Oooo another thread...geez you lot can talk! laughing2.gif  tongue.gif

#3 ~*Bec*~

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

SILVER!!!!!

He he he...we are women of course we can talk alot  tongue.gif

How was everyones weekends?

#4 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

Busy weekend here, but lovely original.gif  My parents and brothers were visiting so had to spend sunday arvo cleaning back up and getting ready for today. I will eventually find time to put up the new bookcases rolleyes.gif  laughing2.gif

Today is shaping up to be a good day out there ddance.gif means that we can spend more time out there and less time cleaning tonight! cclap.gif grin.gif

What does everyone have planned?

#5 ~*Bec*~

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

My plan for today is to go to the mall first thing this morning and buy some more picture frames for the pictures i have had sitting in the cupboard for almost 2 years and finally put them up  original.gif
Then the kids can have a play out side again for me the more time outside the less cleaning inside  tongue.gif
Then the boys can have a nap and kaitlyn will more than likely stay playing outside or watch a movie or do some craft ( i started showing her how to do french knitting wacko.gif ).
Other than that im going to be floating aroung doing some washing and cleaning the bathroom and toilet (unless the cleaning fairy comes and does it all for me  biggrin.gif )

Have a good day ladies ill be back later to catch up on your day !!!

#6 daretofly

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:03 AM

Hi. Well I have just had to ring parents and cancel care due to being up with two vomiting children throughout the night and feeling rather queasy myself now. (mind you I have a huge phobia about vomiting and this could be why I feel sick now).

I feel bad when i have to cancel care and I think it must be one of the really annoying things for the parents about FDC when a carer rings in the morning and says they can't care that day.

Anyway hopefully you all have a good day and hopefully my other child remains vomit free as she has a phobia to it too and is worse then me.

Catch you all later.

#7 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:21 AM

daretofly - hope your house quickly recovers. hhugs.gif I would probably feel sick too after dealing with vomit all night! sick.gif  Take care

Bec -  laughing2.gif at getting the frames for the pics. I have had empty frames on the wall since I started and have yet to print the pics to put in them ph34r.gif  If you find that cleaning fairy send them my way...I have a unit inspection on Wednesday ohmy.gif

#8 *~Bee~*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hi everyone.

I had my appointment with my scheme on Friday afternoon. The guy was really nice. We had to go through about 50 questions, mainly hypothetical ones. He was really impressed and said he could tell I had the background in childcare. A few of the baby questions nearly stumped me though cause its been awhile, but he was happy.

He is going to come out either Wed or Thurs to do my first home safety check. So we spent all weekend trying to get things organised. Still havent got the safety film yet, but everything else is secure for the moment. At least I think so unsure.gif?

Thanks for the info on bedding. I think I will put aside some money for more portacots or toddler beds and just wait and see, and buy it when I need it. I definitly have to get a few more cot sheet sets though.

What is everyones ratio of child to carer? My scheme is run by the local council and they are 1:7 with only 5 being allowed for under 5's. So with my two over 5 I can take in 5 children during the day.
My scheme definitly doesnt do two carers in one house. Although you two can do it separately and just visit each other ALOT if you live close.

I am going to take 24/7 for the first year or two aswell, then look at dropping down to 5 kids on 4 days. I have quite a few things I want to set up and the extra money would help that. I am thinking of looking into a bigger car, which would be the first thing on my list once I have a few regular kids.

So I still have on my To Do List (for before I start):
Safety Film
Anything else they want done, from my inspection
Build a sandpit

The rest I can get as I go.

daretofly ~ hope you dont get sick too, I am sure the parents understand. Do you have another FDC'er that your kids go to when you are sick? My DD is in FDC and she goes to another carer around the corner when her carer is sick. And her carer visits with the other carer pretty often so DD is happy there.

#9 daretofly

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

Bee and Willambian - Thanks. Hopefully they recover quickly. It's frustrating because i have to cancel care tomorrow too because i don't like sending the kids to school if it has been less then 24 hours since they last vomited and risk other kids catching it.

Do you have another FDC'er that your kids go to when you are sick?

Unfortunately the carers I network with have mondays off. The only one that works was actually having today off and i was meant to have her DD so she could take her DS to an appointment.

What is everyones ratio of child to carer? My scheme is run by the local council and they are 1:7 with only 5 being allowed for under 5's. So with my two over 5 I can take in 5 children during the day.

I am in south Australia (FDC comes under DECS and is then depending on the area run by a scheme) and our ratio is 1:7 with only 4 under school age. All my children are at school so I can have my four but I also have children with additional needs and depending on how high their needs are I limit how many other children i have in care. (On Tuesdays and thursdays I will only have three and

My scheme definitly doesnt do two carers in one house. Although you two can do it separately and just visit each other ALOT if you live close.

Ours doesn't either. i know a husband and wife team and they are only allowed to have the same number of children as the rest of us carers.

According to our new poliies we are not allowed to visit other carers for longer then two hours as we have to keep in mind ratios.

Have a good day today. I need to hang more washing out, more in and look at scrubbing the mattress's that got put outside during the night  sick.gif

Edited by daretofly, 25 August 2008 - 09:17 AM.

#10 aejsmum

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

Daretofly - Oh no, I hate it when my family is sick, I can not stand vomiting! Blah hope you all feel better soon!

I am getting really excited, my first visit tomorrow is just for a chat i think, a basic look over the house but certainly not the be all end all visit.

Question regarding the Government Grant. How long did it take for you to recieve yours once you applied? Is it a check or direct deposit? Do you need to pay for things first and they reimburse your receipt??

#11 *~Bee~*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

Another question ~ Who here has an ABN, and do I need to get one?

#12 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

I have an ABN - you need one if you want the grant

The grant took about three months to get to me after I opened. Maybe four weeks after I applied. I think it was direct deposited but I don't remember so don't hold me to that. Your just have to prove that you spent that money on DC if they ask later. original.gif I think they can ask about 5 years after you receive it too

Edited by Willambian, 25 August 2008 - 12:02 PM.

#13 ChunkyChook

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:03 PM

Morning all, just!

I have had a busy morning with Drs appointments and dropping DD at daycare. So glad I dont work Mondays.

Amber I plan to clean out the cupboard under the kitchen sink then go through all my storage shelves in the laundry and chuck half of it. I am a hoarder and I have been really brave these past few weeks with throwing stuff out. Over HALF the stuff in the shed was thrown out last Monday. So I want to keep at it while I am on a roll.

daretofly hope everyone has a speedy recovery. I feel the same with cancling care. I dont ever want to do it. I am lucky enough to be able to send DD to mums if she is sick and I haven't been sick yet *touch wood*

Bee you can use clear contact instead of safety film. That's what I used. My safety lady actually suggested it.
Our scheme has the same ratio as yours.

We aren't allowed more than one carer per house. My scheme said exactly was Amber? said at the end of the other thread about it being turned into a centre.

You can apply for an ABN online thats where I did it. You have to have one to apply for the start up grant.

aejsmum my money took about 3 months to come through and it was put straight in my account that I nominated on the forms I filled out to apply.
You HAVE to spend it on theing directly for FDC. You have to keep receipts for 5 years after the date you are approved. They can ask for them at any time. And the receipts are only to be dated from when you were approved, so the $2,800 I spent before I was approved isn't included  rant.gif

Off to get a few things done and eat something, I haven't eaten yet.

#14 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

And the receipts are only to be dated from when you were approved, so the $2,800 I spent before I was approved isn't included

Hmmm I didn't know this. Seems silly that the start-up grant can't be used to re-imburse yourself the start-up cost! rant.gif  Wonder how much I have spent on FDC other than start-up costs....and would it include the % of rent that you allocate to FDC or just materials and resources??

Kodi - Another hoarder here! I have been de-cluttering the house and if I do the same cupboard/room/area 2 times I am actually able to get rid of all the junk. Being brave on the first cull then getting braver on the second! laughing2.gif  And making DF cull his cr@p too! Of course I am really just making room for more useful cr@p is what I am doing...I can't stop buying stuff for FDC. I am going to sit down and do a budget very soon that I intend to stick to unsure.gif  grin.gif

DF would have loved to do FDC with me (and the kids would have loved it) if we could have 2x the kids. But we don't want to register as a child care so not going to happen sad.gif

#15 *~Bee~*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:41 PM

Ok so I definitely want to grant so am going to get an ABN. You apply for one as a sole trader right?

I was thinking of putting the grant money aside to help cover bills while I start up, guess not!

So I should really not buy anything else and just have a list of things I want and get it when the grant comes in. Like I could leave the toddler beds, carseats and double pram till then. I am sure that would make it add up pretty quick huh!

#16 troysmum

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:51 PM

Just wondering what state you live in to be able to use clear contact for your glass.We had to have proper safety film and applied by  a professional ,also had to show the evidence at the coordination unit ,which is then put on our file. We even needto apply the safety film to glass cabinets etc.
Withthe abn number you have to use on as you are classed as a business,and for tax purposes.
                     Troysmum

#17 *~Bee~*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:01 PM

Thanks troysmum. and my scheme said the same things about glass, any bigger than a (certain size) had to be safety filmed. Anything smaller can have contact on it or be barricaded off, and considering we have to fence of the step and fireplace dont really want any more safety gates up LOL

Ok applying for an ABN now.

I am nervous about my inspection. We only bought the house a few months ago so the backyard needs work, but the section the kids will be in is fine I think.

#18 ~*Bec*~

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:20 PM

*~Bee~* - As long as the children will be safe n your yard then you will be fine, make sure there is nothing they can climb (besides play equipment) eg: my gate at the front needed to be meshed up because the children (if they thought about it) could put there feet inside the holes and climb ove rit and fall to the other side. If you have a deck it needs something around it to stop the children from being able to climb the posts, if you ahve a pond it needs to be hard wearing and covered, if there are any pot holes in your yard they need to be infilled, if there are loose cords or wired they need to be removed, any manure or soils that are harmfull to children need to be stored out of reach of ALL children (including 12 yr olds) and all sheds and garages are to be locked with padlocks or keys.

Any rooms inside your house that you have no intension on using for FDC need to have child proof locks on the doors, all cupboards and drawers need to be cleared of any harmfull(if eaten) products, the toilet MUST NOT have a disenfectant cleaner inside it eg:something to make your toilet water blue, the toilet spray needs to be out of reach of children, the toilet brush needs to be put away. Make sure you have everything secure and you will be fine...

WOW i just realised all the things i went through, what a pain. laughing2.gif

Edited by beccalyn, 25 August 2008 - 02:24 PM.

#19 *~Bee~*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Bec, that was really helpful. I think the backyard will be fine but I didnt think about the bathroom, and will have a few things to do when I get home.

Anything else I could be forgetting before my appointment.

#20 ~*Bec*~

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:00 PM

what rooms are you using?
Have you looked into the kitchen, covered all the cupboards ALL CUPBOARDS AND DRAWERS.
Have you locked the laundry door?
covered any stairs?
Hidden all CD's and Dvd's?
Put stickers on the glass sliding doors? (even if its saftey glass there needs to be stickers at the childrens eye levels so they dont run into the glass).
If you have a fish tank make sure its closed over.
Lock the fridge and the microwave.
all strings on the curtains need to not be down low (so children can not hang themselves or get caught up in them).
All cots and portacots have to be australian standards.
Your car must be covered for Rego and have a service recently completed.
If you have a dog it must be in a place that the children can not get to it.
Make sure all rugs and mats have either non slip backings or backing material under them.
Hmmm anyone else think of anything?

Edited by beccalyn, 25 August 2008 - 03:10 PM.

#21 *~Bee~*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:07 PM

Loungeroom & Dining only. Oh and I may use the spare room for beds if need be

#22 ~*Bec*~

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

I guess ive pretty much covered everything i think  unsure.gif . Just make sure its SAFE.

#23 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:46 PM

You can have blue loo stuff so long as its in the tank and not one of the ones that hang inside the toilet bowl.

You can keep things in your cupboards so long as they are locked.

Make sure medications are locked in the fridge/cupboard or up high. I use a locked box in the fridge so I don't have to lock the whole fridge

Remember that if you are in initial stages of set-up that they will tell you what you need to do to be ready then come back for another inspection before you start. original.gif

I have a question though - why can I have a bin/nappy bucket to put the dirty nappies in but not a nappy bucket to store dirty cloth nappies??? Whats the difference? unsure.gif  Will have to ask my scheme when I talk to them now that I have gone back to cloth nappies. shrug.gif

On Friday my scheme are having their annual thankyou dinner to carers so I will ask then unless someone comes out this week original.gif

Edited by Willambian, 25 August 2008 - 03:47 PM.

#24 ~*Bec*~

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:56 PM

I have a question though - why can I have a bin/nappy bucket to put the dirty nappies in but not a nappy bucket to store dirty cloth nappies??? Whats the difference?

No idea, however i put all my nappies directly in the bin as one of my day care children likes to play in the mess sick.gif ....

When i had my inspection the ladies stood there and made me pull everything out and put it in the laundry as it was locked.
But Yes you do get 2 inspections they will come back to double check before you start.

#25 aejsmum

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

How do you keep track of your finances? What systems do you use, programs etc.. where do you keep your records, filing, receipts, purchase orders etc?? Do you use a computer program (if so which one) or manual paper files?

I have my initial interview tomorrow, i;m very excited but also a tad scared!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.