FDC Chat #2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
108 replies to this topic

#26 4lildarlins

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

Hi girls .. I cannot keep up, and am so busy .. how will I fit in work as well  wink.gif

I am so close now. I have had the car inspection, the restraint inspection and now just my first aid tomorrow and then my final safety inspection and I will be done hooray!!

Still however waiting on the Blue Card  rant.gif  cry1.gif

Our orientation covers Quality assurance, interviewing parents, programming, the child care act etc etc.

I am hoping to use Harmony Light to keep track of it all .. but it seems very daunting  wacko.gif

Kodi I did read that you can use the grant to reimburse money already spent as long as you have reciepts .. I am sure I read it on the website recently too.

I have spent so much money  blush.gif  My kids are loving all this new stuff  laughing2.gif They think it is the best thing Mummy ever did ... even went to the toyshop and one said "can we have this, I will share it with daycare so you can get the money back"  laughing2.gif

Have a full on week ahead so may catch you all on the weekend ...

Happy child caring  wub.gif

#27 forestfriends

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:21 PM

Wow hadn't realised we had shifted to a 2nd chat thread! lots to cathch up on. Well I'm off to the vet my dog has had a bad turn and may not make it.

Chat soon. x

Beau ended up having a stroke but is being monitored closely today just in case. May end up with three kids and the dog at the vet again today :-(

Edited by forestfriends, 26 August 2008 - 07:03 AM.

#28 ~*Bec*~

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:32 PM

aejsmum - I keep track of everything by reciept book and log in/sign in forms, at the end of the tax financial year FDC scheme sends me my paper work with total income.
I do not have any programs i use log books and a filing cabnit, each child has there own file and all paper works are kept in this. I have a financial year diary that i keep my daily activity in outtings, purchases, carer Levy, washing fee's, electricity Hours. Slipped into the diary i carry my reciept book which has a different coloum for the date puchased, purchased at?, item bought, and the ammount it cost. You could do this on a spread sheet if you liked.

Everything is all manual here original.gif

Good luck tommorow...

#29 aejsmum

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

Thanks,

I think I will have a chat to the ladies tomorrow and see what the usual way is. I'm heading more towards computer based record keeping, that way I can upload files for back up and link everything together, scan in copies of childrens artwork and craft.

[b]Another Question: [/b]Bunk beds, are you allowed to have them? I've put all 3 of my children in the one room and was planning to get bunks and have a single bed, or bunks with a trundle. Though I'm not sure how other parents or the scheme feels about it? The children will NOT be allowed on the top bunk and will sleep either on the trundle or the single beds (with their own foam matress and sheets) or in porta cots. But just thought i'd see if there was any info here. I will have to add that to my list of questions for tomorrow.

Edited by aejsmum, 25 August 2008 - 09:26 PM.

#30 ~*Bec*~

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:48 PM

There is a system you can use called Harmony light, its automatic and you ust out in your figures and it adds everything for you.
Ask them about it i know it costs money to buy it but it would be claimable on tax.

Not sure about bunk beds, i have them but not for the day care kiddies and i have put the ladder away.

#31 biene_maja

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:28 AM

Hi everyone,

Before I forget for forestfriends - Click on my username and then I've got my website listed there. It's not a FDC site but something else I started a year ago.

Thanks for all your answers to my ratio questions.

I still haven't heard back from my scheme about it.

I've been thinking about whether this (see below) might be possible:

Couldn't I offer nannysharing from my house with this friend. That way we can have a 2:8 ratio and set our own rules as long as parents agree. I was thinking of lowering the rate so that it would be affordable even without rebate.
We'd still get insurance, childproof the house,working with chn and police check/first aid etc.

Do you know if there are any regulations against that?

#32 ChunkyChook

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:46 AM

Wow maren, I thought I was up early at 6.30.

I have ben sitting here waiting and waiting for my 7.00 kids to arrive and just got a phone call that they are away and I have the day off!!!! They live an hour away so if one of them is sick the mum doesn't drive them here just for the day and because they are brothers neither of them come.

I sat up into the late hours of the night doing a heap of paper work. Nearly finished now. But then a heap more will need to be done.

maren I am unsure about how it all works. I was actualy going to ask about something similar myself. I want to keep doing FDC but hen run 'babysitting' after hours and weekends. My scheme does after hours and weekends but they would have to register throught the scheme so I could care for them. I'd rather do it seperately and make my own set of forms and rules for it and advertise.

Would I need a new ABN for that one does anyone know?

#33 forestfriends

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:03 AM

As a sole trader you are only entitled to one ABN number but you can have unlimited number of businesss linked to that one ABN you just need to register a seperate business name if you intend running the babysitting as a side business. You would also need to declare all earnings if you were to set it up as a business.

I currently run a babysitting agency here in brisbane I started with this business prior to running family day care. It is more indepth than just a babysitting service for your family day care families. If you only intended doing with your FDC families then it may be best to mention it to them as a private matter seperately rather than making it a business. I know with many schemes in brisbane if they thought I was taking FDC clients away from their scheme then I would have my contract cancelled. Just be careful and if you do intend doing it as a business inform your scheme. Perhaps offer the option of I will recommend that the families call the scheme however if nobody is available then I am happy to help, or else have them ask for you when wanting that after hours work done. If they are not FDC families it would be an easier idea just to do it privatly.

Well I have my 8.30 child starting shortly so better go finish setting up, chat later. Enjoy your day off

#34 ChunkyChook

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:21 AM

I am aiming for non FDC families.

So they dont have to sign up to FDC just for the occassional night or few hours. I am happy to do FDC children through the scheme how we usually do it.

How do I do it privately?

#35 biene_maja

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

Hi again,

Yes, I was up really early. Had to put some overseas visitors on a bus to the airport.

I just got a call back from my scheme and 2 carers in one house are not allowed at all.

So I'll be looking at the "unregistered" option more closely. Haven't said no to FDC yet.

Kodi - I think if you want to offer extra babysitting you can just let your families know and just do cash in hand like all babysitters.

#36 forestfriends

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

Hi Maren

If I may add my two cents worth. I was knocked back by 4 schemes before being successful as I also run another business which was seen as a conflict of interst. I looked into great detail setting up an unregistered care service. I dont know what state you are in or shire but for me to do that there was a few things that had to be done.

Firstly my shire has a set process you need to follow to run a business from home (whereby someone is coming into your home for a service). As it was childcare based I had to have specific parking requirements, had to have a certain number of access points, my driveway had to be able to be exited and entered from two different points, on top of that I had to get council permits to run the business from home. All up was going to cost me close to $30,000 just to set it up to their standards.

Then I looked at what advantages FDC had over standalone (unregistered) care for parents, and found that they were actually disadvantaged if they chose unregistered care. This type of care is not entitled to CCB rebates, nor the tax rebate. The only rebate you could offer was that which a nanny could - registered care CCB rate which is equal to 54c per hour (not a huge discount for parents). I know also for many parents cost is put before quality and this was a big issue....was going to cost $30,000 to set up but then I wasnt going to be able to find the families willing to pay.

If you are happy with a lower rate it may be ok but you would have to make it attractive to families but also viable for you to run. To offer parents CCB (like a FDC or childcare centre) you need to be licensed. To be licensed you need to be accredited, and the national accreditation council will not licence/accredite standalone care services even if you volunteer!

Anyway thats my two cents, I have investigated it thoroughly and was so thankful that I finally found a scheme that would accept me.

Goodluck with it

#37 aejsmum

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

Basically my meeting this morning was a flop.

If I want to do FDC I need a new house. The cost of fixing this house up are not worth, despite all the effort it still wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing. So I'm off to start saving and looking for a new house that requires no work and looks nice. Basically I will be doubling my rent to run FDC. I really want to do it so it is a cost that will be worth it in the long run.

I should be receiving my tax back in the next few weeks so that will cover moving costs.

On a plus I'm excited about moving, finally getting a new house, a little scared about paying so much in rent but i really think the benefits will outweigh the cost. Plus it will be nice to have a newish looking house that I won't be embarrassed about. My house is neat, clean and tidy, but it's the kind of old house that no matter how much you clean it it still looks dingy iykwim?

Edited by aejsmum, 26 August 2008 - 01:01 PM.

#38 biene_maja

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hey,

aejsmum - Not good news. Sorry to hear that. Is there still going to be any FDC income left after the rent?

forestfriends - Thanks heaps for your advice! How annoying though. Makes we wonder if I should just set it up without ABN. They make everything so complicated.

I asked the scheme lady why 2 carers are not allowed and her answer was that if I took 1 child to the toilet, the other carer would be left with 7 kids.
I didn't say anything but that sooo doesn't make sense. If I'm by myself and take 1 child to the toilet, the other 3 would be left with no supervision at all. blink.gif
I think the first option is much better.

Off to do more research....

#39 aejsmum

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:16 PM

Yeah there will be. We currently pay $230 a week in rent, I'd be looking at $350-$400 a week for a new type brick house. It's a positive kick up the but as it will be 3-4bedrooms, 1/2 bathrooms (hopefully ensuit), nice yard and lock up garage. We are currently in a 2 bedroom (with small sunroom) house with one bathroom, no garage and a old home.

#40 biene_maja

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

Rents are so out of control, aren't they.

I'd so glad we bought last year.

Good Luck!

#41 aejsmum

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:13 PM

We seriously have the cheapest house in the suburb. You can't even get a 1 bedroom unit for that price. I have no idea wether it's worth spending the money moving, or doing reno's on a rental...argh...

#42 ChunkyChook

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:58 PM

Oh no aejsmum. Any chance on letting you renovate a bit to fix it up and paying cheaper rent?

I have just been on the phone to my tax man  cry1.gif

Also rang to organise Cert III but after the tax man I dont think I can afford it.  cry1.gif

About to attack my reciepts, bit scary.

#43 aejsmum

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

Yeah we can renovate but the cost for the house just isn't worth it. Would rather pay that money into a nicer newer house.

What's the matter Kodi with the tax man??? Hope it's nothing to serious!

#44 ChunkyChook

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

I have to pay  cry1.gif  quite a bit.

#45 aejsmum

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

ouch.... can you pay it off??

I guess it's a wise thing to do then to put money aside each pay..... what a harsh way to learn... good luck.

#46 ChunkyChook

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:47 PM

I have the money here, it's from my dads death benefit. He died last year. I just dont want to give them more money. They already took over $10,000 in tax and they want more.

#47 aejsmum

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:48 PM

Wow, can I ask how much you earnt? My DF didn't even pay that much in tax and he earnt around $43k, mind you we need to pay them $1.5k extra....

#48 forestfriends

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:16 PM

So what is everyone doing for fathers day gifts? I've decided to go with the tradtional footprints + daddy poem and I am going to frame them and then have the kids make some gingerbread men decorated like their dad's! gift wrapped. Helpful that i only have 5 kids in care at the moment but may do a trial run at playgroup first!

#49 aejsmum

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

Ohh that's an excellent idea! I should do something like that with my own kids for their dad. Father's day has snuck up on me this year.

#50 daretofly

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

Hi all.
Well it is still the sick house here. Just cancelled care for tommorrow. One of them is going to a back up carer, the other family I am hoping to switch to thursday.
So far one of my DD's and I are the only ones that haven't had it. I actually thought DS13 was better but his temp has shot up again and he is quite shaky and unwell, although not nauseous or anything.
DD5 is well enough, no temp but slight diahrear, so she will be home again tommorrow too!
I so better not get this, it will mean the rest of the week off work, which apart from the major inconvenience this causes for the families, it's money lost too!

aejsmum - We rent and we have the same issues about the house looking daggy. I have just brightened it up as best i can and we have asked the landlord if we can paint and if the flooring can be redone and we will negotiate a rise in rent.

forestfriends - what a great idea. I hope you don't mind but i am going to steal your idea for the gingerbread men. (I will give you all the credit however!)

kodi - you must earn a lot to have to pay. One of my carer friends earnt about $30000 and still didn't have to pay tax.

maren- maybe the scheme is worried it would be too easy for carers to slip into bad habits ie duck out quickly and leave the children all in the care of one carer. (not saying you would do that but the scheme has to think of different scenarios that could happen)

Does anyone recieve the FDCA weekly newsletter via email. They sent me a link today for a new chat forum for carers to chat and exchange ideas etc. PM me if you want the link and I will send it to you.

Enjoy your evenings.

Edited by daretofly, 26 August 2008 - 07:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.