FDC Chat #3

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#51 daretofly

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:26 PM

Hi all. I have a free afternoon as the only child I ended up having has gone home sick.

I would love to go to the conference but definitely can't afford it.

Willambian - I would probably try and fill that childs spot. I often have kids during the school holidays on a waiting list, so if a child is not coming into care I will tell the parent, if I can fill the spot while they are away, I won't charge them. Maybe you could compromise and only charge them for half the time they are away.

Forestfriends - I hope you can pick up some work soon. Maybe you could also give some to other carers who might get asked to take on care but are unable to do it so can pass your details on.

#52 forestfriends

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

There are no other carers in my aea in me scheme the closest is 25mins drive away. Will keep you posted.

#53 biene_maja

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:25 PM

Forest Friends - Did you get my PM???

Oh wait. Just saw your reply.

#54 heidistar

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:28 AM

Morning Girls,

Just letting you know i'm still around.... I have been reading, just not posting much.

I did apply for a part-time postion in a CCC, but they were concerned that i don't drive, so i think they have decided against me... it was a week ago now, usually if someone likes you in CC in sydney they call you back in a day or two to come & do a trial... but apart from me calling them & them saying they are still interviewing I have heard nothing from them.

I am still tossing around doing FDC here... the house is small & not sure the owner would allow it anyway. But i'm not thinking of asking until we see if we can re-new the lease in Jan anyway.

Fees & Leave Q?: When i was doing FDC i always charged full fees for holidays, sick days etc.... even on public holidays i always said i was available & if they didn't come i charged normal fees & if they did i charged $8 p/h instead of the usual $4.50 (harsh i know, hence i never got anyone on a PH laughing2.gif ). Anyway if they want to hold their position with you i would charge the full-fee as you can't fill their position & would be loosing $$$$.... That being said in the scheme i was in we had a occassional care system & also alternate carer system so some of the days may be able to be filled... but i hardly think a whole 8wks would be filled IYKWIM, so i'd charge the full-fee.

Edited by heidistar, 05 September 2008 - 08:30 AM.

#55 aejsmum

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:55 PM

This is doing my head in :-(

Found a great house (needs a bit of cosmetic work downstairs), a price we can afford, location that is great.

BUT......

My realestate won't say that they will give permission, they don't understand FDC at all, something about legal liability and safety etc.. The FDC will not give them anything in writing guaranteeing safety etc. Or even guarantee that I will be approved. Then they seem to have an issue with me walking everywhere. What if it's raining etc... babies in the pram (I don't plan on taking babies on)... I said well that's why you have umbrella's, rain coats and rain covers. If the parents have issues with that then they can go somewhere else.

How do I explain to the real estate that it's not a liability for them, if something where to happen it would be my legal responsibility (hence the reason for ME having PLI). Where is some info I can give them explaining FDC to them?

I don't want to spend the money moving if the Real Estate won't sign, or I don't get approved for some other reason?? I can't think of any reason I wouldn't be approved, or anything that I couldn't change or fix for approval, but it's such a risk :-(

No real estates even want to know about it. As soon as you say I want to do Family Day Care, they go nup, not touching you, it's a whole different thing to just renting it for yourself. !!!!!

How can I explain to the Real Estate that the owner won't have any legal liability for me doing this?
Did anyone else have these kind of problems??

ETA: I have just spoken to the Famliy DayCare Insurance people, and she is emailing me and information pack for tenants to give to landlords with a bit of an explanation.

Edited by aejsmum, 05 September 2008 - 04:47 PM.

#56 ~*Bec*~

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:58 PM

aejsmum - Sounds like your having fun..... blink.gif

When we were renting i tried to get permission and the same thing happened, the landlord said no as they were afraid for the children. So i put on the water works, finally something happened  unsure.gif  and the landlord gave me permission but only allowing 4 children in her house at a time (which was fine thats all im allowed..LOL)

I also explained to the real estate to tell the landlord i would have to cancel my lease (she looked for 7mths for a tenant before we moved in) if something wasnt to happen as i was not willing to go back to work and we couldnt afford the rent without an income from me. (She didnt need to know we had a house in pending, through inheritance  tongue.gif )

I serious;y hope everything gets sorted out for you and good luck ! original.gif

#57 heidistar

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:36 AM

Hi,

When i was doing FDC in Bathurst we were renting & when we were looking we put in with the application that i wanted to do FDC... We were lucky that the lady that owns the house had had her chn in FDC before & knew all about it original.gif But i did have to sign a letter with the realestate that i would have the insurance (which we have too anyway) & also that if anything was damamged by the chn in care i would have to pay for it to be fixed/replaced etc.... Which even as a normal tentant you would have to pay for damages anyway wacko.gif Your scheme should be able to give you a letter explaining to landlords what FDC is & how it works & also about you insurance & that you will accept responibility for damages.

ETA

Ohhhhhh I Just found this!!!!!

http://www.familydaycare.com.au/documents/...ThatCareKit.pdf

Edited by heidistar, 06 September 2008 - 11:43 AM.

#58 ~*Bec*~

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

QUESTION???

Who wears the family day care shirts (besides kodi) and who has logo's or marketing around the home/car????

Edited by beccalyn, 06 September 2008 - 04:57 PM.

#59 heidistar

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:09 PM

Hi,

When i was doing FDC i brought two shirts from the FDC website & i wore those most days (unless dirty LOL).... I felt that added a professional look to my service + they are very good advertisiment when taking chn on outings. We also wore them when our scheme set up in the shopping centre to promote FDC awareness in our town, it was amazing to see how many people didn't know what it is or that we even had one where i was living.

#60 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

FDC Shirts - I am looking at getting some shirts. If nothing else then I won't have to decide what to wear in the mornings! tongue.gif I agree with Heidistar though that they will look more professional too.

I am feeling very blah about FDC this morning. I love being at home with my DS and I love having the baby (almost one) here - they get along so well! wub.gif  But the twins are really just irratating me atm They just don't participate and will sit there all day reading the same book if I don't push them to do other things. They have been here 9 months and haven't changed at all at first I thought let them settle, then it was as they get older, then it was just so routine that I didn't really think about it all. I just need a change I think!

So anyone have any fail-proof ideas to get two almost-twos to join in any kind of group activity?? cry1.gif Preferrably before they drive me crazy cry1.gif

#61 forestfriends

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:27 AM

I wear the family day care shirts for two reasons one so i dont ave to decide what to wear each day but also its more professional for the parents to see you taking pride in your work.

In regards to activities with 2-3yr olds generally they are into role playing activities perhaps take them outside with some toys other than books and try and interact with them that way.

#62 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:15 PM

I've tried that....they just play with the grass they are sitting on  wacko.gif  cry1.gif

If I put all the books away they just sit there. The only other thing they play with is the bead run or else they will wait till the books come back or the TV gets turned on.

They don't do craft of any kind (unless you put their hand in the paint and move it around for them) and unless they can eat the ingredients they don't want to know about cooking.

The only thing they even look like enjoying is instruments and dancing...and I can't do that all day! cry1.gif Especially since they are here full-time four days

I really want them to do more and experience more. I have asked the parents what they like to do at home and its always "read books, watch a particular TV show, play with the bead run or read and use a pen on junk mail"

They are not interested in junk mail without the pen here...and a crayon won't do and I won't give them a pen while at FDC with me so that leaves the books and the bead run!

Its driving me crazy today, its like they don't know how to play despite me trying to get them to play for 9 months now ohmy.gif

#63 ~*Bec*~

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

WOW my almost 2 yr old does everything espesially with the older kids.

#64 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

Even my almost-one year old does everything I offer, especially if my 2 1/2 yr old does it!

I know they don't seem to do anything that I would expect they enjoyed. glare.gif My son tries to play with them and I try to play with them but they just are not interested.

These are the first kids that I joined up when I started FDC and they are like none of the other kids I know at that age. It's frustrating as I want them to enjoy being here and I want the other kids to anjoy them here IYKWIM?

Its not that they hate being here. They are usually good (after the initial drop-off, which is also getting better) and full of smiles and stuff just not into doing anything. I guess the main thing is they are happy but we are so limited as to what we can do while they are here. ALL day EVERY day.

My other gripe is that they don't have permisiion to go anywhere other than the park next door despite the initial interview stating exactly what we did each day. We (me and parents) agreed to hold off on the activities until their sleep times didn't run into any of them but now that they sleep at the right times the parent's aren't comfortable with them going anywhere rant.gif  So I am stuck here all day with nothing to do.....

Ha! I actually feel better for venting tongue.gif  Sorry about the vent but it is driving me crazy! wacko.gif

Next year we are upgrading the car and if they don't get permission to come out and about (play sessions, play groups etc - obviously all age appropriate) then I will have to terminate our agreement as this is not what we agreed to.

Sorry about the me whinge blush.gif  - hope you are all having better days! biggrin.gif

Edited by Willambian, 08 September 2008 - 02:59 PM.

#65 ~*Bec*~

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

Oh Amber i would be frustrated! What is it with parents like that my parents want there kids to be going out and about ad doing things not just sitting here, not to mension the fact that if i had to stay here all day i would go insane!  rant.gif

#66 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:53 AM

I think I am insane ph34r.gif  laughing2.gif

At least I stopped the late pick-ups! *fingers crossed*

#67 *~Bee~*

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

Hi everyone. I have been stalking here a bit but forgetting to post LOL

I got my CCR back. YAY this is just going into the bank as a back-up for when I start FDC until my income is regular. Over $2,000 which is terrible considering that is only 30% of what I paid, and thats all before my fees changed and went up.. If I dont start FDC then my Childcare cost for this year would be $11,960! I know you get 50% back now but REALLY you still have to pay it out first. I am also expecting around $500 in Child Support in a few weeks & $1,500 in the grant. Which means when I start I will have about $4,500 in back-up. Which I may need because I pay half the mortgage at the moment and going from a full time wage will be an adjustment. BUT I still have to pay for the window safety film out of that too. I usually get EX's tax check but I am not counting on that.

My house inspection is Thursday afternoon and apart from the safety film I think we will be ok.

First Aid Cert is on the weekend of Sept 20&21.

I have two ladies that are taking holidays in the beginning of Oct so I wont put my notice in until then, but I may be able to start End Oct or Beg Nov. Ohh exciting. Otherwise, I thought if there were any hold ups I could just put my start date as January and start fresh then.

But enough about me LOL

Amber ~ I would have a serious talk with the parents and tell them that they need to seriously consider allowing you to take them out. Otherwise you may need to think whether it might be better to just terminate to contract and fill the spots with other children. Maybe even before you get the car?

Family Day Care Shirts ~ I am thinking I will probably wear the shirts on the days that I am at home atleast. FDC Playgroup days too probably. I think it adds to the professional feel and saves thinking of what to wear. Having said that, both my childrens FDC'ers dont wear the shirts and I think no less of them  laughing2.gif

Kodi ~ Hows everything going? Are things starting to pick up yet. If there is anything I can help with let me know, I sure have been in your shoes.

Heidistar ~ That link is great.

QUESTION ~ I have noticed a few links in this thread(like the one from heidi) that are really helpful for FDC and would probably be helpful to have them easy to find. Do we want to do a LINKS post close to the beginning of each thread with all the links in one. I am happy to do it, unless someone else would prefer. It could include the FDC websites, craft sites, etc. Post any links you use or think are important and I can put them all in one post.

Well better get back to the real world of work before they kick my butt!

Belinda
xxx

#68 4lildarlins

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

hey ladies.

My blue card is still in the processing stage ... some 5 weeks later  rant.gif  and the kids ahve all been to sick to do my last 2 training sessions, so I am back on my original time line of opening day 1 Term 4.

I recieved some tax stuff with my ABN in the post the other day about my online certificate. I have no idea what on earth this is for or about. Can anyone shed some light? I think I may have to get an accountant.

I will be ordering and wearing the shirts. Yep so I do not have to buy clothes and or worry about my stuff getting ruined, but also so my kids no mummy is at work, iykwim.

My kids have been my guinea pigs and we have done an amazing amount of stuff related to the spring theme I started and our playroom looks like a daycare centre .. looks great!!

I just want to get started  grin.gif

#69 ~*kc*~

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

Hi i am looking at starting daycare. Does anyone have any tips or advice? do i get a safety check before i put in the forms or after? How many hours a week do you work?
thanks in advance
casey

#70 ~*Bec*~

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

~*KC*~ - Depends on the state you are in, and the scheme you will work for,  I am in ACT and we do our interveiw and course then the safety check, first aid and complete safety check before having kids IYKWIM  unsure.gif

I work M-F 8-6 with a baby , and i have a 4yr old tues/wed 8:30-5:30 and i have room for more.
I can have 4 uner 5 yrs and i think its 3 after school kids/school age kids.
Next yr i will work 8-6 x 2 kids 10-2 x 1 kid + my own DD & DS and another for after school care 2 x p/w

Good luck, for reference check out :

www.familydaycareaustralia.com.au

#71 *~Bee~*

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

Wow is everyone busy working & playing hard?

I finally had my inspection yesterday. All the things that need to be done are stuff we already knew about and planned on doing before starting anyway. So alll was really great. He said that those stuff have to be done before I can accept a child in care, but he is going to register me now so I can apply for the grant, and start taking interviews.

YAY YAY YAY ddance.gif

So want to see the list of things I have to do:
1. I need CPR charts (he is going to proved them anyway)
2. I need a first aid kit
3. I need a gate at the bottom of my back steps
4. I need to fix the gate on the lefthand side of the house
5. I need to get my fire extinguisher and fire blanket safety checked
6. I need to get 5 small panels of glass safety filmed
7. I need a door put on my external laundry
8. I need to buy a childproof container to house any cleaning chemicals (apparently new work cover regulations mean that a child lock on a cupboard door is no longer enough?)
9. I need to print of Material Safety Data Sheets for those cleaning chemicals
10. I need to put childlocks on the bedroom doors to limit access.

So it seems like a long list but most of the stuff is really easily (and cheaply) fixed. And the gate/door stuff, DP's friend is a carpenter so he will help us out to fix that stuff quickly and cheaply!

He said everything else is GREAT!

#72 ~*Bec*~

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

Bee - thats wonderful, those things are easily done, and first aid kits are cheap as chips at bunnings original.gif

#73 daretofly

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:16 AM

Bee - That's great, you must be so excited that it is all starting to come together! Excuse my ignorance though, what is a material safety data list?

#74 ~*Bec*~

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:46 AM

Isnt that where have a list of the items you have for the kids and tick them off the make sure there safe on certain times of the year (like you would check the swings every so often)  unsure.gif

Just a wild guess.....

#75 Road_to_somewhere

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:44 AM

Morning everyone.
I hope you don't mind me interrupting, I just wanted to ask a question and I didn't want to start a thread. So, as you may or may not know, my son has SN, which basically entail making sure he doesn't choke on his saliva (which he is usually pretty good at but sometimes needs help and a suction) feeding him via NG tube.  Because of these reasons he wouldn't be accepted in a 'regular' CCC, but would FDC be the same? He needs pretty constant attention, but it certainly wouldn't necessarily need one on one. So, would he be ok in a FDC setting?

Again, sorry for interrupting just wanted to ask the question.
Renay  original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.