FDC Chat #3

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#76 ~*Bec*~

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

Mexican - From memory there are people that work in FDC that can cater for your son, you would need an initial interveiw and the FDC mum that chooses you and that you choose would be told about the condition. Together you would work out a daily plan to monitor your son and you would explain EVERYTHING to them that they needed to know to hep in the quality of care towards your son!

I hope this helps a little more, i think you should contact FDC on Monday and arrange to speak to someone, maybe the lady over the phone can give you a few pointers.

#77 daretofly

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

Mexican - Yes he would be definitely ok in a FDC setting. FDC carers who provide care for children with SN get great training and lots of support.
I have a child that comes into care with cerebral palsey. I was trained one on one to be able to do gastric feeds and I have one of his physio's come out on a regular basis to check his equiptment and show me his exercises. I also take him to hydro therapy.
I have attended specific training sessions and novita has sent out lots of reading material and equiptment so that all his needs can be met. Basic signing, ideas for sensory play etc.
The support staff from my scheme are also fantastic. They make sure the carers they reccomend will suit your childs and your families needs and will come out with the family to the carers house for the initial interview to make sure as much information is shared between the carer and family so that the childs needs are able to be met. The support staff are also able to come out at the drop of a hat if the career needs them for any reason whilst the child is in care.(Which I never have but it's nice to know they are there).

I love having this child in care and even though I will have another child in care at the same time (although he is at kindy for half of the day), both children get my attention. I program so it is inclusive for both children.

I live in SA so I can only go by what I know happens in my scheme. Ring the scheme near you and ask to speak to the coordinator of SN.

Edited by daretofly, 14 September 2008 - 08:46 AM.

#78 ChunkyChook

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:43 PM

Hi girls,

Just checking in to let everyone know I am still around.

Been soooo busy. Studying is going well.

I have Mondays off but I am usually busy. Tomorrow is no different.

Will be back soon to read the thread properly.

#79 *~Bee~*

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:10 AM

Hi everyone

Been super busy here too. Got my ABN details yesterday so I can offically start working (except for the things I have to fix). Start my New Carer Training tonight, its every Tuesday night for 6 weeks.

The Mexican - like daretofly said, there is definitely a good chance that you can find a suitable carer in your area. What area are you in? Ring the local council scheme and the docs scheme and start interviewing carers.

#80 *~Bee~*

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:12 PM

Back again

Anyone here using Harmony Light? Reviews, reccommendations, etc? I am thinking of getting it, but not sure just yet. I have the accounting experience so can easily do it by hand (or buy a cheaper version of QB or MYOB really) but I like the idea of tracking absenses, etc etc. The FDC specific stuff.

BTW I start my New Carer Training tonight. Every Tues night for the next 6 weeks. But I can start before I finish if need be. They actually said I dont have to go to all of them cause of my Cert 3, but I am going to. You never know what you might learn and it will be good to suss out anyone starting in my area.

Also I spent half of yesterday doing up files on the computer. Got a Brochure for letter-drop, enrolment forms, fees schedules. Just need to do permission slips I think. Any other forms you ladies have?

#81 daretofly

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

Hi Bee. You can actually trial it for a month. I did and it was great. It stores all your info so if you want to buy it 6 months down the track you won't have to start from scratch. I would love to buy it and one of these days I will.

#82 ~*Bec*~

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:37 PM

i looked into it, its $350, im here to make money not waste it when i can use paper...enlighten me, why would i use that instead of saving my hard earned dollar and writing on paper??

#83 heidistar

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:05 PM

Hey,

I used Harmony Light when i did FDC... I thought it was fantastic & come tax time i could just print out my BAS statements to take to the tax agent. It keep track of the chn in care, fees, absences as well as all my accounting. Also the scheme i was in charged an extra fee for those carers that did not have Harmony due to the extra work in processing their fees etc + having to provide the sign in/out sheets recipts etc for them.... Harmony light allows you to print off all those yourself original.gif

ETA

The cost of buying the program can be totally claimed back on tax as a business expanses.

Edited by heidistar, 16 September 2008 - 10:10 PM.

#84 *~Bee~*

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

i looked into it, its $350, im here to make money not waste it when i can use paper

Bec, this was my consideration but I have decided that I will get it (as long as I can still afford it when I start). I want to put alot of time and effort into programming and portfolios and though it might cost alot to start, if it will save me alot of time to do things like portfolios then it is worth it.

I have money aside to pay the Home Loan while I get up and running, so I am thinking when I get the grant I will buy it.

I had my first session of New Carer Training last night. It was great, and I am glad I went, but they were right in saying I would know pretty much all of it already from my Cert3. But it is worth it to get to know the new carers, the CSO's and for a few FDC specific ideas.

There was this one lady there though wacko.gif who I am sure will not end up being registered as a carer. We were doing a role-playing scenario regarding conflict and resolution and using assertive behaviour to manage that. So we all had to pick a situation of our own that we had been through and write down what should have been said etc
This is what this one lady said regarding her DS's daycare approaching her about his naughty behaviour: "When you approached me about DS's bad behaviour I felt very defensive and angry, because you dont understand that I am going through the same thing. I dont get along well with DS either and sometimes I want to put my hands around his neck and just squeeze ohmy.gif  sad.gif
I hope they get her some help (which I am sure they will) and I really hope they dont place children in her care when it seems she cant cope with her DS ATM. And I really wonder why she wants to do FDC?

Ok going to get back to doing forms etc on the computer. Do any of you have forms that you give to parents when they start? Like 'What to Bring', Daily Schedule?

#85 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

Bee - I hope that lady doesn't end up with other people's children! Its bad enough to say that about your own child, how would she deal with someone else's child if they are 'naughty'?? ohmy.gif

Forms I give out at initial interview are:
* sample routine
* what to bring
* authorised person's to collect form
* fee schedule
* my terms and conditions - with a form to acknowledge reading,understanding and agreeing to them
* paracetamol permission form
* medical form - outlining when they should be kept home from care and when I will ask for them to be picked up
* activity permission form - listing all regular outings
* alternate transport authorisation - for permission to travel on the scheme bus
* all the scheme information- handbooks etc

I also include a healthy lunchbox ideas sheet which has a few new recipes to try.

I hand out all the forms at the interview and go through everything. Then I tell them to go home and think about it before getting back to me. This also gives me a chance to think about whether they are right for me also before agreeing to care for them. If they do not 'fit' with the current arrangements or if I don't feel I cannot meet their requirements and requests.

In my terms and conditions I have written in a four week probation period too. This way if care isn't working out I can easily terminate care at this time as can the family.
Still giving two weeks notice though original.gif

HTH biggrin.gif

I have been busy the last few days getting ready for re-registration (toy audits, yearly safety checks, outlining my goals for the coming years) and as of yesterday I am re-registered for another year! biggrin.gif

Better go as the last of my chn are here. Hope you all have a lovely day biggrin.gif

#86 karen135

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

i have some questions if anyone doest mind to answer i am thinking of doing fdc but my oh has been voicing his concerns

he doesnt want to come home to a house with other people kids hear or having time of with them not that he has much anyway.

he doesnt like the idea of the dog being outisde in the summer all day although they will have plenty of water to drink clam shells to lay in and lots of shade in the area that will be pasificaly for them.

At the earlest he is home 5.15 normaly closer to 6 it all depends on his days work so i was thinking of finishing say 4.30 5 at latest how ddi you over come things like these, what days and hours do you run.

my main concern is space as we donot have a lot of it we have a small ish lounge 3 bedrooms a tiny kitchen and an outside area that can be used but it would need to be maid water tight etc

Edited by karen135, 18 September 2008 - 02:25 PM.

#87 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

Karen - I only have a minute so make it brief

hours
- you can set your own. I work 8am-4pm four days a week. You just need to make it very clear at intervies what you work and your families will have booked care hours that they need to stick to anyway. Just don't accept anyone who wants hours youaren't willing to work.

area - ours is quite small and our outside is small too. but we live next to a park which we visit regularly. contact a scheme in your area and talk to them about it, they are the best judge of how suitable your place will be for FDC. I have a large lounge and converted our garage to a play area. We use these, the kitchen and dining occassionally.

outside - i have no covered areas, in wet weather we stay inside.  wacko.gif

dogs
- we have no pets atm but I am a firm believer in dogs being outside anyway laughing2.gif If they have access to plenty of shade and water I don't see a problem with that. Can they use the shed at all to get inside if needed. Are there areas of the house that they are allowed that you wouldn't be using for FDC. Depending on what hours you set they may only be outside 6-8hours out of a day.

Hope that gives you a start original.gif I am sure others will be along to offer some help later too original.gif

#88 ~*Bec*~

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:10 PM

Karen - I had the same issues with DH, he did not want to come hom to find other kids here. Well since i have started FDC in February he has come home once to see one of the kids (and he came him sick).

hours - I work Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm. I live in a reasonable size house and i only use the family room (the other rooms are my "special" rooms).

pets - I have a dog (shih tzu) he stays outside all day the only times he comes inside is if the weather is poor or the kids are playing outside (there scared of him, his only a puppy), when his inside he stays in the laundry, the laundry door is locked with a latch hook.

Outside - I know some schemes require you have a covered area for the children, my scheme isnt as worried about it however i do have an area with shelter (being upgraded shortly).

I hope all that helps if you like feel free to ask more questions about anything (where abouts are you/what state?) or PM any of us for any info im sure the lovely ladies here wont mind talking to you original.gif

#89 troysmum

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

good on you for wanting to do f.d.c.My only concern would be your partners attitude, in our scheme they actually interview the whole family to see what their attitude is to having rules and regulations in their own home, they then usually make their decision. Anyway goodluck with what you decide to do.

#90 forestfriends

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:09 PM

In regards to Harmony Light - i did the trial version of the prgoram and it was quite helpful however with our scheme we are unable to use any whiteout on any legal documentation so if there was an error on the calculations, or timesheet details printed off by Harmony Light the parents would then need to have a new copy printed and signed prior to submission of timesheet. The time between reprinting, resigning and submitting I found would have resulted in a lot of mucking about so in the end i decided to do it all manually!

#91 tils

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

so if there was an error on the calculations, or timesheet details printed off by Harmony Light the parents would then need to have a new copy printed and signed prior to submission of timesheet.

Are you crazy??!!?? You keep the signed timesheet section and then you print out another "correct" page and staple them together. The only portion that is required for legal reasons which is for the federal government is the signed section.
I personally could not live without harmony. I just do not have the time to waste on doing everything manually. Cheers to all of you who do have that time. I'm jealous!

#92 ChunkyChook

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

Ok I know I have been around much but I need to know if anyone else has changed schemes and how you go about it.

#93 forestfriends

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:07 PM

Tils It must depend on the scheme as mine will not accept amendments made as attaached copies, has to be original documentation and have triplicates. Anyways Harmony Light doesn't work for me but that doesnt mean it cannot work for others  original.gif

In regards to doing it manually only takes me about 3 mins literally per timesheet to complete as most parent are on the same amount per week so its just duplicating the information and we do fortnightly timesheets so calculations are only done fortnightly.

#94 tils

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:48 PM

It must depend on the schemes as I hand in one copy only but that is because my scheme uses harmony as well. The difference in all the schemes is something that I have a problem with. When you are doing paperwork for 15 kids, manual is just too hard. Especially as I am not on CCMS yet. I much rather the computer work it all out for me.

#95 forestfriends

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

Fair enough. We transfer over to CCMS 1st Dec.

#96 daretofly

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

Well I have decided I am definitely getting harmony light this week. I picked up four new kids this week and one of my current children the parent needed more days. I have had to do abit of shuffling but have managed to find places for them. My me time has now been significantly cut back. I need all the help I can get so hopefully the software program will make it easier for me.

My DH is taking my kids out next sunday so i can organise all my paperwork and get harmony up and running properly.
I trialed it a couple of years back so heres hoping it will come back to me.

I am feeling slightly apprehensive about working more but hopefully it will just be til christmas.

Mind you one of the new children is just eight weeks old. She is so tiny. I don't think mine were ever that small, even as newborns. I loved having her.

Anyway I need to get ready for when all the troops start waking. I have two daycare overnight that are amazingly still sleeping.

Hopefully we will see everyone come back on over this week and share how they are all going.

#97 ChunkyChook

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:43 AM

Lucky me has the morning off until 11.

I plan on mowing the lawn today. Mr Jim decided to put it up $12 so I'm not keen.

I'm not sure how to go about changing schemes. I haven't told anyone. I might ring the new one in a few weeks and enquire.

This thread has really died down hasn't it?

#98 ~*Bec*~

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

Yes it has Kodi - It starting being very helpful but then/now everyone seems to be soooo busy, where has everyone gone.

Cant be that busy can you???

#99 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:26 AM

I have retreated into my own hole and am hiding from the FDC kids ph34r.gif  laughing2.gif

#100 forestfriends

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:31 PM

I've been off the thread for a little while as I have had some things to do like:

Visit my neice, Organise end of month for my other business,
I have picked up some more kids so organising interviews and orientations, preparing for a staff meeting next week, writing newsletters and re-organising my rooms to allow for the additional children and ages.

No excuse really  biggrin.gif  I have been reading the threads though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.