Newborn Leg tremors/spasm

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nikki17

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

My DS is now 6 weeks old and ive noticed over the past few weeks both his legs will shake and tremor/spasm every now and then, i had an appointment with the ECN this morning and she wasnt to sure and told me to mention it to the Ped when i go back in 2 weeks time , just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with these as im anxious and hate having to wait another 2 weeks??

Thank you

#2 lululamby

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

Im only talking from my expirience but i think it may just be that their bodies are still so little. Ive noticed even now at 5.5 months his arms shake sometimes like little tremors, I think its something they will eventually gro out of. But by all means if your worried talk it over with your doctor, it cannot hurt to ask.

#3 heather124

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:07 PM

my daughter used to get little tremors where her shoulders and head would shake a little, like when you get shivers up your spine.  I was told that it's just when they're young and their nerves just sometimes misfire and give them shivers.  it happened less and less as my daughter got older and stopped completely probably around 9 months.  But definately get it checked out if you're worried about it.

#4 sarah6110

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:30 AM

Hi, I dont think its anything to worry about.  Vinnie had it from about 2 weeks till 8 weeks or so.  I asked CHN and she called it infant excitability.  When his arms did it I would hold them gently and it would stop, same with his legs.

XX Sarah

#5 rattie

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:17 AM

Yes my DS had this since birth and still gets it when he is tired/hungry.  He's 10 weeks now, it was more pronounced when he was younger.  He also gets a lip/chin shake.

He has recently been diagnosed with reflux and I have been thinking that it could have been connected to the pain (Sandifers Syndrome) but its more likely one of the millions of "baby things" that are perfectly normal and harmless.    biggrin.gif

#6 AuntyK

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:22 AM

Same thing for my DS. The paed at the hospital (he was being checked for something else and we mentioned it to them) said that it is a mild form of hypertonia - so basically an over tightness in the muscles. A severe form would be a palsy. We were told that it is quite common and they should grow out of it over time.

DS is now 5mths and still occasionally does it. We will keep an eye on him though once he starts standing/walking, as it mostly happens when I push on the bottom of his feet.

If you are still concerned though, have it checked. But I am sure it isn't anything sinister. Surprisingly, my GP had never seen it before, neither had my CHN.

K

#7 mumsthe1

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

My DD does the same thing, thanks for the replies ladies, I was thinking that it was something serious, but I can relax now. It started at about 2 weeks also and is getting less and less and she gets older.

#8 nikki17

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:08 PM

thank you so much for all your replies, im so glad that other bubs do it too, n hopefully nothing to major,  n he will grow out of it,

RATTIE - My Ds also has reflux too, so not sure if its related at all?

#9 beabea

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:56 PM

My DS used to shake/tremble/spasm one or both legs, seemed to be related to emptying his bladder.  Grew out of it within... a month or two?  Can't remember exactly.

#10 Fancy Nancy

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

Same here as PP. DS has a spasm in one leg and DD had an all body shiver when weeing   original.gif

#11 Mum2Willie

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

My son started this when he was around 4 wks old.  I asked the paedatrician at his 6wk visit and he said it was perfectly normal and it would just disappear.  He said if he were still 12mths and doing it, then to worry.  DS stopped doing it about 1mth later.  I was worried too but doctor reassured hubby and I.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.