June 02 Parents # 73

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#51 sallan

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

Hi There Nic,
Glad the first day went ok. I find it really strange that the kids dont know who their teacher is before they go to school. I think its a much better idea to tell them at the end of the year, it gives them time to get used to the idea.
Liam will be in a Grade 1/2 this year.
Wow it was hot yesterday and last night was horrible.
We dont put the aircon on at night, mainly because it doesnt really benefit anyone, as its in the kitchen.
The boys did really well. They went to sleep really late 10pm and were up around 6.30am, with Owen only waking once.
We are off to mothers group today, somewhere that has aircon of course!!
Tomorrow Im getting their annual photo done in the morning and then we are onto the family I used to work for, for a visit and a swim in their new pool.
Hope everyone is keeping cool
Sal

#52 Freckles

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

Sally - A lot of schools don't finalise their classes until the pupil-free day at the start if the term, which is why the kids don't know ahead of time. It seems to be quite common in NSW to not know until the first day of school. It's a bit weird to go home though and not know what's happening! LOL Anyway, like Liam, Patrick seems to be happy so it's all good. original.gif On the tooth front I did volunteer to reimburse my sis but she refused. wwhistle.gif Hope Liam's first day goes well. original.gif

Nic - I was glad, like you, that Patrick wasn't put in the same class as a kid that bullied him last year, although he told me yesterday that the kid pushed him over in the play ground yesterday. glare.gif Glad all went well with the first day. original.gif

waves.gif all round. original.gif

#53 nic74g

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

Hi, hope all of you are safe and well. It has been horrible watching the news over the last few days...it feels as though the bad news will never end.

Keeping busy, Aiden going ok at school. Had a few nosebleeds again. I hope he doesn't need his nose cauterised again.

Ella turned FOUR on Friday...where did that time go?

Catch up soon

Nicole

#54 Freckles

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

Hi girls,

Life hasn't been great here, with the heat being as bad as it is! Fortunately it's cooled down a lot this week, enough that Patrick wore a jacket to school today. wacko.gif We've been watching the bushfire news with heavy hearts. It's just awful. I've had to ban Patrick from watching the news as  he started having dreams about our house burning down with us in it! sad.gif

Nic - OMG, how can Ella be 4 already? Wow, that time has absolutely flown! School next year for her?

Hope everyone is well and safe. original.gif

#55 Freckles

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

We had Yr 1 orientation meeting with Patrick's teacher yesterday and it was ... interesting. Andrew wasn't at all impressed, thought she was that nasty B word. ohmy.gif  unsure.gif I want' very impressed either TBH. Patrick is already complaining to me about being bored. I was hoping that this new teacher, who has a reputation of pushing the kids academically, would be good for him but so far it's not been the case. Hopefully things pick up soon! I'm a bit disappointed as last years' teacher was so fabulous. huh.gif

Hope everyone is well. original.gif

#56 sallan

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:32 AM

HI Em,
Thats a bit weird having orientation. Was it for Patrick or you?
Sorry you feel that way about the teacher. Its hard when you dont approve isnt it?
I was a bit disappointed when Liam told me who his teacher was. She doesnt, in my opinion, even look like a teacher. She looks like she is going to the gym!! She wears gym clothes and sometimes tiny shorts and tshirts. Yesterday she had a `Little Miss Trouble ` tshirt on!!
I was also a bit wary of her because when I used to do readers with Liam is his last classroom, all I could hear from the opposite classroom was her shouting at the kids.
Liam really likes her though and says she is fun.
As long as she gets him working hard and he improves with everything Ill be happy.
It must be hard if Patrick doesnt like her though. I would monitor it for a while. It may just be early days

We are going ok at the mo. I am trying to sort out what Im going to do once Owen begins school next year.
I have a childcare qualification that I obtained in the Uk but it isnt recognised here. It would mean re training, which is very annoying.
I would like to be a teachers aid or a kinder assistant and both those roles need the childcare certificate. I was hoping that I might be able to train as I worked but I dont think this is an option.
Its frustrating

Hope everyone else is going ok
Sal

#57 nic74g

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

Hi ladies, I don't really know the teachers at Aiden's school but he is happy with his teacher this year. So far there has been no yelling and he has told me that when children are naughty she takes them aside and speaks with them.

I would like there to be more interaction between teachers and parents so will see how things pan out in the coming weeks.

It is hard to guage exactly what work they are doing at the moment so hopefully when he starts to bring worksheets home I can figure out how he is going. His reading has improved now...sometimes he will read a book to Ella and only need help with compound words. So proud of him.

Sally, I can't believe the teacher wears clothes like that! I bet she is popular with the dad's (lol). If Liam is happy and school work is going well that is the main thing.

He lost his fifth tooth last night. That made him happy too.

I was supposed to have my house and  yard sprayed today but it is so wet they rang and said do you want to hold off. I don't really want to have them come back so it is put off.

DH's work contract is up soon, don't know what is going to happen. I am not enjoying the uncertainty.

Well, better get off the computer, take care all

Nicole

#58 Freckles

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:24 AM

Sally - I was lucky enough to be able to work as a I trained when I first started nursing (15 years ago! ohmy.gif ) but I know it's not possible in all fields. What a bummer! Anyway you can get it started this year and so be qualified by the time Owen starts next year? Just a thought and obviously not sure if that's possible for you. As for O meeting, they have one every year for every grade, so you can meet the teacher and know what the expectations are for your children for the year. I like it as I get to know what his teacher looks like (always a good start! LOL) and what sorts of things are expected from him for the year. For example I worked out that they won't be getting home readers until term 3! (Lots more library borrowing coming on I reckon. blink.gif ) However they have started real homework this year so I guess they are trying to ease them into it. blink.gif

Nic - Hope something gets sorted on the contract front very soon. I understand the stress involved in that. Andrew went into the school holidays and was told that there was a full time, year long contract for him this year. However nothing was signed so there was always a possibility that it would fall through. It's particularly stressful when I don't work! So, hope the uncertainty stops soon wtih good news. Great news on Aiden's reading progressing. original.gif

waves.gif all round. Hope you are all well. original.gif

#59 Guest_chadvikise_*

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

Hi everyone

Not much happening here, just enjoying the last day of my break. I start back at uni tomorrow.

Chloe is well, is enjoying school. Her reading a writing is getting a lot better. She's also doing little aths and calisthenics and enjoying them both. This is her 5th year of calisthenics, almost hard to beleive.

Chloe lost her first tooth on the 3rd, she also has 2 that are wobbly. The bottom adult tooth has started to grow, but behind. I hope once the other teeth are out the way, it moves forward.

Nic: I have a meeting with Chloe's teacher on the 3rd of March. It's standard at the school and basically so the teacher gets to know a bit more about Chloe and I get to know about what they'll be doing this year and what she is expected to be able to do by the end of the year.

Em: I don't have the news on at all. We live close to Kinglake and you can still 2 weeks on smell the awful smoke smell. Chloe asked me this morning again if our house was going to burn down because she went outside and could smell smoke. A teacher who worked at the school last year died in and 2 had to evacuate the Kinglake fires and a few kids from little aths lost everything. Just can't keep them away from it.

#60 nic74g

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:00 PM

Hi again, not too much happening here.
Aiden had school photos today and he wore a tie (so cute). Last year he didn't wear one and 'they' put them on all the kids all skewif so this time we did our own.

We have a parent afternoon this week so will get to chat to the teacher. Aiden is in a demountable and he told me that they are moving out of that in a few weeks to a newer demountable!

Took Ella to daycare today and got a letter from RECEIVERS to inform  parents that the Centre is in receivership! Bugger. Now to have faith in them that they can trade out or move onto another centre while we have time?? I am not a fan of 'for profit' centres but it was the only place I could get when she was a bub.

Keeping busy with work. The arthritis is playing up a bit this week. There is no rhyme or reason to when  it flares up so I get frustrated with it.

Carmen, thinking of you guys down there close to the fires. Hope your little ones are feeling ok. I know my kids had lots of questions and we are in Newcastle!

Well, spose i'd better spend some time with the family.

Take care all

Nicole

#61 Freckles

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

Hi girls,

Not much happening here, just the usual busy times. Big news is that Andrew has an interview tomorrow for a teaching position at the school that he's working at now (and has been for 3 1/2 years). Hopefully we'll know by mid next week if he's got the job. Our parent-teacher interview with Patrick's teacher is next Thursday, which is also the day that I start helping in the classroom with reading. ohmy.gif What was I thinking when I volunteered for that? ddoh.gif biggrin.gif

Carmne - I'm sorry to hear that you have been so impacted by the fires. sad.gif Poor Patrick was having dreams about our house burning down and we're nowhere near it! sad.gif How was your first day back at uni? original.gif

Nic - Boo to nasty arthritis playing up. sad.gif Hope it's eased off agin now. That's too cute about wearing a tie for school photos! Our kids wear polo shirts so no ties for them. School pics this year are on my birthday, so an easy date to remember. biggrin.gif

#62 Freckles

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

eexcite.gif  eexcite.gif  eexcite.gif  eexcite.gif  eexcite.gif  eexcite.gif  eexcite.gif  eexcite.gif
ddance.gif  ddance.gif  ddance.gif  ddance.gif  ddance.gif  ddance.gif  ddance.gif
tthumbs.gif  tthumbs.gif  tthumbs.gif  tthumbs.gif  tthumbs.gif  tthumbs.gif  tthumbs.gif  tthumbs.gif

Can you guess what has me so excited? tongue.gif

ANDREW GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so excited! He's not official yet as apparently they have to wait until the unlucky ones have a chance to appeal the process (but not the selection, weird idea wacko.gif ) and then come mid-next week it will be official. eexcite.gif

So, he's now permanent. As you can imagine this is huge news for us stability-wise. After 4 years of not knowing what is to come the following year we are now able to relax a bit and just enjoy knowing that we are more settled financially. original.gif original.gif original.gif

Hope everyone else is well. original.gif

#63 sallan

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

Oh congratulations EM tthumbs.gif
Bet thats such a relief. Well done to Andrew. Feel a celebration coming on!! biggrin.gif

Youll love the readers. I LOVE it. Its nice to ahve contact with the kids and to see what level they are all on.
Im actually looking into becoming a Teachers Aid, I love being there so much original.gif

Hope everyone else is ok
Sal

#64 nic74g

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:39 AM

Great news Emma. That is really lovely for all off you. I bet DH is over the moon.

I started to help with reading groups last Friday. I am going to try to get there every week. It was good to get a feel for what they do and how they do it.

Well, off to get ready for work. Hope everyone is well.

Nicole

#65 Freckles

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

Thanks girls. It's such a relief to know that he si now permanent, especially with the financial situation being what it is! Just waiting through the appeal days (10 days) and then it should be all offical next week. As it stands his first permanent day will be 20th March. original.gif

I survived reading this morning. biggrin.gif I didn't realise that it was one-on-one! I had visions of sitting in a circle reading for some reason. rolleyes.gif Anyway, I wasn't clock watching and ran out of time before I got to read with Patrick. He got a bit teary about it and so his teacher took pity on him and sent him out to do reading with me, even though reading time was over. He did really well. I had just doen the same book twice in a row with previous kids reading the same level and Patrick impressed me by getting all the hard words right. tthumbs.gif he then answered all the comprehension questions correctly as well, so he (and I LOL) went off with a smile on his face. original.gif

Sally - You are a braver woman than me, training to be a teacher's aide! Is that definitely the plan now? original.gif

Nic - You said that the arthirits was playing up before. How is it now? Hoepfully it has settled for you. original.gif

waves.gif all round. original.gif

#66 sallan

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

Hi Em,
Glad you had fun at school doing readers. I just finished doing them with Liams class.
I find it lots of fun. Liam is now up a level, thank goodness as he was getting bored of the ones he had. He did the same level last term.
He is now on Grade 2 level which amazes me.
He is such an airhead though and takes a while to get through them, unlike some of the others who whizz through them.
I make sure I read with Liam first, no favouritism or anything biggrin.gif
I have some news. I have become a Kaszazz consultant. Well the paper work is all going through as we speak!!! ddance.gif
Im a bit excited.
If any of you are interested, this is the company
www.kaszazz.com
I have my launch party at the end of the month and am already scared!!! oomg2.gif
I plan to start the Teachers Aid course in July. Still doing some research into though.
Its something I want to do. It doesnt pay well but fits in well with the kids and the Kaszazz work too.
Well have to go and get Owen and take him to the Toy lib, he just loves it there. original.gif
Take care all
Sal

#67 Freckles

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

Hi girls,

I had to come in for a little gloat, as apparently it's bad form to boast about your child's progress to other parents at the school. Patrick had his reading assessed last week and is now reading at a higher level than anyone else in his class! ddance.gif He was at 19 and is now at 21. Not sure what happens after 22 as there isn't any books for that (well, not out where I can see tham anyway). unsure.gif So, I'm very happy with his progress in year 1 obviously. biggrin.gif

Sally - How exciting that you are getting into all these things. Have you had your launch party yet? Hope it goes (went maybe LOL) well for you. original.gif

waves.gif all round, hope you are all well. original.gif

#68 sallan

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

HI Em,
Well done to Patrick. ddance.gif  Boast away here!!! We love to hear it!! tthumbs.gif
Not sure what level Liam is on now. I dont know the number as the teachers use a colour and star system. He is definately on Grade 2 level though and about to move up another level in the book system.

My launch is this Sunday. I have 11 friends coming. Bless them, most of them arent very crafty but are coming to support me anyway cclap.gif
Im so excited about it all.
Its a free make and take demo, but I have told them that they wont be allowed home until  they  book a party or order lots of products!!! laughing2.gif

Hope the rest of you guys are ok.
Been thinking about the next party yet?
Liam wants a slot car racing track to come to our house. I have found a company that does that. Its not too bad price wise. In fact DH is taking them there on Sunday afternoon while I do my launch, for an hours racing.
They both love it!!!
Sal

Edited by sallan, 26 March 2009 - 02:02 PM.

#69 nic74g

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hi ladies, still alive. Keeping busy with work, sport, children and all the rest that comes with it.

Aiden has been going well at school. Easter hat parade this week for both. I can't get to Ella's daycare one but should be able to make Aiden's. Mum and dad are going to watch Ella.

Very happy that daylight savings has ended. The mornings were getting to be a killer. This kids were like "it's not daytime yet".

Sally, hope your launch went well.

Hope everyone has a good Easter long weekend next weekend

Cheers

Nicole

#70 Freckles

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:47 AM

Hi girls,

Thought I'd better drop in as it's been best part of a month since anyone posted! Life has been busy here with the school hols. Patrick did a couple of pottery days with my FIL and also did 3 days of vacation care. It wasn't enough though, he was still bored. wacko.gif Nice to have him back at school today. He's looking forward to seeing all his friends again. He's in winter uniform today and is still in the same size trackies as last year! I didn't think to pull out the new ones (bought late last year on special) and he obviously doesn't need them yet. unsure.gif Poot stumpy legged child, like his Daddy. tongue.gif Beth is going great guns, almost 2 now. Talking heaps more, walking everywhere and just generally a nice little girl (between tanties LOL).

Sally - Hope the party went well. Bet you inspired some of your friends to start! biggrin.gif Loved the pic on FB of Liam with his missing front tooth. It hasn't happened here yet, Patrick has still only lost the bottom two.

Nic - We only did Easter hat parade in kindy, so won't do it again until Beth is in kindy. Hope it went well. original.gif We're getting a Mother's Day concert this year (that's the standard year 1 thing apparently) and then Andrew gets the Father's Day concert next year. original.gif

#71 nic74g

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

Glad to see a post in here! Have missed everyone.

I noticed that you mentioned f/b emma, I am on also and would love to add friends. If you would like to add a poor daggy novocastrian please pm me. How sad does that sound?

We are all well. Aiden back at school today and pretty happy about it.

Spent holidays at nans, with me and at vacation care.

Soccer kicks off this weekend so should be fun.

Still at work 3 days a week, pretty busy this week. Tenants are doing it pretty tough at the moment.

Aiden is breathing down my neck for a go on the computer! OMG

Take care all

Nicole

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.