FDC Chat #4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#26 lisacat

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:47 PM

Bec - I am buying in Mcgregor. I know that bel comm services do this area but I have been told that they charge the parents and then pay carers a wage rather than carers setting prices?

Kodi - that is a hard one. I agree about getting info on food, in regards to the clothing maybe do up a handout saying that due to weather becoming warmer and the need for sun protection it is important for children to wear clothing that fully cover the trunk and have sleeves. If it is still an issue or you think it can be classed as neglect (for poor nutrition and inappropriate clothing) then you can talk to the parent/s of you dont feel comfortable then I suggest talking to your coordinator.

Hope this helps.

#27 ~*Bec*~

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

Lisacat - They still have communities @ work over there, ring 6231-2835 and ask them, this way you can set your own fee's and the parents pay you when you wanna be paid.

#28 lisacat

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

Thanks Bec, I like the sound of that better and they have a better rep  biggrin.gif

I find out today if we are definately getting finance, it is so nerve racking, I want to know now  unsure.gif

#29 ~*Bec*~

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

I hear ya ive been thre done all that, and i found myself doing more than normal so i didnt think about it  laughing2.gif

Lisacat - Do you have MSN???

Edited by beccalyn, 08 October 2008 - 03:24 PM.

#30 daretofly

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:49 AM

Kodi - It is actually against policy for us to allow children to bring in unhealthy foods over here in SA and my scheme is quite strict about it.

When I find parents starting to sneak in the unhealthy stuff before it becomes a habit i send home a notice to all parents (so as to not single out one) reminding them about the healthy food policy and that if I find chocolate or cakes/buscuits in their childs luchbox then I will send it back home. They aren't happy about it but there are some kids in care who if I let them would eat junk all the time.

If they don't have anything healthy in their lunchbox make them a sandwich that is and pass the charge on to the parent. Sometimes it is hard to stand your ground but once parents realise you mean it they will do the right thing.

As for the clothes, is it possible they can't afford new ones. Maybe have a chat to your co ordinator about it and see what they suggest.

#31 ~*Bec*~

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

~HELLO~

waves.gif

Where is everyone???
Im falling asleep in here.......

#32 troysmum

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

hi Becayln,
         leeting you know that some are still around. I have just come back from a 2 week holiday in sunny brisbane.i am from victoria, and while i was away itwas cold here.I will be prbably making more trips there as my eldet son has moved there. SO as of tomorrow i am back at work, hopefully the day will go well, as i have one that still after 4 years cries when he comes in especially when there has a  change in his routine. Better go and start planning for the week.only 11 weeks to christmas holidays.

#33 ~*Bec*~

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:02 PM

I shutter at the thoughts christmas is so near  blink.gif  I dont think i am ready for christmas this year.....I have a heap of laybys but no budget set as yet to pay them all off  huh.gif ...

Not to worry im sure i shall be fine  laughing2.gif
Brisbane would have been great i am from canberra its ok here but generally pretty cold.

#34 *~Bee~*

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hi ladies

Remember me? I have been busily setting up everything to start FDC. I have done the safety film, gotten all the toys/prams etc I need. Just having 1 side gate installed on Tuesday and I will be registered later in the week.

Our scheme has been busting for me to start as they are having trouble placing families so they got me to interview someone already and her two boys are booked in for Tues & Thurs starting on the 4th Nov. So my offical start date will be 3rd Nov. Apparently they have a few more for me to interview once I am registered. So its looking good!

Be back soon!

OHHH and I made a sand pit myself, pics are in my blog!

#35 ~*kc*~

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:31 PM

*~Bee~* your sandpit looks great. any chance you can share the measurements? i am in the process of setting up for fdc. i would love to get dp to build your sandpit it looks great. do u have a pic with the cover on it?

how long has it taken you to set up? any tips would be great

cheers

#36 ~*Bec*~

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

~Bee~ - Your sandpit does look good - Im going to get DH to build one around the xmas break, my kids are getting and already have so much outdoor play stuff we are about to rip out the garden and make it into more play space  blush.gif  , in my yard i have: 2 swing sets, a double plastic play set, a single plastic play set, a cubby house, a picnic table (kiddy one), a 2 chair table set (kiddy one), a bouncing ball (like a hopper ball), 3 bikes, 1 scooter, a baby trike mummy handle bike, water/sand table, a 6vt ride on car and 6vt ride on bike.
Now they are getting: a trampoline, monkey bars & see saw.

Phew...i think thats it, hence why summer is for outside play not inside - espesially now as DH has just built us a new pergola biggrin.gif

I think my kids are spoilt (i just have to get a slide)!!

Edited by beccalyn, 13 October 2008 - 06:42 PM.

#37 lisacat

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:20 PM

Hey guys can some of you please share pics of your outdoor and indoor fdc areas please  hands.gif

#38 ~*Bec*~

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:28 AM

Lisacat - I would but its been raining and now we are leaking in the kids area through the roof  rant.gif  ill try and get some good pics on the weekend biggrin.gif

#39 forestfriends

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:42 AM

Lisa Cat - You can find some pics of my play spaces on my website www.forestfriends.com.au

#40 lisacat

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hi ladies,

Just letting you know that DH & I bought a house today ddance.gif  cool.gif
Our settlement isnt till january so it will give me time to get FDC to have a look at it.

#41 forestfriends

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:19 PM

Congratulations ddance.gif hope everything goes well

#42 melanieb530

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:21 AM

Prini - remember that you will be able to claim the $1500 Federal Government FDC Business start up grant which will help with your set up costs

Generally sliding glass doors and glass in bathrooms is already safety glass unless the house is very old

sometimes you can also use various other options (e.g. close off some areas and only use part of the house for FDC or put some furniture in front of a window, e.g. if for example, your state requirement is safety film to 1m then put some toy shelves that are 1m high in front of the windows and fix them to the wall with brackets.)

#43 ~*Bec*~

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

Lisa - Did you buy the house you were looking at in Mcgregor? Im glad you have finally bought one now its time to start getting everything sorted  biggrin.gif  Give me a tinkle on msn if you want some help.

#44 le~mama

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:37 PM

Hi!

I am in EARLY stages of considering FDC - I live in FNQ, and I am only looking at OOSH Care (5-12 years) prob only after school, possibly Vacation Care program.

Few reasons, main being that I am studying to teach Secondary school English and Visual Art (I'm still 1st year at uni), I think I would prefer minding and offering tutoring to school age kids and OOSH suits my schedule with DS starting school next year. I currently work for Surf Lifesaving as well, conducting after school Activity programs.

I don't really have any Q's just yet... just wanted to pop my head in and say HI!

#45 *~Bee~*

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:03 AM

Hi everyone

Just wanted to pop my head back in (and realised we were lost onto the second page blush.gif) and say HI

I am fully registered now and I start on Monday.

So far I have two children booked in for Tuesday & Thursday. I am interviewing two children this afternoon (who have already said they have to go with me cause me scheme had no other carers to option LOL) and they will be Wed Thur & Frid. And I am interviewing a 17mth little girl for what will eventually be Tues, Wed & Thurs but is only starting Thurs to ease her into it.

On Wed I also have to visit a carer who is in my street and is pregnant with twins to help her pass on her children (she only has a few weeks left) as the other carers in the area a pretty full.

So my original plan to do letterbox drops to build up care wont actually be needed by the looks of things. I dont think I will be quiet for long.

Also considering I am filling up so fast I am going to seriously look into getting a 7-8 seater car now as I pretty much need it straight away.

How is everyone else going??

Ohh and I ordered one of those SpringFree Trampolines the other day too for my kids christmas/fdc use LOL

Belinda
xxx

#46 ~*Bec*~

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

Bee - Thats wonderfull news, im so glad your finally starting biggrin.gif

I have my last day with my baby this friday, next week tuesday is PH so i only have my 4yr old on the wed, and a preschool girl on thursday before and after school ddance.gif So my plan should i choose to follow is to get a sitter for my 22 mth old and on wednesday take the 4 yr old and my DD (5) Ten pin bowling, should be fun!!

I am starting my new baby on the 10th November, i am excited he is such a good baby original.gif and im looking foward to getting all my baby toys out again, i am however looking for a walker bouncy thing for him as he loves standing but can not crawl yet, just scootches along on his bum  laughing2.gif

So once my baby starts i have spots available for 1 child under pre school on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays biggrin.gif

#47 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:11 AM

Hey all!

Bec - are you allowed to use walkers? We are allowed the staionary activity tables that stand them up but not a walker. My little one's mum wanted to bring hers in when he started (walks now tho so not a problem original.gif ) but I had to say no. She didn't mind at all though so no worries there. How old is the baby? I miss babies! wub.gif  original.gif  Yah for your last day tomorrow, I as you know, am counting the days until the end of my working year......

ddance.gif 31 woking days to go! ddance.gif
(in case anyone was wondering grin.gif )

Bee - congratulations on being almost full! biggrin.gif When I started it was like that too, wondered if I should do some advertising but was full with in two weeks. The twins are here all day everyday so after my first interview I only had one place available and the baby signed on later that week for everyday too and that was that. Although I am wishing I was more selective now glare.gif but theres always next time I guess hands.gif

le~mama - hi "waves:

I am madly trying to finish off portfolios and art folders atm. Not doing too bad coz my net was disconnected for a week there laughing2.gif Just need to do a little more art with the ones that will do it and then add a few pages to their portfolios each month and I am done. Wanted to get it all up to date and be organised as I am also madly trying to finish planning this wedding before its Christmas and I run out of time ohmy.gif  rolleyes.gif

It can't come quick enough, yet its moving too quick at the same time wacko.gif  laughing2.gif

Catch you all again soon!
Amber biggrin.gif

Edited by Willambian, 30 October 2008 - 09:12 AM.

#48 *~Bee~*

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

Bec ~ Bowling sounds fun. DS wants to go bowling for his birthday with a few friends.

Willambian ~ I can use walkers in my care, but I think thats only cause there is no down steps anywhere. And the up stairs are barracaded off. I dont have a walker yet though, just one of those stationary bouncer ones.

#49 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:30 PM

I have no steps or anything....well apart from to go upstairs and they are barricaded. We just have policies against them.... maybe its a QLD thing shrug.gif

#50 Kplus3

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:35 AM

Hi ladies, It's Kristine (Was AEJ'sMum but can't remember my log in and found my old log in opps)

I have an orientation interview Thursday next week, I'm a little nervous but think I will do a good job! It only goes for 2hrs and they ask heaps of questions etc, the wait afterwards will be a killer.

Bee - Congratulations! Hopefully i'll be following in your footsteps come the new year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.