FDC Chat #4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#51 ~*Bec*~

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

Im not sue about the walkers with wheels however im not a fan of the ones with wheels, im thinking more aong the lines of the stationary ones, like the exersaucer or the buggy at target or something (grr should have got them when they were on clearance  rant.gif ) Ohh well...

Today is my last day with the baby and then no kids till wednesday  grin.gif  so excited but worried about money as well, i guess its only 1 week, life has been worse.

Thats me done rambling im going to finish my lunch and pack to go to Albury tonight...FUN... ddance.gif

#52 ChunkyChook

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:36 PM

Hi Girls,

I have been super busy. Have my last foster care training session on Tuesday so hopefully with Christmas coming I wont have anymore evening events for a while. Between studying classes, FDC training/meetings and Foster training my nights have been busy as.

One of my 4 year old turned up with a mouth full of chewy today  rant.gif  What is wrong with people?

Be back soon with a longer reply.

#53 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:54 PM

Hope you dont mind me barging in and joining the group!  grin.gif Beccalyn pointed it out to me earlier today..

I am at the very very early pre-FDC stage of things and have only just started my cert.III via correspondence.  If I didnt sign my soul away last month then I mightve been tempted to pull out by now - it looks very daunting! But I'm sure I'll get my head around it somehow  wacko.gif  original.gif

a bit about me.. I'm 27 and a SAHM to DS (3) and DD (turning one on the 23rd! sniff sniff cry1.gif )

DS is currently going to preschool twice a week - I'm hoping to increase that to 3 or 4 days so I can study.

Speaking of which I can hear him torturing the kitten in the lounge - better go and rescue her  rolleyes.gif

#54 ~*Bec*~

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

Hi Twinkie im glad you found us, My name is Rebecca and i live in Canberra, i have been doing FDC for almost 1 full year, i have 4 children in care including my own. I have a 5 year DD kaitlyn and a 23mth old DS jaykub, i love being able to stay at home and do FDC as this is the best way to earn some extra money and stay at home with my own kids biggrin.gif

Im sure you will enjoy your FDC journey and i hope you ask or find all the answers to your questions on our thread original.gif

HTH, how is everyone else???

#55 Kplus3

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:12 PM

I found this poem that i thought you ladies might like

Although I'm not their Mother,
I care for them each day.
I cuddle, sing, and read to them,
And watch them as they play.
I see each new accomplishment,
and help them grow and learn.
I understand their language,
and I listen with concern.
They come to me for comfort,
And I kiss away their tears.
They proudly show their work to me,
I give the loudest cheers!
No, I am not their mother,
But my role is just as strong.
I nurture them and keep them safe,
Though it may not be for long.
I know someday the time may come,
When we will have to part,
But I know each child I've cared for
Is forever in my heart!
~ Author Unknown

#56 forestfriends

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:16 PM

How lovely, im going to print it up and put it up on the wall next to my kids pockets! Thanks for sharing original.gif

#57 Kplus3

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:24 PM

Not a problem!

I've just been doing a bit of research (googling other family day care websites to get ideas of set up etc) and came across it on the front of a ladies website. Thought it would be beautiful  and wanted to share :-)

Now i'm just trying to find where some of the ladies get their kids wardrobe/hanger/stand things from! They are awesome!

#58 forestfriends

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

I bought mine from Big W in the laundry section only a very basic rack but i use it to hang my dress ups on. There is a pic on my website of it www.forestfriends.com.au

do you have msn

#59 Kplus3

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

No,

I'm on a mac so I have iChat..

#60 Kplus3

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:38 AM

WINDOWS

What are your schemes regulations? Mine says that all windows above 1.75m need to either be security screened or key locked so that they can only open 10cm. Now I think screening the entire second story of a house will be a tad expensive so I am considering going the key lock option. I will need to purchase a portable air condition for the summer months. I think only being able to open my windows 10cm will make the house a little hot. Winter it will be fine.

How much do you find your electricity bill goes up with the air-condition?

#61 Brolynbub

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:22 AM

original.gif Hi Guys, I hope you dont mind me joining in, my name is Lyn and I do Family Day Care in Tweed Heads. I am full at the moment, but when a couple of my girls head off to school and preschool next year I will have a full time spot that needs to be filled. I have been doing FDC for 2.5 years now, and have 1 more week of work before a much needed 2 week break! I cant wait! Look forward to chatting to everyone original.gif

#62 daretofly

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:14 AM

Hi all.

Wow it has been very quiet in here lately.

Well I have had an awful week starting with a car accident on monday that has resulted in my car being written off. rant.gif

It was really awful as I had a daycare child with me when it happened and the pure panic I felt when he was crying hysterically from the back of the car is something I definitely do not want to feel again.

We are both okay, were a little sore for a few days and his parents were amazing and made sure I knew that they in no way blamed me (especially since it wasn't my fault) but I still felt really bad and everytime I looked at their ds I just wanted to cry.

As for my car, it has been really disruptive to my business without one. I have had to cancel all before and after school care. Have also had to cancel the care for the child that comes in with additional needs as I have been unable to lift him.

It will be another week before I am back on the road and meanwhile parents are inconvenienced(although they are all being really great about it) and I am losing money.

Anyway rant over. On the plus side (not that there is really one when having a car accident) butit was a very nasty accident and both my daycare child and myself were lucky to only have been a bit sore for a few days after. His carseat certainly did its job and I am relieved i had him in one despite him being 5 and knowing many others doin't put that age in one.

Welcome to all you newbies. Hopefully we can all share some ideas with christmas coming up.

Edited by daretofly, 14 November 2008 - 08:16 AM.

#63 Kplus3

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

omg I am so glad you and your FDCS are ok! How are you feeling now?? I hope you get another car soon and things start to look up.

Take Care!

MY Application is going well, they have contacted my referees and I have sent of my blue card application (and DF's)....

#64 MADHOUSEMUM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:47 AM

Hi everyone,
Mind if I join in?
I am at the very beginning of the process to start FDC next year. I took my application form and sign off from my doctor in and having a 'walk through' with FDC people this Tuesday. I know there are a few things I need to fix up ie: blind cords, a lock on my back gate, some more locks on cupboards etc.
I have 4 girls of my own, Jasmine 21, Camielle 19 (both living out of home) Angela 17 and Emma 3 both at home.
I will be looking at working 4 days a week and will probably start off with 2 kiddies and work up to 4 (besides Emma).
A couple of questions:
Can anyone in NSW give me an idea of the fee structure?

I need to somehow put on a lock on my kitchen draws but living in a rental, any ideas how to do this without it being permanent?

I look forward to getting to know everyone in here and getting great ideas and support as well.

Daretofly - glad you and the kiddie are okay,,sounds rather traumatic,,hope you get your car soon.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone,

Christine

Edited by MADHOUSEMUM, 30 November 2008 - 07:49 AM.

#65 daretofly

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:18 AM

Welcome MADHOUSEMUM.

It's always going to be tricky doing FDC in a rental. We rent too and sometimes you just have to be a bit more creative when you try to work out how things can be done.

I'm not sure what to suggest about the drawers. I only have locks for my cupboards and don't keep anything sharp or dangerous in my drawers. (Mind you the drawers are difficult to open anyway!)

Goodluck with the walk through. I love doing FDC and I hope you will love it too.
Keep us updated on how everything goes.

As for my car, I have a new one now. It's slightly better then my old one and I was just so relieved to have a people mover again.

kplus3 - I am definitely feeling better although seeing a physio for some small aches here and there.

Well with christmas fast approaching it would be great to hear what you have all got planned for crafts and gifts.
I was thinking of making a very basic gingerbread house that the kids can then decorate for their parents.

I plan on sitting down later this afternoon and writing up my program for december. We will mainly be focussing on christmas but also starting our summer and sea theme.

So everybody please share your ideas and fav websites.

#66 MADHOUSEMUM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:13 AM

Hi everyone,
Well, I had my initial risk assessment this morning and it all went really well. Apart from purchasing a fire blanket and hydrine the only thing I need to do is get a glazier to check out some low windows I have.
Oh, and I need to purchase a bigger car.
Does anyone drive a Chrysler Voyager? Is it a good car?

#67 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:49 AM

MADHOUSEMUM - Have a look around in big w or bunnings. I have put draw locks on and we rent. I use an adhesive lock that comes back off after.

Becasue they are temporary ones they do need to be replaced (mine about once every 4-6 months) which is a pain but they aren't expensive so it still works out ok (2/3sets every year is approx $20 from memory)

Or you could talk to your real estate about putting on real ones and removing them when you are done. original.gif

Edited by Willambian, 05 December 2008 - 03:16 PM.

#68 Kplus3

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:59 AM

My blue card is currently being processed! So excited!

#69 ChunkyChook

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

daretofly today we cut christmas trees out of green paper and pasted then into cardboard and put stars on the top and used glitter and stickers to decorate them.

I would love some ideas too. I'm trying to find a big plain santa head so they can colour him in and then stick cotton wool on his beard and mo and around the white bit of his hat.

I gave one of my families notice this week, they finish up on the 28th Jan so I can start Uni. I will be doing FDC 2 days a week, probably Thurs and Fri. Then studying 3 days a week. They have got into DDs daycare centre so they will still get to see each other which will be nice.

Who is having a bit of time off over Christmas and New Year? I have decided to just take 2 weeks off.

Congrats Kplus3, I know the feeling.

#70 Kplus3

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

Whoo hooo I got my Blue Card on Friday ;-) I am having an inital house inspection on Thursday, that will give me more of an indication on the direction I am heading.

If all seems to be going to plans I will be off on the weekend buying things I need for the house (locks, locked boxs. gates etc) and then off to book my Senior First aid for the new year.

#71 daretofly

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

Great news Kplus3.

Let us know how you go tomorrow.

#72 forestfriends

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:23 PM

Been awhile since ive posted anything on the forums so here is an update from me.

I have had two families leave at the end of this year but have picked up soem additional children next year. From February I will only have 3 spots left to fill. I will also be starting to work Tues - Fri from Feb instead of my usual three days now.

The renovations are coming along with the kitchen almost finished and we are on target to moving FDC downstairs as of Feb next year also (will be an exciting month).

For chrismtas craft I found a picture online of a santa face (googled 'images' 'santa' 'colouring in') and glued cotton wool to the beard, I also had my kids decorate a christmas tree with glitter, stickers and felt pens. My older ones did smaller trees that I then contacted and put a hole punch in and made them into tree decorations.

For their christmas presents I have wrapped up their portfolios, and created each their own DVD with their photos put to music from the time they started care till now.

Well better get moving got 3 more DVD's to finish before tommorow. Not having time off between christmas and new year as most of my parents are happy to do day swaps and keep their children in care.

#73 ~*Bec*~

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

Wow its been more than a month since ive posted on here lol, i havnt been overally busy doing anything constructive just been xmas shopping and sorting out alot of things for 2009.

So end 2008 early 2009 i will be loosing 2 day care girls to kindergarten and my daughter to kindergarten. So to start off im going to fill the empty space between tommorow and start Feb with my nephew then he goes off to kindergarten too.
After he goes im filling the fulltime space with my neice and then ill have a mon-fri spot available for a 10am-2pm spot and ill have a tuesday and wednesday all day spot available.
Not sure if im going to fill it at the moment or leave it just with the 2 babies and have some time with them teaching them to grow.

For xmas i bought my day care kids a 1c book from the "hot specials" section a santa one. And one i bought a baby born capsule and a doll and the other one i bought a barbie princess, my baby i got a fisher price phone (free from fisher price "hot specials").
Art for xmas i did some santas coming out of chimneys with paddle pop sticks and some santas with body parts on joints. Thinking about doing santa faces with cotton wool or pasta wreaths not sure yet.

As for holidays im taking xmas day boxing day and the full following week off, and im going to Albury to see a friend and to Shep to shop with Kodi1982 original.gif

#74 daretofly

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

Oh itskplus3 I'm so sorry. Did they give any indication at all that they weren't happy with something? Any thing they seemed to ask you that sounded like they were concerned about something?

Why don't you ring them and ask why you weren't accepted as it might be something you can fix.

I know it is hard but try not to dwell on it over christmas and call them first thing monday.

#75 MADHOUSEMUM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

itskplus3 - I'm really sorry to hear that,,how far through the process were you?

It's been a while since I have posted here and probably none of you remember me but that's ok. Sorry this is long!
I started the process of applying to do FDC at the beginning of Oct and thanks to my extremely incompetant and lazy property manager I am waiting on them yet again. I got the intitial 'over the phone' ok from the Landlord (2mths after I officially asked)!! I went ahead and had FDC come and do a 'walk through' just to talk about what I might need to change safety wise, so all good there. Recieve the form from FDC for the landlord to sign etc the very next day. I take it to my property manager with pre-paid overnight envelopes for her to post to Landlord and to post back to me. 1 month later I finally received a call back from her (after leaving many phone/email messages, on Christmas Eve) and she says, 'the landlord is fine for you to go ahead with it but you will have to agree to a $50 per week increase in your rent!!!!! His reasoning is that I would be running a corperate business from the premises and it would be at an insurance risk to him!!! I have give them and explained several times the insurance I have to have including Landlords insurance!!
As far as I can see he is just a greedy 'so and so' and will suck as much blood out of my veins as he can. He plays 1st Grade Rugby League (has done for at least 8 years) and is probably making good money. All Im trying to do is get back on track and stay afloat!!
I am to say the least: flabberghasted!!!
I will press on though,,,can't wait to get the reaction from FDC people when I tell them on Monday.
Anyway,,I hope you have all had a great Christmas,,,and I wish you all a happy, safe and prosperous New Year..

Christine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.