Twirling hands & feet?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 natcul

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:26 PM

My DD (6 months) lately has been twirling her hands and feet alot.  Whenever she is sitting in her bouncer/pram I notice it but dont think much of it.  Looks quiet cute, like she's conducting music   laughing2.gif

Anyway, went to the pead today for another unrelated issue (not taking to solids issue), and he noticed DD doing it.  

He asked me how often she was doing it and that he wouldnt mind sending her for a head ultrasound to figure out why she is doing it.

This has got me all panicked now!!!  cry1.gif

I dont see the big deal... its just another movement.

Does anybody elses' bub every do this? and did it ever worry you?

#2 allyblue

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

Hi,
My 7 month old DD does exactly the same thing when she is really excited! Now you have got me thinking though?? Up until I read this I wasn't worried at all. I thought it was quite cute too. Let me know how she goes with U/S & paed, Im sure everything will be normal but will be interesting to see what he says.
Allyblue

#3 natcul

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

Will come back and update after u/s.

I hope somebody out there has already been through this and can offer some advice?

I really cant see why the problem could be....

#4 ajb2205

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

DS, 6 mths, does this also, especially when holding something in his hands. I would have thought its a normal developmental progression - learning about movement, control etc.

Im sure it will all be fine, the paed is just being overly cautious. But do pop by after the U/S and let us know....

#5 natcul

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

would have thought its a normal developmental progression - learning about movement, control etc.

I too thought this.

Have u/s next wednesday.

#6 Mum2Willie

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

My bub twirls his hands all the time at the minute!!  He mainly does it when he is excited.  I was not worried at all, but please let us know what they say!

#7 2forSuz

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

Both my DS (who's now 6) and DD (2.5) did this a LOT and child health nurses/docs never showed the slightest concern about it.  DD still twirls her hands around and opens her mouth wide when she sees something she loves, it's usually when she's really excited.  DS is perfectly fine (of course, no more hand twirling for him  tongue.gif I'd say he stopped when he was around 1.5).

I wouldn't worry, I've read it is quite common happy.gif

#8 sarah-m

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

????????????
My DS has done this since a few weeks old? He does it all the time! Particularly when he's feeding.

#9 newmum2one

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

Well I too am very interested in what the u/s shows ph34r.gif  My DD started this around 6 months old mainly her feet but more recently her hands too.  Dh and I call it her foot circles and she does it ALOT, when excited, playing, eating/feeding.

#10 bubbaloo

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

blink.gif
I worked in a child care centre and a LOT of bubs did that. There were no problems with any of the children I knew. I think it sounds perfectly normal.

#11 75sx

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:28 PM

He asked me how often she was doing it and that he wouldnt mind sending her for a head ultrasound to figure out why she is doing it.

WHAT?? My daughter does this when she is excited, especially when she is being fed or when she sees us eating! I never for a minute thought that there was anything "wrong"!

How awful now that you are worried, and most probably over nothing ... I hope it's all ok!

#12 katevin

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:15 AM

Another surprised Mummy here  blink.gif

My DD mainly twirls her feet, especially when she's excited by something but often when she is just sitting on the ground playing with her toys. We've always laughed about it and thought how adorable it is, have never been concerned that there was something wrong.

Will be interested to see the results of the u/s (hopefully your paed hasn't worried us all unnecessarily- seems a bit over the top to me  rolleyes.gif )

#13 teabags

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:52 AM

DS was a foot twirler.  I would have thought it's just another natural development.  How odd that your pead wants an u/s?  Did s/he offer any further explanation?

#14 natcul

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

He was more concerned that it was a repetitive movement rather than just 'here and there movement'

Although I tried explaining DD doesnt do it all day long!  she'll do it for about 5 mins and then stops, all throughout the day.

Of course twirling is repetitive!! or else it wouldnt be called "twirling"!?  wacko.gif

#15 !!!

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

DS did this as a baby also and he did it A LOT with his hands.

#16 darkenigma

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:03 PM

DD is 6 1/2 months and has been doing the twirling hands for about a month. She seems particularly fascinated with them when she is getting tired - twirls them in front of her face.

#17 silne

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:09 PM

DD2 did this a lot up until she really got moving with her crawling. We never thought anything of it even though DD1 never did it. She grew out of it and there's definitely nothing neurologically wrong with her. I think your paed is just overreacting.

#18 Brighter future

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:33 PM

Three of my babies have done this now 11years,5years and nearly 1 and they are all normal Happy,Healthy children...
The 5 year old still does the hands thing when she gets
excited...Very cute... wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif

Quiet normal  original.gif  original.gif  original.gif

#19 Road_to_somewhere

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

He was more concerned that it was a repetitive movement rather than just 'here and there movement'
Oh ***! Of course it's repetitive! Babies do repetitive things! Hendrix does this all the time too, he loves doing both hands and feet at the same time.
Scary when the first time I saw him doing he had a blanket over his face and I thought he was smothering himself, he was just playing peek-a-boo however.

And what would the Paed be diagnosing, at that age with repetitive movements? Sheesh, talk about worry someone. If you were a new mother too it would freak you out!

#20 rubesmummy

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:49 PM

oh how rediculous, ur paed is over-reacting, my nephew does it all the time when he is excited, and screams with excitement at the same time, and being 8 months he gets excited alot!!

DD also does it, not as often, and just kind of does it and stares at her hand in amazment with a look of "wow!" on her face

dont stress at all, as everyone else has said i wouldnt worry

#21 ~Glitter~

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

blink.gif That is truly bizarre that he would find it concerning enough to get a head ultrasound!!   ohmy.gif

Talk about OTT.

FWIW, we actually sing a song to all our children (its a nursery rhyme) that encourages them to twirl their hands back and forth!  We also get very excited when they imitate us back!!  

That is crazy!!  Please try not to worry - it sounds totally normal!!

#22 natcul

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

Came back to update on DD head ultrasound

All came back perfect!

So nothing to worry about ladies!  its all normal

Oh and a big THANKS to the pediatrician for stressing me out  rant.gif

#23 mum2one

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

My DD does this ALL the time. I'm so glad nothing was wrong with your DD!!

#24 75sx

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

Glad to hear it, OP!

Thanks for reporting back, I was wondering how it went  original.gif

#25 ~Bill~

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

glad all is ok with your little girl..

I have been reading this thread wondering exactly what you all meant by hand twirling. Ds started hadn twirling a couple of days ago, so i now get it original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.