October 06 Parents # 60

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#51 chookys2boys

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:08 AM

I had it with Alex too and it sucked then! Was having almonds when I felt a bit off, now they dont seem to work. Dry biscuits sometimes work. Will find something eventually!
Think at the moment the cold isnt helping me much though!

#52 kristin5

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:11 AM

Well, they do say morning sickness also means a 'sticky' baby (plus new research apparently shows the child will have a higher IQ!) I hope it passes quickly for you and that you don't have it for the whole 9 months (I do know of some people who have!)

#53 Simply Me

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:51 PM

tthumbs.gif  tthumbs.gif
Hi all,

New to EB.  I have 2 DS.  DS1 was born 13th October 2006.  Currently 2 years and 8 months.  DS2 born July 2008.  Will be 1 year old next week.

Hope to talk to others. ddance.gif

#54 chookys2boys

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

Hi CNP and welcome to our little group!!

Kristin and Nadia hope you are both well!!

Sorry I havent been in much lately, been flat out with work!

#55 kristin5

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

Welcome cnp! We're not a very talkative bunch, but I promise to make more of an effort.

I have one DS, and you can probably read more about him earlier in this thread. You can also look at his video montage which I have linked to in my sig original.gif

He will be starting childcare, one day a week, in 2 weeks. I am very excited as I think he will love it, being the little social butterfly that he is.

Bec, looks like you had some sad news several weeks ago. I am so very sorry. sad.gif

Are any of you hitting the toy sales? I think cnp may have replied in one of the threads I posted in about the vmile vmotion thingy...I am about 90% decided on the Leapfrog one instead (given that it seems to require more physical activity and Ryley is a ball of energy!) I am a little worried that he won't be able to use it, even at Christmas when he is 3 and 1/4 years old, but it is 6 months away and I am sure he will develop a lot more between now and then.

He went for his speech assessment last week and the speechie thought he was actually quite advanced in the comprehension/understanding side of things, as well as non-verbal communication. She thinks he has chosen to focus on that so it's now a matter of him focussing on verbal communication. She has given me some tips to help with this, but thinks he is almost there anyway, and will start talking on his own soon. He can imitate fairly well, but his voluntary speaking is lagging.

#56 chookys2boys

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

Morning ladies!

Kristin Im sorry I didnt come in and tell you ladies, had a pretty hard time. But all is ok now. Not really TTC again, but we arent preventing either!
Glad to hear you have Ryley into childcare, I sooo should get Alex in soon!!
Not going to the sales I dont think, too busy for me!! May go have a look today if it doesnt look too flat out!
COngrats on his speech assessment too! You must be so excited!!

Nadia how are you and Kade going?

CNP Alex was due on the 13th!! Its my birthday on the 11th, he came on the 15th!!

#57 chookys2boys

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:27 PM

Where is everyone?
Im off to Tassie on mon be back in a couple of weeks!!

Hope you are all well

XXOO

#58 Mel1609

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:29 PM

Hi - I've not really looked at these parent groups before, I usually stick to the General section but wanted to check out these too. How do they work ?? Do you just join in the chat ? I'm a bit late to get started, I know .....

#59 chookys2boys

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

Hey Mel
Yeah you just join in and chat, we arent in here very much though sad.gif

#60 Mel1609

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hi chook. So how many are in this group roughly ? Have you all been here pretty much from the start ?

#61 chookys2boys

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

No I joined ages ago just as the group fell apart. Dont know what happened so I was on my own for ages!
Then Kristin and Nadia joined, and then CNP. But there hasnt been a lot of activity lately!

So when is your little one turning 3?
As you can see on my sig Alex is 3 on the 15th and he is a real handful! Always on the go! We have just started toilet training in the last couple of weeks and so far its going ok!
His big boy bed comes on Tues, so he will finally be out of the cot!

#62 Mel1609

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:24 PM

Wow, that's not many at all ! Can I aks your name, or do you just prefer chook ?

Natalia is three on October 28th. She's my only one at the moment - wanted to have a break in between for various reasons, mainly to find myself a bit I guess and work out what I wanted in life. That's finally begun to happen over the last couple of months, so hopefully we'll be able to have another next year. I had a look at some previou posts, plus your sig - I gather your little boy is much treasured. To be perfectly honest I don't really have much experience with anyone having difficulty TTC, and feel a little unsure as to what may/may not be too intrusive. Is it something you talk about/want to talk about ?

She's a really good little girl. We've not really had any issues so far. We followed Gina Ford from birth ( I said the dreaded name on EB! ) so it's been a pretty good three years. She's been TT for about six months, but only wee. She's only done about 3 poos on the toilet - I think she's scared. I hear a lot that lots of kids get worked up when they realise that they are leaving part of themselves behind. Nothing we have done has helped, so now we're just riding it out. It's bloody messy !
She's been in her bed for a while now, too, but with a guard rail. It's great when they go into the bed, it's a whole new world, especially if you don't close their door at night !

#63 kristin5

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

Welcome Mel original.gif

It was Ryley's birthday yesterday - I can't believe he is 3 already! Wow!!! We took him to the Thomas & Friends concert and he LOVED it! He also received a lot of Thomas stuff for his birthday so was in 7th heaven.

He is now in childcare one day a week and really enjoys it. His speech is also coming along, however his pronunciation of words isn't very good. We are taking him for a follow-up hearing test tomorrow, to see if that might be a problem now.

He is no where near being toilet trained - but that is expected as he was born with a bowel disease (which I have talked about earlier on in this thread).

Other than that all is great here! original.gif

#64 Mel1609

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

Hi Kristin - thanks for having me ! It's crazy to think about three years having gone past already...I hope it begins to slow down a bit !

#65 chookys2boys

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

Kristin Im so sorry I missed Ryleys third birthday, I didnt get the chance to get in here yesterday! Sounds like he had a great day!!
Good luck with the hearing test, poor little vegemite! Alex doesnt pronounce words all that well either, perhaps I should get him checked out? DHs family has a history of speech problems.

Mel Im glad you are taking some time to find yourself first. This is something I have just been through, I ended up seeing a shrink to deal with built up grief causing anxiety. I dont mind chatting about TTC difficulties at all!
We have had many problems concieving, long waits in between BFPs. And then to lose 2 babies was heartbreaking. We havent had any tests done yet, prob wont till next year.
Natalia is a very pretty name! She sounds like a very clever girl!
Thanks for the tip about keeping the door closed at night, although Alex already (and has been for a very long time) climbs out of his cot and comes to see us in the loungeroom! Ah the joys!
TT is going ok so far, DH and I were outside yesterday, came in and the toilet had just been flushed! We were greated by a very happy Alex, "Alex did flush poos in toilet"! OMG! He got on there all by himself and did poos!!

I better leave it at that ladies, must get back to work!
Hope you are well!

Bec

#66 kristin5

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:40 PM

We are back from his hearing test, and it has been found that he does have fluid in his left ear (and a small amount in his right but not much). The audiologist said it is highly likely that this is the reason for Ryley's poor pronunciation (he is dropping off the first sound in every word, including even daddy and mummy so he says 'addy' and 'ummy'). So now we are going to the GP to get antibiotics and see if that clears it up. In 6 weeks we will go back to the audiologist - if the fluid is still there, Ryley will be booked in for grommets.

I am just glad that something has been found - and it is something pretty easy to fix.

Bec, if you are at all worried, I think it is a good idea to get Alex's hearing test - it doesn't hurt, right?! In Ryley's case though, his pronunciation has gone backwards (though his vocabulary has increased heaps), which was a sign there was something going on that wasn't quite right, rather than just normal toddler articulation difficulties.

Ryley has been in a big bed since he was 15 months old! He was climbing out of his cot and I was scared he'd really hurt himself, so we bought him a car bed (which is low to the ground anyway). And we have always shut the door, which has worked brilliantly until the last couple of months when he has figured out how to open it! (He can open all the doors in the house now, including the front door!) So he has bad night time sleeping habits at the moment, and I am trying to get him into a better routine, by taking him straight back to bed when he gets up (and then giving him a reward the next morning if he stays in his bed all night).

#67 Mel1609

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:36 PM

There is no way my daughter would have been agile enough to climb out of her cot - it must be a boy thing ! They're like little monkeys !
Bec I can't even imagine how heart breaking it would be to lose a baby, let alone two. Since joining EB is become a bit of an eye opener to me just how many strong, amazing women are out there.

I too had to see a shrink to sort myself out, but only after years of denying I needed one. It's quite amazing how you feel after spilling your guts to a total stranger, what a relief. It really helped me put some old issues to bed, finally.

God I wish Natalia would just toddle off and do a poo ! She's been on laxatives now for about 6 months, and has only done 3 poos on the loo in that time. She can hold it in for ages, even with the laxative, making herself ( and me ) absolutely miserable, cranky, and whingy. It's a real problem as we're off to England in 10 weeks, and I was hoping she's be sorted by then. We'll have to see.

#68 chookys2boys

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:50 AM

There is no way my daughter would have been agile enough to climb out of her cot - it must be a boy thing ! They're like little monkeys !

I totally agree! Oh and then there is that whole saying that boys are attracted to dirt, yup thats true too!

I too had to see a shrink to sort myself out, but only after years of denying I needed one. It's quite amazing how you feel after spilling your guts to a total stranger, what a relief. It really helped me put some old issues to bed, finally.

Again I agree! I have only had the one session and he managed to get me to accept that I have lost 2 babies. Before I had only thought of them as fertilised eggs as thats as far as they got (blighted Ovum). I still had a sac and placenta, so Drs told me there never really was a baby and thats what I believed. Which in retrospect goes against everything I believe! For me I believe a baby is a baby as soon as its concieved which is why I think I was having such a hard time accepting what happened.
I have never felt as relieved as what I did at that moment when the grief did come out.

God I wish Natalia would just toddle off and do a poo ! She's been on laxatives now for about 6 months, and has only done 3 poos on the loo in that time. She can hold it in for ages, even with the laxative, making herself ( and me ) absolutely miserable, cranky, and whingy

Have you tried peer pressure? This is what I think did it for Alex! I have a good friend from mums group who we see at least once a fortnight, her boy is starting tt as well. He responded well to peer pressure so I gave it a go!
I would say to Alex, would you like to do wees/poos in the potty? he would say no, so I just said Cody does wees/poos in the toilet, hes a big boy!
And over about a week it just happened!

Kristin I hope Ryley doesnt need to have Grommets. Alex was threatened with them when he was little, but we managed to keep away from any more ear infections! I think I will go get him a check up with my GP, our MCHN isnt all that great!

#69 Mel1609

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:07 PM

Bec, it's funny how people you've never met can word something in such a way that it completely resonates with you ? I know that's their job, but still..... I had about 5 sessions with mine. I think I'm going to suffer at some point or other all my life as I have "melancholic depression" which never goes away, ( have had it as long as I can remember but never knew it, if you know what I mean ) but I just have to learn how to manage it, and she certainly helped with the baggage side of things.

I can understand your need to grieve, sometimes doctors are too medical and can forget about the human side. I'll never forget my mum telling me about a m/c she had at 16 - she lost the baby at 5.5 months, and when she asked later on if it was a boy or girl, the doctors and her own mother told her it was nothing, not even a baby. She's always wondered about it and never really put it to bed.

Thanks for the tips re pooing, unfortunately I can safely say I've tried it all - bribery with lollies, toys, clothes ( she's a fashion addict already ) peer pressure, sticker charts, ingoring the issue, not ignoring it, ultimatums, I could go on and on. She just tells me she doesn't want to poo, the poo wants to stay where it is. It's defintely fear, she panics when the urge comes on, gets all in a knot and starts carrying on saying she wants to poo and needs to go to the toilet, but won't actually do it. She just dances around until the urge passes - until the next time. Tomorrow will be day 4 without pooing - might have to up to laxative ...

#70 Mel1609

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

You were right, Bec. Very quiet ......

#71 kristin5

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:41 PM

Yep, it is incredibly quiet here. I don't have too much to report. Ryley has been moved up to the kinder room at childcare (where he goes one day a week, since mid-July). His teacher told me today that he actually started talking there today, for the first time, so maybe he is feeling comfortable at last. He has also started antibiotics to try and clear up his ear infection/fluid, so fingers crossed that works and he won't need grommets.

And I found out last week that I need to have 4 wisdom teeth out and, due to my age and the fact that nerves go right through the roots of my teeth, it will be a very difficult and risky operation. Great! My very first op too (the only previous time I have been to hospital was to have Ryley!) It's not only going to be painful physically, but it's going to hurt the hip pocket too sad.gif

By the way, I used to be part of an October mum's group on another forum and there was a mum there who named her little girl Natalia too - a beautiful name original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.