• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#1 Bel

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:32 PM

New Thread Time original.gif

http://members.essentialbaby.com.au/index....howtopic=589980

#2 Gin and Tonic

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

I cant remember the last time I was first- yay me!

Ballet concert all went well on Saturday.  I was still sewing an hour before, but G looked gorgeous and she performed her little bum off.

She is now madly rehearsing for her lead role in the Prep Nativity play.  They are doing Wombat Divine (Mem Fox book) and she is the Emu.  I spent monday with felt and a hot glue gun making echidna costumes.

A friend just emailed me the youtube of the Nolan sisters singing Got to pull myself together.  I only last week was showing someone else that I still remembered the choregraphy from the video.  I am now obsessed with yellow lycra jumpsuits and white stilleto heels.  Am I the only one here who was listening to pop music in 1981?  
I am very afraid that I am.  I miss my fellow oldtimer Juzz.

#3 map70

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

Silver!!!
for once!

I'm still here, alive!....busy....gotta run... tongue.gif

Edited by map70, 13 November 2008 - 11:07 AM.

#4 Bellisymo

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:20 PM

Good to hear from everyone again!
Lots to report here, had two great weeks at Noosa/Gold coast.  Weather was divine.  We did lots of shopping, lots of swimming, lots of walking, lots of eating and it was great.  Spent so much $$ though.  Scary!

I go on girl weekends quite a bit.  I am off in two weeks time to Canberra for the weekend to do my Christmas shopping with a friend.  We live it up and have a ball.  It is also our "wind down" as we are the most active committee members of the local Catholic school Fete that is on THIS SATURDAY AAAARGH! and we usually raise about $25000.  A big bloody job I can tell you and on Sunday I will be knackered.  My DH does not mind at all as he has a yearly trip to the Cricket after Christmas (although he takes our 13 year old son now), and he also goes on a trip once a year with his cricket buddies.  I also head off down the coast for a couple of weeks a year with a friend.  I sometimes even get away with only taking my DD with me and it is so relaxing it is amazing.  I cannot explain how much I love it.  All we do is eat and sit on the beach and relax and read.  
My other news is that I have two broken ribs.   cry1.gif   Far out it hurts.  I have recently been diagnosed with a heart condition and the medication makes me dizzy and I fell over two weeks ago and broke two ribs.  While I am typing this though they are doing a Mitral Valve replacement on RPA and this is what I will probably need one day.  It looks yucky.... really yucky.
Anyway better go, off to surf facebook.  PM me!

#5 EsmeLennox

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

Am I the only one here who was listening to pop music in 1981?

Nope. You're not *that* ancient Len. I might not be 40, but I'm not that far behind you either!  wink.gif And I certainly remember that song! Good luck with the emu costime!

Wendy, bugger about the ribs and the heart condition! Hope the ribs are soon on the improve.

#6 map70

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:49 AM

new kids photo...

#7 PetaFL

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:39 AM

OMG Marina! You must be busy!! Bet you'll look back at this part of your life and wonder how you did it! Savour all the good bits! They're gorgeous!!  original.gif

Peta

#8 map70

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

I am loving the good bits but not looking forward to the teens! or the empty house! wacko.gif  sad.gif I wish I had more time for them...city life is too hectic! blink.gif

#9 Nerual

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:01 PM

Hi all,

I've just spent the morning at the shops & I'm having a hard time working out what to get my boys this christmas. I grabbed a couple of small items but I dont know this year. Don't get me wrong, the boys have a list each but full of all the toys they see advertised on telly & boy those ads jack me. Zane's asking for a playstation but DH & I don't want one. We did santa photos on the weekend & Z asked for a PS with Ben 10 game & luckily santa was on our side informing him that he may have to think of something else.

Do your hubby's get involved with xmas shopping? Mine doesn't. But we chat about the main pressie & he gets a suprised as the boys on xmas day with the other presents i get them.

BBL in the week,
Lauren

#10 Pickle81

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

What is with the Ben 10 obsession??? Steffo has not long started and it's driving us batty lol
As for xmas, we're getting a WII as a joint family present.  I figure it's not an antisocial video game and instead of just sitting and getting RSI, you actually have to get up and jump around.  The lesser of the video game evils I spose lol
Vic doesn't really get involved in the xmas present shopping.  I tell him what I'm thinking of getting and he has his little bit of input, but mainly it's me doing it, which I don't really mind.
Love the new pic of the family Marina!! I can't even imagine how hectic your house must be though  ohmy.gif
Not much new here.  Kids are the same as always - full on lol.  Had a head on in my car today though sad.gif  No one was hurt (luckily I stopped, and I didn't have any kids in the car).  But I'm laid up in bed with whiplash by the looks of it - my neck is killing me.  Hoping it will be better by tomorrow, but who knows.  And my car, my awesome car that vic not long finished is wrecked at the front cry1.gif  We're not sure how were gonna go getting the parts to fix it  cry1.gif   But as least no one was hurt.  Would you believe the other woman had 3 little kids in the car, none with seatbelts!!  Good thing I had stopped and she was going slow sort of.
I was fine, but then about half hour later I think shock set in, but all good now.  and their insurance will cover the damage so all good.
Anyway, think I'm going to down some pain killers and try and get some sleep.

#11 Gin and Tonic

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:29 PM

Oh Ness, thank goodness you are ok.  Get yourself some physio/chiro on the neck if you can.  Whiplash can be horrible if you soldier on, which is easy to do once the pain subsides. It can come back to bite you later with headaches and back problems and longer treatment options.

What baffles me with Ben10 is how the obsession starts before the kids even see it on TV.  T is totally obsessed.  He knows all the characters, got the ben 10 showbag from the royal show, spends hours on the website playing ben 10 games.  And wants the whole set for christmas.  DH got him a cheap omnitrex (a watch to the uninformed) when he was in china, but T wants a better one. He seems to think that Santa brings you everything you want.  He is going to get a rude shock on christmas day.

DH has minimal input into the family and friend gifts.  Most of the time I dont even tell him.  He likes to have some input into the kids for the "big" gift.  I buy all the santa sack cr*p.  He also likes to buy something himself for them too.  I have nearly finished my shopping.  done all the kris kringles (cousins, work and school), teachers gifts, immediate family,babysitters, cleaner, neighbours.  Got the kids the santa sack bits and pieces, but still trying to decide on a substantial gift. I wouldnt mind getting them a little ipod shuffle each, but DH has his heart set on a Wii.  I hate video games, but ness I agree this is probably a little better.  I just wanted to have a low key, low cost christmas this year after last years backyard blitz extravaganza. I think DH and I will just buy something for each other from the kids. It is really about them anyway.
Just got the very hard one left- the MIL.  what do you buy the woman who has everything and buys whatever she feels like it whenever she feels like it?

What is everyone doing for christmas day?  we are having lunch at my aunties house- 27 people for lunch!  They have a nice house with a pool so it should be ok.  She is a very relaxed hostess too which makes the day much more bearable. For dinner we are going to MILs.  That will be much smaller with just DH's brother and sister and their partners.
I have organised the Kris Kringle for lunch and it took me ages to get it right. I didnt want to make it too hard for people by just pulling names randomly out of a hat.  It wouldnt be fair for my young cousin's boyfriend to have to buy for an old uncle he doesnt even know.  My sister will be back from Korea by then too and I cant wait to see her again.

Ok- delayed doing my presentation for tomorrow long enough. Better get back to work.

#12 ~brighteyes~

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:33 PM

Just realised I lost the thread again, but was only 10 posts behind, so don't feel as bad now  tongue.gif

We've ordered a Springfree trampoline for Aleisha's big present this year. Anything else will be from Santa (puzzles, books, lollies).

Her dance concert is the last week of school term, which is  annoying as it Presentation day for both our schools that day, and they expect them to be at the concert place 1pm that afternoon. Not going to happen I think for a lot of them, talking to the mum's during dance lessons.

Have been playing around on our school forum one of the teachers set up for students and teachers to communicate on. I was stunned to one of only 2 people on staff so far who are familiar with using forums...considering I've been using them for 10 years now (since planning our wedding).

Cheers,
Savanna

#13 PetaFL

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

Oh wow you guys are organised!!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOO disorganised re Christmas Presents this year - it ain't funny! I have managed to buy my close friends their presents... but that's because I'm going out on a limb and doing the enviro friendly thang... I've bought them all funky kitchen counter compost bins. I'm promoting composting and diverting from landfill through my Christmas present choice.  original.gif We'll see if actually has an effect!

But I haven't bought a single thing for families, teachers, etc etc... so I have to get cracking!

Have had a really really tough week with DH's Dad very unexpectedly having a heart attack on Wed night. He is okay - but is really luck to survive. And then I found out this morning that my cousin was killed in Afghanistan yesterday. It's utterly devastating... he was so young, so full of promise and my aunt and uncle are the most fabulous, loving, giving parents you can imagine. He was with the Special Forces and had only been there for two weeks. It's in the news but they're not naming him yet. I've been very weepy all day - life is so fragile. And yet we carry on as though it's not every day. Sigh. huge sigh.

Sorry to end on a downer,

Peta

#14 Gin and Tonic

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

I am so sorry Peta.  I saw his name in the press and I wondered why his last name was familiar.  I guess I have only just learnt your last name in the last few weeks so I couldnt remember it.    I didnt realise how young he was and I can definitely see the family resemblance. So tragic. Is the special forces the same as the SAS?

Hope your FIL is making progress.

We had G's family christmas picnic last night.  The kids went fishing at the local jetty and then we had a BBQ.  They all caught heaps of blowies, so it was very exciting to actually catch a fish, and great for us that we didnt have to clean it to eat!  We had a bit of drama at the end with T falling off a wall and into the river.  I was in the toilet with G and DH wasnt watching because he thought I was.  We were just lucky that another parent was around and got him out.  His 3 little mates were also there and they all just stood around in shock and didnt think to call out for help.  4 year olds just dont have the faculties in stressful situations to think straight is the lesson here.
It was only shallow but it was a very large drop, we were so lucky he didnt crack his head on the way down.  BIG LESSON IN VIGILANCE AROUND WATER WHEN IN GROUPS.

#15 Nerual

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:27 AM

Hi girls,

I have finished my xmas shopping! Yippee for me! Although i feel i left everything to the last minute (as such...i know i still have a few weeks up my sleeve but i didn't do any shopping during the year & i wanted to finish before school holiday crowds hit the shopping centre) I actuallly think i did really well & as i did it in the space of 2 days, i didn't over do it on my boys. I remember last year wrapping all the pressie's i'd bought & actually not wrapping some of the toys & things i'd bought thinking it was too much & ended up keeping those things for b'day pressies etc. I still have 2 toys in the cupboard from last year.

I ended up in charge of buying for Z's class teacher & took $5 donations from each family & bought the teacher, who's off to fiji on holidays this xmas, a beach towel, beach bag & sarong, plus a wooden box I've decorated that she can use in future years as her 'rewards box' & filled it with stamps & stickers for students. Hopefully she'll like the idea.

This weeks been sooooo busy. It finished yesty with DH's xmas lunch, Z's yr1 special parade presentation where Z got up & recited a number on Pelican's to the parade (i was so chuffed, he did so extremely well, no stage fright) followed by classroom expo & arvo tea, a trip to the Dr with Nate (nothing major) & Z's school Christmas Party disco. Mate it was a big day.

Today's supposed to get to 33 so hopefully we'll hit the beach early then chillout for a few hours over lunch then head back for another swim this arvo.

1 week of school/pre school before my boys are on holidays, well 4 school days as Friday is a clean-up day & i'm not sending Z to clean desks etc.

HAve a good weekend,
Lauren

Edited by 123youknowme, 06 December 2008 - 07:27 AM.

#16 Miss Ireland

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

Ladies

Peta my god I am sorry about your cousin.  It's so sad I hate all this killing going on.  Hope his family will get through ok.  My 2 brothers are in the Irish army.  One of my brothers has just come back from Chad after 6 months.  It was awful...they were there to protect the women and children cos of the terrible things happening to them.  Hope your FIL will ok.  These things are terrible but always feel much worse close to Christmas !  Big hugs honey.

I've only got a few bits for the boys so far.  We are thinking of getting a Foosball table as their big present, going to go have a look at some tomorrow.  We have a Wii already and I have to say ladies it is great fun.  We have so much fun with it.  I got Wii Fit a few months back and it is great and the kids love it so even when it's raining they can still burn energy.

I've done all my overseas shopping and now I just need to wrap and post.  If only I had the motivation.  I need to write the cards tooooooo.......

We went camping yesterday with my IRL Mothers Group.  There was 7 families and we didn't go far.  We got there just before lunch time and stayed till nearly lunch time today.  We had the best time.  It was my first experience camping and I so want to do it again.  The boys loved it.  Adam woke up this morning saying let's do this every night please !  Have to say though it was so nice coming home to shower...after only 1 night !  Can you tell I'm a real outdoors person NOT...hee.hee....

My mam had her hip replaced just over 2 weeks ago and is doing great.  My sister had day surgery on one of her breasts and thankfully all the results came back negative.  Adam woke the other morning and couldn't walk.  So off to Emergency for the day...he had fluid on his hip.  Getting back to normal slowly.  They say it should be all clear in a couple of weeks.  So I've had a rubbish couple of weeks but after reading Peta's news I'm feeling quite upbeat and realising how lucky I am.

So I'm off to wrap.  Ness take care and mind yourself honey.  Rest up as much as you can and hopefully your neck will come good.

Chat soon.

Take Care

#17 Pickle81

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:23 PM

Hey girls
Well my neck came good, but unfortunatly our run of bad luck with our cars didn't.  We went down to vic's mum's on the weekend and Stef came running in Monday morning saying that our car was smashed (we were in FIL's car) and sure enough, the guy next door had backed in to it!!  It was an accident, we got there really late at night he wasn't used to there being a car in mum's spot.  So we now have 2 cars that you can't get parts for so they will no doubt be written off sad.gif although they are both still driveable.  So if any of you have a car that you want to get rid of give us a yell hahaha
Other then that, all is good.  :ife is really hectic ATM.  We had a guy at the servo quit so it's been a case of everyone take whatever extra shifts they can until we get the new guy trained.  The I also have a mail contract job 2 days a week which is about a 400k run. So am flat out with both jobs over the next few weeks but the extra money will come in handy with christmas.  But work should all calm down after NY and I will be working 4 days a week then, 2 at the servo, and 2 mail contractor days.
The kids are going great, and adjusting pretty good to me working.  But I have horrible guilt days sad.gif especially when Stef asked me to come watch him at swimming lessons that are done with school and I couldn't go sad.gif  But no different to what any other working mother feels I spose.
Well I'm off to bed....I have 6am wake ups now sad.gif

#18 Gin and Tonic

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

First week of school hols and I am over it already.
The kids are still on fire and need to chill out a bit.  If they are not kept entertained they just fight.

Cant wait for christmas to get the kids to busselton so they can slow down.  They need it more than me!

bummer about the car ness.

#19 EsmeLennox

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

That's what you get for going private Len!  dev (6).gif   laughing2.gif

Jeremy doesn't finish until Tuesday!

Edited by Jemstar, 13 December 2008 - 07:52 PM.

#20 Bellisymo

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

So sorry about your cousin Peta.  Life is so hard sometimes.  I am still trying to come to terms with the loss of my gorgeous flowergirl.  She turned 18 in Feb and had a single car accident on the way to Uni in August and was killed instantly.  Gosh it is hard to get it in my head that she is gone.  I keep looking at her photo and want to cry.  It is so sad.  
Anyway trying to be happier now!  Spent the weekend before last in Canberra and did the christmas shopping in one go.  I love my weekend away.  I usually go with a friend and this year we took another friend, we stayed two nights and it was so good.  The best part though was coming home to a beautifully clean house and the Christmas lights up!  My DH does NOT do christmas lights.  I pulled into the driveway and thought I was at the wrong house.  Gosh it was a great feeling.  I also got spoilt in Canberra and DH told me to buy my birthday present (birthday tomorrow), I got a Canon EOS 1000d.  I love it.  THEN I hinted strongly for a nice outdoor setting, but thought because of the extravagance of the camera I had no hope, but guess who has a beautiful new outdoor setting?  I feel very spoilt.  My birthday is usually a bit of a non event but this year it is already lovely and still isn't here yet.  We are off to the farm today with the new camera and the tripod and hopefully will get some nice photos.  
The kids finish school this Friday and I finish work this friday until school goes back (Oh I LOVE my job!).  Exciting week at work this week for me as I am getting a new printer and computer and office desk!  Very exciting times for a mere office chickie!
My DD is jumping out of her skin as she will find out on Wednesday night at the school awards ceremony whether she is Primary captain or vice captain.  She presented a great speech to the school and I do think that she is in with a good chance.  So fingers crossed!  DS2 is also getting an award on Wednesday night, but he is in a kindergarten with only 12 children so he had a good chance!!
We are having a quiet Christmas this year, lunch at my BIL's place and then dinner here with my family.  I have a small family so it is only Mum and Dad, Us, My sister and her DH and three boys and my brother.  So quite nice and pleasant really.  
I think that our school holidays will go quickly.  DH and DS1 are off to the Sydney cricket test for a week, me and DD will head to the beach and then the boys will all come down to the beach for a week.  
Hope everyone can brave the crowds for any last minute Christmas gifts.  I am so glad that I am done.  Although living in a small town we don't have much to choose from.  Pretty much just Target Country (but it is a nice new one) and not much else.

#21 Gin and Tonic

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:35 PM

Having issues with my 6yo with attitude.  The way she speaks to me you'd think she was a teenager.

Finally convinced the two of them to do holiday sport this week so hoping that they will burn off their excessive energy.

I think they really need some days on the couch, but they wont hear of it.

Edited by Gin and Tonic, 16 December 2008 - 02:35 PM.

#22 map70

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:16 PM

I might not be back till after X-mas so...

Merry Christmas
and
Happy New Year - 2009!

Marina

#23 Pickle81

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:34 AM

LOL love the sig Marina!!!

#24 ~brighteyes~

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!

We still have a few last minute things to get, but felt so dizzy at the shops today that I couldn't concentrate. Plus Ray is being a major pain and won't say anything he'd like for Christmas.  :xmas_mad:

Cheers,
Savanna

#25 Gin and Tonic

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

I finished most of my shopping a few weeks ago, before the sales, which is a bummer, but at least I didnt have to fight the crowds.  Trying to avoid the clothes shops so I dont buy anything for myself. It is too tempting with the sales on!

Took the kids shopping yesterday for their gifts to DH and I and after 20 mins T had a meltdown.  It didnt help that I bumped into people I knew every 5 minutes and stopped to chat.  We took DH with us this morning for a power shop to finish it off.  I have just finished all the wrapping, gifts are under the tree and I am ready to roll!

The kids and I went to see the Nutcracker ballet last night.  It was performed by the WA Youth ballet, but they had a couple of Bolshoi Ballet dancers as guests and they were amazing.  G and I go to see it every year.  It is my favourite ballet and she loves it now too.  I wasnt sure about taking T, but he really enjoyed it. He was bopping along to the music and was clapping away.  He got a bit tired and bored toward the end as the last couple of scenes are a bit girly and go on for a bit too long, but he lasted really well.  After it was over the kids went backstage and met the dancers while the mums sat in the bar and drank champagne.

Still doing the rounds of christmas parties- I love this time of the year.

What is everyone doing on Christmas day and over the break?  We are going to my aunty's for lunch and then DH's mum's for dinner.  On Boxing Day we are heading to Busselton for a couple of weeks if all goes to plan.  My extended family is all going down too, but DH is worrying he wont be able to get away until the week later.  I think I will stay down there for a couple of weeks.  I am going to play it by ear and see how it goes.  Our plans for NY down there have fallen through so I am not sure if we will come back.  We might just have a quiet one.

Have a great chrissy everyone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.