Getting rid of wind in newborn

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dazzle1980

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

DS is 17 days old and has big issues with wind - we just can't seem to get rid of it  sad.gif

I try to burp him after a feed with no success then shortly after he will scream in pain - and this will continue on and off until his next feed, usually 2.5-3 hours later (which I would love to stretch out to 3-4 hourly).

I have started a very bland diet to reduce triggers and he is having Brauer's Colic Relief

To burp him, I have tried
* sitting him upright and patting back
* sitting him upright and rubbing back
* Holding in sitting position and slumping him then lifting slightly so torso stretches out then slumping again etc
* Laying him on his back and pushing his knees into his belly
* Bicycle riding motion with legs

Any other suggestions???????
[size=2]

#2 Blondiebear

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

For me the most reliable method for burping my baby is holding her with her head on my shoulder and patting her back with reasonable force. If I'm not getting the burp out sitting down it always works if I stand up and walk around with a bit of bounce in my step. The more upright you are the easier it is to get the burp I find.

#3 ~Simply*Blue~

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

Brauers colic relief is great but it may take a few days/week to really get working. It really helps bring up the wind after a feed though.

To get rid of wind, rocking legs back and forth towards his tummy really helps. If you can do it for 30 seconds at least at every nappy change it helps get things going.

Also doing one leg at a time diagonally across his body helps alot. I hope that makes sense  wacko.gif

Putting him on his tummy after a feed. This helps the wind come out both ways.

Is he doing alot of back arching? My DS3 was suffering from lactose overload and this was one of the big symptoms.

3-4 hourly breastfeeds are also unlikely with a newborn. Mine always fed 2-3 hourly at the most.

#4 Raspberries

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

I agree with blondiebear - putting bub up on my shoulder and walking has helped with my 2month old DS. Putting him on his belly has been helpful at times too.

I also use infacol - similar to Brauer's Colic Relief and it has worked wonders! There's a few different potions out there, perhaps you should trial a few.

Goodluck!

#5 shelly1

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

Infacol is great but can only be used from 4 weeks old (from memory). There is one called Infants Friend that can be used from birth.

3-4 hour stretches for feeds seems a bit long for a new baby though.

#6 Schmend

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

I used to hold my bub with both hands under her arm pits and gently bounce her (i am talking minimal... like cms of bounce) up and down to calm her.

I also tried putting her over my knees with her tummy over one knee and rubbing her back in a circular motion.

Tried something similar but over my shoulder.

Failing all that... different feeding techniques - burping frequently in between... feeding in a different position?  Not sure what else.  Hope you get some help/relief soon - its awfully tiring/frustrating/sad watching them with that wind.

#7 grumpy monkey

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:50 PM

Edited by krisp, 09 August 2009 - 04:52 PM.

#8 poss71

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

Get your DH to try burping instead of you. I found my boobs got in the way of holding DD upright enough on my shoulder for a good burp.

My DH would hold DD upright with her head and arms above his shoulder level and walk up and down a few paces while patting or rubbing her back.  For some reason, lifting her arms could make the difference between burp and no burp.

Try burping about halfway through the feed, or if you are already doing this, try adding one more burp attempt during the feed. It will be much harder to get burps up when he is full of milk.

3-4 hourly breastfeeds are also unlikely with a newborn. Mine always fed 2-3 hourly at the most.

If you are able to get the wind out, there is no reason why your DS should not go 3 - 4 hours between feeds as long as he is a healthy full term baby, not a premmie.

Good luck. Persisting with burping will help your DS be a more settled baby and allow you all some sleep.

#9 JustSmileAndNod

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

If you are able to get the wind out, there is no reason why your DS should not go 3 - 4 hours between feeds as long as he is a healthy full term baby, not a premmie.

Hmm if breastfeeding demand feeding is best and my little gilr fed every 2.5 hours until she was 7.5 months no matter what I tried!!

I was also thinking silent reflux...

#10 purplebilby

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:26 PM

woolworths
aisle where they sell teething gel, baby wipes

Gripe Water (non alcoholic one)
white and pink label

one dose of that, few minutes later, gurgle gurgle from the stomach, baby has big smile, wind is all gone.

change nappy

then she could sleep.

that's what solved it for us, Gripe Water became our Magic potion!  (for first six months).

#11 Mummymoo

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

Try holding baby facing forward with her back on your chest and push legs in to her tummy.

This way they can hear your heart beat so this might settle her and the legs in should help release the wind.

Goodluck.

Cherie

#12 poss71

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

Hmm if breastfeeding demand feeding is best

Err, yes - like I said. No reason why a healthy full term baby with a full tummy should not go 3 - 4 hours between feeds. That would be demand feeding. Baby feeds, gets burped, nappy is changed and baby is put to bed. When baby wakes up, you start again. rolleyes.gif

#13 breemum2b

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:13 AM

For the first 5 weeks with DS we had to use Infants Friend with EVERY feed as he would not burp on his own. The last 2 weeks (he is now 7 weeks) I have not had to use it once! He is now urping exceptionally well on his own.

At our 6 week check up,the doctor said it can take a little while for them to get the hang of it.

But in the mean time, Infants Friend is fantastic.

#14 ~Simply*Blue~

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:44 AM

I was told by my echn that it is unrealistic for a newborn to go that long between feeds. Yes some babies may do it but it is very common that babies that young need  more frequent feeds.

And after 3 babies I tend to agree.

Edited by ~Simply*Blue~, 17 December 2008 - 06:44 AM.

#15 kymberly72

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:54 AM

My DS was exactly like this ! I used Marina Infant Mixture everyday and it worked like a dream  :xmas_rolleyes:   Best of luck.

#16 gottocatchawabbit

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:01 AM

DD 2 is 8 weeks this Saturday (born 5 weeks early) and has gone 4 hourly from day one.  

I wouldn't rule out reflux either.  We mistook DD's crying and squirming to be wind pain and after 3 really shocking days with her screaming almost all day and night a trip to the paed resulted in her being put on medication for reflux.  We saw a slight improvement within hours of her having the first dose and a huge improvement after a week.  Apparently signs of reflux can easily be mistaken for wind in some babies.

Hope you can get your little one sorted out soon.

#17 Kay1

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:18 AM

DS2 was the same and nothing actually helped except time. I tried Infacol, Fennel tea, Infant's Friend, Brauers, they all seemed to help at first but then not anymore. DS2 was also diagnosed with reflux but he didn't really improve til around 12 weeks. Sorry, hope your little one settles before then.

#18 Dazzle1980

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

Sorry ladies, forgot to mention DS DOES have reflux however he has been medicated since Day 3 for it and have never missed a dose so hoping it's not that!

Naturally, he had a great night and he is being perfect so far today!!!! This is my third day on the 'diet' so maybe he was being upset by the foods I was eating.... lets hope so and hope we can figure out what it was (and it had better not be the coffee hands.gif ). However DH and I did try all of the 'body movement' suggestions during the evening yesterday (I think DH was 'working' on him non-stop for about 45 mins).

Massive thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations.

#19 bugs in rug

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:43 AM

Hi hayley-m

DS2 had similar problems since he was born.  He was also on a 4 hours routine, one week after hospital discharge as he was putting on weight and happy.  

We tried everything from doing cycling motions to gripe water, infacol etc etc.  I even went on a dairy diet as a friend told me Dairy can cause babies to have bad wind problems.  Most of the time, if we couldn't burp him (we tried every position) then we just put him back in his cot, and he will have a little cry while working his whole body and when we pick him up and try burping again he will usually do a huge burp.  That seemed to work most of the time.  May be him crying and wriggling about is bringing the gas out?!!

I got hopeful when  I read somewhere and also my MCHN told me that at about 12-15 weeks mark they just learn to handle it better.  It was true.  DS2 is now almost 4 months and his symptoms reduce around 13 weeks mark and he became easier to burp.

I also read somewhere that after 3 mins of burping and you don't get a burp, you are unlikely to get one! We had a bad experience with Infacol.  After Infacol and he still can't burp, it actually became very painful for him.  So we stopped using gripe and Infacol after about a week as it was causing him more pain then relief.

All the best.  There is light at the end of the tunnel... original.gif

#20 mama2carysbaileigh

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

maybe try sitting him on your lap and rocking gently back and forth helps to work the trapped wind up and then should come easier when rubbing their back. midwife showed us the trick in hospital and seemed to work with ds.
worth a try

#21 *edb*

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

We used Infants Friend - worked great.

Good luck original.gif

#22 angc

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:31 AM

You could also try taking him to see a chiropracter.  Our DD suffered terribly from wind pain - she seemed to be crying whenever she needed to poo or pass wind.  We started taking her to the chiro at 6wks and she has been great since - we no longer have "arsenic hour" (or 3) and she also seems to sleep a lot better.  Not sure how young you can take them, but it's worth checking out.

#23 lovethebelly

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:41 AM

With my DS i found the best way was to have him upright and start patting at the bum and slowly work your way up to their shoulders and then start again from the bottom. After every three goes upwards do some slow but firm circular motions on their back. I still have to burp my DS (11months) and this is always and always has been the best way.

For my DD, it would take on average 45 minutes to get her to burp until she was around 3months old. The best thing for her was to range through a few different things, patting her normally, then holding her under the arms and swinging her very slowly like a pendulim (sp). SO her head stayed in the same place but her legs were slowly going from one side to the other. I found this helped a lot with her, keeping her really straight and the swinging motion helped to bring the air up only without the added bonus (not) of milk coming with it.

Good luck and i hope you have it all sorted soon. biggrin.gif

Ayla.

#24 cleo86

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:13 AM

It is so horrible to see your baby in such pain from wind.  :xmas_sad:

I found the following helped.

~ Infacol
~ Doing 'bike legs'
~ Massaging belly in a clockwise motion
~ Warm bath
~ A litle bit of cooled boiled water in a bottle
~ Laying DD over my knees (I think the pressure helped ease the pain)

#25 grumpy monkey

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

Edited by krisp, 09 August 2009 - 04:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.