News Years Resolutions how to keep them?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smtm

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas and enjoyed a great start to the New Year!

It’s that time of year where we make all kinds of resolutions, how we are going to drop the extra kilos and vow not use those terrible credit cards again. It seems the turn of the year, brings it out of all of us. Even if we don’t verbalise it, many of us consider what we will do over the coming year - our News Years resolutions. Sadly most of us don’t even make it through the first month before we fall foul of a lack of will power….

This year I told myself I would try harder to trim the budget, I have decided to see if I could reduce the family spend to $20 a day ONLY. A little unrealistic, maybe. I was doing really well for the first week, coming in on budget, and then came all the Christmas specials at the supermarket. All those scrumptious yummy treats that I couldn’t justify buying before Christmas were now a quarter of the price! YIKES from cookies to chocolates the lot had been reduced. There I was filling up my basket, I made it halfway round the supermarket, looked in the basket and found I had to summon up every ounce of strength to return the loot back to the shelves…. I did it!

It got me thinking, how very difficult it can be to keep those New Years resolutions. Is it worth making them? Or rather is this a great time to review your current situation and make necessary changes. How do you stick to those News Years resolutions, where do you summon the motivation. I pictured having to do more exercise to burn the extra off if I scoff down the chocky biscuits and since I can’t stand exercise, that was enough for me. But there are other evils, like the departmental store sales, it can be even harder to resist these. How do you stick to what you have promised yourself you would do?

#2 **dairymum**

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:49 AM

No way could I only spend $20 a day.

In regards to budget resolutions, I am a shocker at spending money - especially at sales so I only let myself buy things I would need later in the year like birthday pressies etc.  That sorted my spending fix, and im now prepared for most of the year for the "other" kids i buy for, not mine.

My resolution was giving up smoking, it meant finishing any smokes we had before going to bed on new years, was a late night!  But we have done it and stand to save $6000 a year in doing so  tthumbs.gif .

Jackie

#3 Yakkers

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

Does this $20 include the whole shopping for the week?  If so no way.  I just spent $20 alone on a script for my youngest and $50 for the doctor today.  So then adding shopping to that budget I would blow it right out of the water.  I admire people who are about to do so.  Could be interesting to try if it was $20 a day for incidentals and the weekly shop was separate.

#4 *Jessica*

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

I agree, it's just not clear enough what you mean by $20 a day.
What do you already budget for and what falls outside it that you need to cover $20 a day for?
$20 a day for incidentals? Man I would sooooo love that....

As for my own opinion on NY resolutions.... meh... a new year is just a new day with more pressure on it.
Every new day you see is another chance at making things better than they were yesterday.

As for sticking to t resolution... isn't it just another sort of decision, if it has to be done, it has to be done.
I generally adopt the attitude of not necessarily liking it, but knowing that I love the results (eg I HATE housework, but love a clean house)

#5 kadoodle

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:01 AM

$20 a day comes out at $140 a week, which is about what i spend on groceries. It's petrol that kills me.
The new years resolution is to get back to pre-baby weight - wish me luck!

#6 lweb*

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

I don't do new years resolutions, i do to do lists. i try an cover most areas in my life, money, career, health, hobbies etc. i refer back to the list every so often through out the year and take a good look at the end of the year, it can be very interesting... a lot of the time i wonder "what was i thinking! "  roll2.gif

#7 mszelley

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

We spend $21 per day on food and house hold requirements (eg shampoo, toilet paper etc.) but medical is separate!
My resolution is to keep the same budget we had last year even though we have increased our income.  All "new" money goes to debt reduction!
I believe you need to re-assess your goals, aims and values regularly though-out the year for every aspect of your life, especially time management!  eg. we where spending almost half our "family time" each weekend in the shopping center, so we now shop online (I do it when the kids are in bed and my husband is still at work).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.