Were you offered meals when your breastfed baby stayed in hospital? - *Answers counted post #47*

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 blueberrymuffin

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

In another thread someone said that the hospital gave them lunch and dinner when their breastfed baby stayed in hospital. Just wondering if this is the norm?

DS had to stay in hospital for 2 nights when he was 3 weeks old. He is exclusvely breastfed, the nurses knew that (they gave me a feeding chair). I wasn't offered any food/ordering menu like when I stayed there when he was born. I was too shy to ask about it, but it became obvious when a nurse 'snuck' me a lunch (belonged to a patient who already discharged), saying that no one would know.

It was pretty tricky getting to the cafeteria when it was open, with DS taking a long time to feed and crying most of the time he was awake. I went without a few times, until DH brought me food on Day 2. I could have left him with the nurse, and did a few times, but felt guilty because not only did the nurse have other patients, but DS would cry so much sad.gif .

Maybe I'm dreaming, but I would have thought that a breastfeeding friendly hospital would offer meals? It was the Women's and Children's Hospital in Adelaide. I can't find any information or a breastfeeding policy on their website.

Ok this is kind of a vent, but wanted to ask since there is a chance DS will need to stay again.

Edited by blueberrymuffin, 03 February 2009 - 08:18 PM.

#2 TwoBoysAndAGirl

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

No I was not. My DS2 was in WCH for RSV when he was 6 weeks old and I was breastfeeding. We were offered no melas at all. Had to go the cafeteria.luckily I had anouther lady in my room and we would watch the others baby while the other bolted to the cafeteria and back. Or I would wait until Mum or DP came in.

Edited by strawberrygirl, 02 February 2009 - 05:40 PM.

#3 sleepisfortheweak

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Ask for meals!  

I stayed with DS3 when he was 8wks old for a week and although I had to ask about meals I was told that as a breastfeeding mother of the patient I was entitled.  (RCH in Brisbane if that helps.)

Admittedly, party pies and chips were not my idea of good food they were much better than doing without or leaving my son to go and get something.  (It was a childrens hosp after all with a menu designed to appeal to children.)

FWIW, we were transferred for his admission and had no family or friends that could help.

Goodluck with your son, I hope he doesn't need another admission.

#4 ParasiteEve

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

Hi

When My DS2 when 6 weeks old he was admitted at Princess Margeret Children's Hospital. I stayed overnight with my DS2 as i was breastfeeding but wasn't offered food either. One of the nurse actually asked on my behalf if they will offer me food as the she said at another level breastfeeding moms were  offered one. But Nope.  

Does anyone know if private hospitals have triage?

#5 ladyp

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

I cause an agruement between the meal staff and the nurses.

DD was in hospital for 2 nights. I am a type one daibetic and a coeliac there for I couldn't just buy something from a machine.

The nursing manager said that they would give me meal but the food staff said no it is written in the book that are not to provide meals for parents at all.

Amaya was breastfed and she had just started solids.

My Dh had to bring me food.

#6 Mummy.3

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

My DD had an overnight admission at the Logan Hospital when she was around 6 months old and I was given meals and told it was because I was BFing her, even though she was on first solids.

#7 papilio

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

I am guessing your baby was in Rose Ward?  W was there when she was 5-7 weeks, initially for dehydration, then an operation.  I remember that there was a parents room where you could make toast, tea and coffee.  

I used to get such bad heartburn because I would go to the cafeteria (taking turns with A) wolf down my food so that I could get back to her as quickly as possible.

#8 Titania

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

Nope - you need to take stuff, and/or have people drop things in to you. I have, a few times, asked if there's any left over sandwiches though - they have them sometimes... And I would always get a couple of bottles of water.

#9 katbalou

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

My then 2 year old DS was in Murwillumbah Hospital, northern NSW for 4 days with rotavirus (ghastly thing), and I was not entitled to meals.  His 12 months old breastfed brother was admitted the next day, and then I was told I was now entitled to meals. It is a public hospital.  I would have thought this was normal... but from PPs obviously not everywhere.

#10 EasterRoad

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

I wasn't given anything at Women's and Children's either.  We've had a few stays at Flinders Medical Centre as well, though, and they supply meals to breastfeeding mothers if your child is under 6 months.  Having said that, the nurses there always managed to get me something to eat even when my DS was over a year old.

#11 ~4LittleDucks~

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

Our ds was taken by ambulance & admitted at 3weeks as he stopped breathing 7 times,turned out he had severe broncialitis(SP?)..Not once was i offered any form of meal..I complained as ds was is fully breastfeed and we were private patients in public hospital...I think its wrong nno.gif I could not leave my tiny ds for anything,was far too scared too cry1.gif

#12 Mummato3lilones

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

hi,
my DS2 was in hospital when he was 8days old he was in the childrens ward at a public hospital i got meals it seemed policy that breastfeeding mothers got meals. Even once the drinks lady come around and seen my newborn and kept going the nurse called out she's BFing her baby so she came back and had to offer me a drink. They were really supportive  they even had a breastpump i could use original.gif

#13 atua

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

i have always been offered meals at my local hospital (campbelltown NSW) regardless of how my children have been fed.

when #1 has been admitted for croup, dehydration i was always offered meals - first admission was 10w old and they were FF, dehydration she was 17mths old and i was 3mths pregnant.

when #1 was in ED earlier this year with an allergic reaction to a bee sting i was given a meal for her and a meal for me as i had 6w old #3 with me who is bf.

this was a public patient in a public hospital, a friend was given meals as well when her 3.5 year old was in for surgery.

Edited by manfurme, 02 February 2009 - 09:45 PM.

#14 AuntyK

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

No, never. The only thing I have seen is for the rooming in at the SCN, when the babies are about to go home and the mothers stay for a couple of nights so they get to room in before they take their babies home. I noticed that they were able to order meals. But otherwise, no I haven't seen that 'service' available at all.

I will admit that the time we were transferred to Sydney (from Canberra) with my DS, we were at least able to stay at Ronald McDonald house and there were precooked meals in the freezer for times we weren't able to cook for ourselves. That did help a lot.

K

#15 ikeaqueen

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

DS2 was in WCH for a month from 3.5 months - 4.5 months old, fully BF.  Didn't get offered one meal but there were facilities to make tea/coffee or toast on the ward.

I used to go to the cafeteria during nap time for lunch, get food in a takeaway container and take it back to DS2.  Dinner DH was there too so he'd bring me something.

I ended up with a portable fridge in my room so kept breakfast in there dev (6).gif

We ended up with a discount card for the cafeteria too because he'd been in so long - tell you what though, NEVER want to eat another thing from that cafeteria if I can avoid it!!!!  Got to sample the entire menu in that time!

#16 whydoibother

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

yep no questions asked here when DS was 2 weeks old he was in with RSV/bronchiolitis for 2 nights on kids ward and i got proper meals, 3 times a day.

#17 lucky 2

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

Meals should be available at a cost for a non-patient, which is what you are, it may not be right but thats how it works. Same as for a partner staying in a double bed room with mum and bub after birth, the dad is not the patient but can be catered for, when arranged and for a cost. Check this out when/if your bub is admitted. Though with hospital food you may prefer to have food brought in! Don't expect it, most public hospitals are in the red all the time, cutting back and tightening costs all the time.

#18 kristin5

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

At the paed ward at Monash Medical Centre, I was allowed to order meals (3 times a day) when I was still BF my son. But when I stopped BF, the meals stopped too (though often the ladies would give me the meals if someone had been discharged or whatever).

#19 mummabubba

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

DS was at the Mater in Brisbane for a few nights when he was about 16 months, and I could have meals, but I needed to pay for them (which wasn't a problem - much more convenient for me...).  

I would definitely ask them for meals, and explain your problem to them.  Try to find someone in charge.

#20 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

i got fed.
better fo0od than i could get at home too

#21 Neonatal Diabetes

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

DD is currently in hospital at the RCH in Melbourne.

Breastfeeding mothers are supplied with Lunch and Dinner. It consisits of a Soup, Sandwich/Main and a Desert yogurt/piece of fruit and a Juice.

I think its great, when you have children in hospital you dont exactly have time to be eating haelthy balanced meals and I guess they want to encourage breastfeeding and there is no cost for them to provide formula.

#22 Phoenix Blue

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne does. Has a fantastic breastfeeding policy IMO. You get lunch and dinner (I think breakfast is help yourself from the ward kitchen) which you pick up yourself (or get DH to!) from the kitchen. They have a list everyday of the BF mother's and mark you off.

They also have pumping rooms on every ward, as well as supply pumps, shields, bottles etc, which get washed, sterilised for you, as well as store your milk in the formula room.

It would be fantastic if all children's hospitals did this. Perhaps you could write a letter of complaint?

Kate

#23 2littledarlings

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

When our DS was in hospital for 6 nights at 5 months i was given all meals.  This was a Ballarat Base hospital

#24 Blondiebear

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

This is a bit of a sore point for me. When DD was 6 1/2 weeks old I took her into RCH Melbourne with a head injury, we arrived at about 11:30am and I spent all afternoon with her in the emergency department (apart from when we went for a CT scan). As you can imagine I did not want to leave her for a second but at about 4pm my in-laws arrived and insisted I go get something to eat, couldn't really eat as I was so distraught but got a coffee from Macca's. We were eventually admitted for overnight observation and didn't get to the room until about 6:30pm, by which time I'd missed the evening meal that was supposed to be provided for BFing mothers. Again I did not want to leave DD for a minute so no food all night. In the morning I was told there was toast and coffee in the family room for breakfast, I found this was literally toast and coffee, just a loaf of cheap white bread, not even marg to spread on it. At this point I went back to Macca's to get myself a sausage mcmuffin. I don't think it would've hurt them to have a few sandwiches and some fruit available in the fridge. As a fully BF'd 6 week old DD wasn't taking any of their food or formula, the way I see it feeding me is feeding the patient and if the patient had been an older child given no evening meal and nothing but plain white toast for breakfast it would be unacceptable.

#25 ~LTM~

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:15 AM

My daughter was hospitalised in Canberra last year and I was given breastfeeding meals.  I was in the paediatric ward, if that made a difference?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.