Were you offered meals when your breastfed baby stayed in hospital? - *Answers counted post #47*

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 AJ#99

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

DS#1 (prem) was in the FP House in Melb, I wasn't given any meals (except when I was actually an in-patient).  When he was transferred to Mitcham Private I was allowed 1 meal a day and also got morning or afternoon tea.

When DD was at Box Hill Hospital at 6 months & at the RCH at 8 months neither hospitals gave me any meals, despite the fact I was still breastfeeding.  They did however give DD a meal at 8 months as she had started solids.

With DS#2 when I was at Mitcham hospital(not admitted) for 30min of monitoring well before he was born I was given morning tea.

Seems each hospital is different.  You can usually order the meals cheaply on the ward.

Edited by AJ#99, 03 February 2009 - 11:41 AM.

#27 mytwobabygirls

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

We stayed at Flinders hospital for 3 nights when bub's was 3 months, with RSV leading to pnemonia. They give meals only to b/f mum's of under 6 month old babies. I was provided with cold jug's of water at all times, Lunch and Dinner and access to a tea room for breakfast(Cereal, toast, tea and coffee).

They also had a lovely volunteer, just like the nana in all story book's. She came in each morning and checked that all mum's had eaten and had time for showers etc.

She would sit with my bub's so i wouldn't worry that she'd wake up alone and i could sneak out for breakfast of wake myself up with a nice hot shower.

I was very impressed with how much help i recieved.  yyes.gif

#28 bluthbananas

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

When my DD was 8 weeks old she was admitted to Mater Childrens in brisbane for three nights. I was BF and didnt get any meals or drinks. It was very difficult as my partner had to work during the day.

#29 loulouthomo

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

oomg.gif I know it's just policy that most of these hospitals aren't able to offer meals but I am a little surprised...

When I took DD1 (she was about 22 months) to the ER as she was vomiting/disoriented we had to stay several hours to be seen by various people.  I asked for a breast pump (DD2 (about 5 weeks) was with my mum who thankfully was staying with me so I could express.

Not only did they bring down the pump but they brought some brekky for both me and DD1  original.gif

#30 creatamum

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:12 PM

In our local hospital I was always offered meals even when DS was in overnight at 2yo, they even feed the parents of ER patients. They also have a patient & family kitchen on each ward which you are free to help yourself too that is always stocked with basics like sandwiches, salads, jelly, yogurt, soup, biscuits, juice, coffee, tea, water etc. It was brilliant for the people that were admitted during the day that were too late to order a meal. It does not matter what age the patients is the family & friends are welcome to the kitchen as long as they clean up behind themselves.

#31 mamma2miracles

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

DS was in NICU and SCN for just over 2 weeks in 2 different hospitals after he was born, neither one offered food although the smaller private hospital (SCN) did tell me if I got hungry, let somebody know and they'd find me something.  There was also a fridge with free water, tea, coffee, lemonade on offer.

#32 arniet

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

When my DD1 has been to The Canberra Hospital I have always been given meals when I was BF.

#33 Obesa cantavit

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

When in the ER at the RCH Melboure, yes, offered breakfast both times. WHilst DD1 was in NICU at the same hospital at 4 days old, no I was not offered any meals even when I stayed overnight in one of their emergency accomodation rooms.

#34 jamt

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

DS was at the Sydney's Children Hospital at Randwick for 2 nights when a couple of weeks old. He was fully BF but we weren't offered meals either.

#35 Sunny003

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

I've had both my boys in, both b/f'ed and only ever offered sandwiches in A&E one!

On the ward, the only reason I got food was due to DS2's allergies- we bought food in for him, and I ate hospital food and/or cafateria food. He was b/f with small amounts of solids.

I never thought to ask for food.

Paulette

#36 CountryBumpkin

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

my son spent alot of his first 6 weeks in fremantle hospital in perth, and i got offered breakfast, lunch and dinner. it was routine for breastfeeding mums.

#37 BlueEyedBeauties

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

I know its not the same as a baby staying in SCN or anything straight after birth, but my DD was admitted to hospital with Bronchiolitis for 7 days and no meals were provided for the staying parent.. works out very expensive having to buy all meals, drinks, snacks etc.

#38 neen238

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

Our local public hospital provides all meals for BF mothers, both in maternity ward & kids ward (where we spent about 2 wks).
At 6mths, DD was flown to Sydney Childrens Hospital.While waiting for the helicopter to arrive, I was offered a breastpump in the ED at our local hospital (I had my own), & then the nice male nurse went & fetched a cooler bag & ice pack for me to store the milk.
On arrival at ED at Syd Childrens Hospital, I was given sandwiches & drinks, however once admitted to a ward, I had to go to the cafeteria. They did have a kitchen (& laundry) at the end of the ward, and there was a Coles down the street, so I grabbed a few things there. No meals supplied to BF mothers there.

#39 tinkster23

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

My work provides juice and toast for all parents who stay overnight and full meals (and snacks) for breastfeeding mothers, its VERY dodgy that this isn't universal.

#40 annababy

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

Nope, DD was almost 18months though, but it was just me and her, and i was 6 months pregnant, so starving we got to the emergancy dept at 8pm, hadnt eaten dinner and we didnt get admitted to the childrens ward till 2pm.  I was exhausted.  

I was told I could go to the canteen and buy some food, but grabbing my wallet before the ambulance arrived was the last thing on my mind.

#41 Shibley

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

My work provides juice and toast for all parents who stay overnight and full meals (and snacks) for breastfeeding mothers, its VERY dodgy that this isn't universal.

Ditto!

Also the kids ward I worked on prior to my current work place (and the RCH Melbourne prior to that)

#42 Rhoxie

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

Yes   -  DS2 was re-admitted at 10 days old and we were in hospital for about 3-4 days.  I got a bed and full meals. Armadale public hospital in Perth.

#43 *edb*

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

My DS wasnt breastfed at the time, but he stayed in hospital for 2 nights when he was 7weeks old (I stayed with him) and I wasnt offered any meals, was told the cafeteria was downstairs.. I was sharing a room with 3 other babies (1 other mum was staying) and she was breastfeeding and she was also not offered meals.. maybe because we were at a childrens hospital in the infants ward and meals would generally be the norm in there anyway?

and my (and the other mums) "bed" was a recliner.. no bed.. a recliner chair with a sheet.. grr.. I know I was only in for a short stay but the other mum was in there and her daughter having brain surgery (4weeks old) and they had travelled over 6 hours to get to the hospital so couldnt exactly 'pop home' (neither could i was we travelled 5 hours).. but i really felt for her.. sad.gif

#44 Lizz

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

When my ds2 was admitted at 5months old and exclusively breastfed I was given 3 meals a day at no charge.  They said if he wasn't breastfed I would have had to have paid for the meals which at that time were $10 each.  That was also the price if Dh wanted to order a meal with mine when I was in the hospital having each child.

I was also given a full bed because he was in a cot. I was told that if he was out of a cot and into a full bed I would have been given the chair only to sleep in.

ETA: Not sure if it matters but this was a private hospital.

Edited by Lizz, 03 February 2009 - 04:54 PM.

#45 Alis Volat Propiis

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

I dont work in a children's hospital but work work in a combined ICU where we look after children. We 'always' supply meals for the carer. That may be mum/dad/nana/aunty etc. We appreciate the help they provide in caring for the little one, especially once they are awake. We also have a visitors room with refreshments and facilities. However we dont supply meals for carers of adult patients.

I would encourage anyone in hospital to ask for something. Most nurses will happily arrange an extra meal to be delivered if you are staying in hospital with your child.

Sharna

#46 tigermama

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

Nope, none offered here, but I did help myself to the snacks in the maternity unit : )

#47 blueberrymuffin

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

So up until post #46:

Given meals: 26
Not given meals: 21

(Some posts counted more than once because of more than 1 stay.)

Not counting hospitals that let you pay for meals.

Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne does. Has a fantastic breastfeeding policy IMO. You get lunch and dinner (I think breakfast is help yourself from the ward kitchen) which you pick up yourself (or get DH to!) from the kitchen. They have a list everyday of the BF mother's and mark you off.

It would be fantastic if all children's hospitals did this. Perhaps you could write a letter of complaint?

That hospital sounds great. I would have thought that all public hospitals would be like this sad.gif , especially with the promotion of breastfeeding.

I don't think I'll write a letter of complaint. I wrote a complaint letter about a certain horrible midwife after I had DS at that hospital, and the Complaints Coordinator might be tired of me lol.

My daughter was hospitalised in Canberra last year and I was given breastfeeding meals. I was in the paediatric ward, if that made a difference?

We were in a paediatric ward. Rose Ward, Med 1. There were babies and kids, oldest I saw may have been about 7 years old.

We stayed at Flinders hospital for 3 nights when bub's was 3 months, with RSV leading to pnemonia. They give meals only to b/f mum's of under 6 month old babies. I was provided with cold jug's of water at all times, Lunch and Dinner and access to a tea room for breakfast(Cereal, toast, tea and coffee).

They also had a lovely volunteer, just like the nana in all story book's. She came in each morning and checked that all mum's had eaten and had time for showers etc.

Wow, I was thinking that since hospitals are state run, that the answers here would be state based. I can't believe Flinders is so different. Too bad it's far away from where I am. That is so much help, wish I could have had that. I want a nana-like volunteer lady.

I don't understand why it isn't universal either.

I'll be asking for meals, and be paying for them if I can if DS does have to go back ( hands.gif ing he doesn't have to). The ward he stayed in did have a parents room that had tea, coffee and toast available. At least a few of my meals consisted of only bread.

If I have any energy at some point I do want to write a letter to someone, other than the Complaints Coordinator at the hospital. Maybe the ABA? Local MP? State government? Not sure who. But if breastfeeding is to be encouraged, I really think that at the very least mothers who are exclusively breastfeeding should be provided with meals.

#48 lil whimsy

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

When my last child spent many nights at different times in hospital who was breast fed, even at 2 months of age i was never offered food or drink.
My husband would have to bring me stuff in to leave in the parents kitchen which sometimes went missing.

#49 lucky 2

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

perhaps contact health reporter for any newspaper, ABA and Health ministers State and Federal.

#50 papilio

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

When we were in Rose Ward it was only for children under 12 months.  My MIL brought us in a few frozen pasta meals that we could heat up in the parent's room.

John Hill is the Minister for Health here in SA.  I hope you don't need to go back to hospital!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.