Were you offered meals when your breastfed baby stayed in hospital? - *Answers counted post #47*

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 Bridandzar

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

When my daughter was 5 weeks old she was admitted to the Royal Childrens Hospital in Melbourne.  I was given a sofa bed next to her ad three meals a day.  It made things so much easier and I will never forget this and will always dig deeper into my pockets when the Good Friday Appeal comes around.  I have collected for them for 20 years and will continue to do so!

#52 threebillylids

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

OMG I can't believe you were NOT offered meals. I have been in hospital MANY MANY MANY times with my son, when he was breastfed and later when he was on solids. Both private and public hospitals provided boarder meals for me. The public hospital left a bit to be desired in the food offerings, but some cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and the usual adult dinner meal at night - greatful to be fed when you have a 12 day hospital admission. The private was MUCH better with both of us getting full meals from menu choices, we have been here for two 14 day stints and some day procedures and get fed EVERY TIME. I did not realise how lucky I am. I have not had to beg and staff sneak anything at any time. In the private hospital, the fridge is always packed with food for free access anytime of day or night.

#53 jo074

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

Nothing offered for lunch and dinner at PMH hospital when my son was 2 weeks old, but they did have toast available in the common room in the mornings. If I had thought to get myself admitted as a private patient, as well as the benefit of the hospital receiving the funds from my PHI, I would have received meals.

#54 threebillylids

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

Oh I have had a bed every single time too, both private and public. The last 14 day admission, I needed to bring my 10 month old still breastfed baby also, we had a room to ourselves with a bed (for me) and two cots for the two kids to sleep, so I could do the care of my 3 year old. It wa sgreat, the kids had free reign on the floor, own bathroom, brought our own toys in and they were littered all over the floor (no threat of theft). We got a bed on the maternity ward, so as my daughter was breastfed, they were mortified if I could not bring my baby and continue breastfeeding just because my 3 year old was in hospital. It was a relief. I did all the care of both kids and the nursing staff only ever had to administer medication and take obs. I did all the physiotherapy exercises and just told them about it so they could document it. I know they are greatful for the parental help that is soooo time consuming when they are sick, but still active enough to put them at risk of them removing drips, climbing out of cots and getting into all sorts of mischief on their own.

#55 mumof3b1g

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

My daughter was born in 2003 and had major bowel surgery at 2 days old.
We were in PMH for 12 weeks and I didnt get any meals supplied from the  kitchen as such but as we were long stay we did get a voucher booklet thing from the NICU social worker and that included one free meal a day from the cafe downstairs and free parking  tthumbs.gif

I would encourage anyone in hospital to ask for something. Most nurses will happily arrange an extra meal to be delivered if you are staying in hospital with your child.

I completely agree, and if they cant organise a meal directly they will certainly try and get you something to help out.

#56 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

DS2 was born in Darwin Private Hospital at 36w5d.  He spent only one night in the nursery under observation (he was resuscitated because the cord was around his neck), then moved into my room.  When my OB discharged me, DS was admitted under the paediatrician.  We weren't even moved to a different room, so every morning the breakfast tray arrived with my meal orders for the next 24 hours.

If he'd been in the nursery when I was discharged, they might have moved me to a boarding mums room (2 or 4 shared), but as far as I could tell, the boarding mums were supplied with all their meals as well.

Rebecca

#57 threebillylids

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

Yes, we were Darwin Private Hospital and Royal Darwin Hospital. Hi Bec.

#58 cassi8

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

I've just left Westmead Kids hospital with DS for the 2nd time. First time at 2.5 weeks and now just shy of 5 months and nothing. DH came in the morning so I can shower and get out of the room for a bit to eat and then come back at night and have dinner with me so I had some company. There was a volunteer yesterday that offered to look after bub but DH had left me some lunch.

It really is sad that they don't offer even meals at a cost for carers.

For whoever stayed at Ronald McDonald house, the meals are cooked by volunteers. So very generous of them! wub.gif

#59 shellc

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

My son was 6 weeks old and fully breastfed when we were first admitted to RNS in Sydney. We were there for 10 days and every single one of my meals was catered for (even catered for the non-meat-eater - me!). We were again catered for when he was readmitted at 5 months. Their care was excellent!

#60 Monket

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

DD was born early and spent 10 days in SCN.  She was being fed expressed breast milk and during this time I was never offered any meals or even a cup of tea or coffee.  There was no parents room and the cafeteria was only open for minimal hours a day.  There was a coffee machine, cold drink machine and chocolate/chip machine in the foyer.  As DD was the only patient in the SCN I was also asked to be there for staff morning/afternoon tea and meal times as there weren't enough staff to cover the breaks.  As I do not live far from the hospital they also requested that I do the 11.00pm and 6.00am feeds.  Anyhoo, that is a rant for another day....back to the topic....definitely no food provided!!

#61 Tildababy

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:29 PM

My DD2 was admitted when 14months old with a gastro bug and I was pleasantly surprised when the staff popped in and told me I wouldn't have to worry about meals. I was also set up with a bed for the stay. This was in a country hospital too!!

#62 neen238

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

When DD was admitted to Sydney Childrens Hospital, she was a private patient in a public hospital - but no meals provided for me - even though I was exclusively breastfeeding, and my health insurance was paying the hospital for our stay  wacko.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.