starting a small business
starting a small business

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kazz

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:54 PM

Hi There,
Just wondering if anyone has any 'words of wisdom' or advise on starting my own travel agency.  I have worked in both retail and corporate travel agencies for about 10 years and have worked for a large airline the last 3 years.  I have looked into starting an agency twice before but decided against it as I would of had to have a business partner to help finance it.
I am finally at the stage in my life where I could get this off the ground myself and I feel I have the knowledge and experience to make it a success.  My concerns or rather my husbands concerns are that I would not have as much time for our family.  My daughter is almost 18 months old.  She is currently in creche 3 days per weeks as I am working part time.  She has been offered a place in 2004 for 5 days a week at this creche which she loves attending.  But my husband ever so suttlely makes me feel guilty for having her in creche.  Unfortunelty my dh's mother ran off with another man when DH was 2yo.  So DH was brought up by his father who never remarried.
I am just not sure if I am making the right decision to start a business or is it just DH making me doubt myself?  I do feel he holds me back in some ways.  Has anyone else had simmilar situations with there DH?

Love to hear your views!!

Regards
Karen & Jemma 12mths

#2 tle

Posted 29 December 2003 - 02:00 PM

Have you considered becoming a niche agency targeted directly at family holidays.  That way, you could set up a small play area in your shop/office for when clients come in with their kids.  It would also enable you to have your own daughter with you at least a few days a week.  Since you would be dealing mainly with parents anyway they would probably understand you having your daughter at work with you (and being interupted occassionaly).

Another idea, is it feasible to hire someone else for a few days a week so that you don't have to work every day.  

Or, promote yourself as an agency that works later hours so that you can serve clients after hours when they finish work.  e.g. open from 2pm to 7pm so that your partner share the responsibility of looking after your daughter when he gets home from work.

Tanya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.