Jump to content
When induction doesn't work?
6 replies to this topic
Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:32 PM
I went into hospital last Friday to be induced. We tried the gel 3 x times between Friday night and Saturday morning with absolutely no result! I have a very thick cervix that the gel just didn't work on and this it didn't get any thinner nor open. There was no point even trying to break my waters. By 5pm Saturday I was sent home with advice we might try again this Thursday??
The good news is that throughout all the monitoring baby & I were fine. My blood pressure is normal and baby is under no stress. My OB wanted to induce me mainly because of potential complications due to low platelets. My blood tests on the day showed my platelets to be ok. I was offered an elective ceasar but didn't think there was any medical reason and am not prepared to go there just because baby won't stick to our timetable. I'm seeing my OB again tomorrow to discuss where to from here.
I've never heard of induction not working at all! Apparently my cervix is extremely thick and long so I have doubts that a second go at it will work any better, unless we have had some kind of natural progress in the interim.
I'd be keen to hear from others who have had experiences with either inducement not working at all, or others with a super thick cervix and how their births went.
Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:54 PM
It does and can happen particularly if you are being induced before your due date.
I would ask your OB if you could wait until at least your due date to try and induce again. I have a very strong suspicion that if the next induction fails he will talk you into a c/section. Problem is that if your body isn't ready to go into labour, chances are that the gels won't work. Does your OB use cervidil. This is another type of method for inducing labour - it is a hormone "impregnated" tampon like thing that when inserted, wraps around your cervix releasing hormones to try and soften and thus dilate your cervix. Perhaps the gel just isn't staying in the right spot but more likely, your body just isn't ready to go into labour yet. When are you due?
I had 3 lots of gels to get me into labour with my second baby. My OBs limit was 4 and then I would be sent home like you were. I was fortunate enough that not long after the third lot my waters broke so no being sent home for me. I was 39 +4 and being induced due to a big baby (and she was) but I must admit, I was borderline it not working.
For our last child, when she was also suspected of being big at 39 +4 days, I agreed to an induction provided that the Dr only had to break my waters. I didn't want to go through the whole gel thing again and figured if he wasn't able to just break my waters I would wait another week and hope she would "fit". I was lucky with her and was already 3cm dilated when I went for my appointment so he just broke my waters.
Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:27 PM
OP, i really think you need to question the logic here. Why are you being induced? Low platelets? How is an induction going to fix that? It won't make your platelet count any higher. But it will increase the chance of complications in your labour, especially because your baby and body are clearly not ready to labour. Low platelets is certainly no reason to do a CS, but question the need for the induction too. If vaginal birth is fine, why do you need an induction?
I have known several women who have had failed inductions - the medication used doesn't always work, and it never works if your body and baby are not ready to come. Some people believe an induction results in preterm babies. That is because the baby was not ready to come (if it was, it would have started labour), so the risk of a premature baby is always there when you induce. You never know - maybe your baby's real birthday would be 2 weeks away? And is there any harm waiting?
Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:37 PM
I just wanted to add further to Mellissa's post, a normal pregnancy can be up to 42 weeks. If you were unsure of your dates, then the ultrasound dating can be =/- 7 days, so you might not actually be overdue until 43 weeks. I am not sure how far along you are but if you platelet count is ok and you are not overdue and your baby is fine, it is OK to decline an induction.
Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:25 PM
I've had two diff experiences. Duno if I have a "thick" cervix perhaps a little uncooperative !
Both times went over 10+ days
Both times had gel. First time it made my waters break and went into kind of prelabour (after told nothing happenning they kept pushing sleeping pills panadeine forte on me. I took half what they recommended after I became embarrassed when pre labour started in room with another woman. Big mistake so wonky and tired I think it contributed to long labour. I refused sytntocin in morning hoping for natural labour but 12 hours in I was about 3 cm dilated. Didn't have baby until another 11 hours. Lots of syntocin. Epidural that didn't work (window where feel eveything on left side) baby was born vaginally with no forceps etc but long pushing stage and nasty tear
Second time was on friday. Two lots of gel didn't get anything started. I asked to go home. Best decision I ever made. I went into labour that night and had fabulous short 4 hour labour with only 3 hours or so of proper contractions. No drugs got to do all things missed out on first time labour in bath in front of fire. Gave birth v shortly after arrivinh in hospital excellent short pushing stage managed well by midwife where I actuaLly breathed during contractions and did small pushes in between. Small tear felt like a million bucks after. Gorgeous baby boy
Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:12 PM
Thanks for sharing folks.
Well I went back to my OB today and my internal examination showed absolutely no progress whatsover. My cervix is still as thick as ever and I haven't dilated at all. The baby's head was engaged a couple of weeks ago and now it isn't. So I've even gone backwards!
I've been doing loads of walking and when I do I can feel a lot of pressure in my pelvis so we suspect that the baby is trying to move down there but there just isn't enough room. We know from ultrasounds 6 weeks ago that baby has a big head so it doesn't look like it is going to fit! I've put on 2kgs in a week and it feels like it is all baby, my belly has exploded in the past 4 days. So with a big baby with a big head that is still growing, being overdue, and making no progress as far as a thinning cervix we've opted to book in for a c/s for Friday night. Fingers crossed by some miracle things progress naturally before then ... but it isn't looking likely. We've tried loads of encouragement - hot spicy foods, sex, pineapple, G&T, walking 5kms per day, climbing stairs, everything other than castor oil (I draw the line there).
I'm disappointed that a VB is looking more like a remote option, but I'm comfortable that this is the right decision for baby & I. I've been doing pelvic floor exercises like a woman possessed, we've done perineum massage to help stretch & avoid tears, but one of the midwives has still commented on my narrow delivery passage. I guess I'll just use that TENS machine I've hired for a bit of pain relief in the interim.
Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:21 PM
it is truly amazing what your body is capable of when you let it be in charge as nature intends, no matter how much you doubt it's ability. having said that:
I'm comfortable that this is the right decision for baby & I
thats what matters most. good luck
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles