Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:46 AM

New thread time ladies, link to last thread:

http://members.essentialbaby.com.au/index....howtopic=612394

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

Lauren, I've been thinking of you. xxx

#3 Juzz

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

Hey Lauren, Thanks for updating us on your Mum's health, though with the news being bad, it's hard to know what to say to give you comfort ddown.gif , suffice to say I'm also thinking of you during these difficult times...  Take care, Juzz xox

#4 Miss Ireland

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:41 PM

Lauren

Thinking of you. You are all in my prayers.  I don't know what to say apart from I am totally gutted for you.  

Take care mate and be good to yourself.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

#5 ~brighteyes~

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

Thinking of you Lauren!

#6 Gin and Tonic

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hey Lauren. I am glad your boys got to see her.  
My heart goes out to you.  Do whatever you can to keep yourself strong.

#7 Pickle81

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

So very sorry Lauren xxxxx  
Giving your kids a chance to say goodbye though is a very important thing. I've never had to say goodbye to any relatives, but Vic's grandmother lived in the house when she died of cancer, and he said every morning he would go and see her, and as terrible as it was, he is very glad he did.

Sav, sounds like you and Ray may be able to sort things out between yourselves which is great.  Hope your taking car of yourself.

That's it for me today.  We have had a massive weekend and I'm worn out lol  We had friends and their 3 kids stay out Friday night to have a cocktail night with us (me and gf went to bed about 12.30, but the boys were up until 3.30 lol)  Then yesterday we had Picnic races to go to at lunch time(my first ever races, but I figured anywhere you need a new outfit can't be bad lol) , and stayed the night at one of the girls at work's place and her 3 kids lol  Got home at about 4 this arvo, needless to say we are all cactus, and me having a headcold is not helping the tiredness lol.

Big hugs Lauren, take care of yourself ok hun xx

#8 Nerual

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

We went to Brisbane yesterday & took the  boys up for what will probably be their last time.  It was hard for them as she was visably different, not speaking & slipping in & out of sleep. They were obviously uncomfortable with her & had no interaction with her, though in her condition nor did DH & I. So when we left the boys talked about the visit & if she'll get better etc & handled it all well. It was very sad for them to see her like that but, part of the process of understanding whats happening. Now we're just playing wait & see.

Nate is talking about whats happening a fair bit so i discussed it with his teacher today so that she isn't in the dark & feilding any 'weird' questions. Zane on the other hand is not saying much about it. I'm initiating discussions about it with him though so that he doesn't feel uncomfortable bringing it up.

THats all for now
Lauren

#9 Nerual

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

Hi girls.

Well it happened. Mum passed away in the wee hours of Thursday morning. I've spent yesty & today in brisbane with my dad & sisters organinsing what needs doing & have the funeral planned for next Wednesday.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts & support.

Lauren

#10 Miss Ireland

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

Oh Lauren I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family will be alright.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care

#11 Pickle81

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

hugs to you and your family Lauren xxx
Been popping in to see how you are going.
Thinking of you all xxx

#12 Juzz

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

Oh Lauren, I'm so very sorry to hear your sad news sad.gif  Take care and know I'm thinking of you, your DH and your boys at this challenging time in your lives...  Please know you can come in here anytime and share your thoughts and concerns with us all - or just have a good old vent! Have you decided if you're taking your boys to the funeral?

Am sending you big ((((((((cyber-hugs)))))))) original.gif

Edited by Juzz, 27 February 2009 - 09:34 PM.

#13 ~brighteyes~

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:53 AM

Big hugs to Lauren and family,

I've had a sick little girl at home part of this week. A cold affecting her asthma, which turned into a high fever thursday at school. Plus a spot of constipation from her not feeling like eating much this week.

We're getting ready to move to my parent's in 3 weeks time to save some money. Whole lot of paperwork to change schools and transfer her, plus my other computer has a virus problem so I'm trying to do everything on the laptop, which of course doesn't work as well for me.

Take care,
Savanna

#14 Gin and Tonic

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

Hey lauren
I'm so sorry to hear about your mum.  
Sending you hugs through the ether to get you through the next few weeks.

Len

Edited by Gin and Tonic, 01 March 2009 - 04:59 PM.

#15 Victory

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

Lauren - I have been thinking of you often and will continue to do so

xxx

#16 Nerual

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for your thoughts. For the last 13 years I've lived away from my parents, I went to Sydney for 3 yrs came back with DH & we bought our own place, then my parents moved to Melbourne then Sydney & moved back to Brisbane about 2 months after DH & I & the boys moved up to the Sunshine Coast. So its a weird, surreal feeling that Mum has gone. I guess it'll be emotional for the next few family gatherings when we realise that she's missing.

We have the funeral on Wednesday morn which we'll be heading down to Brissie early & coming back home that afternoon. Zane is upset about going (not crying, just not wanting to go....he's going to miss his 1st week of Walla Rugby after training for the last month for it) but I can see that he's not up for the emotions of the day....but is anyone. We'll work with him to help him process it in his way. & with any luck, we may just make it back to his school for the 4pm kick off!

Both boys are going well at school. Zane is probably sitting just on or slightly above average & loving his sports. Nate is loving prep & has made a mountain of friends. He's got his first birthday party this Sunday. He's stoked about it as when Zane goes to parties, Nate's always upset about missing out!

Nate's classed performed on the school assembly today. They sung doh, rae, me (sound of music). It was so sweet. So much so that it brought tears to my eyes! Pathetic aren't I!!

I got some work this week which is a welcome distraction from the realities of the time. Speaking of which, i'm trying to finish my 1st draft tonight so that I can shop for an outfit for Wednesday....Am trying to find a simple black dress or skirt & top. I've been out of the corporate office world for a few years now & actually have neither. Any tips on where I should go looking?

Take care all.
Lauren

#17 Gin and Tonic

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

Leona Edmiston has stacks of simple black dresses. Most of them are soft jersey and wrap so they are very flattering.
Checkout Myer, but her stores have more stuff. I went to her store here in perth on the weekend and there were lots of them on sale.  

Where else?  How about Wayne Cooper, or Cue?  I think I even saw one in French Connection last week.
Maybe start at Myer and DJs in the designer sections.  Black dresses are everywhere for winter and at the moment lots of them have shorter sleeves.

Why am I such an expert?  I have a wardrobe full of black dresses so I am always on the hunt for them.  They are my work "uniform"!

#18 Nerual

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

Thanks love. Nothing beats expert knowledge.  biggrin.gif

#19 Gin and Tonic

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

PS Country Road and Witchery have some too.

#20 EsmeLennox

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

Lauren, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you've all coped OK with the funeral.

I'll be thinking of you.

#21 Gin and Tonic

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

Hey Lauren, thinking of you.  Hope everything went ok on Wednesday.

#22 Juzz

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

Hi girls,

Lauren - I've been thinking of you this week too and hope you and your boys have held up OK...

Savanna - sounds like you're having a hard time of things too - if you don't mind me asking, what's the arrangement you and Ray have come too?  Sounds like he's keeping the house, or are you selling up and splitting the proceeds? It'll no doubt be hard for Aleisha changing schools, perhaps she's fretting about the changes in her life and this is making her more prone to get sick?  Am thinking of you too!

I'm hoping to finally find the time this long weekend to fill you all in on Mitchell's ongoing "issues" - I just need to put it all out there so to speak, which will hopefully be somewhat therapeutic (sp?) for me wacko.gif

I hope everyone else is doing OK original.gif  Am I the only one who can't believe there's only a few weeks until the end of Term 1 - feels like the school year only just started! oomg2.gif

Take care,

#23 EsmeLennox

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

Lauren, how are you?

Juzz, hope you are OK too. No I can't believe that term 1 is half over. Both from Jeremy's point of view and mine! I feel like I've hardly gotten organised at work. Teaching part time is a bit of a bummer in that respect, it takes so much longer to establish and build relationships with the kids.

How have everyone's kids settled into 'big school' (if this is their first year)? Jeremy is just fine, but my nephew is having a really hard time of it. I didn't know what to say to my SIL yesterday. She asked me how Jeremy was going, I think she was hoping I was going to say terrible so she could feel she wasn't the only one with a child having difficulties. My nephew is a rather 'spirited' lad, and finding it really difficult that he has to sit for long periods etc. Sounds like they weren't at all prepared for the transition to year 1 last year in pre-primary (pre-primary is a play based curriculum in WA, but most teachers in the 2nd half of the year prepare them for the changes in year 1). I think my brother and SIL have had some pretty grave concerns about the school, I honestly think if he were mine I'd look at moving him somewhere else. SIL said last night they will make a decision about it this year, but does anyone else kind of feel this is 'too late'? I'm worried for my nephew that because of these issues he's missing some really important learning. Apparently he cries every morning and says he hates school etc. Mind you doesn't help that they had him go for a week, then he had 2 weeks off to go on holiday, which TBH, I think is pretty stupid in such an important transitional year (particularly in a child who struggles with change). wacko.gif He's also not eating at school - apparently the whole school (some 300 kids) has to sit in the undercover area for lunch (first 10 minutes) and he can't handle the noise and crowd etc. Just seems like the little ones at that school have been thrown in the deep end. Sorry for the rave about that, just really feel for my nephew and the difference between his experience and Jeremy's. Jeremy just loves school, he announced to SIL last night that he has 'the best teacher in the world' and so on. Actually just wanted him to shut up, as I think SIL is very upset about it all.

Anyway, better go, feral kids etc. My 'spirited' child (Harry) has been causing a few issues the last few days and I can see we're going to have another one of 'those days'!

Edited by Jemstar, 07 March 2009 - 10:04 AM.

#24 Juzz

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

Narelle,

This is Mitchell's 2nd year at school - I get thoroughly confused about the differences between states - he was in Prep last year and is now in Grade 1.  Before that he had a year of 4yo Kinder which is compulsory here in Vic. A bit sadly, Mitchell has never 'loved' school, he's pretty ambivalent about it - knows he has to go, so just accepts it...

With regards to your nephew I can relate to a number of the issues you raise!  Specifically re changing schools, my opinion is the sooner the better - if the school isn't a good "fit" and this is often just a case of the parents' gut feel, while changing schools will be unsettling short term, the long term result should be a happier lad who goes off to class with a smile on his face biggrin.gif  The not eating at school I can unfortunately totally relate to and it's very hard to deal with as a parent sad.gif

I had better run too - housework, chores and the local shops are all calling rolleyes.gif

Take care,

#25 Gin and Tonic

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

Narelle, I feel for your poor SIL.  What you are describing makes me wonder if boys and girls (on average) need different styles of education at that age?  As you know G goes to a girls' school, but they have boys from PreK to Prep.  At Prek it is fine, but as the boys get older you can see that it is not a school that caters well for boys.  Especially the 5-6 year olds.  It is way too structured even though it is Reggio Emilia based so it isnt really too structured compared to what it could be, but it definitely isnt play based.  The teachers find it very hard to control the boys in Prep, and they mostly arent "naughty" kids.

I went to the open day for the school T is going to next year and it is totally different.  They have big spaces, indoor/outdoor learning areas, everything was bigger allowing for more noise but without being crowded.  All the play was big too, large construction thingys that the kids could build things that they could play on in the classroom. T was in his element of course.  I made me think that G's school just doesnt really understand the needs of boys at that age.  This is not a resource issue, as both schools have the resources to provide anything really.  Its just that the boys are kind of an afterthought at G's school.  Lots of the boys manage fine, as there is a wide spectrum of learning styles, of course, but the boys that do need the space to learn dont get it.

Maybe your nephew needs another school that caters better for boys?
What is your view on this as a teacher?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.