best sanitary protection for teen just starting out

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Mumma3

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:02 PM

Hi girls,

just wanting to get a little pack together for DD who I anticipate is very close to get her first period (she's 12, almost 13).

Is there a particular brand of pad that is best for young girls? Is there one that is more "in" and "popular" than others, or worse is there a brand that is competely uncool (like the home brand that I use - assuming she won't be happy with those!!)

Any other advise for a first time teenage girl mum?  original.gif

#2 moomilker

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

my neice is very trendy and open,
she loves libra, and loves it when you get a "sweet" litle pouch, fits in school dress pocket perfectly apparently!!

#3 3_for_me

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

As she's of course smaller than  grown woman I would go with one of the more 'shaped' brands such as libra or stayfree.  Her first will probably be light so go for a light(if they have them) or regular flow, also grab some panty liners as she may just get a bit of spotting at first which doesn't need a full on pad.  Also, it sounds strange but if she finds them uncomfortable to wear suggest she puts the pad on one pair of undies and then puts another pair of undies over the top, just holds those huge pads in place better when they are on a small person wink.gif

#4 *Lucky~Ducky*

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

I prefer Libra and always have. they are comfy, and feel more secure.

Ive found everytime i have tried other brands, after about an hour they start to come apart, or the stuffing inside them gets all bunched up and gross.
Alot of the other brands have a certain type of stuff as the top liner, its feels kind of like a plastic type stuff, which i HATE as it makes you feel more 'wet' than you are.

wub.gif Libra. especially their new Libra Flex biggrin.gif

but if she finds them uncomfortable to wear suggest she puts the pad on one pair of undies and then puts another pair of undies over the top, just holds those huge pads in place better when they are on a small person

laughing2.gif I do this. I have a pair of 'bloomers' you know they are like undies but that stretchy fabric? makes you feel alot more secure!!

Edited by *Lucky~Ducky*, 11 March 2009 - 10:14 PM.

#5 Guest_*blush*_*

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

Just saw this in recent topics.

Is it recommended for young girls to use tampons? My MIL said she was told that tampons breed germs etc etc so has discouraged her teenage daughter from using them. She says she was told by her obstetrician not to use them.

I have used tampons since my very first period and don't have a problem with them.

Just wondering what todays Mum's and teenagers think?

Sorry to hijack blush.gif

#6 Rubixx

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

You can sign her up (or yourself) for a free Libra starter kit.

http://www.thefreebiesblog.com/2006/11/21/...rl-starter-kit/

#7 winterbaby

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:15 PM

Agree with PP's - libra are the best! I still use them when not using tampons.

My mother bought me stayfree ones for my first pack - hated them with passion... Don't know if they are any better these days, but they were a lot harder than libra & a little bulky - not at all cool for a self conseous teen!

I'd go with the ultrathin, regular ones - my flow has always been pretty heavy (sorry if TMI) & they have always been fine for me & they feel pretty good (well, as good as a pad can laughing2.gif).

ETA -
but if she finds them uncomfortable to wear suggest she puts the pad on one pair of undies and then puts another pair of undies over the top, just holds those huge pads in place better when they are on a small person

laughing2.gif I do this. I have a pair of 'bloomers' you know they are like undies but that stretchy fabric? makes you feel alot more secure!!
I used to have a pair of short bike pant type leggings (like the ones we used to wear to school sports days but stretchy cotton/elastaine???) that I wore over my undies - made me feel a lot more secure & that way also if I did happen to leak a little it wasn't noticed by anyone but me!

Edited by winterbaby, 11 March 2009 - 10:19 PM.

#8 *mumof4*

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

Just thought I would add this link in......I got my DD12 these from the supermarket to keep in her bag for the 'just in case it starts at school!' - the tins are soooo cute - just what a 12/13yo would love!

http://www.moxie.com.au/aus/

and great to be able to re-use the tins

HTH

#9 3_for_me

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

Well if I think back to sex ed at high school we were told not to use tampons until periods were well established. I think what it really comes down to is that there is a concern that younger girls may not realise how long the tampon has been in, especially if they have a light flow and leave it in for too long resulting in infection.  With pads it is not as easy to 'just leave it till later' as it's right in front of your eyes when you go to the loo if you know what I mean.  Once she has more awareness of the whole process and is more confident in managing it then tampons are fine.

#10 Rubixx

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:21 PM

There is also heaps of great info on teen products (stayfree) on this site in the "young people" section...

http://www.itsmybody.com.au/index.htm

#11 whydoibother

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

yeah sign up to one of those stayfree/libra/tampax etc sites nad they often send out kits free,
I think tampons are trickier sometimes for young girls for obvious reasons...pads are easier wink.gif
ETA the moxie ones in panty liners are cute have their own lil tin hehe i bought some just for the tin-not got AF back yet wink.gif

Edited by Rough-Diamond, 11 March 2009 - 10:26 PM.

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

Is it recommended for young girls to use tampons? My MIL said she was told that tampons breed germs etc etc so has discouraged her teenage daughter from using them. She says she was told by her obstetrician not to use them

As the mum of four girls who are now young adults I reckon there is not too much about periods and teenage girls we have not experienced in our house Tounge1.gif

Libra are the definite favourite as there are so many different types available and that they are so absorbent yet discreet.
It is trial and error really.I think all of mine had a different favourite and my shopping trolley was usually overflowing with feminine hygeine products of varing colours, shapes, sizes, wings no wings---even one to wear with a thong! oomg2.gif
As for tampons I believe they are perfectly safe as long as there is a good understanding that they must be changed very regularly. My girls usually started wearing tampons at all different stages--it was when they felt comfortable enough to experiment in inserting them.
A mirror and a jar of vaseline seemed to be the go in this house. original.gif
The really important thing to remember is just how important it is for the girls to feel that the whole class is not aware she has got her period. The pads need to be easily taken to the toilet without her being embarrassed that people can see what she is doing. Tampons and pads usually get put up their sleeves or down their socks. If you see a girl wearing a jumper on a day that is 40 deg  then you can be sure she has her period. Black bike shorts are wonderful, it makes them feel so safe.
Good luck OP.

#13 rumplebear

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:40 PM

Hi there my daughter got hers on halloween night last year... She was a week short of her 12th birthday.

Just a fornight before i went and got her a pack of Libra lights. They are in a green pack. They are fantastic... smaller than a regular pad so just right for a young girl. She finds these to be perfect for her. I have also give her some regular pads for over night... just cos they are a litter longer and she wears panty liners when her she feels her period Should be due... (they are still a bit all over the place for now though.)

I was really worried when i saw the signs that she was getting them... Wasnt sure how she would cope. Needless to say she had amazed me... taken it all in her stride.

I will reccommend a book to you all though.... its called

girls stuff by Kaz Cook[color=#6633FF]....

Its basically a user guide to being a teenager... Has so much stuff in it... periods, boys, sex, your body, relationships, drugs, and dealing with peer pressure and so much more ...

I suggest reading through it before giving it to your daughter though as she may ask questions... my daughter did.

Cant reccomend it enough... and cheapest place i found it was BIG W... around $18.00

Good luck with your daughters... hope you have a trouble free time like me.

Edited by rumplebear, 11 March 2009 - 10:42 PM.

#14 Mumma3

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Wow! Thanks girls.

I know EB is technically called Essential Baby but I guess the number of responses to this thread just goes to show that even when they hit puberty, they are all still our babies  wub.gif

I had thought we'd try and avoid tampons for a while, and just go for pads at first and it sounds like Libra is the way to start - will go looking for some funky packets in the supermarket tomorrow.

Thanks again original.gif

#15 outofmymind

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

My DD is 10!!  That's right 10  oomg.gif  and she likes Kotex pads.  Her flow is quite heavy so she uses the super, regular and overnight pads.  As well as libra panty liners as a JIC when she's due.

#16 Aprillbell

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

10... OMG dont say that I am SO not ready for that yet roll2.gif
They are getting younger! My MIL was 8!!

so much to look forward to but thankfully nothing to add at this stage wwhistle.gif

#17 looselipslou

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

My 12 year old will only uses the U pad by Kotex.  Wings, naturally.

#18 Snagglepussed

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

Well as my 7 (almost 8) year old is already wearing deodorant and is bigger than her 10 yar old cousin I am convinced she will be an early bird!

Will buy the Kaz Cooke book in readiness me thinks!

Kim

#19 rosslou

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

I have swimmers at my house and we will need to persist with tampons from the moment we start.

Any suggestions on which brand.  I use a Diva Cup and used Carefree tampons (good for me),  but not sure if these would be the best for her.

(sorry to hijack)

Also interested to know how did your swimming girls cope?  

Did they take a couple of days off school just to get used to it or were they fine.  I guess I curious as to how long it'll take her to get used to tampons.

#20 haventhadenoughat6

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

When my DD started showing signs i sent away for the trial pack from libra and it came with a little booklet as well.

She started of using libra pads and now 2 years later she wears cloth pads and we are waiting for a diva cup for her to try.

We talked about cloth pads for a while and i made some up and as she said due to things happening she would sometimes have to wash her knickers out anyway so doesnt care about the pads didnt see it as any different.

She loves her cloth pads and has even converted a few friends  tthumbs.gif

Kerry

#21 meljbau

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

Also interested to know how did your swimming girls cope?

My daughter was swimming 6 times a week when she got her period, so like your girls, tampons needed to be mastered quickly.
She started with Carefree mini slims. I think they're about the smallest you can get. She had one period using pads and then learnt to use tampons. However, she was older than most being 14 when she had her first period. Often when girls are doing lots of sport they can be older when they have their first period. At 14 I thought she was old enough to cope with using tampons. Things may have been different if she had been 10 or 11 though.

#22 Mumma3

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

Often when girls are doing lots of sport they can be older when they have their first period.

Oh, I didn't know that. DD does play a LOT of sport! She is also very tall (as tall as me, but about 25kgs lighter! LOL!) and her feet are now longer than mine, too!  oomg.gif

Am thinking things may happen in the next few months, but just  hands.gif it doesn't happen when she is away on camp.

#23 Nerileeway

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

My dd got her first period today she is 11&1/2.  She was with her dad and his girlfriend and she asked to come home straight away.  Mind you she ruined 3 pairs of (bond) undies which I threw.  We went to woolies to find more narrow pads.  I gave her a beautiful jewelry box that I had ready for this day.  We are going away just the 2 of us to celebrate asap.

#24 anon60

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

My 16yo like the Kotex "U" ones for daytime and Libra overnights, for well, overnight. DD was 11.5 when she started. Earlier than me (13.5), but later than my mum (11).

Edited by anon60, 31 March 2009 - 07:05 PM.

#25 -Nicole-

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

This is going to sound stupid from a woman I know, but when you says
When my DD started showing signs
  wot do you mean? Mood swings?

My DD is 8 (9 in June) and I would love to be aware of what is going on with her body beforehand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.