Help! How do you do nappy free time with a house full of carpet?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 blueskye

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:11 AM

Just as the title asks really...

DD has started telling me when she has done a poo or wee (clever little thing!).

She is only 17mths old so we are not really trying to TT yet, but thought we would have some nappy free time around the house - but as said, we have carpet everywhere but the kitchen and bathrooms...

If you would just let her go anyway, do you have any good ideas of what to clean the carpet with when there is an accident???

Thanks

#2 ~*Bec*~

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

Get a bucket full of warm soapy water and scrub!

#3 marniehau

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

Use cloth training pants.  They are light enough for it to be quite obvious when she has wet them but they stop the worst of it hitting the floor.  Good training pants completely protect the floor.

#4 Small Potatoes

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

I have poo stains on my carpet.

wink.gif

#5 perjiggity

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

you do what you can with cloth pants or knickers, put a folded towel down on the puddles and do the cleaning stomp (DD can help), and call the carpet cleaners in when it gets too bad.
Its a relatively short stage luckily!

If you prefer no carpet messes, maybe just set out a waterproof play area. A bit of plastic sheeting with a cloth cover would do the job, provided she wants to play on it. A queen size waterproof mattress cover could also work.

#6 purplebilby

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:21 PM

Training pants (to catch the poo)
time spent in the laundry/bathroom/kitchen (wherever your largest "wet area" is) e.g with a puzzle, crayons and paper - so doing an activity IN the wet area, where she'll be for a decent period of time.  

save your carpet
there will be unavoidable accidents enough, i wouldn't encourage more than is necessary.

but then i hate scrubbing carpet and cannot afford to get them profes. done (unless moving house).

other people who have decks, verandahs etc, talk about nappy free time out there.  but i would put trainers on her to minimsie how far the poo goes!

cheap cloth trainers at woollies for $3 - don't hold anything, the padding in them is FOAM!!!

heaps of proper cloth training pants, cost more but work much much better. haven't seen any of these IRL, only online.  e.g imse vimse, bummi, motheresase, happy heiny, bluberry, starbunz learners.

#7 katrina24

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

Hi, I'm not a fan of wee/poo on the carpet either ... it takes a bit of getting used to.  When DD1 decided to ditch nappies we got her cloth training pants and I made up a bucket of hot water with disenfectant and had rubber gloves and several cloth nappies on hand ready to go.  If she did have an accident (wee) the cloth pants would usually soak up most of the wee but when it did get to the carpet I would stomp it up with the cloth nappies and then scrub with the hot soapy water.  She never had a poo accident but we've had nappy leakage with DD2 - I used gloves to pick up the particles and then wipes to get as much as I could and then the hot water the disinfectant.  I hired a britex from woolies a few times during the 2-3  year old year with DD1 too.

#8 blueskye

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:38 AM

hahaha  thanks ladies.

I had hoped for a miricle answer though...  wwhistle.gif  Tounge1.gif

Looks like i just keep trying to stay on the wet areas as much as possible and have my bucket on hand  laughing2.gif

Thanks.

#9 Just Mel

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

Bicarb soda on wee and hot soapy water on poo. Honestly, you get used to it when you have done it a few times, unfortunately! LOL DS was a big accident boy so I have cleaned more than a couple of messes up in this house  sick.gif

#10 silne

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

I hated the thought of it too but it was the fastest method to get the girls wee trained! They both hated having wet feet and it wasn't very long at all until we were accident free! We do still have the odd accident but it's no big deal. My pet peeve at the moment is tripping over the potty after forgetting to empty it rolleyes.gif

Good luck!

#11 TigerLilly

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

Have them outside if you can!

#12 ~*Ness~*

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

My DD is 2.5 and we are almost done with day time training... she is pretty good and even just climbed up on the loo to do a poo much to my shock and amazement!

We do have the odd accident though and all carpet here too. When we 1st started TT the 1st week was awful! It felt like it would never end, but we just had to let her get wet. I tried pull ups but they were like a nappy too her, she didnt start to get it until we had accidents. I did get some cloth training pants though which were great.. and are still good for car trips or even night time once we stop the nappies. I found the best ones were the Dymples ones in Big W (and they were the cheapest too) but some great ones also from David Jones (Bright Bots) but they were expensive.. and small for the size I should have got the large ones. The training pants get really wet for her but stop it running right onto the floor so fast, so if you catch it quickly it shouldnt get too the carpet, but she will know she is wet.

I use warm water and carpet cleaner spray to clean messes... and yes its awful but it does come out. I am planning a good steam clean soon though! We only just started getting poos on the floor actually... madam has been doing a poo in her nap time nappy and quietly just taking off her pull ups then calling me when the poo has fallen out and onto the floor! Ughhh, I was half asleep yesterday morning at 5:45am and she was calling me to fix a yucky... I opened the door and it was dark, and I stepped right into a poo.  oomg.gif  ffear.gif  aannoyed.gif Not the best start to the morning! She isnt doing it too be naughty, just doesnt want it in her pants. Lots of warm water though and carpet cleaner and there is no stain or anything. (and a long hot shower for both of us!)

Edited by ~*Ness~*, 31 March 2009 - 08:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.