being induced..what to expect

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 belliebee

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

I was wondering if you have any stories about being induced?
I am set to be induced in 3 days and just wanted to know what I should expect.

#2 lisawithane

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:31 PM

I was induced & had a great experience. When I first went into hospital they broke my waters to see if that would bring on labour. It didn't, so they started the drip at about 10am'ish by about 2hrs I was 6cm dilated and I had the baby at 2:36pm. I had an epidural early on so didn't feel any pain.

Best of luck !!

#3 Bodacious Prime

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

Everyone is different. I was induced with my first due tp obstetric cholestasis, started with gel, ended up with the drip and it took just over 21 hours all up. I used a fair bit of pain relief due to baby being posterior. All up I had a good experience and a good outcome. My sister however has been induced twice due to being extremely overdue and had a 3hr and a 4hr labour.
There's really no way of knowing how your body will respond and a lot depends on the state of your cervix at the outset.
Good Luck
K

#4 Guest_Imokoe_*

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

It depends how dilated you are as to what they do to induce you. They will want to break your waters so if you aren't dilated enough they will put some gel up there and give it 12hrs to check again. The gel gave me some period type cramps but it sent the lady being induced with me straight into labour.

A second dose of gel may or may not be required. Once the gel has done its work you will have your waters broken, a big crochet hook type thing is used. It never hurt for me but some say it does. Having my waters broken sent me straight into labour.

Some hospitals will hook you straight up to the synto drip once your waters are broken, others will give you a certain amount of time to go into labour by yourself. I would ask to be allowed time to go into labour if they didn't recommend it themselves. Keep active and do lots of walking and drink lots of fluid.

good luck!

#5 AJB3

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:20 AM

Hi

I was  induced 3 weeks ago. biggrin.gif

I had gel about 8pm Thursday night.  Had mild regular contractions over night.  My waters were broken on Friday morning about 8am.  Ob suggested drip when he broke waters.  I asked to wait and he was happy with that.  Contractions got to about 5 minutes apart but didn't get any closer.  Drip put in about 1pm.  Contractions intensified fairly quickly but I was able to deal with them without pain relief.  Baby Alana was born at 4.11pm.  The last three hours were difficult but went quickly.  

The hardest part was being monitored all the time.  It wasn't too bad though, I was off the bed and pacing around a little bit near the monitors and leaning on the bed during contractions.  

Good luck with your inducement. Mine was a positive experience and I hope yours is too.

Rachel

Edited by RB27, 09 April 2009 - 05:21 AM.

#6 narelle28

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:27 AM

I had gel at 7am in the morning nothing then gel again at 4pm still nothing then at 11pm they gave me sleeping tablets and were going to start again the next day but at 11.30pm my water broke the pain was that intense I can not explain the Dr wanted an Epi so I said yes any thing to stop the constant pain it took the Dr 1hr to get it in but once in it was instant bliss I felt nothing it was great the midwife got me up on the bed and I was 10cm dilated apparently this was the cause of the intense pain I dilated really quick from 0 to 10 in 1hr then the Dr came he used the forceps to turn the baby and 4 pushes later she arrived it was all very very quick and it was my first baby

#7 Kitty_2010

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

I too also had an amazing induced birth,I was already 2cm dialated when I had my waters broken at 9am and had organised with the Dr to wait 3 hrs for labour to start but due to unrelated complications I was started on the drip straight away, I dialted slowly for the first 3hrs and then dialated 6cm in 1hr at 1:31pm I gave birth to my DD she was 10lb 4oz and I done this with absolutly NO pain relief.
The only thing that di irritate me was the constant monitoring I was doing 30min on 30min off the machines.

Just be aware that being induced does increase the chances of needing a C/S, to avoid this happening try and keep upright and avoid an epi.

Good Luck

#8 -Belinda-

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

I was induced at 39w3d due to high BP and was already dilated 2cm. Went in for monitoring at 8 am, waters broken at 9.30am, went for a big walk to help get things going, went in to delivery suite and put on the syncotocin drip at 12, contractions started about 12.30. Manageable by staying upright and rocking. Got grumpy at 3.30 - got in shower and started on gas. Gas was enough. DD born at 6.30. I don't remember pain, just that  it was hard work - I now know why its called "labour"!  ddoh.gif I had been more afraid of being exhausted than the pain - induction certainly avoided that. Everying went pretty smoothly.
All the best with your birth.

#9 mmk

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

I was induced at 41+3.  I had gel at 730 or 8am, then another lot at 2pm, then had my waters broken the next morning at 730 or 8am & DS was born at 3pm.  

It took quite some time for me to even get niggles on the first day.  I was walking around, and up & down stairs etc trying to make something happen but it took FOREVER!!!  tongue.gif   And I wasn't allowed to eat or drink more than a sip of water or a couple of savoys for dinner because they didn't know if I'd need a CS.  

They put me on the drip as soon as my waters were broken and as PP mentioned, I was one of the ones that the breaking hurt for.  I think it had more to do with the fact that the internals I had before I was 10cm absolutely killed me, so I'm not surprised that it hurt.

I was in 2nd stage for near enough to 2 hours before DS was born via forceps (10lb 2oz though).  He definitely wasn't ready to come out any time soon, so I was glad that I was induced when I was because I was paranoid that something would happen to him (I was like that through my whole pregnancy though  ssorry.gif ).  Physically he was ready, but he was quite comfortable so I have no regrets about being induced or my labour.  Having said that though I'd like to go naturally next time to "enjoy" the "excitement" & surprise of it all.

Good luck!  It will go so quickly & before you know it you'll be holding your new little baby  wub.gif

#10 rhe83

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

I was induced at 39weeks due to high Blood Pressure, i went in on wednesday night, where they put the gel in and i went to sleep. The next morning my fab Dr broke my waters at 8:30am and by 8:45am i was having contractions. I had back labour and the contractions were 40secs long and only 1 min apart from the begining, I was sucking on that gas like there was no tomorrow!!
At 1pm the Midwives suggested pethedine, which might lengthen time between contractions and take the edge off! I was 4cm when they gave it to me. Well the pethedine worked, i had 3 mins between contractions (Bliss!!) but it did nothing for the pain. An hour later, the pain stopped and i felt the need to push, I had dialated from 4cm to 10cm in an hour! I pushed out my little boy in an hour and managed not to have stiches or tearing!
I had a wonderful doctor who was there from the first push and who was very encouraging & kept me informed with everything he was doing. I went in with no birth plan and go with the flow attitude which i think helped as i had no expectations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.