Non-vaccinated kids discussion #8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#76 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

Ooooh ... what a great thread.  I have been looking for something like this!!  Neither of my two gorgeous bubs are vaccinated and both DH and I are at complete peace with our decision (the irony is that we both come from a science / med science background lol).

We personally believe that the "odds" of negative impact from vaccination is much higher than those associated with acquiring a disease naturally and letting the body fight it.  Personal choice, don't judge people whatever they choose - but DO wish more people made informed choices, not just fear / propaganda driven choices or no thought put into it whatsoever just doing it because "that's what's done / everyone else does / that's what the doctor said to do" etc etc etc.

DS is 4 months old and I read somewhere (in this thread I think) about exclusive breastfeeding 'til they are 6 months old and the positive affect this can have on their immune system.  Can anyone give me more info on this - or point me in the right direction.  I breastfed my DD for 16 months (stopped only to get pregnant with DS) but I started her on solids around 5 months.

I'm happy not to introduce solids 'til later, what do other people think?  I have also been told that in Germany they don't introduce solids 'til bub has teeth because that is the way the body shows that it's ready. Interesting idea.

Thanks to everyone else who has written info on these pages, esp about vit c etc.  We don't supplement routinely; we eat well - majority whole foods, probably not enough raw though lol and lots of oranges, kiwi fruit, grapefruit etc if we come down with a cold etc, but it is really good to have some ideas up our sleeves just incase.

Would love to hear some more thoughts on the solids thing - and anything else people have on their hearts to tell lol.

#77 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

luvmy2bubs  It's to do with leaving the gut flora pure as long as possible which will heighten immunity.  We delayed until 6 mths but DD2 didn't actually start until 8 mths (wouldn't have a bar of food before that).  Exclusive breastfeeding for at least 7 months can also make iron levels in babies higher at 12 mths than if solids are introduced earlier.  There's some great information on kellymom about delaying solids for health:  Why Delay Solids - Kellymom

#78 upup

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

That is an interesting article on late introductions to solids.  I think babies eat when they are ready I offered at 5.5months once and she spat it out tried a week later same thing, she didn't really get into solids until 7.5 months. My friends son on the other hanmd took to solids like a duck to water so I guess read your baby and integrate this with the recommended guidelines.

We have reached one year no vaccines and no illnesses yeah! But I have just had my first real life experience of the backlash of non vaccinating. My friend doesn't want my daughter near her baby as she is not vaccinated. I gently raised that her and I were not vaccinated either but she wouldn't listen. I decided it was pointless to argue and I will wait to visit until her child is vaccinated (as she think then he will be safe from my DD).

I don't use any supplements but try to give whole foods as much as possible and will treat with supplements if required.

#79 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

Thanks *KM* SO much for that link.  What a great article.  I'll definitely delay introducing solids until at least 7 months.  Funny thing is DD who I gave solids just before 5 months (I knew no different) has quite a few food allergies. hmmm....

Doingit - don't worry about your friend.  The media / doctors etc put such fear into people (control control control) that they just have a knee jerk reaction.  Don't take it personally or hold it against her.  I think you're doing the right thing just giving her some space and then visiting when her child is "all protected" wacko.gif  biggrin.gif
... Of course I also think you're doing the right thing not vaccinating lol.

#80 jaykap

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:46 PM

Right I'm now hoping I'm in the NON VACCINATED discussion section?  Someone please let me know so I don't get my head ripped off with my last discussion that was accidentially posted in Vaccinations.

#81 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

Yes jaykap you're in the right place, non-vaccinators here  biggrin.gif

#82 jaykap

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for that.  I will now begin knowing I will get a positive response.  Hell didn't expect to get the reaction I did in the vaccination section.  My thinking being in the natural therapies with vaccination as the heading would get most non vaccinated responses.  ANYWAY here we go.  My daughter is not vaccinated and I do following homeopathy for all illnesses and can only rave about how great she has responded to the right remedy.  But my question is this:-  If she isn't vaccinated can she still be a carrier?  My brother is all for vaccinations and his wife is due soon with their 4th child.  He has since discovered that my daughter is not vaccinated and began to put all fear in every direction for their newborn thinking she can pass on all sorts since she's not vaccinated.  I think and believe that us as adults and kids vaccinated are more of a risk for the baby but am very interested to get some other opinions.  I mean how do you explain it to someone that totally only follows the scientific opinion and not the natural.  Look forward to some responses. rolleyes.gif

#83 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

Jaykap - Haha! I saw your thread on the other section, I was going to write a comment supporting your decision not to vax but my bub started grizzling.  I might go back and write it anyway for all those ppl abusing you!!

Unfortunately most ppl are not being informed on the true risks of vaccinating.  A lot of ppl believe the worst thing that can happen is a rash and a temperature. huh.gif

As far as responding to your brother, try to keep emotion out of the discussion.  Say to him that ALL children and adults alike are carrying all sorts of bugs all the time - majority of them not vaccinatable (is that a word? lol).  Explain that in fact when a child receives a vaccination they receive the virus (though modified) and "get" the disease - normally in such a mild form that it's not diagnosed.  They can however be contagious.  So if he's going to hold his child back from yours then he should also hold them back from any child who has recently been vaccinated.  They pose a MUCH higher threat than your daughter.  ... Or actually ANY child at all .... or adult ... maybe put them in a bubble ... (Sorry! Don't actually say that to him - might get him off guard lol!!)

I've said it before but try not to get too annoyed at him (hard I know).  It's just a knee jerk reaction from all the fear based tactics the media / medical world use.

I'll go now and write on the other section while bubs are both asleep!!

All the best, in the end just respect his wishes.  It's not worth losing family over.

#84 jaykap

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:43 PM

thanks so much for that response.  Yeh I know a natural reaction when someone (especially family) throw something at you like that which makes you this big monster protecting your daughter.  I know the responses I did receive in the other section I now laugh at.  sh*t I know its a sensitive subject but never expected that.  I look over all the comments and have to contain myself in letting them get the better of me as I certainly could give them a run for their money but totally not worth my energy.  But in saying that can't wait to see your response to them and see all hell break out!  Yes very true in what you did say and I will certainly keep it in mind.  Once again its sooooooooooo nice to have a section with people who really do want the best for their children.  Thanks again. rolleyes.gif

#85 upup

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

Another thing to remember is that all vaccinations only offer an immune response in 50-80%of people. That means 20-50% of people who are fully vaccinated do not have an immune response to the disease.

Immune response does not mean immunity (thats another post) but it shows that the vaccines do not work even almost all of the time as sprouted by pro-vaxers.

All sick children and adults are a risk for young babies whether vaccinated or not. As you can see from my PP you often do not get the chance to explain yourself, if a ECHN says unvaccinated kids are a risk thats what parents believe.

My mum has worked in medicine all her life and now works in research and went to a nurse vaccine education seminar the other week - she could not believe the crap that they were telling the nurses. Completely unfounded unsupported claims of the effectiveness of vaccines and the levels of disease in the community. Unfortunately these seminars are where our nurse get a lot of their information.

Did you know that they is currently no requirement for nurses to do ANY ongoing professional develement after registration, yet they claim to be at the forefront of medical knowledge.

#86 jazmum

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

Hello all

I did not even know this section existed.  I posted in What do you think as I am after info on homeopathic vaccinations.  I have to fess up over there i said my kids were vaccinated as I am in no mood able to deal with the rubbish they say when you tell them your kids are not immunised.  To cut a long story short my three boys have had whooping cough and we have had a horrile month (and its not over yet).  Apart from all the gossip at school at my kids starting the epidemic at school (even though it is mostly vaccinated kids who have caught it) I am just very tired and would not handle the critisism well.  I feel safe here to "come out"

So what can you all tell me about helping stop our chidren from catching these things.  We are currently on olive leaf extract, cod liver oil, zinc and vitamin on a naturopaths advice since they got sick.  They have also had their first lot of antibiotics in their lifeand are taking a probiotic to combat that.  My boys are 9, 7, and 4.5 years and are not overly sickly children.  They had the flu earlier this year and have since that time been catching everything.  I hope all that background helps

#87 upup

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

Isn't it silly jazmum that we feel that we have to 'hide' about non-vaccinating! As you stated lots of vaccinated kids have caught the whooping cough too so its not your childrens fault. I understand that you also feel that as you don't vaccinate your kids should be super healthy!

I don't think you can do much more than the supplements that you are already giving combined with good food and lots of outdoor excercise. All kids are going to get sick, one major bugs takes time for the immune system to rebuild and work effectively.

Hope they are all feeling better soon.

#88 jazmum

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

thanks doingit.  Your encouragement is exactly what i wanted to hear.

#89 runningwifscissors

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

Ok so am hoping that I am in the right spot. I have been following this thread for a while and have a couple of questions that could be answered by those with the knowledge.

My 22mth old was vacced traditionally until reactions after his four month needles. Que panic attack and madly seeking answers that lead my to Dr Isaac Golden. He is now on the homeoprophylaxis programme and kicking goals.

But... am currently 15wks pregnant with #2 and was after some info re the Vitamin K shot. I am dead against any traditional vacc e.g. the hep B at birth, but was wondering what the down side was to not getting the Vitamin K shot. I understand it aids in clotting of blood which unborn babies apparently lack. But am after some more information that isn't coming from the GP who has been blindsided by the pharma companies.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated and will be thoroughly considered. Thanks for reading and hopefully replying.

#90 bambino3

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

Hi all

I have a question related to travel overseas with a non vac child - my youngest 16 month old hasn't had any vacs and I wondering if I should vacc him for anything for travel to Bali in a few months. I dont know if its necessary? but feel a bit concerned he might be more exposed to diseases over there? Anyone have any experience with this? Would anyone recommend homeopathically vacc against certain diseases prior to the trip?

My older boy had his 2,4,6  months and I dont believe I will be doing any more vacs for him at this stage prior to travel. I def would never go down the MMR path!

I  guess I was just worried about tetanus/whooping cough for my younger boy?

thanks a lot for any advice

#91 localyokel

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:38 AM

Homeopathy has some great remedies to help with whooping cough, esp since the cough can go on for months after the initial sickness.  
It also has remedies that can deal with lots of the bugs that can be a problem o/seas.  Myself i wouldnt go o/seas without some remedies for diarrhoea and vomiting since there are many of those in the water.  Children can get sick and dehydrated quickly so its especially important for them.  A homeopath i knew in sydney used to do an o/seas travel kit depending what country you were going to, as certain diseases are more prevalent in certain countries.  He told me that he had a man who was travelling with a group of people who all used the normal vacc's for going o/seas and his client was the only one who didnt catch anything, i think some of the others were asking to borrow his remedies after a while.  Polio is still rife in some o/seas countries so something to consider when travelling as well.  
Just something to say on the comment about nurses and no requirement to do any post registration study.  I work in both mainstream and alternative health fields.  The only difference is that i have to show what i've done to a central body for the alternative health registratin.  Nurses will be required to show this to a central body as well from this year.  It is not a problem tho as nurses do attend many courses and updates each year, in fact if you havent done any you will be at risk of losing your job, and if you havent done recent relevvant courses you will not get a job.  It is good that they are standardising it but it has been in practise for a long time now.  Who is running the courses is another matter.  I have attended a 'Reflexology for midwives' course in recent times tho, and these things will still be able to be used for some of the points needed for registration.  Just wanted to add that as i think its important to understand that the new 'requirement' that is being implemented is just making what is already happening with nursees written into their registration requirements and gives the nurses written proof.  Ali

#92 Chelli

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

Hi,
I have started a new thread for you all original.gif

Kind regards
Chelli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.