How much does it cost to have a baby in a private hospital?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 kingal

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

Good Morning Everyone;

I've just found out on the weekend that I'm 5 weeks pregnant, so the search has begun for an obstetrician and a good hospital. As I got pregnant sooner than expected our PHI will not cover us for the birth so hubby and I are thinking of paying for me to deliver in a private hospital - right now we're considering Westmead Private or Sydney South West Private Liverpool( closest hospitals to us). Would anyone know of any good obstetricians in the area - pref, female?? Also anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to deliver in a private hospital ?

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

How long is a piece of string?

It varies widely from one hospital/OB to another.  Will your PHI cover obstetric hospital admissions?  When I had DS2, the hospital was $500/night just for accommodation and I spent a total of 4 weeks in hospital (3 separate admissions for me, plus he was early, so 1 admission for him).

Your best bet is to contact the hospitals, find out who delivers there and then get their schedules of fees from them.

Rebecca

#3 sueb31

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

Another cheaper option is that some private obstetricians will deliver in a public hospital. So you have private obstetrician but the room is public. Its cheaper that way. You do still pay and the room may be nicer than the average public one sometimes. Just another thought. You are called an intermediate patient. you coudl try calling public maternity hospitals and asking if they take intermediate patients and if so what obstetricians admit to them.

Sue

Edited by sueb31, 30 April 2009 - 10:50 AM.

#4 cloudgirl

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

do you have any medical complications so far that would require you to *need* a private Ob as opposed to going public?
i have PHI and top mat. cover but we still prefer to go public with this baby purely because we dont need a private Ob (the one on standby at the hospital is good enough for me being low risk) and i prefer a midwife led care type model.
Do some research before you go forking out $$ for something you probably dont need...many people these days mistakenly belive that going private will give them a better and safer care option and this is not always the case.

#5 NYE

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:57 PM

Well no idea how much it is to delivery in a private hospital as a total cost. But when filling in the forms for when I booked in for DD. We went private with PHI. They asked for a deposit.
$300 for people with PHI
$5000 for people without. So I would assume that 5k would cover the 'normal' hospital stay. But saying that with this wouldn't cover doctors perhaps bubs in special care nursery .. these would be on top of that.
I had a c-section and had additional costs for assistant surgeon, Mr drug man, and special care nursery for DD.

#6 squeak79

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

well as a PP has said how long is a piece of string. but in my case it cost my PHI $8900 (i can see online what my PHI paid out) for me to have an emergency c-sec in a private hospital and stay there for 2 days, plus then 5 days in the private hospital that was closer to my home (i transfered from one private hospital to another - best thing i did - i hated the first hospital).

#7 Mianta

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

Are you open to other models of care at a public hospital? GP shared care or a midwife led model of care? I heard Westmead Public isn't too bad.

A problem with private hospitals is that many of them have a incredible midwife shortage and you may be under a team nursing model of care which means that people who have not been specifically trained at uni for maternal and child health will be looking after you under the delegation of one midwife, so the support you may need from a midwife postnatally may not be easily accessible.

#8 *cheekymoo*

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

As PP have said it varies

In my case it cost my PHI $ 15,000 !!!!!!!!! and they got off lightly as I had to be delivered in a public hospital as she was too premmie for the private one i was going to go to ( i got transferred mid labour!)

So be prepared for the worst case. I had a text book pregnancy and i am a healthy individual and i just spontaneously went into labour at 33 weeks. So be aware anything can happen.

#9 SeaPrincess

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:21 AM

I looked up my PHI.

For the pregnancy/delivery with DS2, they paid out around $14,000, which doesn't include a gap payment for delivery ($800) or the pregnancy management fee (some of which is claimable from Medicare)  The actual delivery itself was around $2500, OB attendance and delivery suite, no anaesthetist.

Another $7,000 for DS2 for Paed (attendance at birth, daily visits for 2 weeks) plus 2 weeks admission where we stayed in the same room as when I was admitted.

ETA - it also doesn't include any fees for regular OB appts (which again vary widely - I've had 2 OB's, one charged for every visit, one only charged for visits where he did a scan) or scans/tests done when not an inpatient.

Rebecca

Edited by bec284, 01 May 2009 - 07:30 AM.

#10 PurplePaperFrog

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

Another cheaper option is that some private obstetricians will deliver in a public hospital.

yyes.gif

I had the basic PHI cover and we upgraded to cover private hospital stay- but we fell short.

So I went to the public hospital as a private patient. My hospital stay was then covered by PHI, and the only out of pocket expenses I had was for my OB (which is standard really).

Some public hospitals have private rooms for their private patients or even private wings. You'll just need to check.

ETA: In total it cost me around $1800 out of pocket after claiming through medicare.

Edited by **pumpkin**, 01 May 2009 - 11:00 AM.

#11 Sloane Peterson

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

I'm looking at a cost of about $5k out of pocket in total for my private hospital stay  / obstetrician etc and I have top private health insurance.

I would have NO idea how much my hospy would charge per day - would estimate maybe $1200. So say you were in for 4 days, you'd be looking at a cost of another $5k for the hospital.

Keep in mind, though, if something goes wrong - say baby needs to go into the NICU, you could be up for huge bills. I asked my private hospital whether they can transfer babies in the NICU to a public hospital and apparently they *can* be refused a place at a public hospital if they've been delivered in a private hospital (assuming that there are no medical complications warranting tranfer).

To be honest, unless you are absolutely rolling in cash, your best option is to stick with one of the public hospitals. I was previously with Randwick Womens and they were excellent.

Edited by Kittenmagitten, 01 May 2009 - 02:29 PM.

#12 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:35 PM

Find out whether the private health cover will cover the baby from birth, even though it won't cover you.  Mine did (HBF).  I paid about $6000 for a caesar in a private hospital (5 years ago).  DD was 7 weeks prem, and her NICU cost over $1000 a day, fully covered.  She was there 15 days, so it would have been out of our reach had she not been covered.  We would have had to transfer to a public hospital.

As it was, after 4 days I was discharged, then readmitted as a border, and hence covered by DD's private health cover.

#13 bub4me2

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

I looked into it when the same thing happened with me just joined private and they woudlnt cover me as I hadnt waited the waiting period yet.  It would be far too expensive, especially if there were problems with the baby and NICU was needed.  The best option is keep your private OB and deliver in the public hospital...providing your private OB will do this?

#14 pceh

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:34 PM

To be honest I would suggest also that you get your own OB and have the baby in a public hospital as opposed to forking out up to 15,000 plus to have it in a private hospital. I had my first son public as I had no choice I spent the majority of my pregnancy OS and my health fund would not cover it as it was suspended due to me being out of the country at the time of conception. I am difficult and picky and thought the care and the facilities were excellent, I could not fault it. The only suggestion I could make is to have your own doctor as if there is a problem you can be seen straight away, you can page them and I believe if they are caring for you from the start mistakes are not as likely to happen. If you have numerous different doctors mistakes I feel can be made, in my case I had a major placenta previa that was missed and only picked up at 38 weeks. There is not a shortage or lack of midwife care in the private health system that I have seen I don’t think it’s better or worse just the same. I have since had two more children under an OB that charges 7,500 for pregnancy plus an additional 1000 for delivery. I only elect a private hospital because my health fund allows for it; I would not however pay for it. I think it's much more important to focus on you health care and not public v private. I hope this helps, good luck with your pregnancy.

#15 kazzil

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:08 PM

We don't have private health insurance (we are self insured) and it cost us just over $4500 for the delivery of our twins with a private OB, c/s, and a stay in a private hospital.

The biggest expense was the hospital stay as they made us pay a separate admission for twin 2. Myself and twin 1 cost about $600 per night, but twin 2 was another $500 (and the bill for her hospital stay came in her name too!!).  We only stayed in hospital 3 days though.

The hospital said they would admit our babies as public patients if they needed to go to the special care nursery as the hospital has a public patient wing.

#16 LucidDream

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

I have since had two more children under an OB that charges 7,500 for pregnancy plus an additional 1000 for delivery.

oomg.gif You must REALLY like your OB!!

#17 romy73

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

I was sitting in my OB waiting room (eavesdropping...  ph34r.gif ) and overheard the receptionist telling someone on the phone that he had his quota of no PHI patients... so they must have a limit to the number they even take... don't know that for fact, but I never thought THAT would be an issue  ohmy.gif

thought if you were prepared to pay, that you would receive care...?

#18 pceh

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

I know it sounds alot but yy OB is worth every cent I would never trust anyone else. I lost my 19 day old little girl 4 months ago and he was just so amazing I couldn't begin to tell you, he called everyday for the first couple of months he deals with the coroners office on my behalf he also see's me when I need to talk and he arranged for me to see someone that only helps mothers that have lost babies. His books are also totally closed, he does not take any new patients and I have heard his recptionist say to people on the phone that has a three year waiting list. I was lucky enough to get into him through a family friend that knows someone who knows someone etc. I think by law they can only deliver 30 to 40 babies per month. It takes a special doctor to may someone feel like they are there only patient.

#19 Freddie'sMum

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

I've had 2 babies in the private system - and just for the hospital stay - it cost $5,000 each (basically $1,000 per night).  Because we had PHI - all we paid was the excess - a couple of hundred dollars

The OB's costs were on top of that and I didn't have an anaesthetist.

I would NOT go private without PHI - unless you have close to $10,000 sitting around doing nothing.

#20 taddie

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:13 PM

Why would you get an OB and go private just because? If you don't have any risk factors you just don't need it, it's only really to comfort your fears.

I'm an older mother (38) and has a risk factor (was overweight) and GP shared care during pregnancy and a public hospital (Sutherland, can't recommend them highly enough) just did brilliantly for me. I did a lot of reading to make sure I knew what was going on because no-one else was managing my pregnancy closely, but if you're confident to do that you just don't need an OB.

Women had pregnancies and gave birth without seeing any medical people just a few hundred years ago, and our health, sanitation, education and support systems are amazing compared to then. Don't be scared into thinking you aren't capable of a pregnancy that isn't managed by an expensive doctor original.gif

#21 Mercurial

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

The statement my health fund provided me showed that they paid $5,134.60 for DS to be delivered by a private obstetrician at the Brisbane Mater Mothers Private Hospital.  That includes the hospital stay, OBs fees for delivery and anaethatist for the epi.  

I also paid $500 excess.  

Of course you also have the ongoing fees of prenatal appointments before you deliver which can add up (including the pregnancy management fee).

Edited by mumofhayden, 12 May 2009 - 03:20 PM.

#22 bonnie-cam

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

Hi Kingal
I would highly recommend Dr Tien Huynh who delivers at both Westmead Private and Public. Her Ob fees are $3,200 paid at 20 weeks, and we got around half back from Medicare. We have private health cover so I'm not sure of the additional fees??

I opted for a female Ob, and Dr Tien was suggested by a friend of my husband. I checked out a lot of blogs on the internet and could not find a negative thing to be said about Dr Tien.

This is my first baby, so i cannot comment on the labour, delivery or after care side of things, but I can say that I felt very comfortable with Dr Tien from the start. If you do choose Dr Tien, opt for early morning appointments as for my first few afternoon appointments she was 1 -3 hours late as she was delivering babies. But to be honest I did not have a problem which that, as if it were my baby I would want her to drop everything and get there ASAP as well!!

Some people have debated why I have chosen to go private and it is simply a personal choice. I was however certain on choosing a private Ob as it meant continued care by the same doctor, and I am very glad of my choice so far!

BTW, my friend has a female private Ob at Liverpool, not sure of her name though??

#23 **Mother-2-2DDs**

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:58 AM

Im in Melb..

I have PHI, but miss the waiting period by 2 months to be covered for pregnancy. So I asked the Private Hospital for a schedule of fees and it amounted to the following:

Accommodation per night:  $   751

Normal Delivery Fee OR:    $ 1470

Caesarean Delivery Fee :    $ 1890

The average length of stay is 4 nights for a normal delivery and 5 nights for a Caesarean delivery.  Extra charges will apply for a caesarean delivery.

If your baby should:

. require admission into our special care nursery, or

. is the second or subsequent baby of a *multiple birth
the following additional payment may apply:

: $ 961 per night (per baby) if admitted in our Special Care Nursery and/or
: $ 681 per night if admitted for Multiple Birth

So all up about $4500 is all out of pocket expenses. All paid upfront, then adjusted once you are back home and final balance sent out or credited.

Hence after getting the letter of fees, we decided to go public as a private patient. I have my private Ob, who is happy to deliver in the public section of the same hospital. That means we only pay the excess and outpatient fees - epi and/ Paed. Epi fees will be claimable on Medicare anyway.

It also helps coz the hospital is new so the facilities are great across the board. I just wanted my Ob because she is fabulous, and if she didnt deliver in the public, we would have footed the ridiculous bill.

I am also a low risk, so we figured its not worth it. especially considering its our 2nd and I want to be back home asap.

Hope that info helps

Best of luck with it all.

#24 tia2009

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

Congrats on your pregnancy  original.gif

My SIL is an ob/gyn who delivers at Sydney South West private hospital. She chose to have her children there too so it must be ok!

I had my son at Westmead Private and although the general facilities were excellent, I was not impressed by the nursing staff. I was told an unprecedented number of babies were born that same week so they were short staffed. I also shared a room for the first 3 nights, 2 of them after having an emergency c-section. But everyone's experience is different as my sister had her 3 kids there and loved it.

I'd also highly recommend my ob., he came in to see me every day when I was in hospital (free of charge) and really took the time to discuss things with me and my husband both before and after the birth.

As for fees, my health fund statement listed a total of $9000 (covering induction, anaesthetist, c-section, obst., paediatrician and 7 night stay) and my out of pocket was about $3000 (after rebate from medicare). My ob's prices were very reasonable ($120 for first visit, $90/visit up to 28 weeks, $60/visit thereafter and lump sum of $1250 at 32 weeks - the rest was covered by my PHI).

Think carefully about why you want to go private. As a PP suggested, you could have a private ob. and stay in a public hospital. My friend tried both Sydney South West and Westmead Public, she preferred the latter in terms of care and facilities, and of course, it was all free.

BTW PM me if you'd like contact details of the two obs. They both deliver at local public hospitals too.

#25 Luckyinlove

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (tia2009 @ 18/06/2009, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats on your pregnancy original.gif

My SIL is an ob/gyn who delivers at Sydney South West private hospital. She chose to have her children there too so it must be ok!

I had my son at Westmead Private and although the general facilities were excellent, I was not impressed by the nursing staff. I was told an unprecedented number of babies were born that same week so they were short staffed. I also shared a room for the first 3 nights, 2 of them after having an emergency c-section. But everyone's experience is different as my sister had her 3 kids there and loved it.

I'd also highly recommend my ob., he came in to see me every day when I was in hospital (free of charge) and really took the time to discuss things with me and my husband both before and after the birth.

As for fees, my health fund statement listed a total of $9000 (covering induction, anaesthetist, c-section, obst., paediatrician and 7 night stay) and my out of pocket was about $3000 (after rebate from medicare). My ob's prices were very reasonable ($120 for first visit, $90/visit up to 28 weeks, $60/visit thereafter and lump sum of $1250 at 32 weeks - the rest was covered by my PHI).

Think carefully about why you want to go private. As a PP suggested, you could have a private ob. and stay in a public hospital. My friend tried both Sydney South West and Westmead Public, she preferred the latter in terms of care and facilities, and of course, it was all free.

BTW PM me if you'd like contact details of the two obs. They both deliver at local public hospitals too.

Hi Tia,

Im 3 months along & have just found out that pHI will not be covering my stay etc at Westmead Private, we had booked in with OB Andrew Pesce, but is looking like total will be about $9k if we go private.. I saw your old post from earlier this year reg OB's who do at public - in Westmead, would you be able to send me details please? My email is ozturkl@stgeorge.com.au

Thanks original.gif

Lauren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.