How much does it cost to have a baby in a private hospital?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Winters80

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

Currently at 19 weeks and have just committed to using a private hospital despite having no private health insurance. I had considered using the public hospital at Redlands but was shocked when I went to the initial consult and saw food scraps accompanied by an off putting smell. I could not help but wonder if vermin were present due to the state of the place, so close to the birthing and post birth suites. We informed the public hospital of this concern after much effort to find the right person.

We then went across to Redlands Mater Private QLD and I immediately felt comforted and welcomed by the staff and it was clean. The costs involved were the main reason for hesitation, as the OBS/GN consultation & pregnancy mgt fee is $2,200 with a medicare rebate of $490, then the delivery fee (including complications) is $3,470 with a medicare rebate of $1,659. Also it should be mentioned that the initial consultation is $200, provided you have your own scans, if not it is $295 with a medicare rebate of $102. Each addition appt is $90 with a $73 medicare rebate.

The Hospital fee for a three night stay with individual birthing suite and post birthing suite was approx $3,750 with no medicare coverage. Your partner can stay with you if he chooses as there is a sofa bed, which I thought was a nice touch. If you need additional nights, I think from memory it is about $850 per/night and if you only stay 2 nights for example then you get back the cost of that third night, that was not used.

Lastly the anesthetist fees, was split a few different ways. I intend to have a normal vaginal birth (no C-Sect) so the cost for the epidural would be $895, however if you opted for a C-Sect this was $1,250 and an emergency C-sect was $1,800 give or take a little, with no medicare coverage.

I hope that this assists anyone considering private, who like me, does not have private insurance and wants to know the general cost(s) involved.

I have not included the in-hospital paediatrician fees which are listed at worst at $180 with a medicare rebate of $123. At best it can cost $100 with a $64 rebate.

So wrapping it up: Costs involved with medicare rebate

OBS/GN
Initial Consult: $295 (includes scan) rebate: $102
Consult/Preg Mgt Fee: $2,200          rebate: $490
Follow up Consult: $90                    rebate: $73
Delivery Fee: $3,470                       rebate: $$1,695

Anesthetist
Fees:  $895 (epidural)
         $1,250 (C-section)
         $1,800 (emergency C-section)

Hospital Fees
Vaginal delivery
Labour Ward Fee:               $1,285
3 nights @ $812 per/night: $2,436
Partners Meals (optional):    $10.45
---OR---
Hospital Fees
C-Section
Labour Ward Fee:                $2,023
4 nights @ $817 per/night:  $3,268
Partners Meals (optional):     $10.45

(Using epidural and vaginal birth)
Looking at a total Upfront Payment: $10,682
Looking at a total medicare rebate:   $2,360
Out of pocket (non-insured):            $8,322

Paediatrician Fees
In Hospital (within 2 weeks of birth)  $180   rebate: $123
6 week baby check                          $120   rebate: $64

Edited by Winters80, 28 January 2015 - 04:28 PM.

#27 Beeeeeez

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

There a many Obs in Westmead area who will deliver in public hospital. One thing is to go to Westmead private hospital website and get the phone numbers of Obs who are working in private and ring and ask if they deliver in public (I suspect many will do, mine does). I see you are after female Obs, I had male and he was wonderful and if you want his name you can send me a pm.
Fees wise private Obs can cost anywhere from as low as $3000 and up for management + delivery fees. From my recollection my Obs fees were around $5000 and I think you can get ony $500 of that back from medicacre. In terms of hospital stay, which is paid separetely it can be pretty much anything as each private hospital sets their fees. I know Westmead public will charge private patients around $600 a night, Westmead private is about double. If the bub requires special care she/he will be transfered to Westmead public with no probs, however you might be charged for its transfer. I think there is a way to avoid charges if you register bub with medicare early though. Not sure you will have to call medicare and ask about this.

So I pretty much back up everyone else that your best option is to go public as a private patient. I think that way you still have your private Obs but not expense of having the bub in private hospital.

#28 Future-self

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:22 PM

Winters80 before you commit to that option, I would also find out specifically what will happen if your baby needs SCN or nicu. The care in there is very, very expensive if baby is a private patient with no phi and could financially cripple you. Find out specifics of whether the public hospital has an nicu and whether baby could be transferred there etc

#29 Hands Up

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

I don't remember down to exact figures but my costs were:

Hospital stay $8500 (I only paid $500 excess)
OB $2500 mgmt fee + $80 per appointment so about $3600 (I paid the entire amount less $600 medicare)
Epidural $950 (I paid $280 after medicare and PHI)

A lot of private OB's also insist on you seeing a paed while still in hospital. That would be another $250 or so without PHI.

I imagine a c-section would also incur additional fees (I didn't have one so can't confirm).

If I didn't have PHI there was no way I would have gone private based on those costs.

Sorry, yes. Special Care at my hospital was $2500 per night..... if you didn't have PHI.

#30 Winters80

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Thank you Futureself. Currently I am low risk and am travelling as a normal healthy woman and baby should be... Mind you I am only 19 weeks and going for a fetal morphology scan next week. Finally, I find out if it's blue or pink! :)

The Redlands Mater Private has both NICU and SCN and I believe that I am also able to transfer over to the public system. I understand that if I go through the private system that this can be costly and worst case scenario, I would transfer to Logan Hospital, which I have heard has a good NICU and SCN for a public hospital.

It hurts to take funds away from the home loan savings fund, but after seeing the state of Redlands Public, I was genuinely shocked. Maybe I went in on a bad day, I don't know, but the first impression was a genuine shock. I also ventured to Logan public to see if this would be better and was told I could be released as little as 6 hours after having the baby. Was a little surprised. These hospitals (Redlands and Logan public) are the only two that I am in the catchment area for, so choice is somewhat limited as to what public hospital I can go to.

I am yet to have my initial appt at Redlands mater Private, but I will certainly ask them about this and what the general process is. I got all my info from asking the receptionist (who was lovely and patient) about these sorts of issues along with costs.

Originally when I was looking into private hospital costs, I had no luck finding info on costs for someone considering private who was uninsured, so I thought I'd put up what I had, to help others who may search for the same... :)

Edited by Winters80, 28 January 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#31 Jingleflea

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

Public hospitals don't boot you out the door at the 6 hour mark. You can choose to stay longer if you need, or if you don't feel comfortable leaving that soon.

#32 Winters80

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

Thank you Jenferal, I have corrected this in my post, as when I re-read it, it was incorrect, hence giving the wrong impression. I was told that I am free to leave up to 6 hours after the birth, (it is somewhat encouraged but not enforced) by a staff member from this hospital.

My apologies for my baby brain and my poorly thought out writing. I have now re-read everything that I have written to ensure that it does not mislead or offend. Cheers

Edited by Winters80, 28 January 2015 - 04:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.