Mighty Miser Measures

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 smtm

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

Tight times call for even tighter measures! So how tight can you get?

Ok fess up who has been accused of being a mighty miser? Given we are suppose to be in the mother of all recessions, lets share our mighty miser tips and tricks? Please add your own personal peccadillos, and they don’t necessarily need to be ones you personally support, could be something you have heard along your travels.

Here’s some miser measures I have heard over the year – not all too be taken too seriously – this is more about having a healthy giggle in the face of adversity.

Raiding the napkin dispenser provided at fast food outlets like McDonald’s, to use as toilet paper or wipes. While your there don’t be shy take a handful of straws these are great for hosting birthday parties or for the kids craft kit.

Buy two-ply toilet paper and split it in two, viola two rolls for the price of one!

Take the sugar sachets from cafes that will help save on a cuppa at home.

Attend the product taste testing at super markets, I have found this generally takes place over Thursday and Friday and if you’re lucky there’s lunch for the kids taken care of.

When visiting Ikea, stop by their wrap section, you can pick up empty boxes and rip sheets of brown paper off their ready wrap – the paper is excellent for the kid’s craft. While your there, for a couple of dollars you can even get a somewhat decent meal. You can’t even buy a pack of bacon for less than the cost of breaky at Ikea.

If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown flush it down – that’s good news for the environment.

If you work you can save on milk, take your cereal to work and use their milk.

Use the Supermarket petrol vouchers and look out for the spare ones left behind in the shopping trolleys. When you fill up be sure to end the value of petrol with 4 cents - that’s 4 cents of extra fuel free. Do this once a week and you will save $2.08.

Re-wash plastic lunch bags

Charge your mobile phone / and or ipod at work

Don’t text - twitter instead ww.twitter.com – you and hook it up to your phone to receive updates, but don’t use your phone to reply it defeats the purpose.
Take advantage of the video stores who offer to “rent it the first time or rent it free”.  If the movie is not available, then you are entitled to it for free the next time the title becomes available. To ensure this cunning plan works, visit the store later in the evening around 9ish when most of the popular and decent titles will be out, you will improve your chances of the movie being unavailable.

If you work - make all mobile phone calls from work – at no cost to you.

Snap the stalk off broccoli before you get to the check out – you don’t ordinarily eat this part anyway so why pay for it? This works well with other vegetables where there is wastage and you have to pay by the kilo.

Sonia Williams a mother of two, qualified accountant, author and founder of the site Show Mummy the Money , for mums who want to learn how they can make money. This information is correct at time of writing. It is general advice only and has not been tailored to your personal circumstances. Please seek personal financial advice prior to acting on this information.

#2 littlecuties

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

A lot of your ideas include theft so I wouldn't go that far.

Also, who would seriously unroll a whole roll of toilet paper and re roll it into 2? you can buy 1000 sheet single ply toilet paper cheaper than 2 double thickness rolls anyway.

#3 FeralZombieMum

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

I agree with littlecuties.

Even though you said not to take it seriously, I can't understand why you would have posted these "tips" on EB.

If you work - make all mobile phone calls from work – at no cost to you.
  nno.gif  I definitely wouldn't recommend this, especially since unemployment rates are expected to rise. Why put your job at risk? I used to have to go through the itemised phone bills and look for unsual phone calls and report them to my boss. (These days you can get them in electronic format so it's much easier to do a search) Personal phone calls definitely stand out. A few small calls each month was overlooked, but numerous calls to mobiles and non local calls stood out. An even better (and honest) way to save money is to use something like Voip or Skype.

Businesses do notice when milk consumption starts to increase in the office. You then are at risk of them not supplying this service anymore. I know I and other employees weren't very happy to find no milk for our morning coffee. We all knew who was going through the milk for their 'protein' drink and stopped being so helpful to them at work.  dev (6).gif

Taking extra straws, napkins and sugar actually drive the costs up for business and we, the customer, end up paying for it. Also, as times are tough, surely we should be more considerate to business owners who would be struggling at the moment.  shrug.gif

#4 -StandingTall-

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

zombie mum and littlecuties

i think you both missed the point of this blog.

[quote]Here’s some miser measures I have heard over the year – not all too be taken too seriously – this is more about having a healthy giggle in the face of adversity[quote]

have a laugh about it.... dont take it so seriously

Edited by lisatut, 02 June 2009 - 03:16 PM.

#5 littlecuties

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:35 PM

have a laugh about it.... dont take it so seriously

I really see nothing funny about the OP's post and by the looks of it, no one else does either.  wacko.gif

Edited by littlecuties, 02 June 2009 - 11:36 PM.

#6 courtney-b

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

I agree, these tips are not funny and mostly amount to theft.
I don't mind tips that help an individual save, particularly if they are the ones going without, but I absolutely HATE people who abuse complimentary services for their own advantage. If everyone did this, they would not provide the services free anymore.
Doing things like draining work resources to save a few cents at home is not a solution. The budget for these things come from somewhere. And I think it is incredibly dishonest.

Rather than providing a tip like 'break off the stalk of the broccoli, dump it in the store and leave it behind', I think it is more sensible to suggest to people to think of things they can cook with items they would usually discard. Broccoli stems can easily be diced and added to stews etc. Freeze rotting bananas to use later in cakes.

I really think that this blog misses the point a lot of the time. There is a massive difference between being spend thrift and learning to make sound economic choices, and being dishonest. This is not an example that I would want to set for my children.

#7 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

Another one here who doesn't think it funny or appropriate for an EB blog to be recommending theft as money saving tips.
Denise

#8 unchanged

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

I thought it was funny - I can laugh because I have plenty of very wealthy clients who would do exactly that and they do!  They always take sugar, when they come into my office, will slide the plate of biscuits into their bag when you leave the room.  They will steal toilet paper directly from the toilet and bring in a container to drain the liquid soap too.  They will pinch paper, pens you name it they will take it!  tongue.gif

I am sure that's how some of my clients got to be so wealthy in the first place

Edited by chaosandmayhem, 15 June 2009 - 02:19 PM.

#9 orangefudge

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

original.gif i think its funny.. thanks for putting a smile on my face today smtm... dont have any other tips but sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.