FDC Chat #5

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#26 LivingRoom

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:52 PM

Kodi, that is the same as my scheme.

4 under 5 and 3 over, my own school age children don't count in those 3 over 5.

The gov't is looking to change that, I hope that they don't.

Kristine

(formally MeAndMine)

#27 hopefulmummy

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:21 PM

Hi Ladies

I am thinking about leaving my current job and setting up family day care. I have received some information and it looks doable. But I wanted to ask you guys if any of you run family day care from a small house?

We have a large block but our house is tiny. It is 3 bedrooms but no dining room and the rooms are pretty small. DD has one room, we have another and currently our third room is craft/ guest room.

I was thinking I could maybe a corner of the lounge room with books, toys and a little table and chairs and then adjust the craft/ spare room to be a sleeping space. Do you think that would work ok? Outside we would have heaps of room.

Any advise for someone starting from scratch?

#28 Oblivious

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

Any advise for someone starting from scratch?

Call a scheme in your area. They can come out and have a look at your place, you can discuss what you are thinking and they may have ideas to help you start on how things could be set up in your space. FWIW I use our lounge and then a converted single garage for FDC...so not a huge space.

What sort of outdoor areas do you have? Are any undercover? This could be used as more playspace even in wet weather if you can keep the kids under cover when its wet. Also the children can only be outside during certain parts of the day (between 10-4 we have to be out of the sun) so another thing to think about when planning your areas.

Definately start with calling a scheme and talking to them. They can tell you if its feasible and what exactly you would have to do to run a FDC from your home. Then if its not an option you haven't wasted too much time or resources setting up somthing you can't use.

BTW What area are you in? Someone might be able to recommend a scheme they are really happy with in your area to get you started original.gif

#29 hopefulmummy

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the advise, I have contacted a scheme and I have just emailed her an extra set of questions lol!

We have a really large outside area (700m + block) with an verandah the length of the house and we also just put in a large double garage (though that has all DH's tools etc in it and is probably not safe for children)

I am in WA, near Midland

#30 Oblivious

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

Sounds like you will have lots of outdoor space! I would suggest the messy activities be set up out there (playdough/paint etc) but there is no reason that you couldn't have most toys outside and just use indoors for rest and quiet play. You just need to find what suits you and your house.

We use our garage but we don't have tools etc. We actually converted it to another play space. This is where the FDC kids sleep, eat, have messy play etc. In fact almost everything is out there in the one area and then in our lounge we just have the train table, book and puzzle area, blocks and Lego and a few small shelves with miscellanous toys and games for when there are some awake while others are asleep.

Outside we have the cubby, balls, sandpit, water table, hula hoops, big trucks, bikes and ride-ons. But out outdoor area is not very big and is uncovered so limilts our use of outdoors. That is the one thing I would change first if we owned our place.

Have fun setting up. Experiment with how you like things and you can always change things to suit you as you go and see what works! original.gif

#31 wynter*

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hi ladies, I thought I would introduce myself. I am currently going through the licensing process and anticipate being licensed by the end of this month. I just have to finish some barriers on the windows this weekend and send photos to the Department (WA) next week.

I currently work full time, as does DP, so we have had to do all of our improvements on weekends (we live in a rural area so have had to build fences, lay lawn etc).

Although I want to do Family Day Care full time and be home with my daughter who is 22 months, I am not sure whether I can make it work financially. I am also unsure as yet if my Family Day Care will work as I live 10 minutes out of a large country town - I know driving 10 minutes for Day care is nothing in the city, but I'm unsure if country parents who aren't used to travelling will drive ten minutes out, ten minutes back, twice a day etc.

Although I currently work full time, there is a job I know of that is advertised currently and is half time for a six month contract. I am considering applying and seeing if I can make a part time FDC business work for six months, then grow it from there.

Lots to think about and decide over the next few weeks.

I have a few questions that I am hoping the lovely ladies here can assist with. They may sound simple  original.gif The first is - what do you use to clean your house and disinfect your toys etc? I currently spend enough on cleaning products and don't really want to spend a fortune. Are there any products that you find helpful.

Thanks.

#32 Oblivious

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:56 AM

Hi Wynter! Sounds like a good plan to try half time FDC first and see what sort of a reaction or what interest you get in your FDC. original.gif

I clean as little as possible! However my FDC kids have other ideas so what I use:

1. Vacuum - all floors

2. Hot water and a few drops of eucalyptus oil - mop floors

3. Spray bottle with water, a few capfuls of disinfectant and a few drops of eucalyptus oil - wipe down surfaces, wipe down change mat between changes, surface clean toys that are not washable, clean outside of toilets and pottys

4. Toilet cleaner - toilet bowl

5. Dishwashing Liquid - hard washable toys. Just wash, rinse and air dry

7. Washing Liquid - soft machine washable toys inside a pillow case and into the machine.

Thats it! I try to keep things as simple as possible. I hate having a million cleaning solutions cluttering my cupboards! original.gif

Edited by wheredoesthetimego, 10 November 2009 - 09:01 AM.

#33 milknmilo

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:36 PM

Hi, I am a FDC carer in NSW. I've read many posts but only just decided to try to join in...

Looking for some tips and advice. I've been a carer for about 6 months now, but not really sure if I'm any good at it.
I have good days laugh.gif and blah days nno2.gif , and it depends on the kids I have that day.
I do find it hard to keep them entertained, i have palnned activities, which go well, but during free time the kids tend to just follow me around ( like when i do a quick tidy up, or change my own childs clothes / nappy) even though their is an abundance of other things they could be doing.

I don't rely on the TV, I only put that on when I put my own child to bed, which is in the next room, and its mainly to keep the kids entertained for 10 minutes and allow quiet time for my lil one to fall asleep, and then I'm back out with them. Other then that at sleep time I put a movie on quietly while they fall asleep, and this is ok'ed by all parents. TV also used in wet weather, as outside play isn't possible.

When I visited other carers during my training days, the children entertained themselves, i spent 2 hours with 2 different carers, neither one seemd to have a structured activity while i was present, and the kids didn't seem to be harrassing the carer constantly, just happily playing. Although I don't mind having them follow me, it does get hard as I have one child under 1, so they do need a bit more hands on, which is to keep them from climbing on equipment, or eating grass and dirt when outside laughing2.gif

I do feel like I can be a bit short (but not angry or ever yelling) with the kids after a long day, does anyone else ever feel like this.

#34 Oblivious

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:26 AM

Hi milknmilo waves.gif

I definately have good and bad days still after almost two years. Thats just life! None of us can have everyday as a good one I think! Even if you love the kids and enjoy what you do it is still a job and it can be hard to entertain kids that don't "do" free play.

If the carers you visited are anything like me they probably didn't plan any organised activities on purpose when you visited. I always leave out some suggested activities for my kids when we know someone is going to visit but I would never plan anything structured to do as I am also trying to talk or show people around and my kids need supervision if we are doing anything more than free play.

How old are your FDC kids? Mine are all about 2, with one 8mo baby and my 3.5yo son. It will make a difference to how your freeplay will work. When I have younger ones they need more help to play but as they are getting older I find they are wanting their own space to make up their own games.

One thing I would suggest during free play is to set out a few games/activities/toys to encourage them on what they could be doing. I find sometimes that there are so many choices here that if I don't start them off with a few ideas and join in until they are settled, it all gets too much and they don't know how to start! Now I set up a few stations - puzzles or drawing at the table, blocks on the mat, books in the corner, set up the train tables, blocks in the main area, baby toys on the baby mat..... a combination of any of these activities to get them started (usually 2-3 choices). They start with these most days then move onto something else they want after.

Most of our day is free and unstructured play. I believe it is really important for children to have play time together without adults always taking part. Not saying I don't supervise but alot of my day I can just supervise from a distance (the older ones) and help when I need to. I would usually organise two shortish activities each day for the kids. One in the morning and one in the afternoon and the rest of the time I will put out toys or equipment and let them at it. Its great for their imaginations to use the equipment in whatever way they decide upon!  Of course if they do get bored we can always pull out more craft or play dough etc and all play together again.

I would suggest starting small to get them into freeplay. Sit down with blocks/playdough etc with them and play for a bit. Then tell them you are going to tidy/wash your hands/get food ready and they can play for ten minutes until you come back. Slowly build up the time they are on their own and change the activities around.

Hope that helps, I have kids arriving so best go set up a few activities myself!!

Cheers

#35 gottocatchawabbit

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Hi ladies

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi original.gif.

I'm in the process of becoming a registered FDC carer and due to start taking children from the beginning of next year.  

I've got just about everything in place but having a bit of trouble finding suitable stretchers or matresses that are reasonably priced.  I'd prefer something that stores easily and doesn't take up much room.  I did like the look of the Peg Bed Matresses from Educational Experience (although they're $$ but at least they're waterproof and easy to store) but they're out of stock.

What have you all used?

Thanks

Jodi

#36 Oblivious

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:51 AM

Hi Jodi

I bought the stackable stretcher beds for my FDC kids. They were $39 each plus postage. I am not sure what that ended up being. They aren't the exact ones but very similar.

The same place also had the Hanging Sleep Mats from $33 each depending what thickness you wanted. Then the rack to hang them on the wall with was $49. Again not sure on postage.

The company isn't online but you can call them and ask about their products/request a brochure. The number is (02) 6350 7006. Company is called Grocare and they were very quick to deliver to me in Brisbane and easy to assemble myself once they arrived.

Hope that helps original.gif

#37 gottocatchawabbit

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (wheredoesthetimego @ 24/11/2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Jodi

I bought the stackable stretcher beds for my FDC kids. They were $39 each plus postage. I am not sure what that ended up being. They aren't the exact ones but very similar.

The same place also had the Hanging Sleep Mats from $33 each depending what thickness you wanted. Then the rack to hang them on the wall with was $49. Again not sure on postage.

The company isn't online but you can call them and ask about their products/request a brochure. The number is (02) 6350 7006. Company is called Grocare and they were very quick to deliver to me in Brisbane and easy to assemble myself once they arrived.

Hope that helps original.gif

You are a treasure!  Thankyou so much for that info - either of them are exactly wht I'm after.  Off to call them now original.gif

#38 Maebeonemore

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:28 AM

Hi All,
l am considering starting FDC my youngest is 5 and last year l would spend her whole kinder sessions helping out l just enjoyed it that much. We live in a small rural community and the childcare centre is only open 2 days a week. There is a FDC provider in town but her waiting list is huge and the next closest is 37Km's away.

Anyhow l rent and am worried about the required safety checks on the house as l would not be able to change too many things, if anyone can give me an idea of what is require so l would know if it's doable or not.

by the way l am Julie thanks in advance.

#39 Oblivious

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

Hi Julie

You can definately do FDC while renting. I guess though its the same as if you owned - the place needs to be suitable. A few things off the top of my head that we needed to do:

* all stairs need to be gated. The top of our stairs aren't anymore but no FDC children go upstairs ever so that is fine. The bottom is gated to keep them downstairs though. We use gates that don't need to be bolted into the walls that I found at Target.

* windows under a certain height need to be safty-filmed or barriered off. We started with a blackboard over our one window that was too low. we secured it with heavy duty double sided tape. It lasted well there for two years but has just come down. Rather than put it back we just safety-filmed the window ourselves with stuff from Bunnings. Hasn't altered the propertys appearance so the owner had no issues with this.

* outdoors need to be fenced to keep children secured inside. We used star-pickets, zip ties and plastic trellis and made our own fence and obviously they are always supervised outdoors so risk management is applied. We did the same to keep the gardens fenced off as there are some spiky plants in there.

* flooring if required. We converted the garage to another play space and used foam mats on the floor to stop injuries on the concrete. Mats were from Clark Rubber and really add alot of colour to the room and by far the best decision we made regarding space as its our favourite play area!

These were the only 'alterations' we needed to make to the property. The rest of the changes we made were purely for the best use/best look to the FDC areas. Without seeing your place its hard to know what you may need to change but the easiest way to get started would be to call the local FDC scheme and have them come out and do an initial assessment of the property. they will be able to tell you exactly what needs to be done to make it safe for you to run FDC and they may have some great suggestions on how you can do them.

When you know what you need to do to make it suitable for FDC jump back on and let us know and someone might have other ideas on the best/cheapest way to achieve what you need without altering the property!

Goodluck biggrin.gif

#40 Maebeonemore

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for your reply, l spoke to the scheme organiser yesterday for our area and she advised me no one in my area offers FDC (40km radius from home) there is one lady who is unregistered and has almost 10 children and of course the CCC which is open 2 days a week.

l had her fax me all the info including the safety check she advised once l have ticked everything off then she will pop out and check it. One thing l found odd was l am not allowed to use port a cots, l was planning on offering them to babies as l could just pack them up after use, l really don't have anywhere l could put a cot or two without it being in the way. Also the CCC is run from the local kinder they share the room CC on Mon and Wed, Kinder 3 y/o on Fri and 4 y/o on Tues and Thurs anyway they use port a cots so they can be packed up for the kinder kids as does the local unreg carer ???  Julie

#41 Oblivious

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

I know there are some that don't like port-a-cots but I use them myself personally until at least 12months old for the FDC kids. I would usually leave them up though so its not a space issue for me.

After 12months I put all children onto stackable stretcher beds . I find they are really good as I can pack them away easily after nap time unlike the port-a-cots that are too much trouble! And even if they roll off them they are about 5cm from the padded ground anyway so they aren't hurt.

I don't know about any regulations against them in QLD though shrug.gif

#42 Maebeonemore

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for the reply and the link, the stretchers look great and are very affordable. Our scheme requires the children to have access to 95% of the house (second bathroom and laundry are excluded) so as the kids would be using all the rooms anyway l was going to use the portacots in my daughters rooms (7 y/o) so l could pack them away on weekends when she had her friends stay or sleep over. l just don't think she would be too pleased with a cot in there all the time plus these tend to be bigger than portacots. dry.gif

#43 LivingRoom

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

Hi ladies!!!

It's MineandMe (new username)...

After 2 yrs and the last 8mths in our new house I am FINALLY registered and done!!! I am so happy, it's been a long time coming!

Now all I need to do is find some clients. How did you get yours? I am registered with a scheme, but they are based around 30kms away so most of their work is local to them, not me... I have registered with Find a Babysitter, Echildcare, care for kids, yellow pages, google maps, I have "notices" up at the two local shops, hopefully an add running in the local paper (i've filled the form in online, but haven't had any correspondence back).... I really hope I can start work soon... so excited.

#44 gottocatchawabbit

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:23 AM

Hi Kristine (I imagine that's your name  biggrin.gif )

I actually offically start today with my first group of children.  

I did some postcards up with Vistaprint and did a letterbox drop around the community and also took a stack of them into the post office and got them to put them in the post office boxes.  The postcards were free with Vistaprint, I just paid postage - they always have free offers going, I just waited till the postcards came up.  

I did think of doing some up myself on the computer but the postcards were nice and glossy and looked so much more professional, plus where we live it rains a lot and paper would have got all soggy and horrible in people's letter boxes.  Having them put in the post office boxes only cost me $29 for 200.

We live in a rural area with only one other carer with FDC and a pre-school, so daycare is fairly scarce.

I've had a huge response from the postcards but sadly most of them were for under 2's and my under 2 spots were filled before I was even registered!  I've also been fortunate enough that another carer is actually finishing up in the next few weeks and most of her families have been placed with me.

Do you have a local school?  You could also ask to put a notice in their newsletter.  They're usually happy to do this for a small donation.  

I've been told that once you get the word out there your best form of advertising is word of mouth from the families you already have in care.  If you provide a great service you won't really need to look too hard for children to fill the spots.

I also do before and after school care.

Good luck - I bet you let out a big sigh of relief once you had that registration certificate in your hot little hand.....I know I did - I even had a wine or 2 that night biggrin.gif

#45 ChunkyChook

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

Hi Girls,

Just thought I would bump this up and see if anyone was still posting.

I have decided to start doing FDC again if I am aproved to build. I have chosen a block and a design(FDC friendly).

It will be a block from a primary school so I will look at doing before and after school care also.

How is everyone else going? Especially the newbies, probably too busy to post!

ETA: What is everyone chatrging these days?

Edited by kodi1982, 22 March 2010 - 08:43 PM.

#46 hopefulmummy

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

I have my licensing visit tomorrow!  huh.gif

And it has just started pouring down here so our backyard is flooded and there are leaves and branches everywhere as well as wet washing and the shade sail down!

#47 gottocatchawabbit

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

Good luck with it all.  I was so nervous for my final inspection I made myself sick LOL.  There was nothing at all to be worried about I passed through it with flying colours but it had taken me so long to get everything sorted (was still working at my old job and trying to set everything up on the quite because they didn't and still don't know I was doing it, I'm on LWOP), I'd worked so hard I just wanted everything to be perfect.

Let us know how you go original.gif

QUOTE (hopefulmummy @ 22/03/2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have my licensing visit tomorrow!  huh.gif

And it has just started pouring down here so our backyard is flooded and there are leaves and branches everywhere as well as wet washing and the shade sail down!

#48 mygorgeousboy

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

Hi girls,
i have been MIA for a while. FDC is going well have been doing it for 10mths now.

My scheme had a DOCS visit last week. She visited 2 carers with no notice. I just have a question for you ladies and hoping you can help me. One of the carers was told she has to have a stove cover of some sort to cover the knobs that are on the front of her stove.
I have never seen anything like this. I have the knobs on the front of my stove and unfortunatley my kitchen is a walk through and cannot be gated off.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.....

original.gif

#49 gottocatchawabbit

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

Hi you can do a few different things.  I used to have covers that went on the knobs like these but my DH has big hands and he struggled with opening them and I got sick of him complaining about them so I took them off and took the knobs off all together each morning and put them back on in the afternoon once all the children went home.  Then I got sick of that LOL and plus I was worried that taking them on and off all the time would wear them out and they'd eventually break or something.

I was at Ikea about a month after I started FDC (yep spent all my hard earned cash) and found this fantastic stove guard so now we use that.  It attaches to the bench if you want it to with little hinges so it moves up and down but I've just fastened it with some of the 3M velcro things because we don't want to screw into our caesar stone bench tops.

Hope that helps.

#50 cutiepie

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

biggrin.gif  I was talking to hubby this morning and he suggested i look into the family day care..I am in NSW and have found a site familydaycare.com.au...It the Northern Illawarra Family Day Care Scheme...Just wondering if anyone is going through them and what they think eg are they helpful. or had any problems with them...

If i can get the go ahead i wont start till next year as this year we are away for 6 weeks.

CAn anyone tell me about their setup of their home for day care...
I have 2 storey home but downstairs is 3 bedroom, rumpus, and bathroom, which i though i would set up in there....Also we are thinking of puttina pergola coming out of the rumpus where kids can do painting etc.

Can anyone also tell me how many kids they have, and if u do monday to friday and what are your fees?

Thank you guys  biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.