The sales are on! Get the best bang for your buck

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 smtm

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:34 PM

The sales are now on! I’ve just come back from a weekend of pure non-stop shopping and I can certainly vouch there are some brilliant bargains to be had. However you have to be smart, other wise you can soon find your in a heap of unnecessary debt, and what seemed like a bargain in the heat of the moment has turned into a complete waste of money. To ensure you have a legitimate bargain I have found there are a few rules to follow, here is my list of do’s and don’ts.

Go with a clear understanding of what you really need.  This is the most important rule of all, ‘ask yourself do you really need the item?’ If you um and ah, chances are where there is doubt you can go with out.

If it is an item of clothing, question will it last this season and the next. You want to get maximum use. Not a one off fashion statement.

If you’re shopping for children’s clothing, by a season ahead and save.

Do you struggle to find a good pair of fitting jeans? I do, if I spot a pair in the sales heavily discounted – I tend to buy two, this way I have no regrets when six months on and I want another pair but can’t locate another of the same style. I consider this a two for the price of one deal.

Don’t fall for the sales trick, ‘receive 50% off a second item’. Chances are you will find something in the store just to get the extra 50% off. It can be very easy to justify an unnecessary additional purchase when you’re getting 50% off. This is only a sales technique to get the customer to buy more.

If you have to place the purchase on a credit card that attracts interest, then the purchase is no longer a bargain – the interest charge soon dissipates any sales discount, unless you can pay it off and skip the interest charge.

If you are already in debt, steer clear of the sales. You don’t need any further temptation.

Be careful if you are pregnant and buying for baby! This is an emotional time and you can easily get carried away at the sales, given the huge variety of heavily discounted items. I highly recommend making a list before you hit the shops. If you can stick to a realistic list, you will certainly make the most of the sales.

If things are tight and you can’t take advantage of the sales, don’t despair in about 6 months time, the stores will do it all again. So here’s my top tip, start saving and wait to make those purchases where you can get the best bang for your buck when the sales are on. If you can wait, buy your summer wardrobe in the January sales and like wise wait for the winter sales to buy your woollies. Personally I like to wait for the sales to make certain purchases, I tend to find the best-valued items at the sales include:

• Towels
• Birthday presents and Christmas gifts (if shopping in June)
• Kitchenware such as pots and pans
• Bedding, such as sheets and bed spreads
• Pyjamas
• Crockery / Dinner sets

Have you found any good buys?

Sonia Williams a mother of two, qualified accountant, author and author of Show Mummy the Money, and Give it a Go.

This information is correct at time of writing. It is general advice only and has not been tailored to your personal circumstances. Please seek personal financial advice prior to acting on this information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.