2 wk old stays awake for 4 hours help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 klizanne

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

I thought newborns usually stay awake for around 1-1.5 hrs?!

DS2 is 2 weeks old and since a couple of days ago is staying awake for 4 hours at a time then sleeping for 2 hours if I'm lucky! It's so exhausting!

when it comes close to an hour I make sure he has been fed, changed and hold him or wear him in a sling until he falls into a deep sleep so I can put him down in his bassinett or swing. If he's not in a deep sleep when put down he will wake straight up and cry hysterically. Taking 4 hours to get to sleep seems way too long. Oh yeah when he starts to stir in my arms I offer him a feed so it seems like I'm nursing him constantly for the 4 hours.

Any advice, tips or experiences? Any magic settling techniques you can pass on?

#2 babblefish

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

ummm, generally newborns do sleep more than that BUT i've have one that did and one that didn't! now that i have two, and worked all this out, i can help others from the pain i endured with my firstborn.

have you tried wrapping him very tightly in a cotton sheet? if he gets arms out, try wrapping a second sheet around the first. most newborns love being wrapped tightly.

do you know the tired signs? look for them at around 1- 1.5hrs. jerky movements with arms, crying, red eyes maybe? it is at this point that you wrap (wide awake), give cuddle whilst awake, and then put in cradle/cot. hold your hand on his chest with firm pressure, maybe slightly rocking or patting depending on baby.

pick up and cuddle after few minutes if crying is big/hard crying, then put back down when crying slows. hold hand on chest again.

also note: some newborns will have some sore neck or something from birth trauma (even with complication free births) so maybe consider laying a soft blanket under cot sheet to make it more comfortable to lie on. even allowing child to fall asleep on their side whilst your there, and rolling onto back once asleep..

also you can try a dummy, my daughter loves them, especially when she was only 2-3 wks old and had some colic issues. sucking seems to help colic pain.

good luck, and pm me if you have questions

#3 Crazy4Baby

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

Hi There

Newborns usually need to be put to bed before the 1 hour mark is up as 1.5 hours i would believe your little one is then overtired by that stage and its harder to get them to sleep as they get more active.

Within the hour you should have fed,changed nappy and have a cuddle time. Do you currently swaddle your bubs? This might help if you are not and also how often are you feeding bub as letting letting them graze on and off the boob is not only tiring for you but also bub would not have drank enough to stretch it out for a good block of sleep. Try to stretch feeds where possible for every 3 to 3.5 hours if possible.

Also sometimes baby might want to sux to comfort themselves which you might mistake that they want to feed again. If your ok with the idea a dummy may help sooth bubs to sleep and when you pop them in the cot on their back with you patting or shhing them to sleep.

Hope that helps!!

#4 Yummymummy17

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hi,

My now 4 month old- went through a stage like this aswell when about 2 weeks- but she would have her awake times in the morning for about 3 hours!!!! It didn't last very long, as I soon realised how overtired she would get, and I tried to get ther to sleep!
I ended up going to a settling class as I found myself holding her to sleep all the time ( we went at about 6 weeks though), and I was getting nothing done.
What we did was wrap her up when ready for bed (watch for tired signs or 1 hour- 1 hour and half awake time) then I put her in the pram awake. Everytime she made a cry noise we would rock the pram back and forth hard for 5 minutes. If she cried again did the same thing. This taught her to go down to sleep on her own. (they like the movement)
Then if she protested in her bassinette I would rock that
(It took about a week to get her use to going to sleep without me holding her)
I tried not to rock her to sleep and always put her down where she would wake up. But of course there are times when it still does happen!!!
Some settling tech. I use are : gently tracing her face with my fingers, sounds for silence cd up loud, or rocking in arms until she is settled then put her down awake.
But when they are 2 weeks you pretty much do what you need to get through it. But generally I found if she fell asleep in my arms- and then I tried to put her down she would always wake up, so maybe not the best way??
She also had a dummy!!!!!
Now at 4 months, I wrap her, sing a little song and cuddle, then put her down with her dummy awake, and 9 times out of 10, she will go to sleep by herself. But it wasn't always like that, and it will get better good luck!!

#5 Sal78

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:37 PM

google DR Harvey Karp for nebworn settling techniques.

Max wake time is 1 hour but if they start to show tired signs 45mins after waking, put to bed. 4 hours is way too long for 2 weeks old.

#6 redflutterby

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:09 PM

My little man is now 5 weeks old and is pretty good with the sleeping routine now but when he was around 2 weeks we had the same problem. He would often stay awake for 8 hours, refusing to settle and wanting to be constantly feed (I once went 6 hours!).

I had the health nurse and a lactation consultant come and see me several times and we figured out the problem. Unfortunately for me it was my breast milk drying up  ddown.gif (due to hormonal problems, bad birth experience and severe nipple damage) so he was constantly hungry and not getting enough to fill his little belly. My milk conpletely dried up a week later (lactation consultant said she had never seen someone's milk completely go that quickly before!) so I started bottle feeding and he seemed like a different baby.

The main thing though for us was the health nurse staying with us during the day for several hours showing us some great settling and sleeping techniques and we have never looked back. My little guy sometimes will only stay awake for 30-45 minutes but I was keeping him up for an hour and a half so by the time I would put him to bed he was so tired and upset! The nurse really helped us. Also I was trying to put him to bed asleep and then he would wake up 5 minutes later crying. We started putting him to sleep awake but tired and this has improved his settling dramatically.

In regards to my breastfeeding my case is a rare case though and I am sure your breast feeding is going fantastically and your bub is thriving. I developed massive nipple and breast problems then I was told that breastfeeding was not going to happen for me no matter what I did.  ddown.gif I was lucky to get to 3 weeks.

There are heaps of great websites with sleeping and settling techniques that can help you with your bub. All the best!

#7 threebillylids

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:17 PM

The birth process can be traumatic (on spines and skull) whether it be vaginal or caesarian. Maybe a visit to a cranial osteopath or chiropractor who has experience with babies. The manipulation is very gentle and may help if they have been in a poor position in utero or difficult birth (for them, not you).

#8 thelms

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:41 PM

My almost 6 week old did this from weeks 2-4! The only way he would sleep was if he was in the sling or on my chest. So during the day I wore the sling and at night he slept on my chest, I would lie him next to me once he got into a deep sleep. After every feed I would attempt to put him in the cot just so he got use to it. He never once fell asleep but after phoning Tresillian this is what they said to do. I would try settling for 20 mins and then put him in sling or in bed with me. All of a sudden he just started settling and sleeping in the cot... go figure!?

I hope you get some sleep soon  original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.