Can I give my dog cooked lamb shank bones?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rosalita

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

As title, they look delish & I know he would just about faint with happiness & gratitude if I gave him one, but I'm not sure I can?

I know I can't give him cooked chicken bones, but these are lamb bones, they are quite big & chunky, no small bits?

#2 ramath

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

We have given them to our dog,and he loooooves them,and have had no problems!He is a big dog,not sure if that would make a difference?

#3 =Magpie=

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:05 PM

nno2.gif  No, it's best not to give any cooked bones as they can be brittle and splinter, puncturing the mouth, throat, stomach etc. I simply wouldn't risk it....

#4 ~musedmum~

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Bones are fine as long as they are raw, not cooked bones. Cooked bones splinter into sharp shards, sharp like glass and can get easily lodged in the throat and gut . A raw bone will still break up but not into sharp pieces and therefore are ok to eat . NEVER give cooked bones.

#5 *jabberwocky*

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

This seems to say it's not a good thing as cooked bones of any type can splinter -

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...28101507AAHgRJ4

#6 Rosalita

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

Really?  cry1.gif

So sad for him, he would have loved them! But we don't need a trip to the vet for a punctured throat I suppose  nno.gif poor puppy  ssorry.gif

Thankyou for the quick replies, I thought that because they were bigger bones they would be ok, oh well.

Edited by MummyPig, 25 June 2009 - 08:10 PM.

#7 GardeningGirl

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:11 PM

Sad but true - when I was little we used to give our dog the bone off the sunday roast all the time and she loved it.  But knowing they're a hazard I couldnt give my dogs cooked bones anymore.

#8 sugita

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:20 AM

Yes, the lamb bones, you may give the dog.
My dog is really crazy about them. tthumbs.gif

#9 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:44 AM

Sugita,

no, you should never give dogs cooked bones, they splinter and can kill your dog. It doesn't matter if its lamb, beef or chicken - they all splinter after being cooked.

Dogs should get RAW bones only.

If you're giving your dogs cooked bones, you are risking a serious internal injury to them.

Might be worth changing your practice - if you don't believe me, speak with your vet next time you are in.

#10 sugita

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:41 PM

I did know that I may not give to my dog chicken bones - but lambs bones too? Thats new for me.
But sorry, I just she, it is cooked bones asked - my dog will always get only the raw bones (those that do not shatter).
blush.gif

#11 oliver's-mummy

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:44 PM

Please no cooked bones, as they can splinter the poor pups throat.
Give them to him raw, he will love them tthumbs.gif

#12 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

Sugita,

no problem - its always good to learn something new - before it becomes a problem, its nice to be able to help and to share.

And we all know how much our doggies love those raw bones (as totally disgusting as they are after a day or two)... biggrin.gif

#13 Rosalita

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:36 PM

And we all know how much our doggies love those raw bones (as totally disgusting as they are after a day or two).

yyes.gif Ugh!  sick.gif GROSS! I could smell something VERY bad a few weeks ago & couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was. I found it in DS2 room, in a drawer, it seems DS2 had picked up one of our dogs manky bones & popped it into his sock drawer.

Nice. Not. So. Much.  sick.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.