when to get ready to ttc and IVF no2. How long to wait when you are 40yo?
preg and baby mentioned

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 skip123

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

***child mentioned*****

Hi all, just a vague kinda question, I really hope this is in the right spot, please move me if I need to be elsewhere. We were lucky enough to get a bfp on our 4th transfer using icsi and we now have a lovely three month old. I am now 40yo and would really love to give our little one a sibling but I know that time is at a premium. I'd love to hear from anyone who was or is a similar situation and want to share advice.
I think my DH is reluctant to do IVF again as it was such a drama though very much worth it of course, he is hoping we'll be one of those people you hear about who fall naturally after having trouble with the first but I know you hear those stories but you dont hear about all those for whom it was just as tough the second time around!
So we will probably ttc naturally for a fair while, but how long I dont know, I will be 41 just after xmas. then there's breast feeding, when to wean to help bring back ovulation
?Any tips and opinions on timing would be appreciated. Thanks, skip

Edited by GeraniumQueen, 24 July 2009 - 02:57 PM.
***child mentioned*****

#2 bananasmoothie

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

***child mentioned*****

hi - we're going through this same dilemma at the moment.  We did IVF for 2 years before finally getting pregnant. I lost count of how many cycles but I think it was about 8 or 9 so it was a pretty tough journey.

My husband wants another one right now and I'm quite happy enjoying #1 but realise that we should get moving as it may take a while.  At the moment, we aren't trying but aren't using contraception either so if it happens it happens.  I'm not breastfeeding so ovulation is back to normal.  

We will probably go back to IVF around November.  We have 2 frosties so hopefully, one of those will work and we won't have to do another fresh cycle.  We are going overseas in October so that's the reason I'm delaying going back before then as I don't want to be pregnant while travelling otherwise, I'd be back for the FET now.  

Personally, I think its best to get on to it quickly as you just don't know what's going to happen and you don't want to leave it too late just in case.  Having said that, I've also prepared myself for the fact that we may only have 1 child and I am okay with that too.  

Good luck with your decision.  Hopefully, both of us will be those lucky people who conceive naturally after IVF.

Edited by GeraniumQueen, 24 July 2009 - 02:58 PM.
***child mentioned*****

#3 niban

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

*** ch ment******

I had DS when I was 34 and b/fed till he was nearly 3. I had a fair idea that we wouldn't fall naturally but wasn't willing to give up the feeding for a "maybe" baby. That said, TBH at 40 I don't think you have the luxury of time (I'm nearly there myself now) The stats on the drop-off after 40  are very sobering sadly...

Another thing to consider is the changes to the Safety Net as of Jan next year. Depending on your clinic you may find costs will really increase (and at our age too statistically we may well have to do more cycles/transfers)

Good luck with your decision...

niban

Edited by niban, 23 July 2009 - 06:55 PM.

#4 BeYOUtiful

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

There is also a section for Mum's doing AC that may assist you.

#5 Lifesgood

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

**Child mentioned**

Have to agree that at 40 I wouldn't wait too long. I would skip the ttcing naturally bit and go straight to IVF if you are serious about another baby. Maybe B/F until 6 months and then wean and start cycling.

I had DD at 36 and hummed and ha'd for 2 years before deciding to give it a go naturally, which we did for 6 months, no luck, then on to IVF, two cycle limit which we have now completed, with no success. We have called it quits and I know my age played a big part in our lack of success.

#6 Mummalovin

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:39 PM

****CH MENTIONED****

I was 40 when our 4th IVF cycle worked and I turned 41 nine days after DS and DD1 were born.

We had 6 frosties left and decided when the babes were 2 that we would go back again.  They were 2.5 when we had the transfer and I was 44.4 when DD2 and DD3 arrived.

We still have 3 frosties but I think we may be done.    sad.gif  I just turned 48 ohmy.gif

Edit to take out sig, oops sorry

Edited by Mummalovin, 23 July 2009 - 10:39 PM.

#7 *kea*

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:45 PM

*ch ment*

I am 39 and my FS advised me to come back when my baby was six months old if we wanted to try for another - basically as soon as possible.  Success rates decrease so quickly at this age, if we were certain that we wanted another I'd get back to trying asap.  

Good luck original.gif

#8 ponky

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:35 AM

***chd mentioned***

If it was me I would go back asap.  It is my only regret that we waited too long to start ttc nbr2.  
I was almost 40 when we had DS and I wanted to b/f as long as possible and also DS would not take a bottle.  Finally weaned at 17mts but I was then almost 42. 4 stim cycles, none to freeze and it was all over and no bfp.  

Maybe speak to your FS and see what they say

#9 Steggles

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:17 AM

It might also to pay to mention to your DH about the massive changes that will be occuring to the Medicare Safety Net as of Jan 1st next year - depending on your financial situation, it could be a big push to go for gold now original.gif All the best.

Edited by Steggles, 24 July 2009 - 06:18 AM.

#10 threeplusone

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:36 AM

***child mentioned*****

I'm 37 and had DS1 after 2 yrs TTC with IVF etc.  Like yours, my DH was reluctant to go through IVF again so soon and I wanted to wait a while aswell so we decided to give ourselves 1 year to try naturally.  
I have just got a BFP this week after m/c in March, so am one of those people you hear about who don't need IVF again, (I was unexplained).  However the monthly disappointments before my BFP started to bring back all the stress and disappointment and I was very close to going back to the FS.  i think at the end of the day, it is so worth doing it again for the end result.  I think any age towards the mid to late 30's you have to act on it sooner rather than later to be on the safe side.

Good luck

Edited by GeraniumQueen, 24 July 2009 - 02:59 PM.
***child mentioned*****

#11 lolasmum

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

**child mentioned**

OP I guess you don't have any frosties? If you have to start from scratch you might find that a couple of years can REALLY REALLY make a difference with egg quality. I would be getting back in the saddle sooner rather than later for this reason alone.  Plus as PP mentioned the new Safety Net changes are added incentive to get in as many cycles as possible this year.

My experience was that even though I was petrified at the thought of a close age gap, I was even more anxious at the possibility of not being able to give DD a sibling so went back for round 2 sooner than I would've liked - like you age was against me.  Ideally a 3 year age gap would've been great, but ultimately I didn't want any regrets later on.  

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by lolasmum, 24 July 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#12 skip123

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

Wow, thanks for all your replies.

I think you've all confirmed what I was thinking, no time to waste!!! I dont have any frosties, my ds was our lucky last!!

I know the govt is making cuts to availablity of ivf funding through the safety net, can anyone tell me the specifics, I've missed the news in detail.

Thanks again everyone, skip

#13 Guest_roses-are-red_*

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

Removed.

Edited by roses-are-red, 25 May 2010 - 12:15 PM.

#14 GeraniumQueen

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:25 PM

No more need to put "child mentioned" in my opinion, that's why we have this forum original.gif

#15 Guest_roses-are-red_*

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

Removed.

Edited by roses-are-red, 25 May 2010 - 12:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.