250 replies to this topic

#1 ~GG77~

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

New thread time  biggrin.gif

Link to old thread

Happy Reading.

#2 Empress NG

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

I am still going with Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis (pretty sure I posted that in the old thread).  Anyone feeling disgruntled with their job should read it.  Very funny.

To Lois:
mrsjessop - thanks for your encouragement, I will give it another go. I am sure there is something I am missing out on with this book, and I am determined to find out what it is . Interestingly I'd also started Middlesex but never finished it. And it is very unlike me to start books and not read them all the way through. Actually there is only one other book that comes to mind that I started and didn't finish, and that was Wetlands by Charlotte Roche. That books was a bit

I think my main interest in the Book Thief was the structure and narrative technique.  The story itself did start to draw me in more about halfway through though.  I lent my copy to a German backpacker we had staying with us and she absolutely loved it and was hoping it would be translated into German so she could buy copies for non-English speaking friends and family.

As for Middlesex, that really changed to a different kind of book after the first part about the grandmother in Turkey so definitely worth persevering past that point least.  

I'll give Jude the Obscure a go, but I had read it was a bit miserable. I thought I'd try and revisit some of the authors from my High School years (a looong time ago lol).

I studied Tess of the D'Urbervilles at uni but think I also read Jude the Obscure and Far from the Madding Crowd "just for fun".  wink.gif  Those things are good to read even if they are unrelentingly miserable.  laughing2.gif

#3 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:56 PM

Well I've just finished Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom  original.gif .  I really like his style of writing, but I wasn't a moved by the book as I expected to be.  Although I'm wondering if that is not more to do with my state of mind at the moment than anything else.  It has made me look at life differently though, and I'm going to reread it before I return it to the library  happy.gif

mrsjessop - Thank you for letting me know your experiences with those books.. it's definitely given me motivation to read them again  biggrin.gif.  I remember reading Far from the Madding Crowd as part of our required High School reading, and I remembered I really enjoyed it, so thought I might tackle some of Thomas Hardy's other books.  Another one from High School that I might read again is "The Razor's Edge".  I remember my English teacher was insanely fond of this book.. to the point he tried to live his whole life as the main character  blink.gif.  I'd like to read it again now as an adult to see if it was as profound as I remember it.

#4 Phoenix Blue

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:02 PM

I've just finished reading "Unspoken" by Sam Hayes. This was one I picked up off the returns trolley. It was a page turner, and although predictable in parts, it did have a bit of a twist at the end. Also, it was written from different views of the 3 main characters. I'd recommend it.

Yesterday I read "Walking in Light" by Kelvin Cruickshank. He is the NZ medium who works on some of the Sensing Murder series. I'm fascinated by that show, so thought his autobiography would be quite interesting. I feel bad saying someones autobiography was pretty average, but it wasn't a great read. Some bits were interesting, but some were a bit 'far out' for me to comprehend - talking about dark forces and spirit guides. I've never read anything on this subject before though, so perhaps someone with more knowledge and interest in the subject would enjoy it more.

I've just started The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde.

Kate

#5 Empress NG

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:15 PM

Just finished Freaky Green Eyes which is a new(ish) Young adult book by American writer (and academic) Joyce Carole Oates.  Is about domestic violence (including emotional manipulate) in a high profile family seen through the eyes of a teenage girl.  I love this writer's adult works and thought this YA novel was really, really good and powerful.  It was quite a quick read, ie, started it last night when I couldn't sleep and finished it on the way to work this morning.  Nice contrast to some of her adult novels, eg, We Were the Mulvaneys, which are really really long.  

I also finished Lucky Jim yesterday and was so pleased with the ending that I was smiling while reading it on the train.  The hero is so cynical and, at times, underhanded but manages to win the reader over with his humour and charm so you are really on his side all the way.  I love the awful descriptions of all his many enemies in the book.

#6 Manderley

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

I'm half way through "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton.  I was recommended this book by a friend who said it was possibly the best book she has ever read. Considering she reads a lot, I thought that was a pretty good recommendation!  So far I am really enjoying it.

#7 monnianni

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

I'm reading "The Book of rapture" by Nikki Gemmell.  So far I'm really enjoying it, it's pretty intense though, so I'm taking it slowly...

#8 Hermes

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

Started Caesar's Women today  biggrin.gif

Ill be finished somewhere around December i think  glare.gif

#9 rhiannonc

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

I'm about halfway through Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood.

Purchased it on a whim through bookdepository.com and I'm very glad I did  biggrin.gif

#10 Michelle4

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

I have just finished reading A Room With A View, for the 3rd time.  I love this story.

Read it when I was about 18,  then read it in my mid 20's after I had been to such places as in the book, Florence, Italy   and I was in Surrey, UK for a bit, with a totally different perspective.

And now I have read it in my early 40s,  so different all over again.  Found it very amusing and entertaining.  It was the book, I read whilst waiting in the car for kids, or at swimming lessons etc, in the Drs surgery LOL.

#11 rosslou

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

Just finished Twilight and now I've just started New Moon. - Stephenie Meyer

I wanted to start reading the series when I was ready not when everyone else was reading them.

I enjoyed Twilight but I can't see what all the hype was about.

#12 Empress NG

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

I'm reading "The Book of rapture" by Nikki Gemmell. So far I'm really enjoying it, it's pretty intense though, so I'm taking it slowly...

I loved her novels CLeave and Shiver but couldn't get into The Bride Stripped Bare.  Which one would you say this one is more like (if you have read any of those others)?

#13 lee01

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

I am reading a book by Linsay Sands. It is a vampire romance and it is quiet good.

#14 monnianni

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

Mrsjessop, I read the first two so long ago I can't really remember them.   The Book of Rapture is ulike anything I've read in ages, it's about religion, motherhood and ethics, very thought provoking.  I'm going to leave it a few months and read it again...

Would love to hear what others think of it...

Am now reding the book of Breakfast at Tiffanys. Some of it was used verbatim in the movie, and some is quite different....

#15 Littleboysblue

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

Just finished 'The Host' by Stephanie Meyer, really enjoyed it although took me a while to get into it after reading the whole twighlight series. im not normally a scifi/fantasy reader but now im hooked!

About to start 'The Pact' by Jodi Piccoult...

#16 rowsmum

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

Just finished 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini - both fiction but inspired by his real-life experiences of life in Afghanistan under the Taliban.  Highly recommended. I had little knowledge of Afghan life and the books were a real eye-opener.

#17 Manderley

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

Well I just finished "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton and I loved it. It was a similar style of book to "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield which is one of my favourite books. I found out about the The Thirteenth Tale on this forum I'd recommend this book to those of you who loved that one.

Kate Morton also wrote "The Shifting Fog" which was ok, but "The Forgotten Garden" is so much better.

Off to the library now to find my next read!

#18 LibertyLady

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

Today I bought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.

The author is Swedish and was first published in Swiss and was translated to english.

I read two chapters while sitting at the hair dressers getting my hair done.

#19 Phoenix Blue

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

Currently reading "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts. huge book. No idea how I'm going to get through it in my 3 week limit at the library! I'm enjoying it but can someone just confirm for me - it is definitely a work of fiction isn't it - even though it reads like an autobiography?  unsure.gif

I tried a Jasper Fforde "The Eyre Affair" from EB recommendations but it didn't really grab me at all. I probably read about half, and only got that far because I had nothing else to read. I guess it just wasn't my taste. original.gif

feb-bubby - I loved "The Host" too, although I'm not a huge fan on the twilight series.

monnianni - "The Book of Rapture" is in this years list of 50 books you can't put down. It sounds really interesting so I might give it a go too.

Kate

#20 Wickedness

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:28 PM

The lovely bones atm, on EB recommendation... I cant read too much at once, its quite an intense book and i think Im finding it a bit of a "lull" atm..... i shall keep reading!

I just finished "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop, about her escape from a radical polygamy sect about 6 years ago... very good! And she was on Oprah yesterday, i wanted to know more from her on the show- as always the book was more fabulous than the tv  happy.gif

#21 autumntree

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

I'm currently reading all of Lisa Gardners books. So far they have all been pretty gripping. Some are a little more violent than others which I don't like much but the book overall is great. I didn't realise they had some of the same characters and ran to a slight timeline, but it doesn't really matter which order they are read in. Anyway, I've read about 4 and am on to the next.

#22 leo the lioness

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

I'm currently reading Twilight.

QUOTE (rosslou @ 28/08/2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wanted to start reading the series when I was ready not when everyone else was reading them.

Same here.  And, I don't care that "I'm behind the times"!

#23 frazzled

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

I`m currently reading (and loving) Kate Atkinson`s When Will There Be Good News. Highly recommend it and can`t wait to get hold of her other books.

#24 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

I've just finished 'Veronika Decides to Die' by Paulo Coelho.  

I really liked it.  I found it to be a really eye-opening book, and it made me question a lot of my long-held beliefs and the way I view certain things.  I'd actually like to re-read it before it's due back at the library again.

Today I started 'Kafka on the Shore' by Haruki Murakami after reading how this quote from Niggles:

Kafka on the shore - Haruki Murakami

If I were Homer Simpson, Murakami would be my doughnuts.

I am really loving it so far  biggrin.gif.  

I'm about halfway through Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood.

Will definitely be reading this one too  biggrin.gif

I've also got a few books from the library waiting in the 'queue' for me to read  happy.gif, including:

'Possible Side Effects' by Augusten Burroughs
'The Door to December' by Dean Koontz
'The House of Thunder' by Dean Koontz
'Always looking up : the adventures of an incurable optimist' by Michael J Fox
'Buddhism for mothers with lingering questions : taking stock of what really matters' by Sarah Napthali
'Waiting' by Ha Jin   (I'm actually going to re-read this one.. it's one of my favourites  biggrin.gif )

#25 Guest_calidarling_*

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

I am re-reading Helen Garner's The First Stone.

I have a Nick Earl's novel waiting and a tome of Arthurian legends to re read.

I've ordered The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in order to join in the EB discussion group.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.