What are you reading ATM #10

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
250 replies to this topic

#26 Littleboysblue

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

im currently reading 'Its not about the bike' by lance armstrong, finding it pretty interesting, love autobiographies

#27 tlc76

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

I'm reading 'How to break your own heart'. It's an easy read and probably a bit lighter than what I was hoping for. I am enjoying it though, but would recommend it as a holiday read.
Carlidarling - try Joe Cinque's Consolation if you like Helen Garner. I couldn't put it down when I read it a year or so ago and still think about it every now and then.
I'm hanging out to read Shantaram too so will look forward to some reviews/

#28 The Cat's Me-Wow

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:06 PM

New to this thread, but am about halfway through My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult (SP?) (bubs is starting to grizzle, no time to check)

My sister recommended it and I'm really enjoying it. Not sure if I should watch the movie as I then find on re-reading a book I just see the actors' faces...

#29 peking homunculus

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:34 PM

Just finished Twilight. I am another who is behind the times!!

It was OK, but really lacking in a driving story line. The whole attack by the hunter vampire seemed tacked onto the end to try and make something happen I also didn't really enjoy the sanitised vampires. I think vampires should be a bit dirtier than Edward and his family.

Still, I think it would make a good movie so I must try and get it out.

Just about to start Anathem by Neal Stephenson

#30 RedPony

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

I am reading a depressing book called "This little kiddy went to market: the corporate capture of childhood" by Sharon Beder, which I got for my birthday. It's a book all about how large corporations have insidiously crept in to the psyches of children through marketing. Its got a lot of stats and studies so its a bit of a slog but its kind of like No Logo. Here's a quote: "Four out of five children recognise the McDonald's brand by the time they are three years old..." Jolly stuff.

#31 Empress NG

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:02 PM

I`m currently reading (and loving) Kate Atkinson`s When Will There Be Good News.

I loved this too!  I found the one preceding it selling cheaply at the Berkelouw's outlet in Sydney.  That was just as good.

As for me, I am re-reading Atonement (for my book club) and also Five go off in a caravan by Enid Blyton ( blush.gif ).

#32 B-B-M

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hi.. i'm new in here so hope thats ok!

I'm reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

#33 *chimel*

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:23 PM

i'm on a bit of a run on Augusten Burroughs Books, I started backwards a bit by reading Possible side effects, then I read Running with Scissors and i've just finished Dry,  i'm about to start Magical Thinking

They have all been fabulous so far, i think i have only one book after this one, Sellivision... and then i'm finished...

Before that I read Atomised by Michel Houlellebecq, which i found pretty hard going, and very depressing. Interested to hear what others thought about this book,

Mel

Edited by *chimel*, 17 September 2009 - 08:23 PM.

#34 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

Another one reading the Book of Rapture here.  I've found it a little hard to get into, I think mostly because I'm reading late at night and am not fully absorbing it.  I struggled through the Bride Stripped Bare also, so am thinking I don't particularly like her style of writing?

mrs-spanky, I thought the movie adaptation of My Sister's Keeper was actually quite good.  It's one of the few book to movie's that I've liked.  I do know what you mean though, I saw The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas at my local video store earlier this week but just couldn't bring myself to borrow it as I really did like that book.  Plus I was utterly disgusted with the Confessions of a Shopaholic movie!

Prior to this though my latest read was The Other Hand by Chris Cleave.  Very thought provoking and highly recommended.

#35 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

To the people who are recommending books can you perhaps give a short description of the style/subject line etc?  I'm slowly but surely getting into books again and I'm after a few suggestions.  Came in here for a few ideas but I'm not terribly familiar with some of the authors - so I've been googling them all blush.gif

#36 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:50 AM

Just ordered "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop and "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy - can't wait! tthumbs.gif

I'm still struggling my way through "Twilight" tho blush.gif man it's hard to find time to read with two kids! wacko.gif Both in preschool tomorrow tho woohoo  happy.gif

#37 esmaewatson

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

I have just read 'A Mind for Murder' by noreen Reiner.  Its about the life and cases of a psychic detective.  It was good.  Its facinating what she goes through and I couldn't put it down...
What is the Lost Symbol by Dan Brown like?  I am itching to read it!

#38 B-B-M

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

I've finished reading The Lost Symbol. I enjoyed it, thought it was a little slow at first but then those pages started turning! Especially about three quarters of the way through - i couldn't put it down, eyes were drooping, body physically exhausted but my head was saying "no - you HAVE to know - now now now!" lol!

#39 Phoenix Blue

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:34 AM

I've just finished (finally!) Shantaram. Only 2 days overdue too wink.gif I can't say I loved it. A bit too heavy and slow (and long!) for my liking. But I did enjoy reading about India, and he does describe things beautifully.

Now I'm reading Eat Pray Love. I must say I'd love to be able to take a year off and travel the world. I think she writes really well, and it is an easy and enjoyable read.

Just put A Mind for Murder (recommended by esmaewatson) on hold at the library. It sounds like something I'd really like.

Kate

#40 frazzled

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

Mrs jessop (and anyone else!).....I`ve just read Case Histories, which is the first of the three Kate Atkinson books featuring the same detective.....resisted the temptation to rush out and buy the second (is that the one you read...One Good Turn?), as I`m trying to stretch out the fun, love them so much and don`t want to eat all the lollies in one go (if you know what I mean). I`ve just got hold of Mao`s Last Dancer and want to read that before I see the movie.....have heard great things about it and am really looking forward to getting stuck into it tonight.

#41 Empress NG

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

Yes, One Good Turn is the other one I read.  Looks like I will be reading them in backwards order!

I so know what you mean about not wanting to eat all the lollies in the jar at once!  I have done that with a few authors/series and really regretted it.

Oh and do read Mao's Last Dancer.  that is a wonderful book.

Edited by mrsjessop, 23 September 2009 - 04:51 PM.

#42 mandy2

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:27 PM

Mao's Last Dancer by Il Cunxin

I actually first read this book in Borders when I forgot my purse at home. It was free to read and after reading the first chapter, I was hooked but couldn't stay that long.

So I had the thoery that if the book was still there when I got back, it was meant to be. And it was I now own my very own copy.

But there's a hint, want a free read head to a book store lol.

Something to do I guess, even for the kids!

#43 drunkenmonkey

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

Currently reading "The Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet" by Benjamin Hoff. Fantastic book - looks at the way Pooh relates to the Taoist principles. Best bit about it is that it is littered with parts of the Pooh books and Pooh and friends quite often "interrupt" the author original.gif Fantastic humor.

Just finished both of Michael J Fox's autobiographies. Really great books.

If you are interested go to my blog to see what I have read recently and what I thought and what I have to read next:

http://ramblingsofdrunkenmonkey.blogspot.com/

#44 K2010

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

I am currently reading "Stolen innocence" by Elissa Wall. Its her story about growing up in a Polygamous sect. I have previously read "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop and both books are similiar, but very interesting.

#45 The Cat's Me-Wow

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

Finished My Sister's Keeper. Am lending it to my mum with a warning to have a box of tissues on hand for the whole book.

Now reading New Moon. FINALLY 'get' the whole Twilight thing. I'd be reading it all day and night if I didn't have a husband, a nine year old and a four month old....  cool.gif

#46 loubee

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Hello, can I come in?

I'm reading The Childrens Book by AS Byatt. It's set at the turn of the ninteenth century England and centres around a very bohemian family and their friends but topical to the era. Excellent so far.
QUOTE (rhiannonc @ 28/08/2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm about halfway through Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood.

Purchased it on a whim through bookdepository.com and I'm very glad I did  biggrin.gif

I recently read this and just adored it but I was desperate for japanese omelets! I was given 'What I talk about when I talk about Running' last year and so enjoyed it I now have a stack of Murakami's on my bedside table ready to go.

Happy reading

#47 rhiannonc

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (loubee @ 27/09/2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recently read this and just adored it but I was desperate for japanese omelets! I was given 'What I talk about when I talk about Running' last year and so enjoyed it I now have a stack of Murakami's on my bedside table ready to go.

Happy reading

I just bought a couple more Murakami's today - along with Mao's Last Dancer & Kite Runner.

Am currently about a third of the way through My Sister's Keeper - I should hop off the computer and do a bit more reading tonight!

Shantaram is currently my book of choice to read during lunch at work - I really struggle to put it down.  His descriptions are that vivid I can almost envisiage myself in India alongside him!

#48 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

Slowly but surely working my way through Twilight blush.gif got the rest of the series sitting on my bookshelf gathering dust ninja.gif

Also started reading Escape (Carolyn Jessop) and I can't put it down!  ohmy.gif I can't believe how much she's been put through as a child and the amount of abuse that went on in the Mormon community that was seen as okay/normal  sad.gif

#49 Empress NG

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

I am trying to force myself to read Confederacy of Dunces for my RL book club.  What a chore that is proving.  Has anyone else read it?  Please tell me it gets better!  I am suspecting that it is one of those books that you have to be American/have an understanding of certain cultural references to really get.

Oh and Lynny, I read Carolyn Jessop's book last year and like you, I couldn't put it down.  It is so amazing that those people can get away with something like that in a country like the US.  It is like the Taliban in Afghanistan!  Did you ever watch the series Big Love on SBS?  You will really appreciate that if you have read Carolyn Jessop's book.  I think you can get the first series quite cheaply on dvd from places like JB HiFi.

Edited by mrsjessop, 04 October 2009 - 08:46 AM.

#50 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

Confederacy of Dunces

never heard of it - sounds like theres too much thinking involved for my wee little pea brain Tounge1.gif

I loved Big Love! I actually thought about it the other day - we missed a few episodes and then all of a sudden it was gone  sad.gif I hate it when things get taken off without notice or if the time slot changes aannoyed.gif must try and hunt it down  happy.gif

Edited by ~~Lynny~~, 04 October 2009 - 11:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.