What are you reading ATM #10

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
250 replies to this topic

#51 kyrrie

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:56 PM

I'm in book heaven at the moment.  I'm reading Inkheart and The Girl Who Played with Fire and have Mr Pip sitting there waiting for me.  Loving it!

I love, adore, worship Kate Atkinson and I'm afraid I totally stuffed myself at the lolly shop and have read all her books.  It's so sad not having any more to read.

Also realy liked Escape, absolutely fascinating.  There's a really good novel about polygamy called The 19th Wife.  I really enjoyed that too.  I heard rumours that Big Love would be back on TV over summer.  Hope so!

#52 Guest_Cali~_*

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

Just finished 2 books - one Bones and Silence - a Dalziel and Pascoe

and the other - um- had Bones in the title too - a Temperence Brennan forensic one.

Am now reading a biog by the bassist from The Buzzcocks - not very good.

Currently reading "The Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet" by Benjamin Hoff. Fantastic book - looks at the way Pooh relates to the Taoist principles. Best bit about it is that it is littered with parts of the Pooh books and Pooh and friends quite often "interrupt" the author original.gif Fantastic humor.

Gosh I read that when I was 19 - 26 years ago! ohmy.gif

#53 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:33 AM

The Kindness Of Strangers - it's a collection of travellers tales and has been very good so far. Some funny, some inspiring, some sad.

#54 K2010

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

i just finished "Her Mothers Thighs" by Dara Chadwick. I highly reccommend it for mothers and preteenand teenage girls .
Now am reading "Mao's Last Dancer" for the bookclub on here!

#55 aria

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

Mrs Jessop
Confederacy of Dunces is hard work, I enjoyed it but plenty of people don't!!

I am reading A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz...its great but over 700 pages long lots of plots and sub plots but basically a mad roller coaster of a fictional family history.

I am also reading Fault Lines by Nancy Huston which I am loving.

I have The Book of Rapture ready to go and just finished The Guersney Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society which I did not expect to like but really did.

#56 Manderley

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

Mrsjessop - I found Confederacy of Dunces hard going too, I kept ploughing through because I'd heard how wonderful it was, but ended up giving up around two-thirds of the way in, I just wasn't enjoying it.

If you finish it I'd love to know what you thought, if it was worth reading the whole way. I still have the book just in case I might want to attempt it again, have had no urge so far!!

#57 Empress NG

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:28 AM

Thanks.  Glad I am not the only one to find Confederacy of Dunces difficult.  My friend who is also in the bookclub is also struggling with it.  At the moment, my strategy is to read a chapter of it (they are quite long chapters) and then reward myself with a few chapters of a trashy Jennifer Crusie novel.  This is making it even slower going.   rolleyes.gif

I scored very well at the library last time I went so also have another Kate Atkinson and Saturdays by Ian McEwan to look forward to reading to once I finally get through bloody Confederacy of Dunces  

Re the Tao of Pooh, I had a boyfriend once who was entranced by that book.  He used to write me these letters with all sorts of Random Things in Capital Letters which I think was Inspired by The Book.  Totally Put Me Off ever Reading it Myself!   cool.gif

#58 GWTW

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:31 AM

I'm about to start The Memory Keeper's Daughter for my next book club meeting.

#59 Guest_~sonique~_*

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

I've almost finished The Catcher in the Rye...

#60 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:42 AM

I'm reading Eclipse from the twilight series - managed to finish New Moon in two nights and now I'm a wreck! ddoh.gif

Also reading Mao's Last Dancer for the EB book club, I am struggling with it a bit - the first few pages are so depressing and sad  sad.gif I'll try to get stuck into it once I finish Eclipse..

#61 Ianthe

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

The Childrens Book by AS Byatt

I am waiting for my Mum to finish this and hand it over to me.

Mr Pip

Love this book.

I am reading Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier.

#62 71Cath

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:16 AM

I have just finished the new Marian Keyes book (The Brightest Star in the Sky)- I really enjoyed it, although it was a bit different to some of her others.  I am now onto Burnt Offerings - number 7 in the Larell K Hamilton "Anita Blake" series.

#63 Empress NG

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:21 PM

Emotionally Weird by Kate Atkinson.  I have only read her Jackson Brodie books before this and not sure I like it as much.  Still very early days though.  I just remember WHen Will There be Good News grabbing me from virtually the first page.

Also out from the library I have:

Saturdays by Ian McEwan
The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards (this is my book club book)
a Margaret Attwood that is based on a Greek myth (can't remember title)
an Elizabeth Berg book that has something about mending in the title (have read this and really enjoyed it)

Edited by mrsjessop, 26 October 2009 - 12:25 PM.

#64 Illiterati

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

Just finished reading On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan

Still trying to finish The Sorrows of an American by Siri Hustvedt

About to start The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

#65 Illiterati

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:42 AM

Just read Breath by Tim Winton.  I flicked open the first page at about 7pm last night and finished it at 2.30am this morning.

It is been floating around my house for a while as a book I wanted to read but was a little put off by its description as being a book about surfing.  Silly me.

#66 Etcetera

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

The Queen's Fool - Philipa Gregory.

Im excited as I'm going to a book fair on the weekend with my sister!

#67 ~*Carlie*~

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

I'm reading Charlaine Harris's collection of short stories involving Sookie it's called 'A Touch Of Dead'. It's really good, fills you in on all the bits that happened between the books.

'

#68 monnianni

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

Just finished "The Brightest Star in the Sky" Marian Keyes.  I agree, 71Cath, it is a bit different to her other stuff!  It took a while to get into it, then I was hooked and read most of it in a night! (a very late night!)  Really enjoyed it in the end.  Now to decide what to read next...

#69 sarah_jane

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:31 AM

Just finished the Millennium trilogy By Steig Larsson- Loved it!

Have started The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas. Only one chapter in, and there's a lot of swearing! I think I'm going to enjoy it original.gif

#70 pitterpat

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

I just bought the new Marian Keyes "Brightest Star in the Sky".

For those PPs who are reading Twilight the series gets better. I found Twilight a good read but I didn't see what all the fuss was about. But I loved New Moon and the last book (can't remember what it's called as I read the last two books back to back) was gripping - couldn't put it down!! I borrowed them from a friend but will now have to go out and buy them so I can read them again.

#71 loubee

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (Sybilla @ 27/10/2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just finished reading On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan

And Breath I read around the same time. What did you think? I loved them both, definitely Ian McEwans best novel.

Last month I finished Childrens Book (excellent); Her Fearful Symmetry (good easy read); Eat Pray Love (oh that woman was just a little too much for me); The Other Hand and Twilight which I quickly followed up with the movie to see if it was better on screen, I will no doubt read the series but only if I can borrow the books  wink.gif.

Finishing 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly close', will join EB book club and read '19th Wife', RL Book club TBC and 'The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao'. I have next weekend away with a friend and intend to read, run and eat only.

Edited by loubee, 01 November 2009 - 05:45 PM.

#72 aria

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

Sybilla- I loved Breath too, I love all of Tim Wintons books, except maybe the riders because the ending was unexpected!

I have just finished "Wanting" by Richard Flanagan, parts are beautifully written but I find Richard Flanagan a little intense. Anyone else read it? What did you think?

Am now reading the Book of Rapture then onto "We are all made of Glue" by Marina Lewycka. I LOVED her "A short history of tractors in Ukrainian.

#73 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:31 AM

Just finished Carolyn Jessops' 'Escape' - loved it.  Started "the Road" last night - not liking the writing style at all - too hard to read and absorb whats going on etc..

#74 Empress NG

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:19 AM

Breath is one of my book club books.  I am looking forward to it.

I also loved Carolyn Jessop's book.  What an amazing woman!  (and no, I am not her in disguise.  My username is from a different Mrs Jessop).  

Aria, I have only read "Two Caravans" by Marian Lewycka.  That was great and I think really topical for Australia at the moment amidst all this talk of illegal entrants to the country etc.  I will also never eat a non-free range chicken again after reading some chapters set in a chicken processing plant.

Edited by mrsjessop, 02 November 2009 - 07:20 AM.

#75 K2010

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:11 AM

I agree Carolyn Jessop is amazing. I just finished a similar storylined book- Breakout- how i escaped the exclusive bretheran by David Tchappat. It was a very interesting book .

Now am reading The 19th wife for eb bookclub and then The Guersney Literary and Potato Peel Society

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.