Seatbelt extender?
Looking for a device that gives better access to do up protecta harnes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Petrichor

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:45 AM

We have just fitted three car seats in the back of my Astra.  cool.gif

It is a pretty squeazy fit however a lady at the Baby/Kids Shop mentioned that we can purchase a seat belt extender that will give easier access for doing up the seatbelt of the car seat with the protecta harness.  The other two car seats will be using the 5 pt harness so it is just a problem getting our hands between the car seats to do up the one seat belt.  

Has anybody heard of these and have any information about them they would like to share?  And where would you purchase one from if the Baby/Kids Shop doesn't supply them?

HF

#2 TheStick

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:19 PM

You can get them on eBay.  Just make sure your model of car is listed though before buying them, as there is at least 3 different types of buckle.  I have 2 different ones and none of them fit my Mitsubishi.  

Are you aware that kidsafe no longer recommend add on harnesses?   How big is the child using this set up?  Either way, an extension is still makes life a lot easier when you do decide to go to the standard belt.

#3 chumbo

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

I have 2 but they are not cheap, I can't remember where I got them from. But will try and look it up.

#4 shell68

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

We had to buy our ones from the States. Our car is a Mazda. They are not safe though, if in  an accident they can cause abdominal injuries. We only use one in the middle seat where the extender is no where near my DD'S abdominal region.

#5 TheStick

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

Shell68, you are right, that is why it is important to get the right length also.  Anything over 200mm is going to be too long and reach to the abdominal area. If you get the right length though, it should sit exactly where a standard buckle would sit if you were on the normal seat, but in the booster obviously.

#6 Petrichor

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

Thanks very much for your replies.

The Stick -
Are you aware that kidsafe no longer recommend add on harnesses? How big is the child using this set up? Either way, an extension is still makes life a lot easier when you do decide to go to the standard belt.
  No, I wasn't aware that kidsafe no longer recommend add on harnesses.  huh.gif  I'm planning on getting it checked out now to make sure that we are ok with what we have done.  Thanks for that info.  original.gif  The child in this seat is 4 years old and 17 kgs.  I'll feel much better if I have a professional check her out in the seat with the harness to tell us if they think it is the safest option or not.

Shell68 - thanks for that warning about the safety.  If we do end up getting one, we'll be sure that it is only sitting high enough for us to access it between the car seats only.

Thanks all for the responses.

HF

#7 Bondia

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:33 PM

We have one of these extenders. You can get them from Supercheap Auto or Autobarn (I'm in Brisbane). They cost around $50. We couldn't possibly do up the seatbelt for DD1 with 3 seats in the back (Camry) without it.

The only downside is it sits inside her booster seat, under the armrest, and has the potential to press against her leg. She's fairly thin so it's ok at the moment, but that may be an issue as she grows bigger.

I have no idea how it could end up near their abdominal region - it simply isn't that long. It adds maybe 20cm to the belt, so just enough to get it to stick out the side of the seat rather than have to push your hand down to find the buckle.

We use a Protecta harness - I wasn't aware Kidsafe was advising against this. Anyone have a link????

#8 LittleMissPink

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:22 AM

RACQ sell them in their online shop, and they post to anywhere.

#9 EsmeLennox

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

Repco also have them.

#10 TheStick

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=719741

#11 ~JASB~

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:56 AM

Glad I saw this thread.  I helped a friend last week with buying new seats to fit 3 across her Mitsubishi Challenger.  Her oldest (4yo 23kg) is now in an Infa Vario Max and it is really, REALLY hard to get his seatbelt done up (we went with just the lap sash belt for him, no harness).  I had told my friend that I've heard the seatbelt extenders aren't safe/recommended so she was going to try and perservere without it, but it's going to be really difficult.

So in short, are they ok, as long as they aren't too long?  Is that the only concern with them being unsafe?  I've never had the problem myself as I have a 7 seater so haven't had to worry about the extenders.

#12 teejay

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:07 PM

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that the reason for not using seat belt
extenders is that there is more points that the seatbelt can fail in an accident. I also think
I read in a carseat manual that they don't recommend the use of them. Maybe check your manual
or ring a carseat installing place.

#13 Bondia

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

she was going to try and perservere without it, but it's going to be really difficult
Yep, short of getting a new car there really isn't another option for us.

#14 TheStick

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:08 AM

I would not be too concerned.  Extenders were actually designed for large people, not for how we are using them.  So they would have a pretty high resistance rating.  

I don't have any in my current car, I have a rear facing restraint in the middle and 2 Infa Varios on each side.  I have to do up their belts each time and slide the seat out a little to do up the belt then push it back in.  This is in a Pajero, so not a small car.  I had extenders previously but I have not been able to find any to fit this car.  

The seat belt retracts into the correct position once the seat is pushed back towards the middle.  This would not work if you were using a gaited buckle and a harness as it would mean the seat belt would be too loose and the harness would pull the belt up over the abdomen, very dangerous.

#15 Petrichor

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

Thanks again for the responses.  original.gif

I have an appointment at Kidsafe in a fortnight from today so it will be interesting to see what they say about the protecta harness when they check our carseats for us.  They also advised that they do sell the seatbelt extenders there however are unsure if they have any compatable with my car so will have to see if that is an option for us.

HF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.