Hong Kong BG # 28

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#26 rachelemma

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:10 PM

Oh I'm so not looking forward to Emma learning to write in Chinese.

Not sure how much you should charge but I know teachers that charge that much for personal tuition. I really wouldn't know. I guess it depends on the numbers of hours you work and the situation. In saying that though, I know Charlie's playgroup would pay a westerner to take their English classes for $250 an hour. And that's with no qualifications whatsoever.

#27 Jane01

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:02 PM

Ozekid - I have absolutely no idea about teachers assistants, but because I'm an accountant, HK$300 per hour is the equivalent of a monthly salary of HK$54,000. Bear in mind that you would be expected to earn more on an hourly rate basis than monthly basis.  A colleague of mine has a wife who has been a teacher (fully qualified, 20+ years experience) at an ESF school and earns HK$50k/month, 12 month year.  

I'd imagine that most schools have a set rate.  They might be testing you.  Consider whether you want to name a figure, or just say 'market rates'.

#28 BlondieUK

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:13 AM

'Educational Assistants' in HK tend to earn between HK$120 and 140 an hour, based on an hour by hour contract - usually with a specified minimum during term time.

'Teaching Assistants' - fall into two categories: those who expected to participate fully in writing lessons plans and delivery (for example, in a KG where one teacher takes the lead in the morning, and the other takes the lead in the afternoon).....usually these teachers have some kind of qualification; and those who function more as general classroom assistants, for example, preparing materials and general organising of the classroom space. Salaries really vary between the local and international schools.

Per hour tuition is based on the fact that yo can usually only do x number of hours in a day, and there are no benefits. So $300 seems like a lot for one hour, but you may only be able to charge $900-1200 per day, and you don't get paid on weekends/holidays/sick days etc etc.

#29 0zeKid

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for the advice. I like the "market rate" comment as I hate when they ask you a question such as hourly rate when a) they know what the market rate is and b) they are only going to offer a certian amount anyway!

We'll see. As long as I can cover my transport and the days they want me to work are suitable (ie, not wanting to work for 2 hours every day!) then I really want it for the experience!

#30 0zeKid

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:31 AM

NEED decent sausages. Don't like ANY of the supermarkets or Tenderloins' at this stage and want to try someone else.

HK Chicks in DB - please PM me if you are willing to go halves in a meat order with someone like meatmarket.hk or your usual (my freezer is to small at this stage to do a whole min order).

Happy Holidays!

#31 BlondieUK

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:31 AM

Rachelemmacharliejack - congratulations! And from one Jack's mum to another, what a great name!

xxxx

#32 rachelemma

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

Thanks Blondie. It's so slow in here I haven't been in to announce anything. Jack was born on Dec 1st.

Oz - Try southstream. I think the address is www.southstream.com   or maybe .com.hk   not really sure. They have excellent steaks, breads, seafoods andything really. Although, like everything here, you pay for it.

#33 rachelemma

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

Okay it's neither of those addresses. I'll wait for dh to get home from cricket, he knows the address.

#34 rachelemma

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:34 PM

http://www.south-stream-seafoods.com/

#35 BlondieUK

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:26 AM

Merry Christmas!

Rudolf has eaten the carrots and drunk his water.
Santa is not home yet - when he gets in from his Christmas Eve concert, he will no doubt drink the single malt scotch that Jack left out for Santa.......original.gif

#36 0zeKid

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:27 AM

Thanks Rach. Have bookmarked southstream as they do look good. Just need to buy another freezer! Found some decent lamb ones at 360.

Happy holidays all. Hope everyone had a stress free day original.gif

#37 rachelemma

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

Bummer, if I'd read this about three hours earlier you could have had our freezer for free. We just threw it out this morning. It was nearly brand new but was taking up too much space.

#38 0zeKid

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

I don't have the space for it! Just went to shambala again and spent $11K on more stuff which I have to figure out where to put...

Thanks though.

Blondie - nice to bump into you yest. sorry to had to work.

#39 TanyaMM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:39 AM

Hi Everyone,

hope you all had a great Christmas. I suppose you are all back to school this week.

We are right in the middle of our move back. All the logistics are done and now is the tedious sorting through the house as we are renting it out this time. Having a massive clean out and DH's company is paying to move stuff over this time so it will be nice having our own furniture.

Our furniture leaves in less than 2 weeks and we leave on the 27th January. The kids are all booked in to the Norweigian International School - becoming a fave for HK BG!

Anyway, looking forward to catching up soon.

Tan x

#40 0zeKid

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hi TanyaMM, it took me 6 months to consolidate furniture, sell and sort! But it was worth it as we too shipped over everything this time -- only a small cupboard worth of stuff is in storage - wedding and baptism dresses, the cot and old school books.

Pleased that you got the kids into the school you wanted - may I ask why NIS, do they teach with a Montessorri philosophy! Did you find a place or are you going to service apartment it until you do?

It looks like we will be getting a car original.gif we had one over Christmas and it was really good not to have to lug the kids around to see things. Also gave us a chance to 'see' Hong Kong and and just the tourist stuff.

Looking forward to catching up!

#41 jenayds

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

OzeKid, where are you going to be living this time? I figure not DB, if you're getting a car?

Very belated congratulations to rachelemma on the beautiful Jack - lovely sig!

Welcome back in advance to TanyaMM. We never got to meet so maybe when you arrive this time around we can rectify that!

Waves to everyone.

#42 0zeKid

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

jenayds - living in DB. Will park the car in Tung Chung. If DH gets the job near Nam Wan (or which ever station is it, then he can be at work in about 30 mins as opposed to trying to catch a bus two trains and then walking. Also means we will be able to get around on Sundays when he is not working original.gif

It is pretty much confirmed, DH just needs the contract to say Nam Wan is it and we can go shoppping original.gif

How is everyone else going?

#43 Jane01

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

Hi HKers

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !  Rachel - congratulations on your new arrival.  i hope he is letting you get some sleep.  

We arrived back from Perth and Canberra on Sunday.  Back to work/school Monday.   Far too cold and polluted here.  

We did a bit of house-building related stuff on our holidays.  The plans are agreed and should go to council this week.  We expect to start building in March.  The builders say it will take 12 months, but I think more likely 18 months.  We are then open for visitors !  (September 11 if the maths was too much there, ha ha).  We will have a big guest room and children can all fit in with the girls.  

DH is still in Perth, he has 2 more weeks holiday than us, lucky boy.  He has been test-driving cars, like you will be soon Ozekid.  

Anyone doing the Standard Chartered 10k in February?  

*Waves* to everyone and gets back to work.

#44 TanyaMM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

Hi All,

Jenayds - yes we will have to meet for sure

Ozekid - We have rented a serviced apartment for 2 months. The first thing I am doing when I get there is buy a car so then apartment hunting and juggling the 3 trips to school per day will be much easier. The school is only a small school so there is no school bus.

NIS - well a few reasons. One is Ridgebacks very, very positive experiences. Secondly, they are based on the European sysyem which has the children starting school 12months later than the schools based on the British system and as we had held Luke back here for 12months and with the school years 6 months different this was a problem. They have a maximum of 15 in a class which for a quiet child like Luke is fantastic. His teacher here was very worried as he was tending to get lost in a class of only 25 so she was very excited to hear that his class will be only 15. Lastly, the values of the school are very similar to the values of his school here (partly why we chose the school here). Originally AISHK was our first preference but of course places in Reception and grade 1 are non existent so getting a palce was also a factor.

Getting a car is exciting! I am also looking forward to discovering different parts of HK with the car.

Jane01 - How exciting. It all sounds like it is happening for you back in OZ. How exciting building a new house. It will make it all seem like it is actually happening.

Rach - Hope little Jack is going well. Can't wait for a cuddle. I will have a question for Matt about Cricket. Can you believe Luke want's to play cricket! Anyway will wait till we get there to worry about that one!

Was very sad as our one of our cars went today. Sold it to my Uncle so went to a good home. We have had this car for 9 years and it was a lovely car. Anyway, I am seriously procrastinating at the moment so must get back to it! Hope all are well and keeping warm.

Tanya

#45 rachelemma

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the well wishes. Tanya, can't wait to have you back. You could always move in to our complex, cheap and big!

#46 FIFOMuminPerth

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Rachelemma, Congratulations on your new arrival! Gorgeous looking kids there.

Ladies, I've sorted school out for my first.

Now, found out that I'm preggers in HK.
Pretty scary thought as Matilda is really too far away from where we live.
I have organised a meeting with one of the OBs who deliver there but would like to know if anyone has had any experience with delivering at a hospital on the Kowloon side. Or know of anyone who has had such an experience.
Otherwise, we'll have to cough up the $120 000 HKD, bite the bullet and do the hour drive to Matilda!
Public system looks even scarier. So it's not one of my preferred options.

Thanks.

#47 rachelemma

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

I'll send you my email address. I've had all of my kids in public hospitals here.

#48 rachelemma

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:32 AM

Congratulations on your pregnancy. How exciting!

#49 Jane01

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:17 PM

WW - Congratulations !

I had my two girls at Matilda and I live in Discovery Bay, so bus/ferry/taxi whilst in labour twice (about 1.5 hours all up).  It was fine.  First time I was worried about whether I'd get there in time - I did with about 5 (?) hours to spare, lol.  The second time I was much more relaxed and even allowed DH to eat lunch before we left.  #2 was born less than 1 hour after we arrived at Matilda and I should have rushed a bit more to get my epi.  The midwife actually said that if I had another baby, it would be a home birth, as the baby would come quickly.  Yet another good reason for me to stop at #2.  But overall, the travel time does not concern me.  

The Matilda is great, I probably don't need to sell it to you.  There are cheaper options than what you quote if you share a ward with 3 others.  Alternatively, it could turn out to be a lot more expensive if you or the baby need a longer stay.  

A common plan for expats is to deliver in a public hospital but have all your pre-natal checks done by a private OB.  You pay for them yourself, but they can give a lot of reassurance, especially for mums who are new to HK.  

Which hospitals are you referring to on Kowloon side?  I think it is the Baptist Hospital that has a 90% c-section rate?  I'm not anti c/s but that seems to be a little higher than normal and if I did want a normal delivery, I'd be concerned that the OBs and midwives didn't have enough experience.  

For public hospitals, I would only go to one of the very big ones.  Rachel's story of her first labour with no epi scared me.  Apparently they only schedule Aneths Mon-Fri, but of course babies do arrive outside office hours.  If you are a totally natural girl, this would not concern you.  Personally I'm all for doing it if it doesn't hurt.  

Good luck !

#50 FIFOMuminPerth

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:00 PM

Jane01 and Rachelmama

Thanks for your responses!

I'm more scared stiff than anything else.
I'm spotting - lightly and have had to go on medical leave until further notice.
I saw Dr. Ghosh and was not impressed - poor bedside manners... given the cost, I expected more! Long waiting time was expected. But his blaze been there done that attitude was not appreciated. However, as I understand it, he's one of the doctors that will surely get a bed at Matilda.

We are thinking of the Matilda route but also considering Baptist and Union. But if their C-section rate is so high, that'd probably be out too. Gosh! I wish we were back home today! Also, I heard that the hospitals are swamped with mainlanders and I don't think I could handle their social norms. Matilda will cost us about $60000 though as my insurance only covers $60000. But I'm thinking again... it might be worth the pennies. Totally nervous about the spotting and overall general lack of care here.

I'm thinking of another obgyn. Tried to find someone trained in Australia but almost impossible! Trying my best not to fret!

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.