Norwest Private Hospital
Anyone been? Reviews??

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Fifi

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:38 AM

smile1.gif Hi

Has anyone already been or are booked into the new Norwest Private in Bella Vista?

I am booked in there for December but haven't been for my hospital tour there yet. A few ladies in the obs were talking about it the other day and said they were really strict on visiting for siblings etc.

Just wanted to hear some opinions from people who have already given birth there.

Thanks!

#2 kaboo

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

I am booked in and haven't had a tour yet. However, I was in the labour ward the other day to have my Anti-D shot and saw inside a delivery room. The room was quite big with an ensuite (didn't see inside that) and everything is (obviously) new. There was a recliner chair and two chairs and a table.

The labour ward seems pretty big, not sure how many rooms they have. I had to buzz in to go inside.

Parking is a million times better than the old hospital, although you do pay for it. It starts at $1 for 1/2 hour.

One strange thing (to me) is that they haven't diverted their old phone numbers. I only had the number for the old labour ward and so had to ring reception to get the labour ward number - glad I wasn't doing it at midnight in labour.

#3 QueenOfTheDesert

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Fifi @ 03/10/2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smile1.gif Hi

Has anyone already been or are booked into the new Norwest Private in Bella Vista?

I am booked in there for December but haven't been for my hospital tour there yet. A few ladies in the obs were talking about it the other day and said they were really strict on visiting for siblings etc.

Just wanted to hear some opinions from people who have already given birth there.

Thanks!

I heard they were strict at The Hills Private when Maternity used to be there. I wonder whether all staff have just transferred from one hospital to the other as the services also transferred across. If this is so, then their policies are probably exactly the same.

QUOTE (kaboo @ 03/10/2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am booked in and haven't had a tour yet. However, I was in the labour ward the other day to have my Anti-D shot and saw inside a delivery room. The room was quite big with an ensuite (didn't see inside that) and everything is (obviously) new. There was a recliner chair and two chairs and a table.

The labour ward seems pretty big, not sure how many rooms they have. I had to buzz in to go inside.

Parking is a million times better than the old hospital, although you do pay for it. It starts at $1 for 1/2 hour.

One strange thing (to me) is that they haven't diverted their old phone numbers. I only had the number for the old labour ward and so had to ring reception to get the labour ward number - glad I wasn't doing it at midnight in labour.

The phone numbers haven't transferred across because The Hills Private still exists. It is going to be a rehabilitation hospital now.

Im also very interested in hearing reviews about this hospital. Its one of the few private hospitals in our area, so would like to hear if people are having good experiences or not.

#4 Fifi

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:50 AM

smile1.gif Thanks ladies

We have moved here recently and I gave birth to my two DS' in Port Macquarie where we knew our obstetrician really well and knew what to expect.

It is hard hearing different things and making choices. I guess each hospital is similar in Sydney though. I will have to wait and see. Am thinking of doing my tour next weekend so will have a look then.

Anyone else please feel free to give opinions...

kaboo-I am pretty sure they gave me the new number  when I booked in but will go and check now just in case!!!

#5 Camster

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:13 PM

I'll be there in about 5 weeks biggrin.gif all going well. We went on the tour this weekend and it is very nice. There is still some work being finished but the rooms are nice with a fridge and a safe. The have only one shared room and all the rest are private. The delivery rooms were nice and spacious with 4 of them having full bathrooms with bathtubs and 2 with just showers.

The nursery looks lovely and there is a central courtyard area where you can go with bub and visitors if the weather is nice. Their visiting hours have now been restricted to afternoon. Family and siblings can visit in the morning but there are no children allowed during rest time 12-3pm. Supposedly they are bringing in a swipe card system and the unit will be in permanent lockdown except for visiting hours.

Parking was good and reasonably priced. A full day is only $11 but there is also street parking if you prefer.

I can't tell you what it is like to actually stay there but I did ask one Mum as they were leaving with their newborn if it had been a nice stay. She said it was lovely. All the maternity staff are in the new hospital and seem very happy.

#6 asiltheangel

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

thankyou for posting, its great to hear some reviews.

can i just ask, for those who have or are planning to deliver at Norwest, who is the OB you are seeing and are booked under?
I plan to see B.Brown, but jsut wanted your expiriences thus far.

looking forward to seeing the new hospital, visiting a friend there very soon.

#7 Camster

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:39 PM

Asiltheangel - I'm seeing B Brown. I'm very happy with him.

#8 Fifi

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

Thanks ladies!

That sounds like a better  scenario for siblings than I had been told. I was told they weren't allowed in at all in the mornings but sounds like that was wrong. They did say that there were so many people on their tour that it was really hard to hear anything!!

Good luck Camster. You'll be there three weeks before me. Let me know what you think after bubs!!!

Edited by lucky 2, 05 June 2013 - 10:22 PM.
r/o comment about a specific OB

#9 Camster

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

Fifi - I thought they were allowed but just not in rest time. Well I hope that is the case!

#10 luckykel479

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

I had my DD there on Sept 22nd and it was great. She was delivered via emergency c-section and in special care for all but my last night there. All the midwives and nurses were great - even coming to see me to fill in any blanks and answer any questions I had after I was put under GA.

The rooms are lovely, and the food was better than at the Hills.

Funnily enough I heard nothing about the move to the new hospital, phone numbers etc until after I was home and that was only 4 days before I was due! Luckily I had the new phone numbers from my OB.

FYI - Labour ward numbers are 8882 8596; 8882 8591 ; General Reception is 8882 8882

DS was able to visit except during rest time (where the external doors are now closed except for swipe card access) and was even able to see DD in special care.

#11 Fifi

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

smile1.gif Thanks so much LuckyKel!

A little bit of info is great! Hope your DD is doing well and thanks for the numbers!

#12 MelRaLi

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:40 AM

A few ladies in the obs were talking about it the other day and said they were really strict on visiting for siblings etc.

I birthed at the old Hills private, but basically all the midwives have transfereed over.  Hills private in general are VERY strict on visitors in general.  However, I never had any issues with my DH / DD visiting or staying longer than visiting hours (except in rest hour which they prefer husbands to leave as well)

The room was quite big with an ensuite (didn't see inside that) and everything is (obviously) new. There was a recliner chair and two chairs and a table.

This was the case with the old delivery suites as well.  Same furniture, although I assume its new furtniture for the new hospital.

For those who are deliverying there I'd highly reccomend going to / listening the talks that Helen Bracken gives.. She's really a great resource for the hospital.

was told they weren't allowed in at all in the mornings but sounds like that was wrong.

this is definately wrong.. DD was allowed in from the 10am visiting hours.

#13 nessiebessie

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

Just had my first baby at Norwest Private by C Section and i will NEVER go back there again. Whilst the surroundings of a NEW hospital is lovely majority of the nurses and midwives don’t like the new hospital and they don’t mind telling you this, it also reflects on the bedside manner.
Whilst i can appreciate a few teething problems being NEW there were COUNTLESS issues and problems incurred on my 6 night stay.
They are very strict on visiting hours which is something i agree with and don’t have a problem with the car parking is HEAPS better than the hills yet service etc is RAELLY bad and in many respects i would have been better in public care. I had a spinal block for my epidural once i was returned back to my room and the nurse trying to administer pain relief through the epidural there was a blockage...i had 3 nurses surrounding the bed trying to work out a new machine for 45 minutes then  whilst all this was going on a midwife brought my baby into me to try and breast feed straight away even though i still had no pain relief the 3 midwives hovering over me and my poor baby screaming due to the midwifes rough handling. God help you if you if you cant breast feed for any reason they are pro breast feeding and in an ideal world most mothers would love to be able to do this however they made several comments and didn’t want to help me continue to try to breast feed my baby i was told “i’m flogging a dead horse” as i have flat nipples. The food was appalling on 2 mornings i was served cereal with no milk, cold burnt toast and even had a couple of meals with no cutlery. The cleaners were nicer than any of the staff!  I could go on and on about how disappointed we were and have even made a complaint to the health commission about  my treatment and lack of care. On my last morning a midwife stormed into the room at 7am took my baby and said that the paediatrician is here if you want to here what the Dr has to say then you better follow me now! I was furious at this as she didn’t even knock on the door and i asked the day before what the discharge procedure is and all i was told is that aim to leave by 10.30am go to the nursery to collect baby’s blue book and that’s about it......that was far from it everything was a disaster even my family and friends thought what they witnessed whilst they were visiting was bad!

The only good thing is that I’m now at home enjoying my beautiful baby!

#14 Fifi

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:12 PM

ohmy.gif Ahhh! Nessiebessie! That sounds like  a terrible stay!

You poor thing!

My friend had her baby there on Friday so will see what she has to say as well. You've got me scared now!!!

#15 :-monkeymum-:

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

I was waiting for some reviews as this is where I am going, DD was at the Old Hills and I loved it.

nessiebessie you poor thing ! but thank you for your honesty.

I have done a tour and also found
majority of the nurses and midwives don’t like the new hospital and they don’t mind telling you this
which was a bit off putting.

swipe card system and the unit will be in permanent lockdown except for visiting hours.
laughing2.gif i wont mind this, it will stop my MIL and other overbearing people coming to vist laughing2.gif but the nurse on Tour said that DP and kids can basically come anytime except rest time 12 - 3pm ?, but with DD, DP and the 3 Step Kids came to see me during rest time, but well see..

1 thing I did notice during my tour was the Nursery appeared very small compared to the previous, less chairs / space to feed ect, which is a bit of a concern, it you have alot of women at the same time, unless they are letting you feed in your room if you can ???

I saw inside the Ensuite of the Labour Suite and it is much bigger and better than the Old !!!

Look forward to more reviews from people that have been there.  My OB thinks it's great.

#16 MelRaLi

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:53 AM

majority of the nurses and midwives don’t like the new hospital and they don’t mind telling you this

thats interesting because when I was at the old HIlls private in Jan with DS they were all looking forward to it.

#17 nessiebessie

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:26 AM

thats interesting because when I was at the old HIlls private in Jan with DS they were all looking forward to it.

that might have been the case prior to the move BUT right now they are not enjoying it as they find it to big and they7 have said that they dint know where anything is and there is lots that is not completed. they suggested that the hospital had opened to early as system’s still are not in place. this i totally agree with as it reflected on my entire stay and recovery! Not to mention that they are short staffed and majority of the ward nurses were having to do double shifts, were crabby and tired and had a bad bedside manor attitude!

#18 MelRaLi

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

that might have been the case prior to the move BUT right now they are not enjoying it as they find it to big and they7 have said that they dint know where anything is and there is lots that is not completed. they suggested that the hospital had opened to early as system’s still are not in place. this i totally agree with as it reflected on my entire stay and recovery! Not to mention that they are short staffed and majority of the ward nurses were having to do double shifts, were crabby and tired and had a bad bedside manor attitude!

What a shame.. Because at the old hospital they were really friendly and helpful.  I also found it interesting that you said that the cleaning staff were the friendliest as when I was at the OLD hospital I barely saw the cleaning staff and noticed a huge difference in the standards of cleaning from DD to DS (Was significantly worse with DS where as DD was awesome).

#19 Guest_~Bumble*Bee~_*

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for this thread, it's my local private hospital also & I'm looking at going there when our time comes. I guess there will be a few teething problems while the hospital is new & the staff are getting used to their new sorroundings.

In every hospital there are problems & every woman will have a different experience. I know of a lady who had a baby at Westmead private & was permanently damaged, but then another who had her baby there & if they hadn't been so good, her baby may have died.

I recommend you find out which other hospitals your obs delivers at, mine is at Norwest, Blacktown, Westmead & Westmead private.. Ask your doctor where they recommend. They should be honest with you if you explain your fears etc.

#20 metime

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

I haven't had a baby there even though it is my local but many of my friends have (at the old one).  I find it bizarre that they didn't let you feed your baby in your own room at the old Hills and am curious if they let you at the new one.  I have had one friend who had a catheter in for a few days following her delivery and they made her drag it (her bag of wee) and her baby to the nursery every two hours or so to feed, it was beyond rediculous.

A friend recently had a bub at Westmead Private and I was very very impressed with the care she received and how lovely the rooms are, parking is a nightmare but you can't have everything.

I personally love Hawkesbury and would go back there in a heartbeat if I was ever going to have anymore.

Edited by fishyfishy, 15 October 2009 - 12:43 PM.

#21 MelRaLi

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

I think the reason they don't "let" you feed in your room is so that if you are BF they can make sure that you are attaching correctly etc.. I was allowed to feed in my room once feeding was established.

If you are FF I dare say its so they teach you correct cleaning for bottles etc.

#22 YvetteE

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:04 PM

I haven't got any experience with the new hospital (sorry!) but had my three in the old one.

In regards to visiting, they have always been quite strict with it and there isn't a lot of time set aside for visitors but I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing.  It sounds as though the same visiting policy is in place.

In regards to feeding in my room, I was allowed to if I wanted to.  I usually went to the nursery simply because I liked the company and I found the midwives lovely to talk to, especially during those nights where all you seem to do is feed!  I found being in my room I would get overwhelmed and teary but in the nursery I had a support team around me - it was lovely!  However, I still did feed in my room when I felt like it and no-one had an issue with this.  And although they promoted breastfeeding (which I personally think is a good thing) those mothers who were insistent that they didn't want to breastfeed, were offered all the help needed in order to get bottle feeding under way.  I found though that you needed to be quite firm in your opinions but if you were, they would respect your decision.

I think often the problem is that we don't often stick up for ourselves in a new environment.  I know with my first I was quite nervous about everything, by the third baby I made myself right at home and really enjoyed my brief stay.  

It does sound like the nursing staff are still getting used to the new hospital and this is causing some angst.  I'm sure with time it will sort itself out.  Change is always difficult.

I think on the whole the staff were wonderful and if they are the same then in time it will go back to being wonderful.  

Good luck!

#23 father2b

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

We're booked in to Norwest Private in April. After doing the tour we both found that it was a bit disorganised and a bit unfinished, so I'm not surprised that the staff are a bit annoyed at the facilities at the moment.

Luckily, by the time DP is in there all the kinks should be ironed out.

#24 illusion

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

Glad I stumbled across this tread. I my girls at the old hills & loved everything there!!! I was/am really looking forward to going to the new one to have my third (whenever that maybe).

Re the feeding, DD1 was prem so all feeding was done in SCN, but with DD2 they asked me to come down to the nursery feed the first few days but once attachment etc. was all sorted, I could & would feed anywhere, but like PP, I liked to company of the other girls/staff during the night so I continued to go down there. I also found they were very supportive regarding any decision I made for me/baby.

I can imagine that some are complaining after all change does take time and how long have to been at the old Hills, where they knew where everything was  & how everything worked, perhaps the powers that be should of held off opening the new hospital until all staff had a good handle on everything.

Anyway, hopefully by the time I need to go there they would have sorted out their teething problems & I can look forward to seeing their familiar faces again.

illusion

#25 nessiebessie

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT HONESTY IS THE ONLY WAY!

Come to think of it as my husband has mentioned the first question we were asked by the hospitals paediatrician was if we were first timers which than followed by did you have a Caesar. These questions took place in my own private room after my recovery whilst my child was in there nursery being weighed and at no stage had I seen my baby at that point. My husband was present on this conversation updating me on my child from the nursery.

Very basic questions or he could and should of I guess checked paper work from the surgery department/room or our OB, but obviously didn’t and to me seemed to be in a hurry in finding out the answers.

What followed from that point makes sense in a way that is a major concern to our family and any other future patients within NORWEST PRIVATE HOSPITAL, especially if you have a Caesar or difficulties during labour or birth.

We have already received a bill from the hospital to pay for ‘Special Care’ our baby so called required. This is an extra $500 excess for Special Care separate from the excess required to be paid before admission which was clearly paid and receipts produced if needed but luckily there system showed that this admission fee was paid. At no stage did our baby need or require any assistance for survival, my husband was with him after I got wheeled into the recovery room from surgery which is standard procedure after  a Caesar or any other major surgery.

My husband was allowed to wheel our baby from the surgery room to the nursery to get cleaned, weighed and put under a heater which is again all Standard PROCEDURE. My husband was with him at all times until I got wheeled into my private room where he came in to checked on me and advise me that our child was still in the nursery and doing fine and that they were quite busy and that I was in heaps of pain and the best option was to wait for my pain relief to kick in.

From my previous post with the dramas of the pain relief my husband and only my husband was advised by the paediatrician and several midwifes  that the best option for our baby and myself was too rest the night off and that your baby will be with you in the morning. My husband disagreed and asked for the baby to be given to me immediately which was granted and when this happened three nurses came into our private suite and attempted to breast feed an administer pain relief immediately but given the pain I was in and the dramas mention previously my baby was whisked away and we were advised that the baby will be in the nursery under capable hands and that I needed to get more relief and rest.

My husband saw our child on his way out of the hospital in the disorganised nursery and took many photos and videos for our relatives who were waiting on news outside showing our baby happily asleep with absolutely no assistance, tubes, humidicribs or any other special equipment around him. This was also the case 5 hours after my husband arrived back at the hospital and also confirmed by several nurses and midwifes that nothing was needed and he slept and cried when food was required as per usual with babies. After that my husband was allowed to wheel our baby in our suite for the rest of our stay and the only time we had to go back into the nursery was for feeding which is another novel I can write if need be.

My point here is that we have been advised according to the invoice from this hospital that our child was in special care from the minute he was born for four days and on the fifth day he was checked into our room. When we questioned the administration staff at Norwest they advised to take it up with our insurer MBF.
The hospital is 70 percent complete with many concrete rooms. The coffee shop is a disgrace with absolutely no ventilation in the store. The shop is on the third floor and all windows in the hospital do not open. This is a OH&S issue perhaps.
We hope that staff or even doctors read these forums and raise their eyebrows as quite frankly it is an embarrassment to the paying public to receive a service like this.
My list continues with asking for pain relief after discharge being advised to go to a chemist my husband staying at the hospital and not getting fed and on a smaller note we were advised that during our stay we would get three hours if we gave consent of course on a date night to go out to dinner while our baby was taken care of in the nursery this was stated to us in educational classes taken at the Hospital prior to admission and was mentioned by two midwifes that came in to change the linen on the morning of our fifth night that tonight was the night for your date. Unfortunately this did not occur as normal dinner got wheeled in and no explanation or apology was given. The list goes on and on................

We can only hope no one else gets treated like this and question why open a Hospital that is not complete.

If anyone would like to know further details on our experience please PM me and BTW my husband wrote this whilst I am feeding my little one  original.gif

Edited by lucky 2, 05 June 2013 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.