Norwest Private Hospital
Anyone been? Reviews??

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#26 illusion

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

Sorry that you have had a really rough time, it seems a world away from my experience, however I thought I would just add.

RE the Special Care Excess, unless things have changes dramatically since 06, I am unsure why you would get a bill from the hospital for 'Special Care' from my experience (DD1 was prem) once you are in SCN the baby then becomes a patient of the hospital i.e. admitted. DD1 was in for 3 weeks and I did not receive any bill from the hospital or Paed who saw her every day, this was all covered by my PHI (MBF), I did not have to pay a cent for her, my excess yes, but DD no.

With regard to your issues with the Paed, I am unsure what you are upset over, is it the Paed not looking at your history/status prior to seeing you? I am not trying to undermine your feelings etc. I am just not getting what the problem was/is.

I would be chasing up the special care stuff as it seems a little odd to me, in the mean time enjoy all of those newborn cuddles.

#27 wingnz

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

I haven't been to the new hospital but had both my DD and DS at the old Hills Private.  I thought all of the staff were great.  

Nessiebessie: I was charged a $200 excess for my DS as he was in special care for half a day so it is not something new happening at Norwest.. However it sounds like a mistake has been made if your baby was never even admitted to special care.. Can you get a copy of your babys records to see what they say?

Also with the dinner out thing.. To me this sounds like a misunderstanding.. When I had my DD they also told me that we could leave her in the nursery while we went out for a few hours.  We told them we would like to do it and when the time came I simply wheeled her into the nursery and talked to the midwifes on duty about when we would be back.. My normal hospital dinner was still delivered as there was no way the catering staff would have known I was not going to be there.  I imagine not everyone takes them up on the offer (we didn't with DS) so they probably just assumed you no longer wanted to do it.  Just the way I read your post sounds like your hospital dinner arrived so you thought that meant your night out wasn't happening??  Sorry if I have misunderstood that.

I was told by the midwifes when I was in with DS that they needed to see me feed him once per shift so that they could mark off the questions on his paperwork (q's like 'Baby Attaching correctly?', 'Baby passed urine, bowel movements' etc etc). They had no problem with me doing all feeds in my room and told me they could come to my room if I wanted rather than me going down to the nursery.    With DD as she was my first I did probably 90% of the feeds in the nursery.  With DS it was more like 10%.

#28 Fifi

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

original.gif Hi ladies (and Nessiebessie's DH)

Thanks for all the responses. We had our tour yesterday. I am pretty sure the staff had been reading this thread as the midwife leading the tour said several times how much the staff enjoyed working there!

We thought it was pretty good. The tour was more organised than we had been told so maybe they are starting to streamline it a bit. The hospital looked great, although the well baby nursery did scare us a bit, as when we looked through the window there seemed to be a room full of VERY tired looking parents! LOL

Nessiebessie - Sorry to hear about your stay. It sounds like the system derailed big time for you! Oh by the way, the cafeteria now has ventilation - a huge silver airconditioning tube! I only know because I was soooo hot I had to go and stand right in front of it!!!

Anyway, thanks again everyone. I will know a few things to look out for now!

#29 nessiebessie

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:45 PM

The paediatrician is the only doctor that checks on your baby whilst your stay in the hospital apart from the Midwifes and Nurses and he in this case calls the shots when needed for your Baby. The OB might congratulate you and do the initial check in the surgery room BUT my point is that the paed should have checked paper work prior to asking the questions. He should have confirmed the answers he had in front of him.

Take care when visiting Norwest Private Hospital for now as it is a hazard in our books.
sad.gif

Edited by lucky 2, 05 June 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#30 wingnz

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:00 AM

Nessiebessie- there is more than one pediatrician that works at Norwest. In my case my OB organised which pediatrician. This was in our paperwork from our OB from our first appointment. We were asked by the midwife after each delivery if we wanted to go with the pediatrician our OB had down or someone else.

#31 Camster

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

NessieBessie - Oh dear! That sounds awful sad.gif. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I'm hoping in a few weeks they will know how everything works and where things are for our stay. I know the staff were looking forward to the new place but I guess there must be so many changes. How awful to get that bill! I'll be watching for that one definitely! I even checked with my healthfund last week to make sure we wouldn't be up for anything more. I would take ring your health fund and let them deal with it. As for your husband's food, I thought they were given breakfast if they stayed overnight ($85 per night) and you could organise to pay for additional meals at the hospital reception if you wanted them. The paediatrician thing has confused me. Did you get allocated yours or did you request him? I might ring ours now and check that he is working there. Sorry for the questions as I'll be there very soon and want to make sure I'm prepared!!!

Fishfishy - For first time Mums they like you to go to the nursery for feeds so they can help you as much as possible. I have been told that for the second they like you to go to the nursery for the first 2-3 days and then you can stay in your room when you feel confident.

Fifi - Glad your tour was more organised. I suspected ours was simply due to the place being so new and everyone needing to get a quick look who was due in the next little while.

#32 jazzmin

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:10 AM

I find it bizarre that they didn't let you feed your baby in your own room at the old Hills and am curious if they let you at the new one.

I rarely fed DS in the nursery wen I had him at Hills Private last November. maybe 3 times during the whole 6 days!

Despite the teething problems the hospital seems to be having, I will go back for my 2nd child whenever that happens! I found the staff to be wonderful and hopefully once things settle down things will improve.

Not taking away from what you suffered nessiebessie, which sounds awful, but everyone has different experiences no matter which hospital they go to, and mine was fabulous the first time so I will take my chances and go back - plus I love my OB!

Looking forward to hearing more stories as more women deliver there.

Edited by lucky 2, 05 June 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#33 luckykel479

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:20 PM

Nessie I'm sorry you had such a negative experience but mine really was the complete opposite even though I had a traumatic birth.

DD was in special care for the majority of my stay hence the excess we paid for PHI - all other costs were covered as an inpatient expense - paed, pathology etc.

We were told the 'dinner out' option was still available (this was only a month ago) but due to DD being in special care we chose not to take it up - I do know other people did - and unless you don't fill in the menu, catering will still bring you dinner as you are still a patient.

The feeding in room vs nursery debate does have a lot to do with nurses being able to assist with correct attachment etc and there is certainly the option to feed in your room.

With regards to the cafe, I was told this is really only a temporary option until someone takes up the lease downstairs (in one of the empty concrete rooms) - TBH I think this would be the least of my worries!

If we decide to extend our family I wouldn't hesitate to go back there.

Edited by lucky 2, 05 June 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#34 SophOli

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Nessiebessie - So sorry to read about your experience at the hospital.  

I was just wondering if you had spoken to the hospital about your concerns with respect to the treatment/care?

#35 provocateur

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

Hi All
I am due to have my second baby there in Jan, just wondering if formula/bottles/sterilising is all provided, or is this something i will need to bring myself?
Thanks
prov  biggrin.gif

#36 illusion

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

Provocateur, it was provided both times for me, however that was in 2006 & 2007. Maybe just give them a call to doube check.

Edited by illusion, 26 October 2009 - 01:25 PM.

#37 Rachaelchircop

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

hi,

I'm due to have my baby there is dec I'v just finished the antenatal class with midwife lyn and she was wonderful, my ob is dr bell he is fantastic, the midwifes there are great i have had a couple of scares and they just tell me to come in and moniter me which calms me down alot.

the hospital is so nice you almost wanna be admitted lol

anyway i guess you will get my full review when i actually go to the ward with my baby oh and the free breastfeeding class was very good too !!

i hope everyone is doing well with there pregnancies

kind regards rachael

#38 Fifi

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

original.gif hi Rachael! We may be in at the same time. I am going in on the first week of December. We didn't do antenatal classes as it is our 3rd child and has to be a caesarean  so pretty straightforward - hopefully!!

Good luck!  original.gif

Edited by Fifi, 30 October 2009 - 07:15 PM.

#39 asiltheangel

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

Just a little of topic, but what sort of labor/birthing options do they offer at the new Norwest?

#40 Guest_~Bumble*Bee~_*

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:20 AM

I'm sorry asiltheangel, I don't know what birthing options they offer. As you know, I work in a public hospital (though not an RM) & we only offer regular VB & Cesar- maybe because Norwest is private they may offer water birth etc. I'm interested to know now myself!

Edited by lucky 2, 05 June 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#41 Camster

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

Asil - Not sure on the water birth. I suspect they probably don't offer that as the bathtubs really don't look like they would be any good for it.

Good to hear some more reviews. I'm looking forward to my visit in the next week or so. I'll come back and update you all then.

Edited by lucky 2, 05 June 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#42 Jodjo

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE (Fifi @ 14/10/2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ohmy.gif Ahhh! Nessiebessie! That sounds like  a terrible stay!

You poor thing!

My friend had her baby there on Friday so will see what she has to say as well. You've got me scared now!!!

Hi Fifi.
I would like to respond to you message re norwest private, a different view to nessiebessie.
I have had 2 babies at the hills private(now norwest private) , as well as admitted to the maternity ward during my pregnancy for major sickness.i had 2 absolutely wonderful experiences there with my newborns. I found the nursing staff so wonderful, Yes they encourage breastfeeding and will do whatever they can to get this happening if thats what you choose to do. I had flat nipples, looked hopeless for feeding each time but they helped me get up a great milk supply and feed on a breastshield. On the other hand though, there were women around me during my stay who had chosen for various reasons to bottle feed their babies, and i saw great support given to these women because thats what they chose to do. ive also been given great support prior to bringing my babies home, if ever i need to ask a simple question or need advice the midwives have been more than willing to make suggestions or have me come in with my baby. Also the food was great and my husband was also well supported as a new dad and was made to be involved wherever possible.
I have to say, i live on the central coast and there is no where up here i would go to have more babies. I have friends who have given birth at westmead and blacktown and have ended up in post natal depression as they werent even given breast feeding advice to start them off so ended up loosing any milk supply and never had that chance to feed their baby as they had planned. I have also heard endless stories of poor care in those places, including westmead private.but i guess theres always going to be the one off patients who feels theyve had a negative experience.
I Have had a friend a month ago who had her baby at norwest and couldnt say one negative thing.
i cant explain what happened with nessiebessie but im pretty sure it was negative feedback due to teething problems.
i say go for norwest private, i think you'll be very happy there! goodluck.

Edited by lucky 2, 05 June 2013 - 10:19 PM.
r/o comment about specific health professionals as per the forum rules

#43 Fifi

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

original.gif Hi Jodjo - thanks for the reply!

My friend had her baby there a few weeks ago now and she also said it was fantastic. SHe said the help and support were excellent. She had previously given birth in another hospital and had not had a lot of support so was pleasantly surprised when she rang the buzzer at Norwest and people came straight away. She also commented on the food and said it was delicious! That's a pretty good wrap for hospital food !

Anyway I have booked in and everything is set for our caesar there in four weeks. That is going to come around soooo fast!!

Thanks again!

#44 ~lemontart~

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

I have birthed 2 babies at the old Hills Private. As for birth/labour options its pretty much how you want to labour but I have felt bullied both times to get on the bed to deliver. Especially the second birth I would have been more than happy to stand and deliver (lol) but did as I was *told*

am due to have my second baby there in Jan, just wondering if formula/bottles/sterilising is all provided, or is this something i will need to bring myself?

everything was supplied when I was there, I cant imagine it being any different now. They also provide you with disposables

#45 asiltheangel

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:46 AM

A friend of mine had a CS there yesterday, so i cant wait to visit today sometime!!!!

A little litte Baby Girl!

Edit to update.....

From an asthethic point of view Norwest is lovely! my friend so far is very very happy, in fact bouncing around the room 1 day post CS! She is very happy with the care she and her baby is recieving and she is BF in her room. all of baby's needs are supplied at this stage too.

It is sooooooo busy!! looked like almost all rooms are occupied. There is also talk of them having a 1st class room, you pay extra for is but  i believe it will be a hotel style stay with champes and choccies an arrival. There will be a birthing room with limited intevention where you are encouraed to birth natrually both under construction at this stage. Cant wait to see that!

By the looks its very nice and it looks like the staff are very happy! Plenty of on street free parking or paid under cover parking. Cafe on level 3 as well, i didnt go up there i just saw the sign.

Great work so far norwest!

Edited by asiltheangel, 07 November 2009 - 05:23 AM.

#46 Guest_~Bumble*Bee~_*

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for your review asiltheangel. I think I'll definitely choose Norwest when my time comes.

Sorry I forgot to send you that pm I promised... please check your inbox.

The first class room sounds special. There was a sitcom where the mothers in labour were fighting over the first class room... I can't remember which show it was laughing2.gif

#47 Camster

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:57 PM

Well I'm back from my stay in Norwest. It was all pretty nice. Same staff and feeling in a new environment. There were a few little niggles (like food menus not being picked up etc) but they really weren't anything big. The change in visiting hours was very inconvenient. Not having morning visitors meant that quite a few people couldn't visit at all but once again that isn't a major thing in the end.

My time in the birthing room was very short and a bit of a haze but it was as I remembered in the tour.

My hospital room had a lovely view and the windows were so big that the room was so light and airy. We could feed in our rooms or the nursery. I chose the nursery while I could because of the company and when Emme was transferred to SCN I didn't have a choice. The staff were fabulous and helpful and it was lovely to see the same faces this time around.

All up, it was a great experience.

#48 2under2Mum

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

Hi Camster,

We must of been in the same time together, I was there from the 5th to the 9th of November. Were you in that time? Everything went well, couldn't wait to get home as I have a toddler at home.

QUOTE (Camster @ 16/11/2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My hospital room had a lovely view and the windows were so big that the room was so light and airy. We could feed in our rooms or the nursery. I chose the nursery while I could because of the company and when Emme was transferred to SCN I didn't have a choice. The staff were fabulous and helpful and it was lovely to see the same faces this time around.

All up, it was a great experience.

#49 FHC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (nessiebessie @ 13/10/2009, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just had my first baby at Norwest Private by C Section and i will NEVER go back there again. Whilst the surroundings of a NEW hospital is lovely majority of the nurses and midwives don’t like the new hospital and they don’t mind telling you this, it also reflects on the bedside manner.
Whilst i can appreciate a few teething problems being NEW there were COUNTLESS issues and problems incurred on my 6 night stay.
They are very strict on visiting hours which is something i agree with and don’t have a problem with the car parking is HEAPS better than the hills yet service etc is RAELLY bad and in many respects i would have been better in public care. I had a spinal block for my epidural once i was returned back to my room and the nurse trying to administer pain relief through the epidural there was a blockage...i had 3 nurses surrounding the bed trying to work out a new machine for 45 minutes then  whilst all this was going on a midwife brought my baby into me to try and breast feed straight away even though i still had no pain relief the 3 midwives hovering over me and my poor baby screaming due to the midwifes rough handling. God help you if you if you cant breast feed for any reason they are pro breast feeding and in an ideal world most mothers would love to be able to do this however they made several comments and didn’t want to help me continue to try to breast feed my baby i was told “i’m flogging a dead horse” as i have flat nipples. The food was appalling on 2 mornings i was served cereal with no milk, cold burnt toast and even had a couple of meals with no cutlery. The cleaners were nicer than any of the staff!  I could go on and on about how disappointed we were and have even made a complaint to the health commission about  my treatment and lack of care. On my last morning a midwife stormed into the room at 7am took my baby and said that the paediatrician is here if you want to here what the Dr has to say then you better follow me now! I was furious at this as she didn’t even knock on the door and i asked the day before what the discharge procedure is and all i was told is that aim to leave by 10.30am go to the nursery to collect baby’s blue book and that’s about it......that was far from it everything was a disaster even my family and friends thought what they witnessed whilst they were visiting was bad!

The only good thing is that I’m now at home enjoying my beautiful baby!

I would have to agree on everything you have said! My sister just had a baby at Norwest Private and I have never seen anything like it. I cannot believe how rude the staff are. Everyone says they are very strict - there's strict and then there's just plain rude!!! I know I won't be going there to have a baby that's for sure!!!

#50 eleven

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Hi,

I'm really surprised to read such negative reviews. I had my DS in January and couldn't really fault it. The meals are a bit bland but all hospitals are like that. My bub was in Special care for 10 days and the nurses were amazing. They run the nursery like a military operation, but if they didn't, he mightn't have come home. I'll be forever grateful for their care. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.