Do you have frozen embryos?
New 5 yr rule

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mummalovin

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:29 AM

HI

I thought maybe this would be the place to come where someone might understand.  Kind of a vent and "am I the only one" all in one post original.gif

I have been very lucky to become a Mum through IVF.  DH and I have 3 embryos on ice.  We have had them since the cycle which gave us DS and DD1 in 02.  We've been paying for storage and trying to figure out which way to go.  I knew I had until February next year to make a decision...........today I get a letter from our clinic about the new rules.  As our embryos have been in storage longer than 5 yrs we are required to "apply" by December  to keep them longer.  

I was a bit stunned, I didn't know this was going on.  Why should I have to "apply" to keep them in the freezer.  Who gets to tell me I can't and on what grounds?

So has anyone else received a letter like this?

#2 delta508

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

Hi

We also have two frosties in the freezer, but they were from a 2007 cycle so haven't yet reached the 5-year limit.  However, we have recently completed another stim cycle and in the paperwork for that, there is mention of the 5-year rule (with possibility of extension for another 5 years).  So rest assured you're not being singled out!  Not sure what their reasoning is; I would have thought that as long as people are prepared to pay for the storage, the clinics would be happy to do so (can't imagine embryos taking up that much space!  wink.gif )

#3 marleyandme

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:36 AM

Seriously??!!  As PP said, I would have thought they'd be happy to continue storing if the person was paying.  What clinic are you ladies with?  Or is this now considered fairly standard practice across the board?

#4 delta508

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

I'm with Monash IVF.

#5 Mummalovin

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

I've actually misplaced the letter in my mess at the moment (hhhmmmm not so subtle subconcious LOL)  but apparently this is a new rule coming in Jan 1st 2010.  

BTW I'm with Hunter IVF who are associated with Monash

#6 marleyandme

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hmmm, I'm with SIVF.  Am hoping to convince DH to try for our first FET early next year which will be 3.5 years - so I'll certainly make an enquiry with them then about this 'rule'.

cheers, M&M

#7 edison

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

We are with MIVF and were told about the 5 year rule when we first started there in 2005.

#8 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

We have three embryos on ice (from our first 2002 cycle where we were successful and subsequently have DS who is now 6) and I received the letter in March (as I do each year) asking whether we wished to continue storage.  Every year I always ring and say 'Yes' continue to store them and we have never received any request for payment.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think at time of cycle, we were told they would continue to store for 10 years without charge. I haven't got anything written down that confirms that memory, but it must be correct because as I said, we haven't been presented with a bill at all in the 7 years since.

We went with Westmead IVF in Sydney.

#9 Lokum

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

I'm not sure what the reason is, but in Victoria there's legislation stating they can't be stored for more than 5 years unless you apply for an extension.

#10 Mummalovin

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:41 AM

OK found the letter.

NSW Assisted Reproductive Technology Act 2007 comes into effect 1st January 2010.

Damn politicians and others sticking their nose into my reproduction.  Oh well I'll fill out the request and keep them a bit longer

We started IVF last century, 1998 and had our 1st success in 2002. 2nd in 2005 so all the changes have passed us by, well until now that is  unsure.gif

Edited by GeraniumQueen, 25 October 2009 - 10:20 PM.
removed sig

#11 ~bertie~

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:28 AM

I am with MIVF too and got told about the 5 year rule in our intial interview in 2007  original.gif

#12 The new me

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:03 AM

We are also with monash IVF - we were aware of the rule from the beggining (it is because of Vic legislation) - when our five years was up we just applied saying it was still our intention to have more children and it was approved.

We are now in the position that we may want to store our embryos for a further 5 years (which previously we would not have been allowed to do) which we discussed with one of the counsilors and she advised that Vic legislation has changed and that any applicaiton goes to a review committee within the clinic.  She discussed our situation with one of the people who makes the decisions and because of my age (32 when our next 5 years ends) that they would not have a problem extending.

#13 Nala05

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:34 AM

We are in NSW (IVF AUSTRALIA) and this rule was mentioned to us in 2005 when we froze our embryos. We have very lucky to be success from that batch resulting in our two DS. I called the clinic a few months back regarding the 5 year "limit". They just sent me out a new form to sign to get a 5 year extension. I had not heard of any new regulations (but like anything with infertility it would not surprise me!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.