Jump to content
Support Group for High Risk Pregnancies ~ # 3
54 replies to this topic
Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:14 AM
morning all! i havent had any of the complications you have theresa but i just wanted to say i hope things go well for you this time and that your next scan is clear xx
Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:46 PM
Theresa - that sounds awfully scary. I hope that everything goes smoothly this pregnancy for you. Good luck with the next appt.
AFM: my husband's just been transferred interstate so we have about 6 weeks to get the house ready for sale and move. We'll be going back to where our family are, so that's good, but I'm finding it really tough trying to sort everything out - cleaning, gardening, painting, organising repairs with my increasingly uncomfortable tummy, continuing morning sickness and trying not to go too far and cause another bleed. I'm not supposed to be doing any lifting or 'exercise' which is just impossible in the circumstances. I keep having nightmares about waking up bleeding and am just so tired all the time. And the 'no sex' rule isn't helping either of us. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by it all today. On top of it all I'm quite stressed about having to find a new obstetrician at this late stage! I don't even know if that's possible. And they won't know my history.
Plus my DD was enrolled for preschool next year, and now I find the state we're going to doesn't have preschool anymore! And she's too young by 2 weeks for prep. I know it will all be worth it when its done, but at the moment I'm quite stressed. I'm thinking I really chose the wrong year to get pregnant again. I just never thought I'd have problems, as silly as that sounds. I guess no one ever does until it happens.
Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:58 PM
munsy - what a awful time you have had. I guess it wouldnt be such a bad thing to be hospitalised, i just hope for you this bub can stick around and you get past 22 weeks this time.
36isnotoold - glad to hear your doppler went well. What kind of blood flow probs are you having?? I wouldnt imagine they are too serious if the docs are waiting till 28 weeks to check again. I am having my doppler on Wednesday. My papp-a was similar to yours .29 so I would not be surprised at all if I have a simialr result. Had a scan last week though and growth was 1 week ahead, so no issues of a small bub yet.
sparkly - hope you are doing ok, but dont over do it! No matter how much needs to be done...leave it to DH or just do little bits at a time. Can you get some of your medical records yourself to take to whatever OB you choose?
afm - quiet time here, been shopping alot! I waited till about 16 weeks before I bought even 1 little thing so I have had some catching up to do! Feeling lots of movements now, more like kicks. Belly is getting bigger, never been this big at 22 weeks! I have put on more weight this time too. With my first DS I put on 9kg for the whole pregnancy and lost 3.5kg with DS2. This time I have put on 6kg already!! I am hoping that this is a good sign and bubs will be big not IUGR!!!!!
Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:55 AM
I had my doppler test yesterday. Everything is fine, placenta is healthy and blood is flowing as normal. Doc does not expect any possible complications till after 32 weeks now. So I can relax for 8-9 weeks, then the monitoring & scans start!
Hope you are all well.
Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:58 AM
hi bluestar. glad your doppler went well! i had my OB appt yesterday and she said she doesnt expect any problems as its all on track so far. once i have a followup scan at 28 weeks, if nothings changed, i will be able to go on less frequent checks too.
Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:07 AM
just checking in to see how you are all going.......... have my 28 week scan and ob appt wed, went to gp today to get the results of my GT test so i had them to take with me, expecting nothing , only to be told i have high results and have to have further tests tomorrow. he would be surprised if i dont have it so thats one more thing to add to the list. oh well. could be worse i guess. hopefully the tests tomorrow come back ok
Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:41 PM
36isnotold: Good luck with the GD test tomorrow. Have you had to carb load (normally you have to carb load for several days prior). It's not a fun test from what I hear as you're there for hours!
I'm not looking forward to it myself (Ob not letting me take the 1hr test and instead have to go straight for the long one).
AFM: still waiting to hear whether our sample from Friday was big enough. Going in for a heart rate check via doppler on Wed.
Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:28 AM
hi earthangel. i had to fast before this one...... i normally eat alot of carbs anyway so im not sure if i have to do that one as well or not? they did say i would be there for several hours! hopefully your sample was enough and you dont have to go for amnio as well! once is enough . fingers crossed for you xx
Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:37 AM
36isnotold - I hope your scan went well. I guess you would be having the 2 hour GD test?? With DS1, I had high results, went on to the 2hr test and all was fine...so dont stress too much. I am interested to know what happens next for you...as I am just a few days behind you and our stories are very similar.
AFM - Had my GD test this week, just the 1 hr one. Will get the results at my next OB appointment on Thursday. I am supposed to start ultrasould monitoring at 32 weeks but as I am 32 weeks over Xmas/Boxing day week doc thinks it will be very hard to schedule a scan then. The following week I will be away, so if we put it off I wont be having a scan until 34 weeks!! Definately not comfortable with that! Hopefully I can get a scan at 31 weeks instead, will know at next weeks appt anyway.
I hope all of you high risk mummies are well and babies are growing fine!!
Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:07 PM
hi bluestar...... no GD for me! blood flow still going ok and bub is growing well so i am having another scan at 34 weeks, 6th jan. im allowed to go to my gp for the next month so i dont have to drive all the way to the city which is great. i would be asking for the scan earlier rather than later if i was you. hope all continues well xx
Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:38 PM
Just a quick pop in. Im now 30 weeks. Last week I was diagnosed with GD, so just another thing to add to the list! Have managed to keep my sugars under control since with diet so hopefully I wont need to go on insulin. Had a scan on Thursday too, everything was fine, blood flow was normal. Bubs is measuring a little bigger than average but not huge...which is nice to hear because my other 2 were IUGR. They have booked me in for my next scan at 36 weeks, im a little worried that this is too far away. DS was born at 37 weeks and almost died from oxygen restriction. Going to the GD clinic tomorrow and will ask the doc there.
36isnotold-good luck with your scan, glad to hear everything is going well.
Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:54 AM
hi bluestar, i hope they book you in a bit earlier for the next scan, even if it is just to ease your mind. let me know how you go xx
Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:49 AM
Hi girls wondering if I could join the group. I have a high risk pregnancy for several reasons I have diabetes, graves disease, lupus and a clotting disorder + added last week an incompetant cervix now with a cerclage (rescue cerclage in at 19 weeks).
Would love to get to know you all.
Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:36 AM
I hope your bubs are doing well.
ozbilby - Welcome & congrats you are half way there! Is this your first pregnancy? I guess you would be having lots of scans & appointments too.
36isnotold - how are you going? Any news yet? I ended up getting the scan only 1 week earlier, had it yesterday!
AFM - Well since my last post, I thought I had my GD under control. That only lasted & week till they put me on insulin injections But I am so used to it now, doesnt hurt either, the finger pricking hurts more.
Been having ctg monitoring every 3 days, everything is always perfect. Had my 35 week growth scan yesterday and the blood flow is slowing a little so doc wants to deliver in less than 2 weeks just to be on the safe side. I have to be admitted for 2 days prior to the c-sect for steriods, will be 36w 5d when bubs is born. Until then its still CTG monitoring & u/s every 3 days
Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:08 AM
i have been for a little while now since being in hospital and have found your posts so encouraging i thought i would write one and join in :-)
I have been diagnosed with Placenta Prevea, and didnt think too much of it at first. I have had c-sections in the past and thought well its not going to be too bad as i already need to have a ceasar regardless. Well last well at 28 weeks i had to be rushed to hospital due to bleeding and then during the week they thought i might be going in to labour but a scan showed that there was plenty of fluid around the bubs and he isnt in a hurry to come out. The bleeding subsided and i have been home again for the past 2 days. My ob is amazing and has said that each day is a step forward but if i do have a bleed even a tiny one or any fluid loss then i have to go straight back in, he expects that at some stage i will have to go in early but our aim is to deliver at 37-38 weeks.
Its been a nightmare, i have 4 young children, ages 9,7,5 & 4 and hubby has to look after them all the time (he is an amazing hubby!!) and i have been nice and strong for all of them but i cant help sometimes breaking down and feeling really lost.
Thanx all for listening :-) i really appreciate it. hope your all having a lovely day xoxo
Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:59 AM
Not sure if this is the right place for my question so please redirect me if there's somewhere more appropriate. I'm not really sure if my situation constitutes high risk pregnancy as I am only 8w4d My question is about testing,specifically cvs vs an amnio. I can explain more if I am in the right place.
Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:32 PM
Hope I've found the right buddy group for my situation - let me know if there's somewhere else I should be. I'm 13 wks pregnant with number 2 and had some antibodies to the K (kell) blood antigen show up in my blood test - which means I don't carry the antigen (ie I'm K-), but i've been exposed to it through giving birth to my first son (who we now know is K+ inherited from his dad) and my body has produced antibodies against it. Yesterday we got my partner's blood tests back which confirmed he is indeed K+. It looks like from the results he's actually homozygous K+ which if true means this bub definately is too. If anyone is good at interpreting phenotype results let me know and i'll run his results past you!
Basically this means ( assuming my GP is correct about my partner being homozygous and therefore guaranteeing that bub is K+) antibodies in my blood will (possibly already are) crossing the placenta and attacking the red blood cells of the baby, and actually interfering with the baby producing red blood cells in the bone marrow - really not good for bubs. It's similiar to Rh, but apparently there's no shot for it, so it's a lot more serious.
From the research I've done on the net (and we all know that the internet ALWAYS tells the truth, don't we...), best case scenario - we get monitored closely, bub doesn't get too anaemic, we most likely have to get induced or have a ceasar about 2 weeks before the bubs due date, and the bub probably comes out a bit anaemic and jaundiced and might need a blood transfusion and some time in the special care nursery under the lights for the jaundice.
Worst case scenario (other than bub not making it of course) is that bub does get too anaemic, we have to have some in utero blood transfusions, and bub has come out very early.
We had decided to have a private midwife for this pregnancy, but now of course we need an OB. I called an OB yesterday who specialises in high risk pregnancies and they're going to 'triage' us once they get my info from my GP and let us know if and when we can get in with her. So I have yet to talk to a medical professional who has a clue about this - it's pretty rare so my GP really didn't know much.
So anyone else out there with this or another blood antigen problem?
Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:32 AM
I don’t mean to intrude, not even sure if this is the right place to really post.
But I’m desperately looking for a hi risk ob in bris or sunshine coast area. Preferably one that has a good rep with cervical stitches (MacDonald clearge)
Ok bit of history
in 07 we feel pregnant with our daughter, I had had several miscarriages and a still born at 32weeks.
Beginning of pregnancy with Caitlyn was pretty rough lots of bleeding lots of nurses etc saying there’s no way you’re still preg etc so each time then sent me for an ultrasound and sure enough there was a little blip on the screen.
At 14weeks I changed gp's and he sent me straight to the ob at the hospital (we were in mt isa)
From then it was bad news well at the time I thought so
My cervix was shortening and membranes were bulging. I quit work and went on bed rest.
At 16 week I went back and my cervix was the around the same but in saying that I think he was saying it was only 2.5 cm??
The next day I felt a little weird and went to er to get check. My cervix was dilating and the ob told us it was up to us try the rescue stitch and I may still be pregnant next day or don’t and I will deliver with no chance.
I had a rescue stitch place under GA. I woke with pain and a mild temp etc so I stayed 5 days and then was sent home on really strict bed rest. I did nothing! Was in n out of hospital mainly because I snuck in the odd Gloria jean’s coffee and bub would be jumping around opps
At 26 weeks I went mt isa I think the ob was glad to see me go lol.
27 weeks I ended up in Bundy hospital after a morning of gentle shopping just feeling weird and pain in the top my legs. I was flown to RBWH and from then on I seen drs after drs and eventually made it to 30 weeks before they took my stitch and I delivered (apparently now I have 2 small tear on my cervix the ob and gp always commented on the smiley face shape sorry about TMI lol). Caitlyn stayed in special care in bris for 4 weeks and then in bundy special care for another 3 before coming home.
Anyway the whole reason for this long post is the ob I seen last year before I was pregnant just to discuss possibilities etc made the comment that if he was my ob last time he would not have put a rescue stitch in!!
He did say to me that he would consider a stitch early in preg however he doesn’t do it under GA just a local?? Does this sound odd?
I’m considering flying back to isa to see my old ob as much as I hated him at the time and thought he was awful n rude every dr we seen said he was the only reason I was still preg and we should be thanking him for our little girl. His stitch was tight and I was had pressure but now that I look back I’m glad it was so tight.
I’m open to anyone’s suggestions or ideas ob or just general hi risk preg etc.
Ps we are looking at the mater mothers for delivery or royal women’s
Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:02 PM
Hi im another oe who ist who is not sure if this i the right place to post this.
I had a 1/30 risk of ntd at 15wk blood test morphology scan showed bub appeared normal. Was told id have routine growth scans at 28, 32 and 36 wks cos of this.
At the 28 wk scan my fluid was 24.5 just over normal and was decided id have another scan in 2 weeks to cjeck fluid again.
My fluid levels at last scan last week was 26 anything over 24 is considereed "High".
My gp sent me to see an ob at the lyell mac today and i was in his room for about 5mins he checked fundal height and blood pressure bubs heartbeat and that was it. Said the fluid was nothing to worry about, cos bub looks fine on the scans.
Which is good, but wondering why one doc is concerned about it and another isnt?
Not sure what to think now.
My GT was normal and bubs is measuring normal size for dates.
Anyone else had high fluid b4?
My gp said it could mean premature labour or bub not swallowing properly.
Edited by babysaurs, 26 July 2010 - 04:08 PM.
Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:30 PM
babysaurs - I had high fluid before and my OB thought I was having a big baby, the 32 week scan which I insisted upon showed abnormalities which were not good. I won't go into the details but I was measuring about 5 weeks ahead basically because my son couldn't swallow.
If your scans are fine then in all likelihood your baby is okay. One thing I have learned is that I will never be scanned by someon who is not a trained Obstetrician with a Sonology qualification.
Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:47 AM
Not sure if anyone is still in this thread?
Just been told bubs has an echogenic lung lesion, will be testing on tues to determine the kind and severity. Been told i'll be having at least 2 weekly scans from now on though.As far as we know everything else is normal at this stage...
Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:41 PM
Hi, I am 20 weeks pregnant and have a VERY rare bone marrow disease. There are only 12 recorded cases of women with my disease being pregnant (worldwide) and so I am pretty much in uncharted territory.
Just wondering if anyone else is or has been pregnant with a very very rare disease and how they coped with the stress.
Also wondering whether anyone else out there has suffered anaphylaxis in pregnancy?
Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:25 PM
It looks like this thread is a little bit dead, but I was one of the original members and it was a great help at the time.
I have severe congenital heart defects (l-TGA) and have an implanted pacemaker. Various drugs and the pacemaker help me maintain a pretty good level of health, although I do have some leaking in my valve which will need to be replaced eventually.
I have one son, and my partner has two adult children (and a grand-daughter), and am now unexpectedly pregnant - 14 weeks. Last pregnancy was a massive planned stage show, with the WCH (Adelaide) deciding I was too high risk to be there and having to go to Flinders. The pregnancy went well for me cardiac wise, although I developed Obstetric Cholestasis at around 29 weeks and he arrived via c-section at 36w+3.
So, this time I'm hoping to stay at WCH for the duration due to the fact that I was fine heart wise last time, and apparently some of their procedures have changed. I'm frankly terrified of FMC, the experience last time was incredibly traumatic. I've seen somebody each week since 9 weeks, between the Ob, the medical Ob, my cardiologist and the high risk team.
Anybody else around?
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles