Removing surgical tape from c-section wound
how to do it wihtout pain?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 Luckyseven

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

I had that for my CS last year. As I peeled it off ever so slowly I had a tiny pair of nail scissors and as it would pull on each hair I would cut it off, worked really well!

#27 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

I was told to take mine off 7 days after my c-section.  I was so freaked about it though (and how much it was going to hurt!!), that I took it off 5 days afterwards.  That turned out to be a mistake, as my wound started bleeding  sad.gif.  I took mine off, very slowly, after a long warm shower.  That helped a lot  original.gif.

Good luck  original.gif

#28 BlueEyedBeauties

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:45 PM

I was told 7 days also.... This was too early... My wound hadnt healed fully in the centre.
So now I have a yucky thick scar right in the middle.. the rest you cant tell.

I would say to keep it on as long as you can over the 7 days.. even for just another week..
Give it time to heal fully IMO..

I would do as PP suggested and let it work itself off and just cut it down as it peels away.

#29 stacca

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

I had the clear tape and left it on 7 days, both times I took it off in the shower but it was damn painful. I remember with DS I got that dizzy from the pain that I had to sit down really quickly in the shower before I fainted... but in my rush to sit down dislodged a heavy glass jar full of moisturizer an it hit me in the forehead cutting my head open. Thankfully only a small cut but I basically had to sit in the shower dizzy, bleeding and in pain until DH thought to come and check on me (he was downstairs and could hear me crying).

So my advice is have someone nearby when you take it off... and no glass jars in the shower!!!

Anyhow, peeling a corner up and slowly pulling the tape in the opposite direction to what you wanted it to come off (so pulling it to the right if you want it to come off right to left) while using your other hand to press in your skin close to where your pulling to stop the skin from stretching too much was what I found to work the best.

#30 -*Ames*-

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

Well i did it. Took a good 2 hours of stress and careful peeling, plus I had some of those wipes that help with the stickiness. Even though they have alcohol in them it did not sting at all. So glad it is over, and I still think removing the sticky stuff is the WORST part of a c-section. Luckily this is my very last bub so never have to worry about it again!

#31 featherbaby

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:49 PM

good work!  You were very courageous, doing it in one hit over 2 hours!  Totally agree that's the worst part of the c-section experience - getting that tape off was an achievement!

#32 Dino-Mite

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

Glad that you got it off Ames.

After reading this thread I am glad that both OBS I have used have used invisible skin that will wear off and doesn't need to be removed.

#33 gfgirl

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:20 PM

can i just say that my doctor said that this tape was that stick/glued to my body that he said that he could save a fortune in repairing water leaks!

Mine did not come off after 12 weeks.   I was told to keep it on and it will come off by itself - my ass it did!  we tried medical wipes, nail remover, metho, baby oil, olive oil, lotions etc.  I even went to a waxing salon and the wax sat itself on top of the glue so when she waxed it off - i took the hair that wasn't attached to the glue off and the sticky stuff was still on.  this was after i soaked in the bath for over 2 hours in salt water to get it all wet and relaxed and my hubby got in the shower and got the cutters and he had to cut through the scab in order to take of the tape off.

In the end - i had to have gyno surgery so they took it off while i was under a general thank goodness.  they said it took them 20 minutes to carefully remove the left over glue which they informed me was like a second skin.  I did bleed in that area for a day or so on and off and also, the hair on my bits down there does not grow back as quick.  

makes you wonder why they use this stuff when it is so hard to get off.  my previous CS i didn't have any trouble whatsoever mind you they used a different tape.

#34 Mariamsmum

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

OMG gfgirl, what an ordeal!

I haven't had a c/s, but did have a classical incision to remove a fibrous tumour from my uterus and my OBGYN also used the clear tape on top of the staples. I had to have the staples removed 10days post op by a community nurse and that tape was stuck to my scar, the staples and my skin. It took 2 very painful hours by the nurse to remove it using a bottle of adhesive remover sad.gif

I have to have a c/s for my next baby due to my surgery and I am so not looking forward to the removal of the tape sad.gif

#35 K8B

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:12 PM

I had 3 steri strips and was told to leave them as long as possible until they started coming off themselves.  I eventually took them off after a shower.  Just took my time peeling slowly and it was fine.

#36 gfgirl

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

umm - i would be asking for anything but the tape!  from memory - i didn't have any first time round - it was just some padding then some tape which was removed before i left hospital.

#37 ****lisa****

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (tinkster23 @ 02/11/2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I only ever had a small dressing in hospital, that came off day 2-3, and nothing under that. original.gif

Yeah i didnt see it but felt the MW ripping it off both times.

It didnt hurt at all, i guess because it wasnt on long enough to grab and get sticky like they do.

#38 ~~nik~~

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:01 AM

I just took mine off in the shower by picking at the edgesafter rubbing soap into the area.  Not at all painful IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.