Grad Mums #34

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
153 replies to this topic

#51 darnie

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:44 PM

Kristen: I think even DH was a bit upset that Jess wasn't in a class with her special friends. This is DH who doesn't get upset about anything! laughing2.gif Perhaps Jess & N will become special friends hands.gif N is a lovely little girl. I always thought she was shy but she isn't! She and Erin get along very well. Probably because they are similar. N's family is lovely. I work with her Dad. I am glad you are happy with Mrs C. I got a very good feeling about Mrs B, also. She did all of that fussy stuff that tends to win me over wub.gif rolleyes.gif I think that Erin will respond well to her. I hope that Andrew didn't tire you too much at Play School and that you recover soon! We had tickets for the 4 of us to go to The Wiggles with N & her daughter A. I booked the 10am show. Turns out it is the same day as the Preschool Performance, which is at 9:30am rolleyes.gif So, we gave Erin a choice and she chose the performance. Then she had to chose a parent. She chose DH because he missed Foundation Day last year, due to being in USA. So, Alice & I are going to The Wiggles with N&A. It will be interesting to see how Alice goes. Found someone to take the additional tickets, so that was good.

Sienisob: After she'd gone off to her class, I left. They do about 2 hours of orientation then they head back to their preschool class because it is also a preschool day. So, I won't know how it went until tonight. I suspect that she had a wonderful day, though. She has been coming home all term, telling me how kindergarteners behave. Their preschool teacher has prepared them well. She's also more like her Dad - rules with commonsense rather than emotions. laughing2.gif

#52 Puggle

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

Kristen - thank you, thank you, thank you! You just reminded me that we have tickets to Playschool for Sunday. So I've postponed my trip for a couple of days. We missed the concert last year when Lauren was a newborn because we all slept in (!) so there was no way I am wasting my money again this year! Who were the presenters at your concert? My Perth friends got Jay, but I doubt Canberra could be so lucky, we will probably end up with George and Angela who we like but let's face it, are not Jay! Claire was actually George's biggest fan for a while there, we were looking forward to getting him last year and having Claire yell out "George! GEORGE!" when he came out on stage instead of the huh.gif "Who's that?" reception he got from the Perth crowd the previous year laughing2.gif. I don't think the kids know who George and Angela are these days unless they have some of the older Play School DVDs (Meet the Orchestra etc). I stay with my parents in outer Western Sydney or with my IL's who are in the Blue Mountains (but are currently caravanning down the coast - we saw them earlier this week). I hope you manage your nap.

Deanne, I would expect nothing less of you on Kindy orientation day. And I expect an encore performance at the actual start of Kindy. It is a milestone moment, of course you got emotional yyes.gif.

Claire got her 4yo imms this morning and a haircut. She's looking very '4' now, my big growing up girl original.gif.

OK, off to do more washing. At least postponing the trip means I can catch up with a few things around the house.

#53 beaglebabe

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:13 PM

Awww Deanne.  I hope you are feeling a bit better now.  And I'm sure Erin had a marvellous morning and was completely unaware of what a big deal it was for her poor Mummy!

Lucia cried for the first time at childcare drop off this morning.  They called me at midday to let me know that she had been clingy and grizzly all morning, even when someone was holding her  cry1.gif  So you probably won't be surprised to hear I am now at home with her.... I just couldn't leave her there all day when she was so sad.  She's asleep now, so hopefully will be feeling happier when she wakes up.  And it gives me a chance to catch up on housework, as we are having some friends over tomorrow for a birthday BBQ for the kids.  I might even get started on the cakes (yes, one for each of them!) this arvo to save time tonight/tomorrow morning.

Shelly - glad the interview went well.  Hope your tummy and your poor skinned heels are feeling better today.

Lara - I'd be quite happy if Lucia didn't walk for a while either.  I don't want my baby to grow up.  She's so little compared to Toby at 1 though, so I think she looks quite funny cruising around.

Sienisob - Happy six months to Isobel.

Anne - hope the girls enjoy Playschool.  We have Wiggles tickets, but I am supposed to be working that day.  Was hoping to take it off (it is Toby's childcare concert in the afternoon too), but feel bad asking now since I have taken time off with Lucia this week.  Luckily my new boss has kids too, so she is very understanding about these things.

Kristen - I hope you got your nanna nap.

Mishy - I know the feeling.  I loved Toby's childcare day when I was on mat leave  ph34r.gif

I guess I had better go start the housework..... although it is very tempting to have a nap instead.  Lucia is back to waking three times a night since she has been sick, and it's left me rather tired.

Michelle

#54 laraq75

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

Deanne - that baby would make me clucky as well.  I saw her with M the other day.  I think it is lovely that you were so emotional.  It is like me and the swimming.  I cried when Audrey started doing swimming lessons by herself. Thanks for the tips on the walking.  I know I have to be patient but he is really cheeky.  I have seen him standing but he just doesn't want to do anymore then that.

Kristen - I am so sorry I bowled Andrew over.  My friends were yelling out to me and I was in a rush and I just didn't see him.  

Anne - the playschool concert was really good and the best bit was Jay Lagalia was in it.  He is so yummy.  I think more of the women screamed when he came out then the kids.  Too funny really.  The only issue with th concert is that Angus freaked out and clung on to me like somebody was going to kill him.

#55 Nut

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

I was contemplating going. Alex loves PlaySchool. There's another show tomorrow?? Wonder if tickets are still available... It's indoors isn't  it?

Jay is OK... I like him... Though I am quite partial to Matt myself biggrin.gif

Deanne - Awww!! There's nothing wrong with getting a bit emotional original.gif. Hope you're feeling a bit better now though.

Michelle - sad.gif. Sorry Lucia didn't go to well at daycare. Hopefully she will get used to it over time. Must be hard on them at that age at first.

#56 Puggle

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

Ooooh, thanks for that info Lara. I hope he stays for all the concerts.

Good luck with the cakes Michelle. I hope Lulu adjusts to childcare soon and also starts sleeping better for you.

Well, Lauren is napping and Claire has just fallen asleep on the beanbag while watching Monsters Inc. She's had a huge week, some extra sleep would do her a world of good.

#57 mumto3monkeys

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Puggle @ 27/11/2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kristen -  My Perth friends got Jay, but I doubt Canberra could be so lucky, we will probably end up with George and Angela who we like but let's face it, are not Jay!

It was Jay this morning.  biggrin.gif (Kids were delighted as they looked really puzzled when music lady and the other presenter came out as they had no idea who they were.)

QUOTE (laraq75 @ 27/11/2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the best bit was Jay Lagalia was in it.  He is so yummy.  I think more of the women screamed when he came out then the kids.  Too funny really.

roll2.gif  It was hilarious. Even the female present Alison/Angela??? laughed a little. (I felt a bit bad for her as she didn't get the same reaction. But by her little grin I think she expected it.)

As for blubbering mummies .. I have cried when my kids have cried being left at childcare ... then cried when they were happy to go without me. Poor staff can't win and with three at the same centre have a box of tissues in the office with my name on it.  blush.gif

Oh, and if any of you were the lovely woman who walked up tp me at Woden and said "you have the most beautiful children" ... thankyou, it made my day ... (and left me all teary as you walked off).

#58 Puggle

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

I was at Woden today but it wasn't me. Obviously wink.gif

Maybe we should have a meet at the Woden pirate ship playground, I'm forever striking up conversations with other mums there.

That reminds me, the other day Claire was singing  "I travelled round Australia, on Highway number one, and when I got to Woden, I stopped to see someone ..." laughing2.gif

#59 Nut

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

I was at Woden this morning too. Wasn't me though.

#60 darnie

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

I was nowhere near Woden today so it wasn't me. grin.gif

What a lovely thing for someone to say, though. That would have made my day!

#61 laraq75

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

I wasn't at woden either because I was at Playschool perving at Jay.

#62 Puggle

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

laughing2.gif Lara.

Deanne, I was just coming back to edit my previous post to say the same thing, but now I'll just echo your post - it is a lovely thing for someone to say.

#63 beaglebabe

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:18 PM

I was at Woden at work this morning, but didn't go to the mall.  That comment would have made my day too!

Just popping in quickly while I'm cooking dinner to say that I think it was one year ago today that we had our first big grads meet up at Deanne's  wub.gif

#64 wrappedup

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

Awww, that was fun - and a bit stressful, I remember Lulu kept trying to climb into the capsules to hug the babies  wub.gif

Am exhausted today, very glad it is the weekend.  Can report though that I did pop in on our pg grad and she looks fabulous original.gif

#65 darnie

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

Michelle: Really? wub.gif That time has flown! cry1.gif

Thanks girls for putting up with my emotions. blush.gif

I have a very happy almost kindergartener tonight! wub.gif

Hey has anyone else used ABC Reading Eggs Online to help their child learn to read? Online subscriptions look a bit pricey, but they have a 14 day free trial. Erin is sitting beside me, working her way through the lessons right now and really enjoying it. I think some of it is even making sense to her! hands.gif It does seem effective (based on the 20-30 mins so far)

#66 wrappedup

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:36 PM

We did a free trial earlier this year, the big girls enjoyed it, Lulu wasn't ready for it.  I am hopeless at giving my girls time on the PC, otherwise they'd do more of it.

And re your tears, I cried when Josie went to kindy orientation but then I didn't on her first day.  No idea why, but I did  wub.gif

#67 *Caro*

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:40 PM

We're off to the Playschool concert on Sunday - I'd be just as happy with Andrew or Matt as Jay!  I've had a thing for Andrew since he was on Flying Doctors in the 80s!! laughing2.gif

Deanne, I haven't looked at the Reading Eggs thingo, but personally I'm not to enamoured of those things generally. I prefer the idea of a book and a cuddle at bedtime or whenever as being more likely to instill a love of books, rather than a set program.  Especially for kids under 6 or 7.  But then again, I'm horridly old fashioned Tounge1.gif  I cried tears of joy the day Rodney and I went to Em's kindy interview - I was so excited about her starting school!! I was more emotional than when they started childcare - childcare just engendered guilt, I think blush.gif

Michelle, I can't believe it was that long ago! wow!  That's a bit sad about Lucia missing you today.  Is she ok now? Remember Angus had a horrid month of being a bit unwell and unbelievably clingy when he first started childcare.  After a month or so he settled in and has been absolutely fine every day since.  Its a really good centre, the staff are well tuned to the kids, and I actually think the fact that they called you is a good sign - they didn't let it get worse.  She will settle in, it just might take a while.   bbighug.gif

ok, washing to fold waves.gif

#68 Puggle

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (*Caro* @ 27/11/2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're off to the Playschool concert on Sunday - I'd be just as happy with Andrew or Matt as Jay!  I've had a thing for Andrew since he was on Flying Doctors in the 80s!! laughing2.gif

roll2.gif I've had a thing for Andrew MacFarlane since The Sullivans. And yes, I was very young - he was the first man I can remember thinking was handsome. Obviously my taste hasn't changed! I've heard a rumour he bats for the other team though cry1.gif.

Sounds like we might see at the concert on Sunday, Caro.

Edited by Puggle, 27 November 2009 - 07:47 PM.

#69 *Caro*

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:45 PM

Forgot to say -

Shelly, I'm pleased the interview went ok.  I have made the mistake of wearing unbelievably uncomfortable shoes to an interview before Tounge1.gif  Did they say when you would find out if you were successful?

Mumtothree - I wasn't at Woden today - but I'm sure your kids are gorgeous laughing2.gif

Lara - Emmeline was about 15 months before she started walking.  They all get there in their own time.  We were referred to a physio and had to do exercises to build certain strengths and skills - I think if we had pushed walking before she developed those other things, it would have been worse.  Anyhoo, she is a very physically competent child now, she was just a lazy baby grin.gif

#70 darnie

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (*Caro* @ 27/11/2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Deanne, I haven't looked at the Reading Eggs thingo, but personally I'm not to enamoured of those things generally. I prefer the idea of a book and a cuddle at bedtime or whenever as being more likely to instill a love of books, rather than a set program.  Especially for kids under 6 or 7.  But then again, I'm horridly old fashioned Tounge1.gif
Me too with Andrew McFarlane! I love watching playschool or anything with him in it wub.gif Definitely agree that real books are the go for encouraging a love of books. We love story time here. But I quite liked the idea of the Reading Eggs to be used in conjunction with books for helping with reading. It seems to be helping Erin to understand combinations of sounds and she was starting to grasp a simple sentence. Previously, she was kind of wanting to read but not able to get it and even though she is only in preschool and has plenty of time, I thought it might help her to understand and save some of her current frustrations.

#71 *Caro*

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

Fair enough Deanne.  I guess i'm lucky in that Em is quite happy plodding along and telling me she is 'reading'.  And Zahra doesn't seem to be far behind her  rolleyes.gif

Andrew definitely bats for the other team cry1.gif laughing2.gif

#72 shelly1

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:30 PM

I wasn't at woden either because I was at Playschool perving at Jay.

I didnt buy tickets as the last 2 times I have taken Maddy we both had no idea who the presenters were but she knows Jay and would have enjoyed it.

Lara - Maddy didnt walk until 13 months, everyone kept telling me Jade would walk early but I wasnt bothered either way.

Caro - I should know before the end of the year. DH was looking at my feet and couldnt understand how shoes that I had only worn for a small amount of time could cause so much damage LOL.

Michelle - I hope Lucia is feeling better now. You are a brave woman going shopping with both kids - Jade tried to climb out of the trolley at the checkouts and I was so flustered I tried to leave the self service without paying until the staff member pulled me up.

Maddy had her kindy orientation last Wednesday. She was fine. The only "issue" I had was stressing about wether we had made the right decision to send her to that school. I am still unsure but DH prefers this school.

#73 Puggle

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:32 PM

Aw, come on now Caro, all the male presenters on Play School have to wear those purple shirts wink.gif

You are right though, he is. I googled blush.gif laughing2.gif

Deanne, I stumbled across a really good deal on those Leapfrog TAG reading thingummies today ($58 with two books and the hard case at Big W in case anyone is interested) and ummed and ahhed about it, but I'm like Caro and Claire seems to get enough out of being read to at bedtime at this stage. Might well be a different matter in a year though as she is very keen to learn how to write her name so I guess reading is the natural progression from that. I have bought her a few things to teach her how to write letters but just for fun, and she also has those Leapfrog Fridge Phonics gadgets, both the alphabet and the three letter word one. I've been impressed at what she has picked up from those actually, she has known her alphabet letters since about 2.5 and now will often tell me what sound a letter makes or if I make the sound she can tell me what letter it belongs to IYKWIM. We also have foam alphabet letters etc for the bath, so lots of incidental and fun exposure to literacy. Erin is a bright little button, I can see that she'd get a lot out of a literacy program. I reckon if you googled Reading Eggs and Essential Baby you'd find a few threads on the subject.

Edited by Puggle, 27 November 2009 - 08:44 PM.

#74 Cantabile

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Hi all, still around. Been busy original.gif DH and I celebrated 11 years together today. Hard to believe that in less than a month's time we would be married for 7 years. I went back to work today to further negotiate my days. Seems that they're still ok with me returning in Term 2 but now only working 2 days. Still 2 too many as I really don't want to go back yet but I don't think DH would be too happy about that!

Birth centre picnic is next Fri - who's going? I really want to go but don't want to be a loner lol!

#75 beaglebabe

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:14 AM

Grace - bummer, I would have loved to go to the birth centre picnic, but I work Fridays.  Glad you have managed to negotiate something with your work.  I'm enjoying doing two days at the moment - still five days a week to spend with the kids.

Anne - Toby is loving the fridge phonics.  I haven't given him the three letter one yet, as he is happy with just the basic one for the moment - he is learning so much from it.  Although I am sick of hearing the ABC song over, and over, and over, and over

Shelly - I'm not that brave - my Dad was with me!  The kids are generally pretty good grocery shopping though, as long as I keep Toby in the trolley.  I wouldn't usually attempt it at 5pm on Friday without assistance though.

Caro - I had to laugh at you eating between interviews.  I was sure my work would pick up on my pregnancy when I started eating constantly in the morning, but noone seemed to bat an eyelid.  I got married when 7 weeks pregnant with Toby, and had to drink non-alcoholic wine at the wedding.  One of my friends was very concerned when I grabbed my car keys at the end of the wedding as I had been 'drinking' all day!

Sam - I've just started letting Toby play some basic games on the computer, and now every time I get on here he wants a turn.  

Playschool - I wouldn't have a clue which presenter is which - I use Playschool as my babysitter while I wash the floors or have a shower, so I rarely actually see much of it.  DH has a thing for Justine though.

Making icing for the birthday cakes at the moment - love my mixmaster, so much easier than standing there with the hand held beaters trying to get the butter white enough!

Michelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.