Is Subway mayonnaise ok?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tezz

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

I know not to have the salads at Subway but what do you think about their Mayonnaise? I've tried googling this with no luck. Anyone had it?

#2 MuppetGirl

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

I am not sure if I am 100% correct so hopefully someone else will know but I was told that you are not at risk of Listeria with Mayo, you are at risk of Salmonella which does not harm the baby like Listeria does.

Salmonella is just like food poisoning so can make you pretty sick but not hurt the baby AFAIK.

So I always still ate Mayo and never had a problem.

Hopefully someone else knows a bit more than me.

You just have to do what you feel most comfortable with, I didn't really strictly follow any of the guidelines anyway, I only stayed away from deli meats, soft serve and pate.

#3 moosmum2

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

If they dont make it themselves you should be ok, homemade mayonnaise is made from raw eggs so should be avoided.

#4 Alrak

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:02 AM

Salmonella is just like food poisoning so can make you pretty sick but not hurt the baby AFAIK.

salmonella poisoning is worse. people die from that. it can make you extremely sick. which is the problem with raw chicken

from what my mid wife said anyway

Edited by chantelle*s-mummy2, 17 December 2009 - 11:05 AM.

#5 MuppetGirl

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:08 AM

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/consum...food/pregnancy/

This link is quite useful so have a read for more info.

It confirms raw egg is a risk of salmonella.

If they dont make it themselves you should be ok, homemade mayonnaise is made from raw eggs so should be avoided.

Even most store bought mayo's have raw egg in them. My Kraft mayo in the fridge has raw egg in it, you can check this on the ingredient list on the back of the bottles original.gif

Again it is best just to do what you feel most comfortable with doing.

#6 ~Jot~

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:11 PM

Even most store bought mayo's have raw egg in them. My Kraft mayo in the fridge has raw egg in it, you can check this on the ingredient list on the back of the bottles original.gif
I'm pretty sure the eggs in store bought mayo are pasteurised and therefore safe. I recently read somewhere that all Australian mayonnaises are safe, I'm trying to find a source.  original.gif

Edited by ~Jot~, 17 December 2009 - 01:11 PM.

#7 Roseberry

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:59 PM

I eat Subway all the time with my youngest and just asked for the chicken fillet to be really hot. I also asked for no mayo just as a caution (I avoided mayo all the time). Just make sure the salad is fresh (our local one had a high turn over so they were constantly re-stocking).

Edited by Roseberry, 17 December 2009 - 03:00 PM.

#8 Nut

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:24 PM

I wouldn't have the mayo.

I ate subway when pregnant but made sure I always had them well toasted. Definitely no mayo. Even if it's the store bought pasturised version it's been sitting out in the open for hours like that... Yech...

#9 Tezz

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for your words of wisdom ladies. Appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.