Grad Mums #37

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
143 replies to this topic

#26 darnie

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:35 AM

Oh! Oh! Kristen, if you need me to bring dinner yyes.gif collect a 5 year old for a play date wub.gif and have baby cuddles wub.gif as soon as I get back, you just say the word! I'll be there. yyes.gif I hope that Jess is feeling better soon, poor little poppet.

BubbleMummy: Yes, our Christmas is going to be both interesting and exciting, I think. I was a bit homesick last night when I asked Erin what the best part of her holiday has been (thinking Luna Park, Roller Skating, seeing Olivia the Pretentious Pig in the windows of Myer Melbourne) and she said "Playing with my cousins" wub.gif cry1.gif We've got today and tomorrow with the inlaws, then heading up to my family on Boxing Day ddance.gif Hopefully I won't have bitten the end of my tongue completely off by the time we leave here. laughing2.gif

Everyone Else: All the best for the Christmas preparations today. May you have a wonderful time tomorrow.

Me: Day 4 and we still all like each other but I think I am glad that Day 5 will be the last day. Reaching the end of my patience, I feel. Tongue very bruised from biting it. laughing2.gif We have to head off soon soe htat we can get the hand brake adjusted in the car. Hoping to get photos taken of the girls with Santa. It is the first year that Erin would actually sit on Santa's knee and there won't be too many left before she doesn't believe cry1.gif so I want to capture the moment wub.gif

Oh, conversation between Erin & I yesterday:

Erin (walking very discreetly up to me and talking so that only I can hear): "Mummy, B & D (two oldest boy cousins) told me a song. They said it. I am just telling you what they said"

Me: "What was the song?"

Erin: "Well, they said the song was 'Alice, Alice, f***ing Alice'. Is that correct?"

Me (after composing myself and realising that boys talk about different things to girls): "The song is actually called 'Alice, Alice, who the f*** is Alice' but that is a very rude word so it is best if we don't talk about it. Please don't mention it to your friends."

Erin: "Ok"

Me: "And thank you for feeling as though you could come and ask me"

Erin: "That's ok Mummy"

roll2.gif

On that note, Merry Christmas Everyone!

#27 Marvel

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

Erin is sooo gorgeous!! You're one lucky lady  xmas_smile.gif

If I don't get the chance to pop in again, I just wanted to wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

I hope Santa is very good to you all!

Michelle

#28 ~Sorceress~

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

Thanks so much, Deanne! It is all feeling a bit overwhelming sad.gif - and it's twenty years today since dh and I first started "going out" and may just be the first time we don't do something special to celebrate. At least Jessie has stopped throwing up though we haven't ventured into solid food territory yet... sad.gif

The Santa photos sound great! I know how you feel about wanting to capture those moments before they disappear. I'm very glad that the older siblings are as invested as I am in keeping the magic alive wub.gif - and very very happy that Jessie told the Gungahlin santa that she wanted a Littlest Pet Shop toy in time for us to buy the last one in Myer biggrin.gif .

Bubblemummy - if DS has surgery on his arm, it will be the seventh operation on that arm, as he's broken it twice before sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif . Surgery at this stage carries the added risk of him losing the use of his hand so we're more than usually stressed by it. Just typing it makes me nauseous (or perhaps I'm remembering the gastro in the house  rolleyes.gif ) sad.gif

Hope your MIL can help you get some rest when she gets there! I'm finding pregnancy hard with a 5 and 2yo in the house, but at least I have plenty of older hands to help out biggrin.gif wub.gif .

#29 Cantabile

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:04 PM

Hello ladies - hope everyone's Christmas prep are going well!! We're having so much fun in Perth. It's actually quiet now; Felicity's having a nap now so I'm hoping she'll be ok for midnight mass... we'll see!

I probably won't get a chance to be back here again for a few days so I just want to wish everyone a VERY merry xmas and a happy new year. original.gif

Edited by Cantabile, 24 December 2009 - 05:04 PM.

#30 beaglebabe

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

Just popping in quickly to wish everyone a Merry Christmas  biggrin.gif

We have had a nice evening going for a drive to see the Christmas lights.  DH and I have wrapped presents and filled the Santa Sacks while watching carols.  And now I'm just polishing off the fruit cake Toby left out for Santa, before nibbling the reindeers carrots and going to bed.   Toby has also left his potty out for Santa, in exchange for presents - Mummy is happy about this, as I'm very much over cleaning a potty and think it's time Mr T started using the toilet instead.

Toby's behaviour was awful today, so I am hoping that he wakes up in a better mood tomorrow, or Christmas might end up cancelled.

I hope you all have a wonderful day with your families tomorrow.  It's so lovely to share this time of year with the kids - it really brings back the magic of Christmas.  One of my (child-less) friends is coming over tomorrow morning as she wants to see the kids open their presents.

I'd better get to bed before Santa arrives......

Michelle

#31 ~Sorceress~

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

Merry Christmas to us all original.gif.

#32 darnie

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:28 PM

Yes, Happy Christmas Everyone! Have a wonderful Day!

Kristen: By any chance are you up because you aver having labour pangs? grin.gif Just asking... grin.gif

ETA: Only asking because I am soooo excited! wub.gif My cousin's wife had a baby girl the other day. Her name is Anna Grace wub.gif I am so thrilled for them. They have three older children, the youngest being 8. The journey between the 8 year old and the new baby has involved some heartache, so I am just over the moon for them. I can't wait to go shopping dev (6).gif

Edited by darnie, 24 December 2009 - 11:36 PM.

#33 Puggle

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:46 PM

What a lovely name Deanne. wub.gif

Merry Christmas everyone!

Just a few more things to wrap ... yyawn.gif

#34 ~Sorceress~

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:18 AM

laughing2.gif I was just up because I was late wrapping and arranging presents original.gif. I've had a couple of labour inklings tonight that woke me up but I'm determined to make our Christmas lunch at the golf club now I've paid for it wink.gif so have told them to go away for 24 hours or so!  And I'm up now because I can't remember where I put  jessie's Santa present to keep safe sad.gif

Congratulations on your newest cousin - a very lovely name indeed! wub.gif

#35 Nut

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

#36 wrappedup

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:27 AM

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!

Have a wonderful day!

(congrats on the niece Deanne, lovely name)

#37 It'sbeenawhile

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!
Hope today is wonderful for you all! I am a little dissapointed about all the rain as i the boys got a trampoline (we still let them all have a turn) and mum and dad have a new pool set up and mum made a pinata to hang outside.

Have i ever told you guys that i sometimes have night terrors? Well i do and i dont 'wake' up until i am screaming and already in another room! Well last night i had one (first one in ages) at 3:30am and i dreamt that there were huntsman spiders all over me so of course i was screaming the house down and stripped off all my pyjamas as i was jumping out of bed, i woke up to find myself in the lounge room, realised i was half naked and tried to cover myself, as MY NAN, and Andy and Jack came running, woke Max up, but Blake slept through the whole thing!  wwhistle.gif
Have no idea why i have them! Hope it gives you all a laugh anyway!!

Love to you all. And thinking of Kristen, theres a few special days the bub could choose...xmas, boing or new years!

#38 darnie

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

I hope you are all having a great day!

Kristen: I was sure we were going to wake up to a Christmas Day baby! laughing2.gif I hope that Christmas Lunch is going well. I"ll be interested to hear about it because it is a dream of mine to go out somewhere one year rather than doing it all at home.

Leonie: You poor thing! DH used to get night terrors (when I first moved in with him, now that I think about it unsure.gif) He never ended up naked in front of his Nan, though! laughing2.gif He stopped having them about 10 years ago; maybe more.

Samantha: How are things? I saw your post in another thread  and haven't seen you here since hhugs.gif I hope that things work out for you hhugs.gif

Us: A pretty good Christmas Day, considering various factors that could have made it a not so good Christmas Day. So excited though - tomorrow we are heading off to my family! ddance.gif I am trying to convince DH to pack the car tongiht so that we can get away early dev (6).gif The girls have had a great day.

Well, everyone else is having an afternoon nap and if I can get the girls to have one, I will too! So, I should go.

Bye all!

#39 darnie

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

Oh and I forgot to say what a (surprisingly) glorious, sunny day it is here in cosy old North West Tassie! grin.gif

I hope the Canberra rain stops soon so that trampolines and other outdoor gifts can be enjoyed!

#40 Puggle

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yyawn.gif

Post Christmas dinner lethargy is threatening to consume me.

Hope you are still in one piece Kristen! How very exciting though wub.gif. Oh dearie me, I'm so clucky, there have been so many teeny tiny newborns around when I have ventured to the shops lately. I hope DS1 is being good re his arm, the potential complications sound very worrying. How on earth has he managed to break it so many times? I hope you found the present. My Mum forgot a present one year and found it about 15 years later (see, this is where I get my clutter/hoarding issues from, people rolleyes.gif). Funnily enough, my brother really wasn't interested in a Star Wars Chess set all those years later roll2.gif. Oh, and the girls just love their pettiskirts, I will try to get a photo tomorrow.

Leonie, you poor thing. Still, it could be worse, you might have ended up half naked in front of your FIL or someone like that (it was your MIL with the real spider in the bathroom, wasn't it? unsure.gif)

We scored very well from DH's trip to the USA. DH bought each of the girls a lovely outfit from Gymboree (Claire's has embroidered ladybirds all over it, Lauren's has butterfly highlights) and I got a gorgeous GAP jumper. wub.gif

Must go and do some tidying up while everyone is napping. I hope you are all having a lovely day with family and friends.

#41 ~strawberry~

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Leonie - I hear you about the rain and the trampoline. We gave the kids a swing set and they didn't even get to try it out sad.gif They've had to ride the trikes in the house too (not an easy feat given our house is quite small).

#42 samagard

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

Merry Christmas everyone.
We had a great day, and bell''s christmas present for everyone was to sit up all by herself for the first time!

#43 Puggle

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

Kristen, where are you?  wink.gif

Leonie has gone down the coast and says Hi and Bye! I don't think Leonie has answered those of you who were asking, but the breast lump turned out to be a cyst as she hoped it would. She hadn't had the results back regarding her back last I heard.

Looks like Lauren has been taking lessons from playdates with Lucy, Jade and Max, she surprised us all tonight by standing up unassisted in the middle of the lounge room floor and then remaining standing for a good ten or so seconds. We all cheered and clapped, including Lauren, and she looked ever so pleased with herself wub.gif. It is funny that she chose Boxing Day to achieve this milestone, as it was Boxing Day in 2006 that Claire took her first steps.

Got to dash, hope you are all well and happy.

Edited by Puggle, 26 December 2009 - 09:18 PM.

#44 ~Sorceress~

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hi Anne, still here and was thinking things might be moving again last night, then again tonight - but everything's on hold as I now have two more children throwing up laughing2.gif .

Hope it's not too callous to say I'm fine with the over 10 crowd getting gastro because they can fairly reliably make it to the bathroom and/or use a bucket, but I'm absolutely dreading the toddler getting it sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif . I'm still behind on the laundry from the 5yo's rather spectacular efforts sad.gif .

Glad all's well with the lump, Leonie original.gif and sorry about the night terrors sad.gif.

Anybody else going crazy with the rain? Dh and the boys have been doing some work getting ready for our extensions and nobody seems capable of remembering to shut the internal laundry door so the dog stays out! My floors have been SO filthy today - but my wonderful dh dealt with a broken glass, vomitting child and cleaned the kitchen floor while I had a bath tonight biggrin.gif so I'm feeling much happier now.

Now if only I could catch up on the laundry mountain...

#45 shelly1

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

Hi Everyone  biggrin.gif

I hope you all had a great christmas.

I am still in Queensland for another day and whilst we have had a great time - no cooking, cleaning, PIL have 2 acres and a nice big 6 person spa but  I am looking really forward to getting home as Jades sleep has gone to poo whilst we have been away and TBH she has done nothing but grizzle and whinge most of the time (except shopping today - she had a great time running around Target LOL). I suspect teeth may be the problem made worse by a severe lack of sleep. Maddy is having a great time running around with her younger cousin and is passed out by 8pm everynight but I am tired and had a little emotional break down earlier.

Leonie - thats great news about your results.

Have i ever told you guys that i sometimes have night terrors?

LOL - My husband has them. They can range from peering sinisterly out of the bedroom blinds to ripping the doona off the bed and throwing it in the ensuite and slamming the door due to "snakes" - gives another meaning to bedroom antics  laugh.gif

Anne - Yay for Lauren. Did you find out what that rash was? Jade has broken out in a rash but thought it might be heat rash but we arent too sure.

#46 Puggle

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

Oh Kristen, you poor things (but you especially)! Your DH sounds like a champ yyes.gif. Here's hoping Andrew doesn't get it and everyone makes a speedy recovery. Oh, and the sun comes out to get all the washing dry.

QUOTE (shelly1 @ 26/12/2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anne - Yay for Lauren. Did you find out what that rash was? Jade has broken out in a rash but thought it might be heat rash but we arent too sure.

Oh no! No, we didn't find out what it was. I'm probably a very bad mother but she seemed happy enough and not in any discomfit so I didn't end up taking her to the doctor. Do Jade's spots have a tiny little red dot in the center, and feel a bit like sandpaper if you run your hand over her skin?  That's what Laurens were like. If it is heat rash I think it is usually just on the torso unsure.gif. Oh, I really hope we didn't pass anything on hands.gif. I hear you on the emotional break down front, travelling with babies can be really draining. I really mucked up Claire's sleep patterns a lot in her first year because we had extended visits to NSW to stay with Grandparents and I'd get up to her if she so much as wimpered at night so that she didn't disturb anyone's sleep. Except of cause that stuffed up her sleeping (and mine) and we'd fly home to Perth, get it sorted just in time to go somewhere else wacko.gif. I wish you a smooth journey home and a speedy settling back into routines and sleep patterns.

Night terrors: Claire has them occasionally. My DH has been known to talk in his sleep though, which has been very entertaining at times dev (6).gif

#47 wrappedup

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:11 AM

Shelly - Sounds like our trip to QLD back in Sept, we had a ball but the sleeping was an absolute joke.  Sylvie got back to normal (her normal being to wake every 3 hours of course  rolleyes.gif ) but Lulu is still a mess.  Hope the trip back goes as well as the trip up!

Anne, how gorgeous Lauren stood on BD and realised how clever she was original.gif  We were playing Wii bowling with the kids yesterday and we'd clap if someone got a strike or spare and Sylvie would get so excited and clap along with us. It was adorable.

Samantha - what lovely timing Isabella has original.gif

Jo - looks like the weather will be picking up over the next few days, hope the kids love the swingset original.gif

Deanne - not sure if you'll get on at some point but today is the day you are off to your parents I believe?  Have a ball!

I'm having lunch with two of my besties today, one who is out from London. Am v. excited! It's her quasi-hen's lunch (she already had one in Sydney), so I'm taking along the penis confetti I have in handbag from the hen's night I went to in July. She's such a refined, glamorous lass that I'm sure she'll appreciate it wink.gif.

Oh and Sylvie now says "Jos" (as in Josie) as well as Mum and Dad.  She even has a noise for Charlie which is along the lines of "Char/Jar".  And while my kids have been going nuts inside, playing Wii all yesterday afternoon at different times they were all hugging and kissing each other, Sylvia included (as the kisser, not just the kissee).  Dh and I question our parenting a lot but seeing them like that, the genuine affection they each have for every one of their sisters, brings me great hope for the future. I really feel like they may be a force to be reckoned with.  One can only hope  llove.gif

Have a lovely day...

#48 Puggle

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:28 AM

As always Sam, I love hearing you tell stories like that about your girls wub.gif. Sounds like Sylvie is going ahead in leaps and bounds. Lauren alternates between calling Claire "Care" and "Glare" (laughing2.gif). A couple of times I could swear she has managed 'Claire' but it isn't constant.

As the end of 2009 approaches I've been in a reflective mood, thinking back on the 'noughties' and what happened in my life.

2000 - engaged in January, living in Perth in a teeny tiny 2 bedroom flat. DF is working on his PhD thesis, I'm working in retail and dealing with the introduction of GST
2001 - still living in Perth in the same tiny flat, married in February in the Southern Highlands wub.gif. PhD thesis comes on honeymoon with us glare.gif laughing2.gif. The PhD thesis is finally finished and DH takes contract job with the WA government up north so we spend 3 straight months apart, including when 911 occurred in the USA sad.gif. DH gets post-doc research grant in Melbourne biggrin.gif.
2002 - Still in the same flat, but in January we moved to Melbourne. We spent all our savings on moving costs (later reimbursed) and were so skint we had to borrow money from the ILs for our rental bond.
2003 - budgeted and saved like mad, bought our first house biggrin.gif. Thought we'd be there for at least 15 years.
2004 - DH's research funding finished, he got a job in Perth and moved there in October so we spent 10 weeks apart while I packed up the house and finished up at work (during which time I lost 10kg). I moved to Perth after just 15 months in our house wacko.gif, rented house out, back to renting for us rolleyes.gif, told we could have a long lease though so very happy about that.
2005 - Working, TTC, pregnant. Upgraded the car (they sure improved a lot from '78 to '97 laughing2.gif) Found out at 37 weeks pregnant we had to be out of our rental house just 2.5 weeks after Claire's due date. Signed a lease for a new place on her due date - phew! Claire arrives (by bullied CS glare.gif) on 21st November wub.gif. Got home, got very serious UTI from the CS, very very sick, rigors etc. Had to move house in the middle of this - my DH is a champ wub.gif. huge BF issues, in tears even thinking about the next feed but push on because I don't want to 'fail' at that too rolleyes.gif
2006 - my Dad nearly dies in a car accident sad.gif , several trips back and forth to NSW.
2007 - Moved to Canberra in September original.gif start TTC on New Years Eve.
2008 - TTC (NYE resulted in Chemical Pregnancy), Claire weans late January (still totally amazed we got that far given our bad start), conceived baby #2 a few days after that, pregnant, disasterous trip to VIC and WA with Claire, serious sleep deprivation for last trimester, Lauren born by VBAC on October 28th wub.gif. Accept offer on our house in Melbourne on the day we get home from hospital (earlier sale fell through)
2009 - Finalise Melbourne house sale, house hunt, buy this place, move in in March. Start market business in July. Lauren tentatively diagnosed with NF1 just before her first birthday. DH has disasterous work-related trip to the USA in December but makes it home in one piece wink.gif.

Phew, I've just read over all that and I think I need a bex and a good lie down. I'd love to read other Noughties journeys if you want to share.

Must dash, we have hired a ute to take some greenwaste and rubbish to the tip and there is just lots in general to be done other than that.

Edited by Puggle, 27 December 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#49 shelly1

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

Anne - Never fear - it was heat rash as it cleared up as quickly as it arrived.It is very humid here so I think it was the fact she was sticky and sweaty.

#50 wrappedup

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

I'll join in.  Remember I'm a wordy one!

2000 - Meet dh in February, new temporary job in new agency in May, pregnant in July, move in with dh in October (rental).
2001 - Get job permanently in February, have Charlie in April, she's 6 weeks old when I decide we must buy a house now, buy said house and move in in August. Dh gets a promotion.  Back to work in Sept, offered a package in Dec. Decide to start TTC, two days later, on NYE, conceive Josie  ohmy.gif
2002 - Take redundancy and start a p/t marketing job with XBox.  Enjoy being home with Charlie, dh gets another promotion. Engaged in March, I then do a 3 month temp job, stopping at 38 weeks pregnant.  We did lots of reno work on the house that year.  Josie arrives in Sept. We got married on Christmas Eve.
2003 – Got PND sad.gif Fairly quiet year, I was back at work in March in a new role and then got a temp promotion somewhere else.  Put house on the market.
2004 – Charlie diagnosed with ITP in January.  Took house off the market and kids out of care.  Charlie recovered mid-year, house back on market, sold house and bought current house.  I finally got my promotion.
2005 – Dh moved agency and got promoted. Charlie went to preschool.  I moved jobs mid-year and then applied for a promotion.  I turned 30, took the kids on a big holiday in QLD.  TTC.  FIL died in September. Conceived Lulu in November, dh turned 30. Found out I was pg on Boxing Day.
2006 – Charlie starts school, I get promoted, we do an enormous backyard blitz, I homebirth Lulu.  Lovely year!
2007 – Josie starts preschool, Charlie struggles through year one so we get a private tutor and spend most of the year agonising over whether to repeat her. I go back to work and it is horrid, so move sideways to a new agency. Land on my feet in fab new job.  Dh stays home with kids for three months and finds out how hard it is wink.gif We buy a people mover (last barrier to more kids LOL). I stop talking to my mother.
2008 – Josie starts school. Charlie repeats year one and it is definitely the right thing. We decide to TTC and it happens second month, so then we spend several months going OMG! We do major renos on the house from when I am 33-37 weeks.  Sylvie arrives 9 days late but we have a fabulous Christmas despite all the issues going on as we have a 12 day old present original.gif  
2009 – I am on mat leave most of the year then go back to a job that is bigger than ever.  Dh becomes a SAHD for a while.  We find that four kids is bloody hard work but hope things get easier in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.