getting negative comments re STILL breastfeeding....what do you say!

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 alr82

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

Well done to all of you who are still feeding your babies/toddlers biggrin.gif

My son is still feeding, he is 14.5 months. I had my grandma ask me this morning if I was still feeding him and I said I was. I was worried about how she might react, not that she is negative about it, but coming from a different generation. She just said 'well at least he will grow to be big and strong'

Anon60, I don't think it gives a false sense of security at all. I am well aware that I may get breast cancer in the future, but I also know that by breastfeeding I am reducing the risk.

#52 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

awww Amy, Miles is look so cute  wub.gif

#53 whydoibother

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:41 PM

well DS is still feeding despite my best efforts to stop it-he does have a CMP allergy though.
he is almost 20 months.
no one dares to say anything-quite frankly it is none of their business.

Edited by Rough-Diamond, 01 January 2010 - 12:42 PM.

#54 Guest_Cali~_*

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

There's a another cute response along the lines of "Oh it's only been 5 minutes, he usually takes at least 10 before he's finished"

If you make it to 2 you can say you are part of the elite 1% of Australian mothers who meet the WHO recommendations for breastfeeding to 2 years.

1%!! That's appalling.

#55 liv1520

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

Its no one elses business, My DS is 25mths and I am still Breastfeeding him daily, He loves it, I love it and that's all that matters.
He tells me that Mummy's Boobies give him big muscles  biggrin.gif

#56 Sassenach2

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

I did not want to say that breastfeeding for 12 months or more will ensure that you WON'T get breast cancer, but the studies that have been done, do indicate that breastfeeding mothers who feed for 2 years cumulative (with 2 or 3 babies) have a LOWER risk. Some people are going to get breast cancer what-ever they do, as they probably carry the gene, but there is evidence that breastfeeding lowers the risk. They ask that question when you go for mammograms - did you breastfeed? , so it must have some credibility, or the ABA would not have it in their literature. It is like SIDS, you place the baby down the bottom of the cot with no bumpers, no pillows and laying on it's back, to REDUCE THE RISK, but that doesn't mean that we don't have cases of SIDS anymore. People get lung cancer from smoking, and some don't, but we do try to lower the risk.

#57 kuggle

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (Super Cat @ 29/12/2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Yes....why do you ask?"

[/i]That one ^^ leaves people to have to explain why you shouldn't be breastfeeding which puts them on the spot rather than you!

Yes. Why is it anyone's business? I have found lately (DD is 11.5 months) that friends etc actually assume I am bfing and when I say I need to feed her they assume I mean  bf and offer their bedroom for privacy. When I say she eats solids first they look a bit confused. Maybe she looks like a 5 month old  blink.gif

I haven't had any comments  so far but if I did I just say that DD will self wean as she has from most of her other feeds each day. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Edited by kuggle, 02 January 2010 - 08:46 AM.

#58 aprilrose

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

Ive been congratulated several times lately when people ask if Im still bf'ing DD. One was a friend from high school, who doesnt have any kids, another was an ultrasound technician, and my GP also congratulated me. Nothing like positive comments to keep my spirit up!

Ive had a few negative comments from my in-laws, esp now that we're pregnant again. They will mention it every time we see them. The 'nicest' comment Ive had from them is that DD will wean herself once my milk goes bad at 20 weeks.

its no ones business apart from mine and DD's, and I plan to continue as long as we're both comfortable doing so biggrin.gif

#59 Sassenach2

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:01 PM

AprilRose, you do have some uneducated people in your extended family, to say "it will go bad at 20 weeks of your pregnancy" is just laughable. Your milk will revert back to what the new baby will need, and the toddler can still be fed at the same time, so that will give them something to talk about around the Bingo table. wwhistle.gif

#60 nat1973

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

To the doctor last week at the regional country hospital where I took our 13mth old who had his first flu (when the dr asked when was I thinking of weaning as DS doesnt need BF anymore) my response was (pointing to the drs cup of coffee sitting beside him) "he'll be on the boob for as long as you'll be on caffeine I guess".

To the elderly woman who approached me at the cafe where I was BF DS yesterday and told me I was disgusting and he was too old to be BF, my response was "have you been given a day pass?  If you don't like it - don't look".

And to everyone else who keeps asking me when I am going to stop my typical response is "I'll stop BF DS when you get some manners"!!

I just don't understand what the big deal is and why people think they have the right to comment.....

#61 kabailz13

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 26/12/2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tell my mum that as long as I'm not doing a little britain than it's all good when she mithers me about still bf DD2.

THIS!!

As long as I don't get asked for 'bitty' I'm more than happy to continue!! I'm hoping to get passed 2yrs and if today's efforts are anything to go by, we'll make it easily! biggrin.gif

I have only recently (in the past month) had comments. I had a complaint about me at the pool and I had my cousin ask me why I was feeding DD2 on Christmas day.

My response was "because she wants it"

I LOVE this!!! "have you been given a day pass? If you don't like it - don't look".

#62 susieja

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

Kelly did someone actually complain about you feeding at the pool? Your bub is only a couple of weeks older than my little man and there is no way anything is going to stop him wanting 'boo'.

I haven't noticed any negative comments other than the occaisional 'Are you still feeding?' But I am so happy to respond with a big Yes! that I don't give the negative comments a chance biggrin.gif

xSusan

#63 kabailz13

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:44 PM

Yep Susan!

The person complained the lifeguard who came over to talk to me and said "I don't have an issue with it at all but just wanted to let you know that someone has complained about you feeding your baby here"

My hubby was gobsmacked! He was sitting right beside me and couldn't imagine that anyone could actually SEE anything!

Needless to say, I didn't stop feeding biggrin.gif

#64 *~dee~*

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

I am shocked at our society's views on b/feeding in this day and age! I just don't see how it's 'disgusting' to feed your baby/child milk that's made for them, but acceptable to give cows milk in a bottle until they are 3 or 4? That's fine if it's your choice, but why bag out breastfeeding mums?

It makes no sense to me. I actually really want to watch when I see mums b/feeding in public  ph34r.gif  I think it's beautiful. Good on all you b/feeding mums  tthumbs.gif .

#65 AmandaDan

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:01 PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. My DS is 5 months and mostly breastfed (has occasional top up feeds). I struggled with BF at the start and have only recently started to find it easy. I have never been big on BF in public. I have no issue at all with others but just feel really uncomfortable myself.

I have just recently decided that I need to make more of an effort to BF in public, if not one sees it then it wont become more accepted. I don't know what I would do if someone commented or complained but I know I would die of embarresment which is so unfair.

Thank you for all the comments and comebacks, hopefully I will remember one if I ever need it biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.