September 05 Parents # 388

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#51 Kay1

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:43 PM

Karina, sorry to hear you are in pain and not well sad.gif . Sounds awful. I hope the lap gives you some answers. Bummer on DH having to cancel work and even more of a bummer on your BF moving away. sad.gif What a rotten run you are having. I hope things improve and soon. bbighug.gif

#52 Titania

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

Big hugs Karina!  hheart.gif
Jeez that would run you down. I hear you on the pelvic pain etc - I am sick of the naprogesics (which don't agree with me anyway), and am due to go for another US soon. And the heartburn has still not given up. I have the opposite with AF - erratic and very heavy and then extended... and ongoing ovulation and abdominal pain... GAHHH. I hope you get some answers. And they're good ones.
I guess it's about time I really did something about pursuing some...

Belle - that's just awesome. Hope it slots right into place.

Kay - hmm... Hope it's just teeth or something. Quite probably is. original.gif Griff is a dreadful screamer anyway - but really we know nothing's wrong aside from teeth, tantrums etc...  But for sure he screamed a lot like that with teeth. Try not to worry too much about it. Sometimes screaming can be normal (and nothing to do with silent reflux original.gif )

#53 bellemae

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

Too cute...

The big boys are out watching Avatar. Kai & I baked muffins...then he asked if he could watch a movie. His pick, My Little Pony - A very pony place! biggrin.gif  Not often movies of that style are viewed around here! He's loving it though!

Edited by bellemae, 12 January 2010 - 01:21 PM.

#54 Kay1

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

Cute Belle! original.gif

T - Thanks, good to know I"m not the only one with a screamer.

Shucks he's hard though sad.gif . He is ever so cute and adorable but OMG he's so naughty and difficult! I don't know if I"ve just forgotten this stage or if I was spoilt with Nate being easy as a toddler, I think a bit of both. He is at the stage where he wants to get out and walk at the shops etc and I put the harness on but then he refuses to go where we need to go so he ends up straight back in the pram screaming bloody murder sad.gif Today Nate then refused to get out of the pram so I had both of them screaming and sat down and said "Ok well I guess we'll just stay here all day then". laughing2.gif Eventually Nate got out of the pram so I could strap Leo in. I'm just sick of having to fight him physically, he's so all over me and rough and tumble and resists nappy changes, everything. And he's so into EVERYTHING - and I mean EVERYTHING!! He doesn't touch any of their 5 million toys but is manically into unpacking and destroying everything else he can get his hands on. And he screams non stop unless he has food in his hand and/or mouth which means there is food being spread around the house all the time and my house is constantly filthy and I spend the whole day cleaning up after him....aargh!! Sorry that turned into a Leo rant blush.gif . Seriously glad I took up that daycare spot for him for this year rolleyes.gif . Speaking of which I again have the option of splitting their days which would give me one child free day and two one child days. unsure.gif Of course this means I can't get a job but realistically that was pretty unlikely anyway. Need to come up with a business idea instead maybe.... I just think it would be great for the kids to have a day of their own with me, especially since Nate will be at school next year (!). Also I find when Nate is not around Leo is calmer and more attentive (noticed this when DH was around to split the load on holidays).

Well I think he's stopped screaming finally and hopefully is asleep now - time for a glass of wine methinks.

#55 Titania

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

Aaah Kay... *sigh... I think this may be the way second boys (or some) go. LOL. You could be describing Griff at that age. In our case, I hate to tell you, it's only gotten worse. He is unbelievably naughty. Recently he broke a friend's christmas tree decorations before I could stop him (she was glad when he didn't come the next time) - and threw our poor sick cat in the pool (dh's fault though). I mean, Lorcan was really an absolute angel at this age in comparison. A large amount of the screaming in this house these days, sadly, comes from me. biggrin.gif  And as in your case - he battles everything - he is fiercely strong (and at 16 kgs - just a kilo and a half lighter than Lorcan - and sharing clothes now - he even wears some size 4s) and has actually pushed me over a couple of times - not to mention Lor. Fortunately he is unbelievably cute - and pretty clever I think for two (he counts to ten - does complex puzzles etc), and funny etc...

He's ridiculously energetic and is dropping his day sleep, and I think is lacking a bit of stimulation. He starts FDC tomorrow - two days a week across the road (almost) - YAYAYAYAY. I think he will love it. I hope so! Then he can have all my attention on Mondays when Lorcan is at pre-school. Not to worried about L not having a day of my attention - he's been having all of Griff's nap times - and sometimes a couple of hours on Saturdays when DH takes Griff out - or vice versa... with sole attention... But yes, Griff is also calmer when he on his own - and it's quite obvious that fair bit of his bad behaviour is attention seeking (esp when Lor's around)....

Ok, sorry for dissertation... ;-)

Leave in Hair Detangler/Conditioner is now available on Hippy Hippy Shakes - if any of you girls want to make a purchase of anything - let me know before hand - so I can give you a discount code - for your first purchase. :-)

#56 Kay1

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

Not to worried about L not having a day of my attention - he's been having all of Griff's nap times - and sometimes a couple of hours on Saturdays when DH takes Griff out - or vice versa... with sole attention...
Yeah I'm not too worried for the same reason - on the other hand I LOVE the idea of being able to take Nate to the beach, or to movies, or the zoo etc.... original.gif

I must say I've been remembering your posts about Griff at this age lately LOL. At least I know I'm not alone. And your poor cat!! sad.gif

#57 BronR

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Had to reply Kay and T- it's not just second boys but second child! Abi is sooooo much naughtier than Rory ever was. I actually never take them anywhere together by myself except somewhere just for them IYKWIM - like the park. For groceries we have to divide and conquer in this house and Abi is always left at home with either DH or me as she is too hard and naughty. Won't stay in the pram for anything, won't sit in the trolley, is into everything and if something doesn't go her way you would think I was sticking pins in her - the whole head down, foot stamping, screaming thing. She's embarrassing. Also when she hits the wall with either tiredness or hunger she is inconsolable. Rory would just eat something or go to sleep in the pram. She can't seem to manage this either.

I wondered if it's because she was indulged too much because of her feeding/eating issues as she was allowed to choose what she ate, when she ate and where she ate it and I wondered if it started from there. But the more I see of her the more I think it's second child and her personality. Also of course she learns stuff from Rory which he would have never known at age 2 - she tells me to "go away" in a really cranky 4 y.o. sounding voice when she's angry. But of course she is super super cute and so very hard to resist when she asks for something followed by a gorgeous "please". Hmmm, rod for my own back I have made me thinks. Sigh.

Just wanted to join in the tirade. Thankfully for me she is still under 10 kg (didn't quite make it for her 2nd birthday) so at least I can restrain her reasonable easily.

#58 Kay1

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

Argh Bron, you too huh?? Yep Leo does the foot stamping, head banging flinging himself on floor deal. He also whinges and cries literally non stop (imagine a puppy whimpering) until I am at boiling point then I give him some food and he says "Tatto!" and toddles off happy as larry. Of course most of the food ends up spread around the place and within 2 minutes he's whining again laughing2.gif

Today I lost it with Nate. He ate four weetbix for breakfast, a biscuit for morning tea, a banana and a sandwich for lunch (all this by midday). Then about 20 minutes after lunch he was "hungry" so I gave him a bowl of dry nutrigrain....then refilled it, the third time he said "Mummy I'm still hungry" I lost my temper and filled a plate with dry Nutri Grain, two slices of dry bread and a banana and told him to eat it all. I honestly couldn't get 2 minutes of work done without serving him some food! Anyway he was very upset and a few minutes later after the nutrigrain had run out he came and asked me why I shouted at him blush.gif (which impressed me no end actually) and we had a big cuddle and I explained my frustration etc.  We confirmed we're still friends and he looks at me very seriously and says "But Mummy I'm still hungry".... laughing2.gif He was very upset when I burst out laughing.

Argh - I need to get out more, this is what my days enail atm LOL!!!

Edited by Kay1, 13 January 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#59 Titania

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hahaha!

Sorry to laugh Kay original.gif Lorcan is like this ALL the time. In fact they both eat so much we had to buy an extra fridge before Christmas.
I swear they're eating us out of house and home already!! But I know it's growth spurts.

For breakfast today Lor had a huge bowl of porridge, a large slice of toast with peanut butter and jam, and a croissant. Then he had a chocolate muffin at 10.30 am... The rest of the day consists of the same.

I measured them the other day - Lorcan has grown around 3 cms in less than three months - and Griff has grown 5cms!!!

#60 bellemae

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:30 AM

LOL T & Kay, got massive non-stop eaters here too!!  I get soooo sick of bloody preparing food. But what gets me most is when I put effort into making both of them breakfast. Then I make my own and inevitably one of them will sit/stand and stare longingly at my food and ask if they can 'share' a little ARGH!!! I Just want to eat my own brekky for once!   WOW T that's massive growth!! I thought my kids grew a lot ohmy.gif They both consistently grow around 10-12cm/year, and they're both WAY bigger than their peers - 5cm in 3months is huge!

Although, having said that, my parents took BOTH my kids yesterday morning and kept them overnight! This has NEVER happened before....It feels very quiet here. We went for a swim down the beach, went to the movies, took a night time walk down the beach....it's been just lovely biggrin.gif AND now we have today until 3pm...so nice, yet, so bazaar original.gif

Gotta go...Quiet Coffee time....

Edited by bellemae, 14 January 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#61 Titania

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:03 AM

Then I make my own and inevitably one of them will sit/stand and stare longingly at my food and ask if they can 'share' a little ARGH!!!

Hehehe - Griff just sits with his mouth open going 'ah, ah, mm, mm' like a little bird and doesn't stop until I feed him. Gaaa!

Yes - I know - massive growth - I had to double check..

He started FDC yesterday - and the other little boy is nearly three and Griff towers over him - around 15 cms taller at least - and is probably twice as broad (admittedly the other child is very small)

Bron - hehehe - It's hard to believe that angelic looking creature could behave like the possessed - lol. Love to see some new piccies of her...

#62 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:41 AM

Anyone interested in some MCNs?  All girly ones at the moment... I am getting rid of Hannah's old ones.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=756588

#63 bellemae

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:34 AM

OMG, we are child free AGAIN!! ohmy.gif It's quite surreal...

Both the boys had sleepovers yesterday. Tiens was planned.. after he had gone we went to visit a girlfriend of Kai's for dinner...the kids decided they were keen to do a sleepover. We stayed and put Kai to bed there, then hung around playing cards n chatting with her parents until 12.30am, it was lovely. We really don't have that many couples we know who we get along with on more than just a superficial level, but these two seem different, more like us I guess, we could hang out and just be silly without feeling like there had to be an air of seriousness (If that makes sense?).

Waking up this morning though...quiet...again...hmmmmm, very strange...

#64 Kay1

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hey girls....

just sharing my excitement. I am getting an SLR and doing a camera course on my day off this year ddance.gif SO excited!!

Just have to decide on the camera though....don't want to start the whole camera discussion again but am looking for a little input.

I have come down to the Canon 50D or the Nikon D90. I had decided on the Nikon but then my SIl pointed out that she has a Canon and it would be great to be able to share tips and lenses etc. The Canon is a bit more expensive I think. Hmmmm....decisions decisions.....

#65 Titania

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

Lol sorry Kay - but I do think - given this is your first digital slr - it would be a huge mistake to just 'go' with the canon - cos that's what everyone else does... and that's the prime reason to do it. But I know I will be shot down here - I've never been a fan of the Eos - despite doing some work for the EOS magazine in the UK.
So I would say seriously consider the Sony range - http://www.sony.com.au/productcategory/dslr-camera - really, it's cutting edge stuff, otherwise the Nikon. ... Lens sharing - well that's getting more difficult - but Canon is a bit more restrictive (it's a bit like microsoft in its singlemindedness - which is part of the reason I'm not keen) in the first place.. Meh....

#66 Kay1

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:50 AM

Thanks T, yeah, I know you are passionate about the Sonys. original.gif I did look into them. Going off the dpreview (which is about as much as I could manage to read) I decided on the Nikon as they didn't give the Sony (in the range I am looking, can't remember model number) that great a review. Also because my friend who researches everything to death and whose opinion I tend to follow on techno things went Nikon blush.gif .

Thinking about it more the lense sharing is probably a pretty minor point. I mean you might borrow one to try it out and if you like it you'd buy one right?huh.gif At the moment there is a great deal on the Nikon making the Canon a few hundred more expensive so I will probably go with the Nikon.

Oh my goodness, Nate is SO excited......we went to a friends' place last night and the kids had this Hot Wheels ramp racer thing and Nate was loving it. My friend had picked up a few at Coles for $5 so she gave Nate one and he is the most excited I think I've ever seen him. I don't know why I didn't get him one of these for christmas!! ddoh.gif I am getting rundowns on each race LOL.

On a not so good note one of the little girls broke her arm last night. sad.gif Poor thing, the kids were lying on boogie boards and the dads were pulling them around. They all fell off lots but this poor kid just landed the wrong way. Poor mite.

#67 bellemae

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:13 AM

As I've said before Kay, I LOVE my Sony biggrin.gif

#68 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

Kay - I am going against the grain and saying that I am not a big fan of the Sony's.  The only real lead that they have in the market is that they work with the old Konika/Minolta lenses, so they have picked up a lot of ex-film hobbiests, but of the (quite large) community of professionals that I know, everyone has gone with one of the two main brands.  The quality of the lenses with Canon and Nikon are hands down much better than anything that you will get on the minor players, and the actual image quality from the Canon or Nikon bodies is better than the Sony.  (If you have a look here there is a comparison between Sony and Canon for noise issues at various ISO settings)

I am not quite sure what T is referring to with the lens thing, but all brands of cameras have their own individual mounts (although the Sony ones are compatible with the old K/M lenses).  You can get third party lenses (Tamron and Sigma and the like) that are made with either Canon or Nikon mounts (as well as Pentax and Sony).  So unless you are looking at buying 20 year old second hand lenses, there is no difference in lens compatibility between brands.

Looking at a comparison between Nikon and Canon.

Canon:
Lenses are cheaper
Bottom end of the market (1000D - 500D) you get a higher quality camera for your money.

Nikon:
Probably have a slight lead in the upper end of the market for image quality

For me it came down to price, and most of my friends owned Canons at the time.  I started with a 350D, which at the time was by far the best camera for the price.  I am now using a 5D, which is a gorgeous camera, but in a lot of ways it is fairly similar to the 50D, only it does not have a cropped sensor (the 5D mkII is the current model, and is a stunning camera).  BUT, if I were to start over again now (without having invested over 10k in Canon equipment) I would possibly go with Nikon, as I like the quality of the images out of their high end bodies.

The other thing to consider is what lenses your SIL has - if she has a couple of kit lenses and a 50mm f1.8, then I would not be basing the choice on that... but if she has a couple of Canon L series lenses that she is happy to lend you, then I would maybe include that as a reason to consider Canon.

So all in all... lol... I think you are on the right path looking at Nikon and Canon.  They are the market leaders for a reason.  In terms of which, really it comes down to what you want to use them for.  You might get the Nikon cheaper now, but as soon as you want to buy a new lens you are going to use up all that savings, so I would not go on the initial price.  And in terms of the lenses that you get with the camera, they really are not going to last you long.  I actually generally recommend that people save their money and skip the kit lens, and instead get something along the lines of a 24-70 f2.8 or similar, as it will last you for longer, and it is a general walk-about lens. (I got the 75-300 kit lens with my 350D, and it has been on the camera about 3 times...)

ETA - Oh, the only thing to keep an eye out on with the Nikon is that some of their entry level cameras don't work with Auto-focus on all lenses!  Something to do with the lens motor or something.  All of their mid to upper range do, though, so you should be fine.  Just check before you buy anything.

Edited by ~*Sharon*~, 18 January 2010 - 03:00 PM.

#69 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

OK - ONE other thing... Tounge1.gif

Just on the lens sharing - I regularly swap lenses with friends... things like wide angle lenses, or macros... ones that you might not use as a major part of your kit, but are fun to play with.  Also I have leant friends lenses when theirs have not been working for some reason and vica versa.  Admittedly it is slightly more key for myself and my friends to have the lenses we need, given they are for work, but it is definitely an advantage having compatible cameras.  I am stoked at the moment as one of my friends has just picked up a super-wide angle.  I can not wait to try it out! lol.

#70 Kay1

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

Thanks Sharon, some good points there. I must admit I was thinking  about not getting the kit lenses and getting just one other lense....so thanks for that suggestion. I think my SIl has some L series lenses....BTW what are the various "series" lenses? blush.gif My SIL is fairly new but very keen (and has a fair bit of disposable cash LOL) so I suspect she might be a good source. But my gut tells me to go Nikon shrug.gif

#71 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

Kay - Nikon and Canon are always going to be neck and neck for the lead in the DSLR race.  One might be flavour of the year for a year or two, then the other will add something new to the mix.  When I started it was all Canon, and that was only about 4 years ago.  It is only in the last year really that Nikon have started to pull ahead again.

"L series" lenses are Canon's professional range, basically.  You can get really good non-L series lenses, but it is really just a way of differentiating between their standard lenses and the ones that they put the $1.5+k price tags on.  They are really well built, and produce crisper, clearer images than similar non-L canon lenses.  I have the 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L and the 100mm f2.8 Macro (non-L series, although they have since added an L series 100mm Macro as well).  Before that I had the Tamron 28-75 and Canon 50mm f1.8, as well as the kit lenses, but they are mostly used by Hannah now on the 350D, which has become one of "her" cameras. lol.

I am not sure how Nikon differentiate between their standard and professional lenses, if they do at all.

If your gut says Nikon, then go with it, (but as I said, just check that it will auto-focus with all Nikon lenses) but just keep in mind that the lenses are generally a little more expensive (for example the 24-70 f2.8, Canon is upwards of about $1700, Nikkor is upwards of $2300).  I think that whichever you go with, you will be happy.

Edited by ~*Sharon*~, 18 January 2010 - 05:30 PM.

#72 Starbuck

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

Well, what an eventful night.
Rosie was getting herself out of the bath and had one leg on either side of the bath. Not sure of the exact details here as I was not in the room, but she fell somehow. We took her to the ED as there was heaps of bleeding. No stitches, but she is going to be very sore for the next few days. They have prescribed panadeine and nurofen for the next 4 days. 4 lots of Panadeine (at a kids dose) and 2 lots of nurofen per day. (I had initially written more details, but thought it best not to have them in the end, given the nature of the injury and it being the WWW) Poor little thing. :-(

Edited by Starbuck, 19 January 2010 - 10:05 AM.

#73 bellemae

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

Oh Kirsten how scary for you all. Poor little Rosie sad.gif Hope she's feeling better soon.

#74 Kay1

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

Oh my gosh Kirsten, how awful! I hope Rosie is okay soon.

Sharon - My friend of the Nikons tells me I shouldn't waste my money on the kit lenses (18-55 and 55-200) and intead buy one good 18-200. This adds about $500 to the package in total though :uncertain: Arghhhh.....!

Have you ordered through Adorama btw? He reckons its the biz as long as you keep your order under $1000 so you avoid duty. I could save a bit if I get either the body or lense there. I was going to get a 50mm 1.8f as well but he reckons the 28mm lense is the one I am after for portraits not the 55mm. shrug.gif

#75 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:20 PM

I never like the wider lenses for portraits - I used the 50mm on the cropped sensor, and now on full frame I use mostly the 70-200.  With kids, the extra length is nice so you don't have to be quite as in their faces.

These were all taken with my 100mm Macro (obviously not using it as a Macro lens at the time):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/427542...4c3c60132_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/425385...321637399_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2481/425112...15d4872be_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/424970...61c12fa7a_o.jpg
(that last one was actually taken with me holding the camera and pressing the button, but the strap was around Toby's neck, and the camera was being held up to his eye... lol)

And this was taken while we were away with the 70-200 @ 200mm

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2756/418417...00c57561c_o.jpg

This is probably about as wide as I go, and this was taken at 66mm (using the 24-70mm lens):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/423269...26ce187fc_o.jpg

The issue with anything too wide is that it tends to distort slightly, so in that last shot, were it taken with a 28mm lens, his head nd feet would look a bit bigger.

I order my things these days from www.photo.co.nz because they come with the genuine Canon/Nikon warranty (the Australasia one) but you get around the whole customs/tax thing!  The last thing I ordered was my 70-200, which was over the $1000 customs thing, but it was not picked up at any stage (despite the value being clearly marked) so I think it is a bit luck of the draw as to whether you end up paying it.  It was going to work out cheaper to get it either way, though, and I did still budget to need to pay the customs fees.

I definitely agree about getting one better lens, although which you get really depends on what you want it for.  I am not a huge fan of the all-in-one lenses, as while they are definitely a step up from the kit lens, they are still not as good as a shorter range zoom or a prime lens.  I would suggest something more of the 24-70 or if you want range, the 18-105 reviews slightly better than the 18-200 (and is cheaper), and you can use your feet to get you closer.  Basically it comes down to the old saying, Jack of all trades, master of none.  A lens that can do it all is going to have to lose quality to do it.

There is actually a package you can get with the D90 and 18 - 105 (from the photo.co.nz website):

Nikon D90+18-105mmVR+4.0GB   $2,590.00 (which AUD is $2070-ish) plus postage.

From what you have said, my recommendation would be to get that combo, and then if you find you are wanting to add something else to it down the track you can have some idea of what you are using it at, and get the 28/50/85mm prime somewhere down the track (and when you have saved another $3.5k you can get a 70-200 as well...).  It will give you a reasonable quality lens to get you started, though.

(If you like, I can do a little more research for you tomorrow, but I am sitting here busting for the loo, and I am using that as incentive to get off the computer and go downstairs! lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.