Alternatives to lollie bags?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Blonde

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

Looking for suggestions to give as party favours other than lollie bags.  The only alternative I can come up with is colouring books and that was done at the last two parties we went to sad.gif

I just hate handing out lollies at the end of a party when the kids are already full of junk.

#2 JJ01

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

Hi OP

We do a favour bag, which is the theme of the party

So in 2008, DS turned 3 and he wanted an ELMO theme, so the kids got yellow and red glossy paper bags ( like the brown paper takeaway ones, a small version ) and inside they got ELMO stuff like stickers, crayons, bubbles etc and then we sealed the bags with a small ELMO sticker

HTH

#3 essentiallyme

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

The new bags they have at Big W.
There are a variety of themes with different items in them.
DD5yrs got a Tinkerbell one and a Harry Potter one to keep her occupied in the car on the way to canberra.
I think they were $5 each.

#4 szj

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

I hate lolly bag with a passion!!!!

Last party I gave each child a flower plant to take home and grow

#5 STB4

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

party poopers ... unsure.gif blink.gif

#6 kshy

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

We do party boxes - I dont put lollies in there, instead as the kids get prizes or from the pinyata they all go in the box - DD has made each of her friends coming to the party a bracelet with their names on them

But yeah I hate her coming home after eating crappy food and then wanting to eat lollies as well

#7 foofoo

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

DD's 4th birthday is coming up.  I am thinking of hair things for the girls (clips, ties, headband).  Kmart now have a whole range of $2 toys.  I am thinking of a little plastic man with a parchute for the boys (DS has one a is always playing with it) and probably a pack of those character cards like Ben10.

In the past I have a pack with a facewasher and a bath toy/bath book.

#8 Nina's Mummy

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:07 PM

I was going to suggest an activity pack (colouring books, small puzzle, slinky maybe) and how about bubbles?

Love the plant idea also, that is really cool

#9 drphillskaren

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

For my DD 2nd birthday I had party bags but had party tos in them - you know plsatic rings, bracelets, toy cars for the boys, blowers for each and to help fill up the bag a small packet of chips and a few lollies, at least the chips arent quite as bag as heaps of lollies

Oh also a thing of bubbles

Have fun

#10 fooiesmum

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

I was going to suggest a packet of flower seeds & a small pot ready to plant up.

Depends if it's a girl party you could paint the pots as part of the part & 1 small bag of potting mix will fill heaps of pots.

Cheap shaped ice cube trays are great for individual soap molds - pour & melt soap with colouring, super easy to make & each child gets some soaps to take home.

#11 threetimesblessed

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

I have done noodle boxes that had a small tub of playdough, crayons, stickers, bubbles.

Can do hair clips, bracelets, necklaces, rings for the girls. Cars for the boys.

Other ideas: yoyos, puzzles, pack of cards.

#12 AnotherFeral

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

One of the 'games' could be a craft activity where each child decorates a plant pot. Each child gets to take home their pot with a plant in it. If you can tolerate the mess, you could get them to put the potting mix and seedlings in themselves. Otherwise get an adult helper to quickly do it before the end of the party.

Also, playdough (home made is cheaper) and some cutters or playdough tools are good. You can get bulk packs of cutters on ebay.

#13 kotchiornok

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

Hate giving out more lollies too, but I'm not hugely keen on cheap plastic toys that break really soon and just become landfill either.
Love the seedling and pot idea.
Does the party have a theme, maybe some sort of related item?

One year I had lolly bags without "lollies" instead I had a small toy, tiny packet of sultanas, sesame snaps, fruit stick etc. The kids didn't notice the difference (they were about 4yrs old) - although these things are all still quite sugary. Most parents thought it was great though.

Otherwise the kids could decorate a paper bag (or other container that matches the theme) and go on a treasure hunt for small gifts. I try to keep things plastic free  and use stuff like little notepads, cute pencils, glass marbles, small wooden/tin toys (not so easy to find cheaply). Or they choose a present like this from a "lucky dip" as they leave.

Friend of mine had a PJ party and all the kids got a small torch, toothbrush and face-washer in a little bag to use there and take home later.

Things that involve activities at the party:

Painting on porcelain plates/cups (you could probably get some from Vinnies & just by the special paints) which you bake in oven then let kids take home.

Buy cheap cloth hats and get the gets to decorate them with fabric markers, then take home - ditto for aprons/singlets/T-shirts

CD/DVD of a "show" the kids put on (if you have someone technically savvy who can do this from home during the party.)

Have a baking party, get the kids to do something age appropriate (ie even just icing on arrowroot biscuits which they decorate) and then take home (or eat there) with a chefs pack containing things like small wooden spoon, rolling pin etc.

Playdough and cutters (but some people give this as a gift to might be embarrassing).

#14 Electro

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

Best an cheapest thing I ever did was at my DS's 3rd bday party.  I went to the $2 and bought about 15 hula hoops.  We had the party in a park s we just gave each kidlet their hoop...they all went nuts entertaining themselves playing with their hoops...then just took them home.

Alot of the parents I see almost 2 years later say what a great idea it was...entertainment and a pressie in one, and that it's still a toy that gets a workout original.gif

#15 Berny

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

I was going to do toffee apples this year and then changed my mind and handed out lolly bags again as I could buy them in advance.  But, next year I think I will order a dozen toffee apples and attach ribbon and a thank you card or something - or maybe even a small toy or something relating to the party theme.  They are slightly healthy but still covered in sugar so children think of them as treats.

#16 baddmammajamma

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

DD had a disco party for her 4th & we handed out home-burned disco mixes (thanks itunes!) Big hit with kids AND parents!

Love the hula hoop idea!

#17 Janey!

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

One thing we did so as not to give any more lollies to take way after the party, was to hand out a paper bag to each child as they arrived at the party. They would sit at the table and decorate their 'lolly bag'. They then had to keep their lolly bag with them throughout the party, so that whenever we played a game that involved lollies or prizes they could collect them up in the bag. Therefore they're not expecting anything extra as they leave & we're not over-doing the sugar intake! (& if they ate them all before pick-up it's their problem!) laughing2.gif

We've also made mix CDs of songs that were played at the party for the kids to take home...but thinking about this now it's not exactly a copyright friendly idea unsure.gif ...these were they days before music downloading & dvd burning hype! lol

#18 Jazzah

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

Our 8 year old twins had a swimming pool party (Their venue where they have lessons have them) so instead of lolly bags we gave them a beach towel each! I found them 2 for $14.95 at Homeart and they were pretty good! Most parents loved it, so go for it, be creative try soemthing different!me

#19 Chocolate Addict

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

I don't serve lollies at my kids parties and prefer not to send any home either. I usually put a lot of trinkets in the loot bag.

Last year at a girlfriends daughters party she had lucky dip on the way out. She had gone to cheap shops and kmart etc picking up bargain small toys for no more than $3 each. She wrapped them in newspaper and did a boy box and a girl box. It was a massive hit. My son has not stopped talking about it since. This was in October. lol Needless to say we are doing it for his party.

I have so far bought some bead/jewellery kits from coles reduced from $4 to $2, matchbox cars pens that are $2.30, small board books for the under 3yo's etc.. I think it will be much cheaper than lolly bags and nicer than bags of lollies. original.gif

#20 jamdonut

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (soontobe3 @ 26/01/2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
party poopers ... unsure.gif  blink.gif

I agree! laugh.gif I used to love nothing more than getting loaded on creaming soda, cake and lollies and then inhaling the contents of the lolly bag before mum came to collect me. Of course I always puked in the car on the way home.

Seriously though, I like the PP's suggestion about a lucky dip. Cute idea!

#21 Guest_cathode_*

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

Disposable cameras?

#22 Seventh Heaven

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

I hate lollie bags too.  For my DD's birthday last year, we had a plaster pack for each child to take home.  The lady that made them, even put a sticker on the top saying "Thanks for Coming to DD's 5th Birthday".  She also made the plasters girls themed (so fairy's etc)

They were a huge hit.  They cost me $3 or $4 each from memory.

http://www.preciousparcels.com.au/plaster.htm

Edited by Seventh Heaven, 14 April 2010 - 07:04 PM.

#23 packagedeal

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

For my DS 2 we did buckets and spades
DS 5 we did home made glitter playdoh and cookie cutters
DS  9  we did disposable camereas
love the towel idea!!!!

#24 afro

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

We went to a party last week and they had a great alternative to lollies. They had these beautiful wooden clown cars (for boys) and wooden handle skipping rope (for girls). The kids loved them.

Edited by afro, 14 April 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#25 mummyof*4*

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

A great idea I saw on a TV show  is to take a photo of all the kids with your child as they arrive at the party.

The kids can then decorate their own photo frame and put the photo of themselves in it ( printed from your home computer) to take home as a memento.

Would work great for a themed dress up party I would think.

Love the idea of a lucky dip though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.