Alternatives to lollie bags?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 Cinzia

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:18 AM

A little off topic - however we prefer not to have the usual "party food" in abundance and give the kids a lolly bag.

It just seems to me that so many children do not get sweets - which is perfectly fine , but a lolly bag at the end of the party is just soo special for most kids.

I would not serve lollies, cakes and chocolate , chips ect at the actual party ( or limit it ) and then give them a lolly bag.  Doesn't have to be bursting at the seams.

#27 needsomesleep2

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

For DD's 5th birthday I gave the kids a book each and had DD make a book mark for each child thanking them for coming to the party and I laminated and wrapped it up with the book. I also included some stickers, a balloon and a chocolate frog! So only a tiny bit of sugar original.gif

#28 LisaMaree82

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

I make playdough and put it into snack size zip lock bags.  The kids and the parents love it original.gif

#29 Live.Love.Learn

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (soontobe3 @ 26/01/2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
party poopers ... unsure.gif blink.gif

laughing2.gif

#30 Ciel

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (Live.Love.Learn @ 23/04/2010, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laughing2.gif

laughing2.gif

Seriously, though, I'm loving this thread - I have a bigger problem knowing lots of kids with allergies, who can't have the usual lollies/chocs etc (you'd be amazed how many lollies either have gluten or dairy products in them!!), so I'm loving all the ideas, so that those kids don't miss out on party bags AS WELL as missing out on most of the party food!!

Edited by Ciel, 23 April 2010 - 12:51 PM.

#31 DontKnowDontCare

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

Oh, I am so loving some of you for these ideas!

I am thinking of having an at home party for my son for his birthday (although technically I'm not in the right section age wise - sorry!) and didn't altogether like the lolly bag idea.

NOT because it's not "healthy" (I think a bit of crap food occasionally isn't going to hurt MOST children) but because this way they've got something to keep from the party, not just something to stuff their face with on the way home, then be completely feral for their parents later!

Keep the ideas coming please!!!!!

#32 a*different*person

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

Personally i'd prefer my kids to have a bag of lollies they can inhale than a bag full of plastic 'trinket' crap!
If you go with a gift I think the suggestions of a plant or photo frame way better than a bag of small $2 toys from kmart.  They are $2 for a reason - they are crap!  ph34r.gif

#33 kiwichick79

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

I knew a little girl who handed out coloured pencils with the childrens names on them. The kids loved it. She also had little notebooks as well.

#34 lizzybelle

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

As a card carry party pooper .... (I hate lollie bags), we've done:

• the pot/seeds thing previously mentioned
  • pencils/notebooks (themed)
  • bubbles
  • masks (decorated by the kids at the party - on a solid base not paper/card)
  • paint-your-own plastershape on a magnet (themed, and v popular)
  • paint-your-own shakers
  • when we've had a heap of guests with food intolerances I've made gluten/dairy free cupcakes and done a decorate your own cupcake thing -- that way chn can avoid what they need to avoid
  • origami rabbits (they're 3D) with simple puzzles inside (for 3-4 y.o.)
  • sometimes I make a game related to the theme --eg:we've had mini 'planks and ladders (snakes and ladders) for a pirate themed party -- really just a computer printed 'board' that I laminate, a couple of 'pieces' for each player and a die.

They're all cheap ideas, too.

#35 bumbum

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

Ladies, what do you think about a bag of marbles? Do you think 6 year olds would enjoy playing with marbles?

There are some great ideas so far.

I must say, I really love the pot and seed idea  original.gif

I have just thought of another idea. What about home made glitter playdough?

Edited by bumbum, 04 May 2010 - 03:39 PM.

#36 Guest_Boiled Snags_*

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

I wrote a blog / article about this a few months ago that has lots of ideas:

Healthy Lolly Bag ideas

#37 deedee70

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

My daughter had 5 friends for a sleepover party, I bought plain white teeshirts from kmart ($4 or $5 each) and some fabric paints..they all sat round table and decorated their shirts which were dry and ironed (to fix, not because I like to iron!!)by morning and those were taken home..no lollies! They each also got photos of the group a couple of days later when I'd got round to getting them printed!

#38 netballgirls

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

when my kids were pre-schoolers I remember a torch being handed out at the end of the party insteady of lolly bags.  You can pick torches up fairly cheaply and they were a huge hit.

#39 Riotproof

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:09 PM

Do little girls still play Jacks? Can you still buy them?

#40 Flossie

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

I have put glitter glue, foam shape stickers in mine along with bubbles a couple of sweets.  The glitter glue is cheap at Target you get 5 colours for $1 so I put 2 in each.  I also have made personalised party labels to go on the chocolates (I used those furry friends chocolates) and put something like this on it

Thanks for celebrating my Birthday with me and put the same picture as what I had put on the invitation so all tied in with the theme.  Easy to do for me as I did my invitations up myself using a clip art picture etc.  

Also thanks of all the great ideas they are helpful

#41 bugalugs

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:26 PM

Just had 4 year old DD party and we gave out the cutest little ballerina mice that had hair ties on the arms, body and feet. Absolutely gorgeous and the mums and kids loved them. They were $4 from Cheap as chips!

They didnt look $4 and sooo much better and long lasting than lollies! They were all full of sugar from the party and the mums all thanked me for not supplying sugar!

#42 Mamaidh

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:42 PM

this has brought back memories of a party I went to where the lolly bag alternative was a big disaster.  It was a 5th birthday and the mum organised a treasure hunt just before going home time, and that was to be the guest's gift to take home.  Problem was she bought all of the girls a beautiful glass and ceramic fairy snow dome - one was already broken before it was unwrapped, and 3 more broke before they had time to get out the door.  Lots of tears shed that day!

My standard is to do a bag with some combination of the following - stickers, balloons, bubbles, coloured pencils, fancy pencils and/or erasers, small book, matchbox car, hair accessories plus one or two sweet treats such as a choc frog and a little packet of natural jelly dinasaurs. I also have minimal sugar at the party - usually just the one bowl of natural lollies, plus the birthday cake.  Just enough to make it feel like a party, but not so much that the parents have an awful few hours afterwards.

#43 speakyourmind

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

what about a small bubble blowing kit ($2 at toysrus)

Edited by speakyourmind, 12 May 2010 - 10:44 PM.

#44 green apples

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:47 PM

I also hate bringing home those crap plastic toys/party fillers. Even pencils/hairclips etc are usually just cheapies and end up breakng etc.

How about a gngerbread man, decorated and wrapped in cello.

#45 xenabonjovi

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

We have hired a face painter for our dd 5th birthday (big expense but she has not had a party for three yrs and won't have another "party" for about 5) who will also do balloon animals for each child. This willreplace the lolly bag. plus we are only have the smallest amount of lollies at the party.

#46 Heffalump

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

DD's birthday party is coming up soon and the loot bag for her party will contain:

Small pair of kid's binoculars
bubble necklace - small bottle of bubbles hung on a string
stickers
colouring book + pencils
small slinky
make it yourself flying helicopter toy
torch
and one other little thing - can't remember and can't be bothered going to look!

Got them off Ebay and the pack comes out to about $6.50 per child - Bargain!!

I love the lucky dip idea!! Will definitely do that for next year!! biggrin.gif

ETA:

Oh, and not a lolly in sight.  Gosh I'm mean.

Edited by Heffalump, 13 May 2010 - 08:53 AM.

#47 arlene1995

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:52 AM

I dont serve lollies at kids birthday parties - cake, chips and choc crackles are the most I will go to.

Gift bags usually include
- card games - old maid/snap etc - you can buy packs of 4 at the $2 shop
- bubbles
- hair ties/clips
- streamer poppers
- pencils
- coloured erasers
- thank you card made on the computer

#48 WonkieTonkie

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

For DS' 5th birthday party I ordered everyone a flashing cola glass from everythingglows.com.au (it's wholesale though so an ABN is needed).  We put balloons, stickers and a little plastic toy in there and then the kids collected pinata lollies to put in their cups.

#49 Flimsy*But*Fun

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

We usually decorate the party room with helium balloons, so each child goes home with a helium balloon and a sticker sheet.

#50 4littlemonkeys

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

A great idea I saw on a TV show  is to take a photo of all the kids with your child as they arrive at the party.

The kids can then decorate their own photo frame and put the photo of themselves in it ( printed from your home computer) to take home as a memento.

I love this idea! Think I might steal it for my DD's birthday next weekend. We are having a sweet shoppe theme party - so lots of lollies!!  I don't mind lollies at parties as we only have the two parties a year.  I am also going to give the kids a big lollipop to take home.  

We usually do a party box / bag with a few lollies, and some stuff from party shops but the photo frames sound great, as it would also be a craft activity at the party! original.gif

Edited by ~*Rach*~, 22 May 2010 - 05:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.