Alternatives to lollie bags?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 Julie3Girls

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:47 PM

Hate the streamer poppers .. not safe for kids in my opinion, especially in a young child's party bag. Also hate the tiny bottles of bubble stuff - much prefer if they are given out and used at the party, rather than sitting around in party bags, and ending up in the girls bedrooms spilling somewhere.

I do my party bags with a few lollies - lollipop, small box of smarties, candy necklace. And the one or two novelties.
Ones I've done ..
Tiny fairy wands
Pencils
necklace/bracelet
hair clips.

I don't mind one or two little things, but one party DD came home with this huge bag - cheap dress up heels, pile of dressup jewelry, plastic sunnies, and all this other plastic junk.  Ok, 1 or 2 fine, but there was so much stuff in there that most of it just ended up straight in the bottom of the toy box.
Same with the lollies  .. I have NO problem with lollies - it's a party, and my girls have never been the sort to gorge themselves sick. Just not huge overflowing bags.

It's about moderation.
I don't want huge amounts of lollies, or piles of plastic garbage. A few lollies they can eat later, a novelty or two that they can use/play with.

DD1 is having a sleepover party in 2 weeks. Only a couple of kids, so I'm giving them each a little torch (to use during the night) and considering doing pillowcases and fabric pens. Or maybe decorating a frame and I'll add the photo. But the last two are more as activities to entertain them, not just a party favour.

#52 mummy to e&j

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

My daughter just had a pyjama party for her 6th birthday.  

The lolly bags I gave out had some things I'd picked up from Target that were going out cheap, like lip glosses, some high school musical wallets $1, a couple little lollies and a chuppa chup.  I'd also picked up from Spotlight some bumble bee wings/wands for $1.24 each, but was later told by my daughter that she didn't want one, as she wasn't a baby anymore LOL  *oops*  they were a hit though.  

It doesn't have to be expensive, and it doesn't have to be filled to the brim with lollies.  I usually end up throwing out my kids lolly bags that they bring home, as it's all still sitting there a week later.

#53 Wild Strawberry

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

We are having a superhero party for DS1s 5th birthday and i am giving all the guests a superhero cape. Would have been cheaper to do a lolly bag but thought this was a good idea as they can use them at the party and then take them home original.gif

#54 arty

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

We had a small lego toy and homemade gingerbread men. i packed them in cellophane bags and tied them with a ribbon. Attached the ingredients list and a thank you note.

#55 Lia

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

DS1 7th b'day was last weekend. We had a pool party at the YMCA, so I didnt bother doing games /prizes. I didnt do massive part food either, had pizza, fruit platter, plain chips and the birthday cake was a tower of cupcakes.

Loot bag had:
Pencil with a coloured grip thingo around it
mini hilighter
eraser (groovy shape)
balloon
Rubber ball
mini chocolate (from a box of cadbury favourites)
chup a chup
5 or so natural confectionery lollies

I kind of figured that their was a mix of useful stuff and a few lollies to keep them happy given their werent any at the party!

The kids all seemed to love it...... they are all obsessed with stationary at this age.......Smiggle is their wonderland! I bought all the stuff at Target or Kmart. Target had 12 packs of erasers in all different designs, and 6 packs of mini hilighters reduced to 58c. Kmart had 15 pack of pencils and 6 packs of grippers going out for 75c. The balls wer from the Rejects shop - 12 for $2.

I gave every kid in his class a thing of bubble mix, so we couldnt do that in the bags.

#56 KristyMum-

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

I've stuck some ideas here (mostly because then I don't have to remember lol) and ditto to the pp who said 'theme' it to the party.

For example we had a small 'chef' party where the kids made their own pizzas, and they went home with an organic cake mix, small whisk etc in one of those 'shop' recycled paper bags with handles

small wooden 'kits' (make your own car etc)

These we did for DS1 - including printed off mazes on the computer in the shape of DS1's initial and his favourite thing (snakes)

I've made fabric drawstring bags in the 'theme' (frogs, snakes etc) and put things in that - the kids then use the bag for marbles or other treasures later

someone came home with a 'Lego' shaped rubber/eraser - (that was cool lol) in the party bag

we also do home made gingerbread men - one party I did gingerbread letters in the name of each child, another was 'bugs' so I did the gingerbread in the shapes of bugs etc, you can do number shapes or large letter shapes etc

also try checking out blogs via Google for party bag ideas - there's some great ones out there!

Good luck - your imagination really is the limit AND you can do it within in a budget if you plan ahead/plan smart original.gif

Edited by KristyMum-, 04 January 2011 - 04:04 PM.

#57 mayblie

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

This is just the wisdom i'm looking for! Thanks for the ideas. My son has food intolerance to colours and preservatives (sets off his excema and makes him an itchy scratchy mess!) so am definitely anti lolly bags and dread them and negotiating the nasties away from him!
Am planning the DS's 5th bdy so these ideas will be great.
To add to the pool of ideas, I wondered about modelling clay? you can often pick this up in supermarket for about $1. I find kids love it... different texture to playdough but similar.
Really like some of the ethical suggestions too!

#58 2424

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (deedee70 @ 08/05/2010, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My daughter had 5 friends for a sleepover party, I bought plain white teeshirts from kmart ($4 or $5 each) and some fabric paints..they all sat round table and decorated their shirts which were dry and ironed (to fix, not because I like to iron!!)by morning and those were taken home..no lollies! They each also got photos of the group a couple of days later when I'd got round to getting them printed!

Hi

what a fab idea!

Do you remember the name of the fabric paint you used??

ta

#59 smultron

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

My kids got lolly bags from a party last week- few token lollies and a small Lego person in a little bag- you know the small pkts with one Lego person to build- a collector series.  great idea imo.. wish I'd thought of it when Myer had a recent buy 2 get 3rd free deal.. would have worked out to $3 each and great party bags.

#60 MG05

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

For the last two years we have done cupcakes for DD's birthday cake and we leave it to the end.  We then box the cupcakes up and send them home with a small themed party gift.

#61 vegiepatch

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Loved the hulahoop and the lukcy dip ideas the most!

We just did tulle wrapped up with a ribbon with some lollies, bubbles and stickers in it for DD's 4th.

#62 MelZa

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

Im still deciding whether Im having an at home party or build a bear. My dd has food intolerance and we are doing failsafe, so all foods at ours will be FS recipes. I was thinking of giving each child something they wear at the party, like girls fairy/butterfly wings, and the boys a superhero cape or something like that, then they can take them home, and just do a really small loot bag with some stickers, a balloon etc. I have also seen some packs of plastic funky straws, my girls love them and I think they would be a hit in a loot bag. I love the idea of the photo of all the kids when they all arrive, printed out at home while they are playing,  and the cd of all the songs played  original.gif  I also like the idea of the plaster paint thingys and playdough!

#63 libbylu

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

Stickers or little plastic animals. I am not a fan of plastic rubbish in general, but we got some plastic animals in a party bag recently that DS actually plays with quite a bit.
Flower seeds are a great idea.
Last party had a bit of a pirate theme so I put in an eye patch and these cool pirate sticker/colouring books which I bought back all the way from London!

#64 hjv

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

Kmart sell fancy twirly straws for about 20cent each which are great in party bags.

I usually do sticker sheets a few lollies and 1 speack item (last year it was a nice pracelet each) plus I dont do lollies at the party apart from in pass the parcel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.