Bleeding on/off 9 weeks after C/S

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stella1980

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

Hi girls,

Just after some opinions

I had my 2nd baby 9 weeks ago. With my first I stopped bleeding completely by 6 weeks (I was living in a single storey house then). This time at 9 weeks I am still bleeding on and off, I will have a few days where I am not bleeding at all and some days it's just a smear (panty liner would be more than sufficient) and some days I need pads (blood is similar to 1st and 2nd day of menstruation). This time I also live in a double storey house and have a toddler to run around after.

Spoke to my OB yesterday and he said most common reason for persistent bleeding is infections so he put me on 2 different antibiotics. He was gonna put me on some hormones but since the mini pill decrease my milk supply the hormone tablets/injections are out.

I dont feel ill, no pain around the wound area inside and out, the blood doesnt smell (just smell like period blood).

Any of you ever experience this?

TIA

#2 b_con77

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

All of my postnatal experiences have been like this. With my first I actually had the infection due to "retained products". Believe me you would know, I had a warm feeling in the uterus area and I would gush at times in between. In the last day before the D & C I ran a fever. My next 2 babies were C-sec deliveries and postnatal bleeding was very inconsistent. With my second child I actually stopped for a couple of days at 4 weeks and then started again light, heavy, light, heavy right up to 9 weeks. For my third...my second c-sec...I had heavy bleeding right up to 6 weeks and then light, heavy, light, heavy right up to 10.5 weeks but my OB expected problems due to c-sec complications. We were both relieved when the bleeding stopped as she was talking about having to go back in and operate. Dont know if this will put your mind at rest but what i have learnt is some people are heavier bleeders than others. All of the women in my family bled for 8-10 weeks post deliveries and we all have fairly heavy periods. I would kill to be one of the lucky ones who bleeds for 2 weeks post partum and then has a bit of 'yellow stuff" for a while lol

Cheers

Bea

#3 leosmum

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hi OP, although I haven't had a C/S, I saw this in recent topics, and thought I would reply because I experienced lengthy bleeding too, but after a vaginal delivery. I bled for nearly 13 weeks continuously after giving birth to my DS. It finally stopped two days before I was scheduled for a D&C - much to my relief!! It was really annoying, so I empathise. Unfortunately I don't have much to add in terms of how to get it to STOP - but just wanted to say that bleeding can go on for a long time, and sometimes there's no obvious explanation.

Hope it stops soon!!

#4 tick

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

I had a caesar and bled for about that long too, VERY on-again-off-again.  It would stop for several days then re-start for a few days .... it was always fairly light bleeding and I never had any pain associated with it so I didn't see anyone about it.  It stopped eventually thank god!  I've got stairs in my house too, no toddler though but I certainly didn't avoid doing the chores etc.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

Hi OP,
I don't think it is too unusual to still be bleeding ay 9 week  post partum if the loss is only very light.
I didn't have a C/S but for all of mine I still needed a panty liner for about 12 weeks after delivery.
If the loss is scant and not offensive smelling then it might not be due to infection from retained products.  I have had bleeding once caused by an infection and boy did I know it  sad.gif the loss was horrible and I had quite a lot of pain and a bit of a moderate temperature too. I did end up with a D&C and they found just a piece of membrane the size of a 10 cent piece rolleyes.gif
It is probably more likely to be hormonal  and I think like you I would be reluctant to take any extra hormones whilst trying to breast feed. sad.gif
Good luck, I am sure it will sort itself out, one way or another hopefully all by itself.

Edited by soontobegran, 26 January 2010 - 05:37 PM.

#6 Aquarius~

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:20 AM

Ive had 3 c-sections and yes I have had times where I bled on and off it was because I was doing too much I needed to rest more and heal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.